The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #281
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, there is Niord, but he's only mentioned in passing, not actually encountered by Roverandom. If that's not it, I give up. Maybe someone else will come up with the answer...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #282
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The mysterious Norse

No, I'm afraid it's not Njord. He's a god, and Vikings tend to be human. This really is rather more obvious than it might look: the only difficulty is that the character isn't actually called a viking by Tolkien. The clues are there, though; particularly if you have the annotated Roverandom
Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #283
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
OK, I could go through the story character by character, guessing, but I won't. I surrender.

*waves white flag
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #284
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Bump

Surely someone knows the answer to this one.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #285
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Time for a new question, then

It doesn't look as though anyone's going to get this one, so here are the answer and an easier question.

Our Viking is the Mer-dog. His story gives it away, although Tolkien never says anything specific. A fine sea-rover indeed.

What is Tailbiter's proper name?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #286
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

This one I know without even having to look it up! It's Caudimordax.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #287
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Mordant brand

Right you are, Estelyn.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #288
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which character in one of the minor works is referred to in all caps as HE and HIM?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #289
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No takers for this question?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #290
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Minor Works Revival

Just to resurrect this thread, I think I'll go out on a limb and suggest the King of Faerie in Smith of Wootton Major.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #291
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

I have a message for you, Squatter. Estelyn says "Keep looking."
Old 09-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #292
Spectre of Decay

This time I'm not guessing

Fastitocalon, in the poem of the same name from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Your days at peace in Middle-earth
In mirth
Fulfil
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #293
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You are right of course, Squatter, and thus entitled to baffle us with a new question. Sorry that my absence kept me from reacting to your post sooner...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #294
Spectre of Decay

Pipe A question of distance

Thanks, Estelyn. Perhaps it won't be so baffling after all.

What colour is the label on the new bicycle that awaits Niggle at the end of his train journey?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #295
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
yellow, with large black letters
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 AM   #296
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Yep

That was quick. And spot on, of course.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #297
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
ok, probably easy

What did Torhthelm use to kill the corpse-looter?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #298
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

He used Beorhtnoth's sword.

(...only easy because I've read these lines so often for the threads here and in 'Quotes'!)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #299
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

Good job
your question
Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #300
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which of Tolkien's characters suffered from lumbago?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #301
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Putting his back up...

Parish. His being "laid up with lumbago" was one of "a tremendous crop of interruptions" that helped to prevent the completion of Niggle's painting.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 AM   #302
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Right you are, Sir Trespasser. Pray proceed.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #303
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Naval exercise

Right you are Esty.

Where does Smith encounter the Elven mariners?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #304
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
On the shore of the Sea of Windless Storm.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #305
Spectre of Decay

Pipe The other elves

That's the place. Take it away.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #306
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

When did Farmer Giles set out with Garm to find the dragon?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #307
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

They started off on Epiphany day, which is January 6. According to Wikipedia, that's "a Christian feast intended to celebrate the 'shining forth' or revelation of God to mankind in human form". It would be interesting to think of a reason for Tolkien's choice of that day for this event - actually a good topic for a serious discussion! Thanks for bringing up a fact which I had not consciously read until now, Elf-warrior!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #308
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You're welcome, Estelyn Telcontar. It's your turn now.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #309
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I did start a thread to discuss the topic to which your question inspired me here. Thanks again for the wonderful idea!

Now for a new question:

In which cave did the Sea-serpent used to live (and people wished him back there)?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #310
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Lifestyles of the large and autothalassic

Once he lived in Pot, "at the bottom of the deepest sea". Perhaps he was crowded out by the number of other things that have allegedly gone there over the years. There's an article about his interior decoration in Better Caves and Wastelands issue 135 (June 1958).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #311
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You're right, of course, Squatter! Darn, I knew I should have bought all issues of Better Caves and Wastelands - I have 134 and 136, but not 135...

Anyway, take it away - and not to Pot!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #312
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Guess what I got for Christmas

What is the North Polar Bear's real name?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #313
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Karhu, or so it was supposed from his signature...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #314
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Ursine nomenclature

Actually he does announce that his name is Karhu in one of his letters, but that's by the by. The thread is yours.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #315
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
But he also wrote it under a picture (of rising sun behind the mountains): "Love from Karhu, Paksu, and Valkotukka" (this is from where I remember it)

Anyway.

How did Tídwald recognize Torhthelm in the dark? (easy one)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #316
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Alas, they flossed not well in early ages

Oh, wait, perhaps this means the night is cold and Torhthelm is shivering rather than he had a dental problem? Clearly I've been reading too much of Minus Teeth.

'Twas Totta's rattling teeth that announced him to Tidwald.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #317
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Of course. Your turn now.

(And yes, I think maybe there was something wrong with their dentists...)
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #318
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Pipe teach me to hear . . .

Would that I had found a warg reference to allude to teeth, either marked or pulled. For now, satisfy ourselves with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollers
I would that I might with the minstrels sing
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #319
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A wonderful line from a wonderful poem, Bb! It's Philomythus speaking to Misomythus in Mythopoeia:
Quote:
I would that I might with the minstrels sing
and stir the unseen with a throbbing string.
I must admit, a wish closer to my heart comes a few lines later:
Quote:
or in fantastic banners weave the sheen
heraldic emblems of a lord unseen.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #320
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Silmaril

Ah, the Evenstar! It's a lovely comment about her role, isn't it?

You have the thread, Mistress Quilty, to weave as you wish, for any lord or Downer unseen.