Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #41
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Atop Taurawaa, Annanoldowen rode silently behind and to the left of Laurel. The air was motionless and the trees were still. An unspoken threat hung in the air of the ever-present feeling of anger, of war. The company members sat in their saddles, tense and ready: aware of every sound, movement, and smell. Every now and then a bird would call out for its mate, or a squirrel would scamper up a tree, an acorn clutched in its mouth. Annanoldowen watched everything from her place. She took in every tree, and detected every previous passing. Glancing ahead, she noticed a trio of riders, unconcealed in their travel. Lanaey had seen them as well and rode up beside Laurel.

Quote:
"Lady, there are some riders in the distance." The voice of Lanaey the elf drew her back to herself. She motioned to the land in front of her "Are you expecting any more help from different quarters?"

"No, I'm not." Laurel looked out forward and strained to see. Squinting, she noticed something "You mean that little moving blur up there?" Lanaey nodded.

"Do you know what they are? Or who they are?" Laurel questioned the she-elf

"I do not. I only know that there are three of them and they aren't hiding their movements much." She gripped her concealed sword and motioned to the group “I shall ride out to meet them. If any blows be made, our shaper eyed friends shall see”
The company halted and watched as Laurel rode out to meet them. Annanoldowen followed her with her pale eyes protectively. An owl cried: a startling, cackle of a predator hunting and not the usual mournful hooting you would hear any other night. Wide-winged, the owl swooped out of a nearby pine, tail spread as it sailed low. To her left, Annanoldowen heard the sudden dash of something small through the fields, then a high, despairing scream. The owl rose, a rabbit caught in its talons, the animal swinging in the dead air. The sight caught Annanoldowen hard by the throat, and she shivered at the irony of the spectacle. Others behind her moved uneasily, and disturbed glances were exchanged.

Annanoldowen looked inconspicuously towards Lanaey. Her head was bowed and eyes focused on some invisible matter inside her mind. Feeling a tang of pity for the elf, Annanoldowen righted herself in her own saddle, displaying a sense of confidence she hoped to ripple through the air, and calm the straining tenseness of the company. A second owl screamed, its voice ripping through the air like a crack of lightening. Starting at the noise, Annanoldowen narrowed her eyes and waited for the return of Laurel.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:01 AM   #42
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Silmaril

Taralphiel tried to enjoy the warm ride back to her House, though the darkness was settling on her soul. The light breeze through the fair Elm and Beech, and the scattered cones of the Pine tree made smells that made her smile. Her old horse soon drew into the beflowered archway of stone that marked the entrance to her open House. It was not long before she was in her chair by the Sea. The sweet smell of burning scents and the age of the pages of the book she was sifting through eased her heart like none else. The rings on her fingers clattered lightly as her hands moved, and she found herself staring at them self-consciously. Many she bore all had memories. One looked as a crown of the wisps of the wind. To her it was her ring of value, it showed her what mattered, above the sheen of silver or worldly things. Another was of four trails of waves, representing her four sisters, her divide from them only bound by flesh. And her ring of the Maiden, her flowing hair wrapping about her fingers, it taught self worth. This ring would soon go to Laurel, to teach her the virtue of seeing the beauty of one’s own soul.

The last ring was of three small flowers, open petals with centers of milky blue green stones, all catching the light. This was her wedding ring, more sacred to her than all things. She stretched her fingers and saw their age. Sighing, she looked out and pondered all the years that had come, and what they had lead to.

A young Swan Maid entered in, her billowing hair and meek smile giving Taralphiel strength. ‘What is it, my child?’ she asked placidly
‘The party of Laurel has arrived in the village. There are a great many. Thirty or even more. They request a meeting with you.’
Taralphiel’s face filled with a youthful hope ‘Of course! Tell Laurel to send representatives of each group here to meet with me!’ Taralphiel paused and closed her eyes ‘and tell Laurel to insist the Dark Elf to come. I knew he could not resist the persuasions of an old friend’ at that she grinned, and the Maid left.

Taralphiel mused happily ‘There is knowledge left in me yet, and I will see it well used here. Hope is coming back to me!’
Old 04-09-2003, 09:50 AM   #43
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The three dark elves had been observing the riders in the distance for a few hours. Something had drawn Rûdhchamion towards them to follow. Galain had merely raised a brow and shrugged, Gorath had followed his brother’s lead.

Their eldest kin had simply told them that what they sought for would be soon revealed. Galain had kept silent, for he had felt that his older kin would soon depart. But he also felt that what was before him and his brother, they could not avoid.

They followed the riders on foot at first, then as they were a few leagues closer, Rûdhchamion had seen several horses running about. The elves had beckoned to the willing animals and had rode slowly at first towards where they had spied the riders across the plain.

“Is it wise to be seen so?” Queried Gorath, his eldest kin nodded. Galain kept silent as he kept his thought to himself.

As they came closer, they detected a note of alarm from the riders. One, a female elf said something to another female. The human female seemed to be the leader of the riders. She spurred her horse and as they drew even closer.

When she was a few yards from them she slowed and called 'The Lady of the Swan Wood asks thee thine names!'

The Dark Elf looked at her with his grey sharp eyes, he halted his companions. Both Galain and Gorath watched keenly the exchange. They noticed the elf maiden who was observing them guardedly.

