The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #201
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The disease (as you may logically conclude from what I said) is specifically named in the books. So it is not "some disease" (unspecified) nor "catomisia" (something whose name you just make up without any support for it in the text) but something named in the book.

Okay, another hint (though I am not sure if it will help or if it will confuse things more If it seemed confusing to you, you would perhaps do better by ignoring it): There was a certain group of inhabitants of M-E who all had this disease by default. (This person, who is the subject of the question, was not one of them, though.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #202
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
You've got to be making this up, Legate.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #203
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
No way, my good Gollum. Okay, another hint. One of the group mentioned above died recently before the person in question left its home place. These events were closely related (not totally, like one being consequence of the other, but simply related to each other). And, to add, the death of this one mentioned above was not a result of the disease. The disease itself is not lethal. But very often throughout the history of M-E, somebody died as an outcome of that disease. However, it was not the disease itself that killed them.

That's a lot of hints, I'd say. Try to put all the evidence together and try to think.

And remember, still: we are looking for one certain person about whom we read as being vulnerable to this disease. (Like I said, there were many who had this disease, and probably also some who were vulnerable to it, but about this one we know because the book says it.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #204
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I can only think of the Sackville-Bagginses and their sort of cleptomania , but that does not fit more than maybe half of the hints...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #205
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, but actually, you are far, far closer to the correct answer than all of those who posted here this far have been. You are very, very close, from several aspects.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #206
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Cleptomania?

Well, actually I was going to say Sméagol curious "disease" of greedily wanting mroe presents for himself.

After all this affected all Hobbits, and because of it he eventually had to move far away from his home place, but did not die because of it... well ok, maybe he did.

But anyway, since you said the person did not belong to the group of people affected by it by default it cannon be right...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #207
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed, it isn't Sméagol. You are heading in the right direction, though. Now I think this is the time to emphasise the important thing from the original question: it is really explicitely said in the book that this person was vulnerable to some sort of disease. In the italicised part, I am not making up any metaphores of my own, I am merely recounting what the book says at some point.

And the person about whom this whole question is, just to remind of it because all the hints may have created a bit of confusing atmosphere, did not die because of this disease - at least it is not said in the books.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #208
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wait, wait, you're tricky.
Looking for what you speak of, I cam across this quote from the UT:

Quote:
In a letter written in September 1954 my father said: "At the beginning of the Second Age he [Sauron] was still beautiful to look at, or could still assume a beautiful visible shape – and was not indeed wholly evil, not unless all 'reformers' who want to hurry up with 'reconstruction' and 'reorganization' are wholly evil, even before pride and the lust to exert their will eat them up. The particular branch of the High Elves concerned, the Noldor or Loremasters, were always vulnerable on the side of 'science and technology,' as we should call it: they wanted to have the knowledge that Sauron genuinely had, and those of Eregion refused the warnings of Gil-galad and Elrond. The particular 'desire' of the Eregion Elves – an 'allegory' if you like of a love of machinery, and technical devices – is also symbolized by their special friendship with the Dwarves of Moria." ~ note 8 of Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn
Ok, so this a kind of "disease", somewhat like Sméagol's greed for treasure, their greed for knowledge.

Now, who could still be like that... Saruman?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #209
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Wow, Might, I would think you're right, except that I'm not sure if this hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
6. We actually don't know anything about the person since it caught this disease.
fits. And what about this hint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate, bolding mine
One of the group mentioned above died recently before the person in question left its home place. These events were closely related (not totally, like one being consequence of the other, but simply related to each other). And, to add, the death of this one mentioned above was not a result of the disease. The disease itself is not lethal. But very often throughout the history of M-E, somebody died as an outcome of that disease. However, it was not the disease itself that killed them.
It almost fits, but doesn't. Or then I'm just a little slow.

I guess we must just wait for Legate to come and tell you whether you're correct or not...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #210
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Exactly, it doesn't fit at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Wait, wait, you're tricky.
Looking for what you speak of, I cam across this quote from the UT:

Ok, so this a kind of "disease", somewhat like Sméagol's greed for treasure, their greed for knowledge.

