The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Right now the Eurovision loving part of the Danish population is cursing the easterlings to Mordor and people are actually talking about that Denmark should quit Eurovision and things like "eastern european song-mafia" is being uttered.
There's similar talk here, though to a lesser extent since everybody's talking more about how well the thing was organised and gloating because Finland was better than Sweden.
I think it's a bit unfair that while Western European countries give lots of points to the Eastern Europeans and not only to their neighbors (I don't claim that there's no giving-the-best-points-for-the-neighbour-ing, but to a far lesser extent) the Eastern countries give almost without an exception all their points to their neighbours. It kind of ruins the point of the whole comptetion. I agree that many Western European countries deserved their pitiful amount of points, but not all did. (Compared to the other contestants, I think that for example Finland and Sweden should have done better and Switzerland should have made it to the finals.)

Bulgaria's entry (which I liked a lot since it was so weird) reminds me (in some weird way) of Dunlendings, or maybe actually the people who became the wights in the Paths of the Dead. The song has the right creepy, archaic and rhytmic atmosphere I connect with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
Anyway, I think it's great deal of the fun that many of the songs are plain hideous, but I was happy for Georgia that was a first timer and did so well.
Agreed.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #42
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
you do at least always expect a genuine song to win.
Well, I have the impression that in German language, what I consider as "genuine songs" are nowadays only to be found in the contest "Grand Prix der Volksmusik" (Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Südtirol)

As for this years Eurovision contest, my favourites didn't even make it to the finals.(Iceland and Denmark.) In my opinion, the winner wasn't that bad, either! But as for # 2 did they get so many points just for weirdness?!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #43
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
But as for # 2 did they get so many points just for weirdness?!
One answer is, yes they did just that (you know the gay-people just love the Eurovision song contest for some reason). The second one is: they made their points with their anti-Russian agenda and dared to sing "dancing Russia good-bye" on the stage... One may pick one's favourite alternative here but I think both reasons counted here...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #44
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, you're probably right about the political reason.
and by "weird"I didn't mean "gay"-
If it was for that reason, then Denmarks "Drama queen" ought to have won, which had a very catchy melody and a good performance !
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #45
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye A Song For Europe

Oh no I was away and missed it all,

El Tel's happy meanderings, freaky costumes, peculiar dance routines and truly dreadful songs. Though the only bit I really enjoy is the voting session, always easy to predict who gets douze points!

Bring back "My Lovely Horse"!!!

Last edited by Rumil; 05-16-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: forgot a bit
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #46
Anáwiel
Pile O'Bones

Anáwiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anáwiel Send a message via MSN to Anáwiel
To add my two cents about Eurovision contest, my absolute favourite song was the one from Finland, I can't stop listening to it. I voted for it and many of my friends did but strangely Bulgaria (my country) gave no points to them, which I find very embarassing. I wonder how they counted them...
And what embarasses me more, is how sane people can vote for a song like the Ukrainian one? To say it was a complete crap would be an offend all the songs I have qualified as crap before. It is more than just that...
I liked also the song of Bulgaria (I really did, in the previous Eurovision our song was crap), and the video of DJBobo (not the song really, the video was awesome - Vampires are Alive). And the Irish song was really hobbitish, I liked it, it was cute I can't remember the Danish song, does someone has a link in handy?

By the way, I think the lands voted for their neighbours not because they love them so much (which is rather impossible, especially in Eastern Europe and on the Balkan), but because their culture and their likings are close to each other Which of course cannot explain why so many people voted for Ukraine...
Anáwiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #47
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
This is how it looked on our own show, probably a bit different from the European. The movie quality is low, but the sound is alright and I know you can find better versions if you search a bit. (my favourit from the danish competition)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #48
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
This is how it looked on our own show, probably a bit different from the European. The movie quality is low, but the sound is alright and I know you can find better versions if you search a bit.
Here is their music video, not live.

Having listened to most of the songs, a few several times, I can´t say that I found any of the songs good on the whole. About a half of them did have some good idea in them, but like somebody already said, not enough effort.