“I am Rûdhchamion of Leog Ningloron, near the eaves of Greenwood, Kingdom of the Elvenking. These are my kin, Galain and Gorath,” the two elves nodded in silent greeting.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:02 AM   #44
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

“I am Rûdhchamion of Leog Ningloron, near the eaves of Greenwood, Kingdom of the Elvenking. These are my kin, Galain and Gorath,” came the reply.

Laurel dismounted her horse and looked at the Elf, a great smile creasing her face. When he did not respond, she quickly masked it.

'I am Laurel, granddaughter of the Lady Taralphiel of the Swan Wood. She was hoping you would accompany us. It is an honour to meet thee'

Rudchamion stared at her. It seemed he saw a recognition of her grandmother in her features. He simply nodded, and rode to join the group. Laurel joined them, but they did not travel far. It was beginning to get dark, and it was decoded they would camp one night in the open, before riding on to Swan Wood.

Once all had unpacked, Laurel saw the three Elves go about introducing themselves. She watched their mannerisms, and their dark presence moving over the camp, and wondered what lay in store for them, and the whole group, in the woods of her grandmother.

She sat by the fire, stone faced and thinking, when someones voice broke the silence. It was the man of Rohan, Herebrand. Laurel was not sure what to make of this man, and found this a good oppurtunity to find out more about his character...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:05 PM   #45
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

These Dark Elves were strange and foreign to Lanaey. That sparked an interest in her. She actually wanted to talk to them and find out more about them, but from observing them so far as they were talking to Laurel and as the group set up camp, Lanaey didn't think that they were the very talkative sort.

Lanaey chose a place on the outskirts of their camp to set up her bedroll and unpack the equipment from Drass.

Everyone was getting into a camadarie with the rest of the members and Lanaey could tell that everything was going to go smoothly till they actually got to the fighting, then she would have to make new assesments about everyone's mettle. Looking at the others however, she felt that they would all prove themselves to be excellent fighters, except for that scholar Elf Annanoldowen. She would do her part though no doubt.

While sipping some water after she had finished her little dinner, Lanaey accidentally caught the eyes of one of the new Elves. She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head to the side, indicating that he could sit or talk if he wished.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:26 AM   #46
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Walking through the shadows, the creature watched for the stray beams of moonlight that threatened his concealment. Indeed the open aired house of the Swan Lady was hazardous for him, the light stunning him and leaving him vulnerable. He slowly traced his steps through the house, like a routine, and made his way down the halls to the bedchambers. Listening to the foreign rising and falling of breathing, he found a small group of guests. He assumed them to be a makeshift legion, and gave a low growl. Soon he found the room he was seeking, and a grin spread on his face.

Moving in, he saw the Lady Laurel lying asleep. Her face was still but had a disturbed look on it, as if sleep unnerved her. He ran his finger gently across her pale jawline and smiled, then let out low whispers. ‘I know ye brought them here dearest, and that ye wish to hide from me, but I shall no’ weary. They will come for this place, and I shall have your beauty to my own. Only I can bring ye comfort to that eating darkness, and I will no’ yield’ At that a beam of the moon struck him and lit up his face. Pale as the light, his eyes were darker than any abyss. His long hair was tied back and flowed lightly over his shoulders. His featues were strong and handsome, but fey and sickness rose from his features above all else. His ears gave him away as an Elf, and his curse on the moonlight was also obvious. But this Elf was no longer of his people, but twisted and fallen. Cuor moved quietly back into the forest, humming his plans, and cursing the rest of the damned House.

~*~

Cuor made his way back through the forest to the camp of the stinking rebels. The smell of rotting and burning meat assailed his senses, as well as the reek of the many filthy bodies jostling, telling tales and searching for more Ale. Quickly he darted into a tall tent at the end of the heap of soldiers, and threw himself to the floor. Inside, skins and rugs were thrown down, and jugs of wine and food stood nearby. Leaning against the tent were broadswords, stained with blood and evilly tarnished. Also were a quiver and arrows, and a small skin pouch. In his prostrate position, Cuor stared at the shiny darts that had spilled from the satchel, their ends feathered black, and their tips gleaming a sickly yellow.
A voice boomed out over him ‘Get ye up, fool! Tell me news!’
Cuor stood to face the man. He too was grubby, and smelled foul. His dark beard fell long over his ragged skins and clothes, and he did not suit his surroundings, which were a sight more refined, but not too much. His dirt stained face showed a twisted nose and two, small dark eyes, with a menacing stare ‘Well! Out with it!’

‘The Lady has employed mercenaries milord’ he began slowly ‘there are many, and some may be hidden, I am no’ sure. They will put up a greater fight then we may be able to stand’

At that plates flew about the room as the Wild Man roared ‘We shall see! Wretch! You are no better then that damned old witch, sitting on ‘er throne! That land will be mine! And I’ll ‘ang her from the nearest tree!’ he scowled at Cuor, and his voice turned chillingly meek ‘Tell me, little pointy ear, what be you wanting from this? Ye came to me and told me o’ a wonderful palace in the forests ripe for the taking. We only knew of a small village then, and never thought to attack in such a number! You lead us straight there. And we are almost at her door! But naught have ye said of reward! Spit it out, wretch!’

Cuor’s eyes narrowed ‘I be wanting one o’ the ladies of the House. The warrior. Leave her alone’ The Wild King grinned ‘Hehhh! You be picking out the best, m’friend. Why do ye not just take her now! Why kill her graddam, and all her friends hm?’