Now, who could still be like that... Saruman?
And again, I did not possibly emphasise enough, or express clearly what I wanted to emphasise: I am stating only what is in the books. If I say it is a disease, it is a disease according to the books. In the context you quote, there is nothing about the lust for knowledge being a disease, or is it? It isn't. If you found it being called a disease, fine. But since you didn't, keep looking for a disease.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #211
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Aha!

I think I have it... you truly are tricky with your questions, but I enjoy them I must admit.

Ok, so my answer is the the Master of Lake Town.

Quote:
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. ~ TH
1. There was a person.
2. This person was vulnerable to a certain kind of disease.
3. This disease is a kind you won't usually find in a medic's handbook.
4. It caused this person, eventually, to move far from this person's home place.
5. That person did not die because of the disease, as far as we know.

It fits with all, as he did get the disease, it is in no medic's handbook, it caused him to go to the Northern Wastes and nothing was heard of him afterwards. Although he did die of starvation, it was not the disease which caused it. And since it is said he was "of the kind" he did belong to people having this by default.

If this is wrong too, I'll first buy me a hat, then eat it.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #212
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No need to buy a hat, and the less to eat it Well done! The Master of Laketown, what a nice figure, eh?

And... eeeeek... only now I looked at when the question was posted here in the first place... two days ago, it was exactly a year Oh my, I didn't think it was that long...

Please post a new one, Miggy. I hope it will take less time to solve...
Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #213
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yay, me!
This brings the lore-score to Legate 100 - 1 Might.

No, seriously, now that I got I realise I should have done better to find that out. I'll try to figure something out, though I doubt it will be nearly as impressive.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #214
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

*knock knock* Anybody home?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #215
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry, forgot about this one, I'll post a new one shortly.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #216
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Chosen because he liked the Sea.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #217
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hi! I just popped in to see what was up.

I have no Tolkien books with me, so without knowing if I'm even close to being right and being fully prepared to be told I am wrong, I will guess:

Cirdan the Shipwright.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #218
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think you're intimating Voronwe...
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #219
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Bah, Beregond has it right... and so quickly! Kudos!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #220
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Yay!

You know that guy who was a prince? He had an unprecedented name.

~

Last edited by Beregond; 12-19-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #221
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Galador, first prince of Dol Amroth.
He was prince and noone else had this name.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #222
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Perhaps true, but not who I was looking for.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #223
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, guess I'll try again then.

What about Peregrin Took, referred to as "Prince of the Halflings"? He is the only one with that name, and there never was any other Hobbit with this "title", neither before nor after Pippin.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #224
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Interesting answer, but not what I was thinking. I think my description was too vague.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #225
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok, what about Faramir, Prince of Ithilien?
(btw, I am running out of true princes here)
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #226
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

There are many true Princes! Not all of them remained so. Oh, not Faramir, no.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #227
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hmm, how about Vinitharya, Eldacar's name when he was a prince?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #228
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Nay. This prince was unique in more ways than one. Long life in his veins would run.

Last edited by Beregond; 12-19-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #229
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Your question still remains very, very, vague, as I probably could give several answers that would all perfectly fit the description.

Ok, what about Maglor?
- name unprecedented
- prince of the Noldor
- he theoretically could still be living today in the Seventh Age, all that is told is that he never returned amongst the Elves
Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #230
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

No... (that always intrigued me; where would Maglor go? How long could he wander alone?)

This new age prince was by parentage unique. His father died a free death.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #231
Ilya
Wight

Shield

Dior, perhaps? The first child of elves and men.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #232
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Nay, but on the right track.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #233
Ilya
Wight

Shield

Hmm...perhaps Vardamir, the son of Elros?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #234
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Off the track again. My my, I didn't intend this to be so hard...

This future King's lands encompassed even the little people.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #235
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah then what about Aragorn's son Eldarion?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #236
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

No, not Elda.... wait...YES, YES, that's him! Eldarion, Prince of Gondor, whose name means "Scion of the Eldar" I believe, and who's parents were very distinct, being a man and an elf. Aragorn his father relinquished the throne to Eldarion and died naturally like his sires of old. The odds are in favour of Eldarion inheriting long life.

And so the torch passes to you, TM!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #237
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Remember the place where all but one lie?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #238
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Possibly Cabed-en-Aras, or its surroundings?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #239
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nope.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #240
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Then hat about the burial mounds of the Kings of the Rohirrim?