The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #121
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Right you are, Squatter, and the cathedral there is a sight well worth seeing today!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #122
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
It certainly is.

With what rare gift does Smith remember Tomling?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #123
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
He brought his grandson a flower from Faery, a tiny silver lily with three bells, suitable for playing despite its delicacy.
Quote:
He can do it no harm, and he'll take none from it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #124
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Quite right. Your turn again.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #125
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who is responsible for a total eclipse of the moon?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #126
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Question

The unnamed ostler who gives him ale?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #127
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Nope - try looking elsewhere...
Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #128
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
The White Dragon?
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #129
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Correct, Lindir! To be found in Roverandom... Your turn!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #130
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

What does the old man on the moon say whenever Roverandom and Rover leave the tall white tower?
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #131
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

He said:
Quote:
Now fly off and amuse yourself. Don't worry the moonbeams, and don't kill my white rabbits, and come home when you are hungry!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #132
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Yup.You are absolutely correct. I luv that saying!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:45 AM   #133
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, that is cute. Here's a new question:

Which weapon, though rather primitive, stopped a giant?

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-13-2004 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:09 AM   #134
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Are you thinking of Farmer Giles' blunderbuss?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:39 AM   #135
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Indeed I am, Saucepan - you hit the target and are entitled to the next shot!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #136
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Why thank you, Lady Estelyn.

Taking aim ...

Well, actually, I find that I have unfortunately mislaid my copy of Tales from the Perilous Realm , so this will be a fairly easy one:

What was the name of Niggle's neighbour?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 AM   #137
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That would be Mr. Parish.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #138
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Spot on, Mariska!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #139
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

why thank you, but I'll give it to anyone who wants to continue,
I'll be away for some time.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #140
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK, I'll pose a question to keep the thread going:

Tolkien's poem Mythopoeia is dedicated "To one who said that myths were lies" - who is the person addressed here?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:09 AM   #141
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
C.S.Lewis'd be the fellow

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #142
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's right, HI - your turn!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:11 AM   #143
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

well thank you

Name children whom Nokes and Alf were discussing with regard to star-swallowing possibilities just before Alf's departure

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 05-04-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #144
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

These are the names that Nokes guessed:

Miller's Molly
Cooper's Harry
Draper's Lily

However, it was, of course, Smith's son who swallowed the star, as Prentice said.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:45 AM   #145
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

o'course pray proceed. And welcome back too, as I haven't seen you for a while

Old 05-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #146
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new question: In which work is a postman mentioned and who is it?

(Yes, I was away on vacation for two weeks, and had very little time and opportunity for internet access.)
Old 05-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #147
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Roverandom is the work, and postman (by the name of Mew, if I am not mistaken) is sand-sorcerer

Old 05-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #148
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The work and the name are correct, HI, so you get to post the next question. However, Mew is not a sand-sorcerer, but a gull! He flies Rover to the Moon and is called the sand-sorcerer's postman there.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:14 AM   #149
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Horrible mess up, sorry

For the shame of it, I hand back the right to pose the next quote back to you

Old 05-17-2004, 02:24 AM   #150
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

What was Farmer Giles called when he became King? (Both Latin and vulgar, please.)
Old 05-17-2004, 02:33 AM   #151
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

He was prouldy named Aegidius Draconarius, or, in vulgar, Old Giles Worming

Old 05-17-2004, 06:24 AM   #152
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Correct, HI - next one's yours!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #153
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Name Giles' sword, the same as belonged once to Augustus Bonifacius Ambrosius
Aurelianus Antontus Pius et Magnificus, dux, rex, tyrannus, et basileus Mediterranearum Parfium's family

Old 05-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #154
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Wasn't it called Starbite?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #155
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

was it called Tailbiter?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:47 AM   #156
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I would have appreciated the Latin name too, but yes, Lindir, you've got it Go on

Old 05-19-2004, 07:40 PM   #157
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Sorry, but I don't know the Latin name, and I don't own a copy of Farmer Giles. I've only read it once. What is it in Latin?

Here's my question. What 2 colors were the wizards patch (on his robe) in Roverandom?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #158
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

wonderful patch of orange with black spots...

PS Caudimordax it was in Latin:

Quote:
Caudimordax, the famous sword that in popular romances is more vulgarly called Tailbiter

Old 05-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #159
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Yup.You're right!
and thanx.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:31 AM   #160
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

thanks

next up:

What was it that Niggle found yellow-labeled with his name?