Cuor did not move. He turned the question over and over in his mind. Why kill them all? ‘She will no’ want ye any other way’ a voice assured him, and he spun around. A dark cloaked figure appeared at the door. Throwing down the hood, a Wild Woman grinned ‘Ah! Gita!’ smiled the King. Gita looked far better dressed than Wild Men, enough to blend into the town, which was what she did. ‘This thing was stealing from the twon in his hunger pains. He was brought to the House and fell in love with the Houses beauty. But her gran’ wouldna’ have that, and sent him away.’ She smirked. Cuor was astounded she knew such things. ‘And ye would love to know where he came from? The charred wreck of the cursed ring o’ Black Mountains’ At this, the King again scowled ‘The cursed Lord’s leftovers eh? Well, he serves his purpose, and he shall get his reward if he does as he is ordered. Out a my sight!’ With that he received a stern kick from Gita, and was out the door. Nursing his sore backside into a tree, he grinned in malice ‘They can have the Land, and I shall have my Lady. But she will no’ love me without some sport. Yesss, she’ll hunt them down fer me’ and he smiled though the night, dreaming of being Lord of his own Land.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #47
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“Whoa, more elves!” Jess exclaimed, visibly pleased and awed as everyone took to camp. Jess sat scrunched up with her knees under her chin and her arms around her knees, and Cartil smirked at his sister’s amazement as he weeded through papers her had brought from Minas Tirith. Sparrow had wandered off somewhere, but came back whenever Cartil whistled for the stallion.

“You need to get out more, Jess,” Cartil commented, scrawling in his messy handwriting onto one of the parchments. Jess rolled her eyes at her brother. It seemed her once fun-loving brother had little time to do anything exciting or daring anymore. Cartil always had something to do and something to finish.

“Are there many elves in Minas Tirith?” Jess asked, and her brother continued writing on his papers. Jess didn’t repeat the question; she knew her brother well and wouldn’t ask the same question twice.

“Not many. There are plenty in Ithilien though,” Cartil replied after several moments of consideration. Silence followed, and Jess couldn’t stand the boredom any longer. She stood, and turned on her right foot, like all good soldiers in the way her brothers had taught her, and then went to find Sparrow.

Once she found the white stallion rummaging through the foliage for some tasty grass, Jess strode over to him, and ran her fingers through his well-cared-for mane.

“Sparrow, does it ever get dull carrying Cartil around everywhere?” Jess asked the horse, not expecting an answer. Jess shook her head. Everyone loved Cartil, even the horse probably. Jess carefully put both hands on the area just behind Sparrow’s withers, and then swung her right leg over Sparrow’s back. Sparrow grunted and flicked his ears back, but Jess hardly noticed.

“Let’s go for a ride, Sparrow!” Jess whispered to the horse as she gently dug her heels into Sparrow’s abdomen. Sparrow neighed loudly, and Jess nearly fell off the stallion as he reared up into the air, and began to kick his front legs. Sparrow, in the mood for a little payback, went galloping off into the woods at full speed, hoping to knock the annoying human girl off his back. Sparrow went flying into the camp with all the travelers, and the stallion was certainly not careful to avoid the people and their belongings. Sparrow nearly knocked over one of the Rohirric men, and trashed any part of the camp that was in his way. Then, the horse went speeding back into the woods until he came to a small creek, where he came to a sudden halt that sent Jess soaring through the air and into the water. With a kick of dust in Jess’ direction, a satisfied Sparrow trotted off towards the camp.

When Sparrow came back to the camp, several of the travelers glared at him as they cleaned up any part of the camp in disarray. Cartil whistled a short tune, and Sparrow clip-clopped up to his master.

“Good job, Sparrow old boy,” Cartil congratulated his horse.

Jess quickly jumped up from her landing spot in the small creek, and then went to get out of the little ditch running through the forest. As she was about to get out of the creek, Jess slipped on a wet stone. Her feet slid backwards and her upper body fell down into the mucky grass. Her knees were wet now, and sure to bruise, and her tunic was dirty as the ground itself. Jess sighed; it was just her luck for something like that to happen. Jess trudged back towards the campsite to get changed into clean, dry clothing. When she did return, Cartil chuckled at her and her disheveled look.

“You’re more trouble than you’re worth,” Cartil commented, letting Sparrow take a bite from an apple.

“Always glad to provide everyone with endless amusement," Jess replied sracastically, and grabbed some clean clothes from her pack. Cartil frowned her way, then continued to take a seat next to the priestess woman. Cartil struggled to remember her name. He had heard it before...Leah, no...Lara? Leena! Her name was Leena.

"Do you have any sisters? They can be a pain," Cartil began, recieving a stare from the grey eyes of Leena.

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 04-18-2003, 08:45 PM   #48
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Annanoldowen sat on the ground by the fire, crafting a makeshift frog for her sword. She braided dark, strong pieces of leather together and pulled hard twice, testing its strength. Satisfied, she replaced the fraying frog with her new one. The elf smiled, and her sword hissed free of its scabbard. She stared for a minute at her sword. Its curved blade was authentically elven. Calligraphic elvish encrypted on the side read ‘Annanoldowen, daughter of Imladris.’ Annanoldowen ran her fingers over the fine lettering and rubbed down a piece of dirt with her thumb. There was no special history behind her sword. The lettering and fancy scabbard were simply an indulgence. She needed a weapon for protection, and she had had the master forger make her one that fitted her role as a Lady of Rivendell. Pleased with her new frog, she slipped her sword home and laid it beside her.

