The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Confusing clues

New idea for game. You describe someone or something using confusing clues. After a person/object/place in question is detained, the one who guessed correctly posts a new set of confusing clues. Inspired by a thread on another Tolkien forum.

Here is mine:

They were three at the beginning. Till two received gruesome fate upon themselves. The third (and luckiest) of the three escaped that fate by going beyond ere fate was brought upon two others. I'm just listening to their music video. Their father was the cause of their fate. And... (I reserve this clue if other clues are too confusing. If I say it now, I'll give away the answer). From those clues, could you guess who the three were?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sorry if this comes across as too unfriendly, but how is this a riddle? The answer is what every other post from you is about, right? And I don't think your clues could be less confusing if you'd drawn us a map.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Oh, God, spare me this torture. I hoped that 'three' would throw people off, but you're too damn clever for your own good. I wanted people to get confused. Then I would have revealed the answer. Must you ruin my intent every time? I intended to ask, confuse others, and then merge this thread with Hin Hurin. Really, you ruin my every plan meant to get others to praise them?!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sorry for being a spoilsport, Urwen - it's just that it would be really really really really wonderful if you could talk about something else than the Children of Húrin once in a while for more than five minutes. Just for a change.
Don't get me wrong - CoH is a great story, and it's no wonder you're moved by their fate, but there's so much more in Tolkien's works and world as well, and the way you're going on about this one subject all the times just gets a wee bit tedious over the months.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

You wan't me to abandon them? To abandon my namesake? No. I will have them in my heart-the very core of it.

You want me to forgive Maedhros? Not happening either. Spirits of Olwe, Elwing and Lalaith are unsettled... yes, they're unsettled for they were killed by same hand, whether directly, or by CAUSING MORGOTH THE TERRIBLE TO SPREAD DISEASE with his rashness. Down with Maedhros the Rash!

You want me to chat about Elwing? Fine. There's cousin of her husband's father...three of them!

You want me to chat about every other person in middle Earth? They're all related to three.

See? Whatever other person there is, I could always prove that Hin Hurin are somehow related to every important person. Numenoreans? Hin Hurin were cousins of their forefather. Gondorians? Hin Hurin were cousins of their fore-fore father.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape Hin Hurin. They're related even to Morgoth, trough curse, and even Eru the Almighty, who created them...

I rest my case.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
See? Whatever other person there is, I could always prove that Hin Hurin are somehow related to every important person.
Tom Bombadil.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Easy. He was married to Goldberry, the River-daughter, and Lalaith was a river-daughter as well, being named after the stream near Húrin's house. (Besides, you should remember from the Maedhros thread that Goldberry was in fact Lalaith reborn as a Maia!*)

But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc. Would that appease you, Urwen?

PS. (*Oh yes, and Tom himself was of course Sador Labadal reborn, hopping along in his yellow boots to conceal the fact that he still had a wooden foot.)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc.
That sounds interesting! But I think that should go under a different thread, since it's a bit of a different game. I have a character that no one will be able to connect - Maedhros!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
PS. (*Oh yes, and Tom himself was of course Sador Labadal reborn, hopping along in his yellow boots to conceal the fact that he still had a wooden foot.)
I cannot rep you just now, Pitch, but as they say nowadays: ROFL! That was amazing
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And of course, Fatty Lumpkin and Old Man Willow were Turin and Nienor reborn. Old man Willow still has Turin's anger within, while Fatty still has Nienor's forgetfulness within.

With Lalaith as Golberry and Sador as Tom, the quartet is back again! Long live Hin Hurin and Sador!

Quote:
But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc. Would that appease you, Urwen?
You start.

Last edited by Urwen; 01-10-2011 at 05:23 AM.