The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #121
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yup, it's Bilbo. I knew it was easy but I supposed that people will try to seek something more complicated in it.

It's your turn now.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #122
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
well, I did, in the beginning
but after I reminded of the events in The Hobbit I was pretty sure it was Bilbo

The name of this land comes from a terrible cry
Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #123
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Lammoth...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #124
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

well...it was quite obvious I guess
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #125
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, the trouble is that in thread like this if you ask for something "common", it would be likely very easy to answer.
Hope at least this will not be a first-thought case:

Remember that one who lost one front tooth?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #126
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Viggo Mortensen ?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #127
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

!!!
But no, it was not him.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #128
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Eye

well, I wasn't able find any character that actually lost a tooth, but I probably didn't look hard enough

maybe a small hint would be good
Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #129
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, since I didn't want this to be too obvious, I might add that this character's tooth was, ehm, forced to leave his mouth after being persuaded by a wooden branch
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #130
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No one knows??? Don't give me that!

I can now tell you, all you Downers who have read my description and didn't guess the right answer, that you seriously have lost the right to call yourselves "the wise in Tolkien-lore"! Saruman, you have studied the deep knowledge of ancient scrolls for so long that you lost view of the most obvious things! Or is it that the help must come from the hands of weak when wise falter?

Note: Includes hint
Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #131
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Saruman lost a tooth?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #132
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, it's not that obvious Okay, I meant that the answer is not in any of the "sophisticated books", neither HoME, nor Unfinished Tales... generally, I think that someone who just came to contact with Tolkien's work half a year ago could beat in answering someone who has spent ten years reading all the books from back to front...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #133
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My guess is a Hobbit... just because getting smacked in the face with a tree branch sounds like something a Hobbit would do. :P
*frantically ruffles through book*

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #134
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Oh yeah, I remember searching for this answer some time ago but I eventually gave up as I wasn't able to locate it.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #135
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hint, here

You are correct about the Hobbit, it is not really such a problem - try to imagine all the possibilities where in Hobbit someone could have been hit by a tree branch and lost a tooth... (you can start by ellimination method - e.g. it couldn't have been the spiders in Mirkwood, because spiders don't have teeth; it couldn't have been Gollum, because there were no trees around... I think I have said quite enough)
Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #136
Ataralasse
Pile O'Bones

Ataralasse has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I don't know his name, but it was one of the Trolls in The Hobbit!! I think it was Tom.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #137
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Tremendous applause!

Yes, that was Tom. And Thorin was the one who did it to him, by the way.

Great job, Ataralasse! You managed to solve a thing that has been lying here unsolved for weeks... You can post the next question.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #138
Ataralasse
Pile O'Bones

Leaf

Woohoo! I read the vague description, and thought, 'Oh, oh, I know that one! But someone has GOT to have answered it already ::sigh:: ... ' and then suddenly I was at the bottom of the page. I've never typed so fast in my life. Hehe.

So, hm, vague description ...

Does this character have light hair or dark hair?!

Vague enough? Or too much?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #139
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Legolas, by any chance?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #140
Ataralasse
Pile O'Bones

Leaf

Ai! Too easy.

Your go.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #141
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thinlomien, are you going to post a new one, or should I?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #142
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok, since nobody posted for sooo long, I will

This character received a bag of money in his mouth.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #143
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Wasn't that Thror? I don't recall now exactly if I don't confuse it...
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #144
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, not really.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #145
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Then it was Azog? Nár received some gold from Azog "for message" and the Dwarves later made Azog (after his decapitation) "eat this".
Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #146
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #147
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, silly but...

This guy was almost as old as the boy's uncle.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #148
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Is the guy same as the boy?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #149
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, someone different. One person was almost as old as one boy's uncle. But it's vague description, so it refers to... well, certain situation... it's surely possible to guess it easily.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #150
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Perhaps a little hint as I have many ideas but not sure what direction I shoulg go in.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #151
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

A hint? Hmm... what about this: The boy said it. (Meaning the boy said that that person X is almost as old as his uncle.)
Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #152
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eye How silly of me not to get this before...

It's Pippin, right?
And in that case the boy is Bergil.

I think I was all too concentrated on Bagginses and other Hobbiton hobbits when trying to solve this one.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #153
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

How silly of you, maybe, but at least you are right

Please, continue
Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #154
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry it took me so long to post this... :)

This person was the chief of the ten loyal ones.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #155
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm... what about Finrod Felagund?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #156
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nope...
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #157
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I believe that Legate was reffering to the same moment, however the chief f the ten was Edrahil.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #158
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

You're correct...
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #159
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Uh-huh! And now I probably understand why Lommy included that smiley there
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #160
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Uh-huh! And now I probably understand why Lommy included that smiley there

And I almost added "but you're very close" but then I decided it was too early to give any hints...