The company was gathered around the fire, most speaking with the three new additions. Annanoldowen hadn’t said much to anyone since she came. She had mostly kept to herself, taking in the surroundings. The elf had been looked upon to take up the role of nobility at Rivendell, and friendly conversations were not her hobby. However, as she watched some of her companions, she realized that they didn’t know her as she had always been, and she could take on a new personality, and maybe even befriend some of them. Thinking it over, she decided to toss the thought aside and got up from her seat. She stretched, and adjusted her riding clothes.

The shield-maiden called Jesslyn caught her eye. She had just fallen in a stream do the mishap of a riding experience. The horse had reared and bucked, tossing the child from her seat. She stood, her front very dirty, and her pants very wet. Smiling, Annanoldowen waited as Jesslyn changed into cleaner clothes. When she emerged, Annanoldwen greeted her with a low bow.

Suilad Jesslyn. My name is Annanoldowen, Lady of Rivendell.” The wise-elf let a broad smile paint itself on her elegant usually stern-expressioned face. The charm one smile could do demonstrated itself upon the elf’s façade. She looked much younger, and more pleasant. “I understand that you are brothers with Sir Cartil,” she nodded in the direction of her brother. “and that we are all to be companions in the riddance of the enemy of Swan Wood. Perhaps we could get to know each other better?” She leaned up against a tree and watched the girl with a perspective eye. Jesslyn raised an eyebrow at the elf’s suggestion. She nodded slowly.

“You can call me Jess by the way. Everyone else does,” she tucked a loose strand of even dark hair behind her ear, and relaxed her stance. Annanoldowen smiled and nodded.

“Oh, alright.” A question was prying on her mind, and though it seemed very forward, she decided to give it a shot. “Excuse me if this seems like an awkward question, but I am curious, and I have never met such a young shield-maiden before.” And was a good fighter she thought silently. “Can you wield a sword well?” Jesslyn’s expression narrowed and she shifted slightly. What’s that supposed to mean? she thought.

Annanoldwen held up a hand to pause their conversation and retrieved her sword from its scabbard with a light ring, and she gestured for Jess to do the same. In one dramatic movement, Jesslyn also pulled out her sword, holding before her in a sure and still form. The elf silently approved.

“Show me, Miss Stone, how well trained are you?” she drawled jovially. Jesslyn seemed caught off guard by the sudden change in personality, but shook it away. Welcoming the challenge, and new diversion, Jesslyn ‘accepted’ Annanoldowen’s proposal. The two practiced their swordplay for a bit, Annanoldowen mostly testing out Jesslyn’s skills, which were surprisingly good. And much to the elf’s appeasement, Jesslyn’s face betrayed her befuddlement at the seemingly frail elf’s skill with a sword. Smiling, Annanoldwen lowered and sheathed her sword.

“Very well done Miss Stone, but,” she added extending a hand in the way of men, “I guess you already knew that.” She winked and the two shook hands. “Now, won’t you have a seat, I feel like talking.”
Old 04-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #49
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Jesslyn nodded, and took a seat near the fire, and Annanoldowen joined her. Jesslyn was so excited to be talking to an Elf, up close! Jesslyn had always considered the Elven kind the folk of fireside stories, and couldn’t recall ever speaking to one before Annanoldowen decided to speak to her.

“Annanoldowen,” Jesslyn began, and the Elf nodded, willing Jess to go on. “You have such a long name! Mind if I call you Anna? My mother says that means ‘gift’ in your tongue. I can’t speak Elvish though. I’ve never really met an Elf before. What’s it like? What does Annanoldowen mean?”

Jesslyn had spoken in such haste and only stopped to breathe after she had spoken, that it took a moment for Annanoldowen to collect her thoughts.

“Annanoldowen means ‘Gift of Knowledge’. You’ve never met an Elf before? You’re brother hasn’t either? What is it like to be an Elf, you mean?” Annanoldowen continued when she saw the look in Jesslyn’s anxious eyes. “I’m not sure. What is it like to be human?”

“No, no! My brother has met Elves before. Thanks to them, he knows how to shoot with those bows and arrows of yours. Cartil wasn’t careful about what…or whom…he used as target practice after that. Being human is wonderful, once one grasps the idea that they’ve only got so long to live. Once a human realizes that, they know that they better do something worthwhile with that time. Not enough humans realize this in time, though,” Jesslyn’s voice tarried off as she noticed something near Annanoldowen. Annanoldowen’s sword in its sheath! “Miss Anna? Might I see your sword? Looks beautiful from far away, would it be alright for me to see it up close?”

Annanoldowen nodded, and handed Jesslyn the weapon. Taking it from its scabbard, Jesslyn’s eyes widened and she held the shining blade in her hands. Something was written in it, and Jess squinted to try and read it.

“It’s Elvish, Miss Stone.” Annanoldowen chided, and Jesslyn nodded.

“Jess is fine, Miss Anna,” Jesslyn smiled inwardly and resolved to call the kindly elf just Anna, if it was all right with her. “What does it say, Anna?”

“Annanoldowen, daughter of Imladris,” Annanoldowen replied as Jesslyn let a finger run along the curved edge of the blade. Jess nodded approval for the weapon and returned it to Annanoldowen.

“And how old might you be, Miss St- I mean, Jess,” Annanoldowen asked.

