The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #121
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Doess that mean I'm correct?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #122
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Sorry, no.

#2 is true... which means that you're wrong in identifying it as a lie. See?

(Clue: family relationships are the key to this one.)
Old 06-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #123
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
nr. 3 is lie

Frodo is in no way Bilbo's nephew . . .I am not sure how it works in english, but it looks like they are some sort of cousins.

Anyways I must admit that I was fooled by this question as well.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #124
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thumbs up

You have it, Rune.

(FYI: They're second cousins, once removed.)
Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #125
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
I never heard of a Beren with a "Beregond" son.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #126
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
They where both Stewards of Gondor.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #127
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

My Turn

1) Celon was a tributary of the Aros
2) Celos was a tributary of the Sirith
3) Gundor was the older brother of Galdor

Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #128
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

3.) Is a lie.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #129
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

correct. . .too easy?

Anyways it is your turn

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #130
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1. Elentir loved Miriel.
2. Forthwini was a King of Rohan.
3. Dudo Boggins attended Bilbo's Farewell Party.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #131
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
2) is wrong?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Isn't it 3 that's wrong?

*is excited*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #133
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ha! That hasn't been here for some time...

Though I think Forthwini sounds rather like Marhwini, and those were not Rohirrim, but the Northerners... well of course that does not prove anything... but Dudo, if he is the one I think he is, was there... or so I believe...

But hey, great. I am going to try to wake up TM
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #134
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Though I think Forthwini sounds rather like Marhwini, and those were not Rohirrim, but the Northerners... well of course that does not prove anything... but Dudo, if he is the one I think he is, was there... or so I believe...
Well, actually, you're probably right. Because I'm rather sure Forthwini was one of their kings before they moved to Rohan and I just didn't bother to think too much when I replied. Typical. But, on the other hand, I don't think the last name Boggins sounds familiar... sounds more like a nickname of Nogrod's. However, there's the chance that we are both wrong - because I have absolutely no idea about the truthfulness of the first one, except that it sounds silly.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #135
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well, actually, you're probably right. Because I'm rather sure Forthwini was one of their kings before they moved to Rohan and I just didn't bother to think too much when I replied. Typical. But, on the other hand, I don't think the last name Boggins sounds familiar... sounds more like a nickname of Nogrod's. However, there's the chance that we are both wrong - because I have absolutely no idea about the truthfulness of the first one, except that it sounds silly.
Yes, it does... And ah... you are right, I didn't notice that Boggins thing. Hmm... Or perhaps, what if all three are wrong? Now, let's ban him if he did that...
Old 11-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #136
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yep, Legate is right.

1) is correct if you check the background info of Númenor and 3) is correct, just a random Hobbit fact
Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #137
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Fine Okay, in that case I'll bring in something different... hmm...

1. Tower of Cirith Ungol was populated by about forty Orcs
2. Men of Rohan do not lie
3. Robin Smallburrow did conscript among the Shiriffs willingly
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #138
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Fine Okay, in that case I'll bring in something different... hmm...

1. Tower of Cirith Ungol was populated by about forty Orcs
2. Men of Rohan do not lie
3. Robin Smallburrow did conscript among the Shiriffs willingly
2 is wrong. Grima was both a man of Rohan and a liar.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #139
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
2 is wrong. Grima was both a man of Rohan and a liar.
An exception that proves the rule. Éomer in the Two Towers, to Aragorn (when meeting him for the first time):

Quote:
Yet you speak the truth, that is plain: the Men of the Mark do not lie, and therefore they are not easily deceived.
I don't have any evidence that would speak differently, so I believe Éomer on this (after all, he's supposed not to lie, right ).

So, no, 2. is true (in this aspect. Of course, we could argue...).
Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #140
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Actually, Andisigil has a very good point there, facts speak against what Eomer said, so I would actually consider that one false too.

Ok, but since you had something else in mind, 3) is wrong. Robin joined the Shiriffs willfully, only later on was he forced to remain in that position and to enforce several hard rules. 1) is correct, since we are told that Shagrat led about 40 orcs to investigate, this was his garrison from the Tower.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #141
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Actually, Andisigil has a very good point there, facts speak against what Eomer said, so I would actually consider that one false too.

Ok, but since you had something else in mind, 3) is wrong. Robin joined the Shiriffs willfully, only later on was he forced to remain in that position and to enforce several hard rules. 1) is correct, since we are told that Shagrat led about 40 orcs to investigate, this was his garrison from the Tower.
Oh, well. I thought I had a good point, but there was another answer in mind.

