The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #41
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

True.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #42
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Who sold whom potatoes?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:07 AM   #43
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Mr Parish did. The customer being Mr. Niggle. Potatoes being very cheap, too

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:18 AM   #44
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Absolutely right, HI - your turn!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-25-2004, 05:44 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

thx, yer ladyship

name the person whos eyes tended to water when opening old boxes (presumably containing spices)

Old 03-03-2004, 02:32 AM   #46
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That was Smith of Wootton Major, and though his eyes began to water because of the spices, the tears flowed because of the pain of giving up the Faery star.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:05 AM   #47
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

excellent

Go right ahead!

Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 AM   #48
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which island is "good to land upon", and what is it really?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:38 AM   #49
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

that must be that turtle:

Quote:
Look, there is Fastitocalon!
An island good to land upon

Old 03-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #50
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You have both the answer and the floor for the next question, HI!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #51
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

My apologies for the delay

next one:

Name the person who preserved and contibuted small item of art to the museum to be lost in the fire later on

Old 03-10-2004, 11:13 PM   #52
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That was Atkins, the schoolmaster in 'Leaf by Niggle', who saved the bit of Niggle's painting which gives the story its title.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #53
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

accused returned guilty, my lady.

proceed

Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #54
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

In which of Tolkien's non-Middle-earth works does he speak of barrow-wights?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:22 AM   #55
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Such a sinister item of imagery may have ocurred in
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son (alongside of bogies...)

Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #56
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's right, HI - go ahead with a new question!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:30 AM   #57
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

What was the main reason of said Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Sons death (no corporeal explanations, such as stroke of a sword etc, accepted, there is a word I expect you to utter)

Old 03-12-2004, 03:36 AM   #58
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Tolkien says in the introduction:
Quote:
This act of pride and misplaced chivalry proved fatal.
That refers to the fact that he allowed the enemies to cross the ford to give them a fair chance, which proved to be his downfall. Fairness in war is folly, is the moral of the story, I guess.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:59 AM   #59
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

There you go, than

Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 AM   #60
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who wears pearls, gold, silver and diamonds?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #61
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Was it little princess Mee?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #62
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

or Man in the Moon?

Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM   #63
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Mariska has it - Little Princess Mee it is! (These threads are moving fast these days - and almost under European monopoly... )
Old 03-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #64
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Right, Man in the Moon does not wear gold ...

Old 03-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #65
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

New question:

What feast is there on January the fourteenth?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #66
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Is it the 'Feast of Good Children' in Smith of Wootton Major? I couldn't find an exact date, but it is in winter.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #67
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I'm sorry, but that's not the feast I'm looking for...
It's from another "minor work"
Old 03-14-2004, 12:07 AM   #68
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah, now I found it - it's the Feast of St Hilarius and St Felix ("ominous names"! ) in Farmer Giles of Ham. Everyone, including the king and his court, was there, but the guest of honour didn't show up - the dragon!
Old 03-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #69
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

jolly ominous, I'm more than happy to agree...

Old 03-15-2004, 02:20 AM   #70
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Good job!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:41 AM   #71
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Who was called 'Old Earthgrubber' by whom?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:52 AM   #72
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Niggle used to refer thus to Parish

Old 03-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #73
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Both correct, HI, and your turn!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #74
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

thanks

name a fortunate person who was at a time captured by certain riverside mammals

Old 03-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #75
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That sounds like Tom Bombadil, but I'm not sure which animals you mean, HI. He was captured by the Badgers, but they are not exactly riverside creatures; the Otters are riverside dwellers, but he wasn't exactly captured by them...
Old 03-16-2004, 04:24 AM   #76
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

are not the Badgers the ones to wash things in the water before they eat them? If no, than I unintentionally mislead you. yes, Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow I had in mind

Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #77
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hmmm, raccoons wash their food before eating it, and beavers build their homes as dams in the river...

At any rate, since the answer was right, I'll pose the next question:

What does Tolkien call "a rash adventure"?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #78
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
I propose to speak about fairy stories, though I am aware that this is a rash adventure.
from On Fairy-Stories.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:12 AM   #79
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Hmmm, raccoons wash their food before eating it, and beavers build their homes as dams in the river...
That's the chap (i.e. me) brought up in a big city for you...

Old 03-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #80
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Mariska has it!