“Eighteen. Is it proper to ask how old an Elf is? I’d sure be embarrassed to say how old I was if I lived to be more than a thousand,” Jess replied bluntly.

“That is because your kind do not live as long as mine. It is not strange for me to say to someone ‘I am four and a half thousand years old’,” Annanoldowen answered, and returned her sword to a resting place next to her.

“You’ve lived so much longer than I have! You must have been to so many places, whereas I’ve only been around Tarnost until now! Can you tell me about your travels?” Jesslyn continued, and Jess’ new friend began to tell some stories about her travels. As Annanoldowen spoke, Jesslyn came to have deep respect and admiration for the Elf's wisdom.

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #50
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Gorath had followed the lead of both Galain and his elder cousin, Rûdhchamion. He was curious since his people rarely mingled with others, even of their own race. Humans fascinated him, but he could not completely shake off his wariness, as was natural to the Dark Elves.

He had noticed the hidden smile of his cousin upon the greeting of the human named Laurel. Raising a brow slightly, the older elf had shaken his head and Gorath sensed an amusement on the others part. Rûdhchamion had later explained that the girl reminded him of another young maiden… Taralphiel. He listened to the small conversation between Laurel and his cousin while he observed the others around him.

Galain too observed silently, taking in his surroundings. He saw the female elf was watching them curiously. Although unlike before, she no longer had a guarded look. He was a bit surprised when she motioned a welcome to him, but did not show it. He merely smiled back before accepting her invitation.

He soon learned she was called Lanaey.

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #51
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

While those who looked at the black haired woman usually wrote her off as eccentric, those with more skill at reading a person’s state of mind and emotion could pick up some inkling of her true feelings. Leena’s father had died shortly before the birth of his second daughter, forcing the new widow to work full time to support her children. In due time, she had fallen to a faceless murder’s knife behind the shady tavern where she had worked as a cook. The heavy weight of providing for her younger sister as well as paying rent had fallen on Leena’s narrow shoulders. Not possessing any marketable skills, she had resorted to pick pocketing and thievery to pay for food and housing. After being forcibly recruited by the Order of the Black Rose, the need to care for her sister had all but disappeared. Enna had been sent to a small (but nearby) orphanage while her older sister was trained to serve the White Tower.

At the very least, those who survived the rigorous education emerged cynical and paranoid. For Leena, the period of training had heightened the sense of unease she had been ignoring since her mother’s death. She often became quite depressed, a condition that only aggravated her normally eccentric nature. Unknown to her, this was one of the reasons she had been paired with Thagon. Even though she could recite long lists of his failings, she had to grudgingly admit that he brought some sort of stability to her life.

"Do you have any sisters? They can be a pain," Cartil began, recieving a stare from the grey eyes of Leena.

Leena broke her revile with an almost audible snap. When the rest of the group had aggregated around the fire before bedtime, the two Gondorians had pulled up a log. Thagon pulled out a small block of wood and set to work with his knife, chipping away at the wood in a never-ending quest for artistic perfection. Instead of wasting time, Leena had pulled out a small sharpening stone from a pouch on her belt and a knife from her boot and set about sharpening. Apparently, she had entered one of her more philosophical moments. That would have to be corrected as soon as possible.

“I’ve got a younger sister, but I must confess that I adore her. She’s smart enough, but puts far more value in clothing and talk than action. Your sister does seem somewhat headstrong.”

Cartil responded with a loud laugh. “You’ve just said the understatement of the year. Jess certainly has a mind of her own. But she’s insistent, and fairly good at what she puts her mind to.”

“Then you’re luckier than you think you are, Cartil. It’s a rare thing to find a person who’ll put their hearts a minds into a task these days.”

“Indeed,” replied the diplomat thoughtfully, “you certainly have a point. But points do little when their grating on your nerves.”

Throwing a half playful, half serious look at Thagon, she responded, “The elves say that Nienna gives wisdom through suffering and perseverance. ‘Tis certainly been a great comfort, or I would have gone mad long ago.”
Old 04-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #52
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

The dark elf approached her and sat down in the indicated spot. He was lean and precision showed in his every move. His black hair caught the faint light, making it look alive and flowing in rhythm with the body it was connected to. He couldn't seem to find anything to say and kept his eyes carefully adverted from her. Lanaey expected this however, since he was a very shy person from a shy race.

"I am known as Lanaey, what might you go by?"

He still kept his head slightly tilted against her. "I am Galain of the North."

Lanaey looked off and saw the scholarly Elf Annanoldowen and the human youth Jesslyn sparing off in another part of the camp. Strange, Lanaey never thought that Annanoldowen would know how to use a blade so, but she seemed to be holding her own quite well against the sparing girl.

"Humans are very interesting, aren't they?" Lanaey spoke, still watching the match.

Galain quickly looked at her in confusion at the random comment, then followed her gaze and saw the two mock-fighting. "I don't know much about them."

"Well, for one thing they are very young, and will always be that way. Most think that they are wiser than the Elven elders, especially the youth, but they do have their unique insights. They can be very suprising at times." Lanaey was thinking back to a time when she had been fighting against a loose band of orcs and she had come upon a small group of humans that were hunting the same group. They had combined forces and one of the youngest human fighters had saved her life through his own intuition. A smile came to her lips, now there was one arrogant, honest, and brave lad.

Galain watched for a moment longer, then shifted his eyes to another spot. Lanaey didn't follow his gaze. "They are very different from my people, as are you."