I suppose it's like taking the S.A.T., when they remind you to choose the "best" answer for a question, even if you might find that more than one of your possible choices are correct.

Still, I did think that Grima was the most salient. (shrug)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #142
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Eye

Ha haa, and now you are wrong, Miggy. Because you get caught in the double-trap laid by me. First, if you read it, 3) says that he did join the Shiriffs willingly. And that is true. And 1) was the master-trap of it all, because Shagrat HAD forty orcs with him as a patrol, but in the very same place where this is told, the sentence continues that there were probably more in the tower itself (which is what I was talking about - the whole population of the tower, as you can read, I did not speak about just Shagrat's "recon team", which indeed had about 40 Orcs).

And as for the "Rohirrim don't lie" thing, it was a general statement: the same as if I said "Elves are tall", or "Hobbits do not work well with mechanic tools". Surely you will find a smaller Elf or a Hobbit who can work with mechanical tools (for example Sandyman), but it's something like a general statement.

Okay, I will post a new one then.

1. Mithril was found on Númenor
2. Hobbits were present in the Battle of Fornost
3. Dwalin never visited Mirkwood before his journey with Bilbo
Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #143
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

3 is a lie.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #144
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Correct The thread is yours. Just out of curiosity, do you know why, or did you just come to that conclusion by the method of ruling out the rest?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #145
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Correct The thread is yours. Just out of curiosity, do you know why, or did you just come to that conclusion by the method of ruling out the rest?
I knew for sure that 2 was true, I had a pretty strong recollection that 1 was true also, so it left me with 3 - and I realised it must be correct based on the Dwarven history I've been rereading lately... I remember those Dwarves went there for some reason - wasn't it when Thráin was taken by Sauron?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #146
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I knew for sure that 2 was true, I had a pretty strong recollection that 1 was true also, so it left me with 3 - and I realised it must be correct based on the Dwarven history I've been rereading lately... I remember those Dwarves went there for some reason - wasn't it when Thráin was taken by Sauron?
Yes, it was. Balin and Dwalin were there when he was taken from the middle of the camp right under their nose. Most fascinating.

Anyway, post the next one, please
Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #147
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Bah, how tricky...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #148
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silmaril Here comes...

Okay, here's a traffic light question for you:

1. Maedhros, Amrod and Amras got their red hair colour from their grandmother.
2. The eyes of the Swan-ship of Lórien were yellow.
3. Frodo was given green clothes in Rivendell.

And now I remember why I took a pause from the Quiz Room (apart from being genuinely busy, that is) - coming up with these questions is really painful.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #149
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok:

1 is wrong, they had the auburn-coloured hair from their grandfather Mahtan.
2 is correct, it is said the eyes glinted like jet set in yellow stones, so the iris colour was yellow.
3 is also correct since we learn Frodo found green garments which fitted him perfectly.

Btw, nice idea Lommy!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #150
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

You're right, of course.

I always prefer making questions where the statements have something in common with each other, it just feels "neater".
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #151
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, Thinlómien, in your honour I'll try to design a similar question, with different colours however so as to celebrate the National Day of Romania tomorrow.

Balin had a red hood.
Tom Bombadil had white candles on the table.
Noldor lamps sent out blue light.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #152
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

The Tom Bombadil one is not true.

First, I am pretty certain about the two others. And if that was not enough for me, then second, I believe the candles were yellow. And related to that, third, white is not on the Romanian flag, if I recall well
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #153
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah too easy indeed and you actually answered it before the National Day even started, 4 minutes still left.

Alas, take it away, sir!

EDIT: Just realised the first sentence is relative, as it's already noon in Australia.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #154
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

All right. Hmm...

Mim was killed in his own halls.
Thingol was killed in his own halls.
Dáin I. was killed in his own halls.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #155
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The first one is a lie, right?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #156
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed. This one was relatively easy. You may give us a new one
Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #157
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Indeed. This one was relatively easy. You may give us a new one
Yes, I was wondering whether you've changed your ways and started asking uncharacteristically easy questions, or whether that was a trick question of some sort and I'm just a little slow-witted... Okay, but I'll think of something.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #158
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Blah I haven't been able to come up with something and it's just been too difficult for me, so I'll now write just whatever comes to my mind.

So, let's proceed...

1. Brytta was loved by his people.
2. Fastred and Folcred were brothers.
3. Goldwine was killed by Orcs.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #159
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The first two are correct, the last not, as Goldwine was not killed by Orcs as far as I know.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #160
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
The first two are correct, the last not, as Goldwine was not killed by Orcs as far as I know.
Indeed. Seemingly it wasn't too hard... Please take the thread, Miggy.