Lanaey turned and faced the dark Elf fully. He raised his face and they locked eyes, searching each other out. "I am not so different from you. Perhaps your people though, but not you nor your travelling kin I suspect."

Galain raised a brow, pondering, still searching.

Lanaey absentmindedly reached up and rubbed her ear cuff, turning her gaze outward.

Galain was still watching Lanaey when he spoke next and she turned back to him. "What are you fighting her for?"

Lanaey was about to give her automatic answer of 'because it's a wrong that needs righting', but something in his gaze paused her and made her search a little deeper inside of herself, near to the struggle inside of her.

"I'm not sure. I first came because I felt that I could help. Now, it seems as if something will happen that will change me. I don't know if it will be for the better or not, yet I can't turn from the path," Lanaey gave a short snort accompanied by a wry smile. "I'm already changing and I don't know why or what to do about it. Normally I wouldn't speak to you, especially not about things I'm going through, but. . ." Lanaey wasn't sure what she was saying or why. Once again she was not in tight control of herself, yet this time it didn't scare her as it had before.

Shrugging and smiling, Lanaey turned back to her guest.

Galain just nodded.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:20 AM   #53
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Before Laurel could say a word, she heard an almighty noise from the bushes. Coming out wet and bedraggled was Jesslyn Stone, obviously thrown off her brothers steed. A small smile crept on Laurel's face, but she shrugged it away. A soft chuckle came from behind her 'She should be more careful'

'I suppose' Laurel turned to smile at the Rohirrim, a great grin on his face 'That horse was most certainly out of her skill'

She sat down next to him and he offered her a mug of ale. Accepting, she spoke after a silence 'What are ye expecting from our journey?'

'An adventure' Herebrand said with a smile before turning more steadily to her 'And to stop another War of course' She nodded and turned her face to the fire.

'Tell me more about Swan Wood' he asked

Their conversation ran long that night, and she told him all she could of the place she had lived in for so long.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:55 AM   #54
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Cuor stumbled out of the tree that morning, muttering in her native tongue and cursing all the great oafs in the camp. Stumbling off into the forest to relieve himself, he was accosted and pushed to the floor. Kicking out, the attacker gave a yowl and he stood to face Gita with a scowl 'Beast! Can you not leave me in peace!!'

Gita smiled at him, and he noticed the devious curve of her mouth as she spoke 'How was I to know it was ye? Though I do wish to talk with ye Cuor' She fiddled with her hair a slight before adding seriously 'How do ye hope to win her Cuor? When she discovers your treachery, she'll want ye dead'

Cuor fought back waves of fury, but still spat out at her 'She will know why I did it!! And if she wont see reason, I have my ways!!'

Gita nodded ad she leant against a tree, and produced one of the poisonous darts that had become the bane of the village people 'Indeed you do, my Elf friend' she said, twisting it in her fingers. 'Do ye plan on poisoning her then?'

Cuor could take no more and stormed out of the clearing with a growl. Before her could, he strong arm grasped his shoulder, and though he shrugged her off, he still turned to hear her...
Old 04-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #55
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Annunfuin sat by the great camp fire and stared at the flames however without seeing them. His mind wandered its own routes, memories came and went as they wished and he did not try to control the flow. Sounds and smells from around him triggered recollections of days long gone. At some point an old melody filled his head. He began humming, first wavering then intensifying as the words arose from Annunfuin's subconscious.

The King was yet without a crown
but great was he as 'twas known
Hope he was when hope was frail
and men would follow him or fail.

All other sounds ceased, both men and elves turned to look at the grey Gondorian. Annunfuin's voice was dark and velvety yet clear and calm, filling the twilight air.

Seven times thousand brave men
then marched towards Evil's den
one who falters will go down
so Forth! To death or great renown.

They saw the Gates of Mordor land
and there was hardly heart or hand
which did not tremble before that sight
of Sauron's realm and endless night.

All hope seemed lost, doom was near
foe o'erwhelming caused great fear
shades and arrows filled the air
and the cries of Nazguls killed all fair.

But Tree and Stars rose unyielding
the flag which the King was wielding
with White Horse and the Silver Swan
men stood against the foe as one.

Blood was shed, brave men were lost
no greater could have been the cost
proud warriors that gave their lives
to save their children and their wives.

And so befell amid the fall
that aid came by the hands of the small
and in the end conjoined all cords
'twas the end of Dark Lord's.

One thing there was that made this true
and these will be my final cue
When doom seems clear, all in vain
Faith without hope is one that remain.

Annunfuin fell silent and then stood up to stir the fire. He could feel the stares of the others and needed to do something to end the prolonged silence. He turned to face Laurel who had been talking with Herebrand, and spoke:

"Well, we still have both faith and hope, and our hopes will come true."

"But this time we have to trust no hands but our own. No little folk nor eagles are here to aid us."

Annunfuin recognised the voice that came from behind him and he raised his eyes to meet Sir Thagon’s piercing look…

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 04-26-2003, 03:38 PM   #56
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

“She’ll never love ye Cuor! You’re playing a fool!” Gita watched as Cuor left the clearing, eyes dark. She crouched down on the palms of her feet and leaned against a tree, placing the dart back in her bandoleer. Eyes, narrowed she sat there in thought. Cuor is a fool. That Swan Lady will never know him as anything but a monster. He is destroying her town and by doing so, she herself. She shook her head of the thoughts and stood.

“Good,” she said simply. “The people of Swan Wood,” she spat the name with distaste, “will know their place. Then Cuor will see,” bottled anger rose in her throat, “Fool!” She turned and fled the clearing, racing back to her tent. It was behind that of the king’s, made of dark green fabrics to blend into the trees. Far from the camp’s center, she had the most privacy here, and quickly changed into a costume that would serve her next mission: that of a servant in the house of the Swan Lady. Tonight, there was to be a meeting with Laurel’s recruits and Taralphiel herself. Gita didn’t want to miss it!
Old 04-26-2003, 05:26 PM   #57
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elena slowed down and wiped her eyes, trying to stop crying. Now I upset the wild girl! she thought. Maybe she'll eat me after all
Surprisingly the thought drove away the tears, and she looked around curiously. This was a part of the village she hadn't seen before and she didn't know how to get back.
Good! she thought. I don't want to go back there

There were some trees around where she was standing, as well as cottages.
"I wonder what animals live here?" she asked Della with a smile, walking over to a garden.
"Hello Kitty-cat" she added, as a tabby came and began to wind around her ankles. Laying Della on a wall, Elena picked the cat up.
"You're a pretty kitty" she said, and giggled. "I wonder if you're magic. Can you speak?"
"Meow" replied the cat.
"Yes, Kitty I agree it's a lovely day." Elena answered seriously. "Can I introduce you to my friend, Della?"
Elena walked with the cat over to the wall.
"I hope you're pleased to meet each other. Well, Kitty I would love to talk all day but I must get on. No I can't stay for tea" Elena put the cat down and picked up her doll, for once not noticing her rumpled dress.

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #58
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

And so befell amid the fall
that aid came by the hands of the small
and in the end conjoined all cords
'twas the end of Dark Lord's.

One thing there was that made this true
and these will be my final cue
When doom seems clear, all in vain
Faith without hope is one that remain.

Laurel listened as the strong voice of Annunfuin slowly faded into the warmth of the fire. Se wanted to cry, but tears welled up on the inside. It was then he heard him mutter to her "Well, we still have both faith and hope, and our hopes will come true." She let a small smile creep up on her face before someone broke the silence.

"But this time we have to trust no hands but our own. No little folk nor eagles are here to aid us."

Thagon's words were sobering, but very true. She nodded at him, and kept silent. His words gave her a desire to wield her sword, so she quietly excused herself from the campfire. Herebrand made a small protest but she quelled it, and wished him goodnight.

Standing deep in the forest, she found a small clearing. Unsheathing her sword, it cried through the wind. Closing her eyes she let the movement of the breeze direct where her sword went in clear movements. Imagining foes crowding about the clearing, she moved her blade and tried to counter attacks that were simply air. Her mind felt at peace, satisfied she was doing something, hardened by Thagon's words.

There was an unnatural movement in the trees, and she spun, blade half raised and squinted to see who was coming through the canopy...
Old 04-26-2003, 10:22 PM   #59
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Roven stumbled through the trees to run headlong into the Lady Laurel. Her sword brandished, she looked a terrible sight. He stumbled to his knees in wonder

'She said you would be here! Praise the Vali! The forest is very close Milady! The village is waiting for ye!'

The dawn had just begun, and Laurel slowly realised how long she had been in the grove. Numbly she nodded and headed back to camp.

~*~

Taralphiel sat, waiting for her messanger to return. A young girl came with some herbal tea. Stooping low, the girls face was hidden from her site. Taralphiel slowly reached out her old hand and lifted the girls chin. Her eyes were masked. She waved her off cautiously, then mused to herself 'I must be wary of her' At that the messenger ran in, and panted out that Lady Laurel was coming soon.

Taralphiel eased herself out of her chair and moved towards the threshhold of her house as she heard hooves pound in the distance...
Old 04-29-2003, 05:40 PM   #60
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Lanaey could see the little village up ahead. It had more people in it than she would have thought, but even so, the village had desperately few people walking its streets. The populus seemed to be in a kind of stupor going through their days, but they held on waiting for liberation which was supposed to come from the group Laurel was leading to them.

Lanaey looked around at the rest of the group. Several were looking around eagerly, trying to see everything, while some, like the most stout of the Rohan riders, were just staring straight ahead not taking in the pleasures of the sight before them. Shrugging Lanaey turned and looked at the dark Elves. The eldest was looking ahead searching for nothing in particular, though the younger ones, especially Galain were sneaking peeks around at this strange new sight for them. Lanaey got a slight smile on her lips from watching them being fascinated by the village they were entering upon and trying to hide that fascination.

The group was heading through the edge of the village and finally entering in it. Lanaey could hear the siblings Jess and Cartil talking behind her, tuning them out she focused soley on the village around her. She could hear people walking, running errands, or talking to one another. She could also hear some animals, mostly staying away from the humans, though some like cats strayed among them. Though it seemed mostly peaceful in this land, Lanaey could feel a tremor running under the surface. It generated from the people mostly and was seeping into everything. Many of the animals had become skittish and nervous, showering their feelings back upon the land that spawned the feelings in them in the first place. The strain had to be affecting the people a lot as well. Of course there was then the war and bloodlust coming in from the far away raiders, though their influence wasn't putting too much of a damper on the land itself yet.

Lanaey had strayed off to the side from the group a bit in listening and trying to interpret the sounds and life around her. She turned Drass sharply to get back to the group as quickly as possible and Drass suddenly reared up and swung to the side landing heavily to the right. Drass had barely missing a young child that had just been playing with a cat and hadn't been paying attention to what was going on around her. Lanaey realized that she hadn't been paying attention either and the fault was hers. As was happening more often of late Lanaey mentally kicked herself. She was going to do a very long meditation cycle tonight. She had almost killed an innocent child and that carelessness would only get herself or a member of the group killed in the upcoming days. Patting Drass for being more observant than she, Lanaey swung off and knelt down to the child.

"Are you harmed child?" The little girl seemed stunned and couldn't speak, but with a quick checking over Lanaey saw that she hadn't been hurt, only startled. Looking down Lanaey saw a little doll. Picking it up and handing it to the little human she said, "Here, I bet she got awefully scared when the horse jumped."

The girl seemed to come back to herself and said . . .
Old 05-03-2003, 04:31 AM   #61
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Elena looked up as a huge horse swung to the side just in front of her. It was a beautiful horse, and very well cared for. Looking further up she saw the rider. An Elf! she thought She's an Elf! It's like a story!

The beautiful Elf leant down and picked up Della, who had fallen in the shock.
"Here I bet she got awfully scared when the horse jumped" the Elf said. Elena gave a tiny curtsey.
"I think she's more surprised to see an Elf" she said. "You are very beautiful, and so is your horse"
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #62
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Laurel dismounted her horse in the town center as the cavalry followed. Children squealed in awe and delight at the sight of men with great swords and flapping standards. The women gave great smiles of relief, and the men of the village offered their homes eagerly to those who needed shelter. Laurel moved around the crowds, greeting and talking with all the villagers. ‘By Eru Thomas! You have grown. Ye are almost as tall as I!’ she laughed at a little boy. He grinned and skipped away. Laurel’s face fell when she saw a bent old woman with white hair standing away from the huddle. Running forward, she greeted the woman with a pained expression. Nodding, she returned to the group of warriors. ‘We must now decide who to take with us to the House, and who wishes to stay’ She turned to the Elf Lanaey, who seemed to be a little shaken, with a child shadowing her steps ‘I have a request of thee, Lady. My grandfather has been taken by one of the darts I spoke of. He is at Mandos’ door. Could you please see him, and see if you cannot help?’ Lady Lanaey nodded and bent down to murmur to the little girl, and Annanoldowen, who had just returned from the dressmakers, spoke up ‘Though I am to accompany thee, I would like to see Sir Havlor myself. I wish to understand as well what these weapons do, and if we both can help him’ Lanaey smiled in appreciation. ‘It is settled. The group heading to see Lady Taralphiel leave as soon as Lady Annanoldowen are done. Who is to accompany me?’
Old 05-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #63
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The dark elves rode silently observing their companions. Rûdhchamion had been amused of the brothers’ curiosity of the humans, as well as of the other elves. They knew that Lanaey was more of a warrior than of a loremaster, such as Annanoldowen. Through Galain’s conversation with Lanaey, they learned more of their elven kins from Imladris, or Rivendell, which he knew but a few tales of. They had not the chance to learn more of Annanoldowen.

Soon they were entering a village. Gorath sensed a change in his cousin’s mood and turned towards him, but Rûdhchamion seemed to be searching for someone. Perhaps this Taralphiel, he thought. Soon, he too was lost in fascination of the village and its inhabitants.

They slowed when Lanaey nearly ran over a young child, who was more awed than hurt. The young girl had looked on with her eyes wide with surprise.

As they reached the town center, Laurel dismounted and greeted an old woman. She seemed troubled, though relieved somewhat at the sight of the group. Laurel than turned and addressed the company.

‘It is settled. The group heading to see Lady Taralphiel leave as soon as Lady Annanoldowen are done. Who is to accompany me?’

The brothers turned to their cousin. Rûdhchamion shook his head slightly, perceptible only to the two. It would be their choice then. Galain raised a brow and dismounted, as did Gorath.

“We would be glad to be of service to thee, Lady,” Galain said, bowing slightly.

Rûdhchamion, too had dismounted, but said to Laurel, “ I would give aid where it may be needed, but I seek for one I knew. Where is Taralphiel?”
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #64
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Jess couldn’t help but let a smile full of glee spread on her face. Some of the children were so small! Some of them tugged on the hem of Jesslyn’s grey tunic, while others jumped up and down at the sight of Elves. The group stopped at the village center, and was bombarded with people. Men offered places to sleep, women offered their skill with baking and cooking, and children just huddled around the group with joy plastered on their faces.

“Look at them all, Cartil! They all look so sweet!” Jesslyn cried, tousling the hair on one little boy. Cartil looked like he was about to go crazy as little girls ‘ooh-ed’ and ‘ah-ed’ when he walked by. Boys nagged at him to let them ride Sparrow, and he came close to ripping a chunk of his hair out when one girl nearly brought him tumbling down after grabbing onto the end of his bow.

“Oh yes, so sweet.” Cartil grumbled and shook off several put-down children.

“Mandos save the woman who marries you, Cartil.” Jesslyn shot back, and picked up a boy who looked to be about six or seven years old. She swung him around carefully, then gently set him down back on the ground.

“It is settled. The group heading to see Lady Taralphiel leave as soon as Lady Annanoldowen are done. Who is to accompany me?” Laurel’s voice rose above the slight chaos of the village gathering.

“We’re going with her,” Cartil commented passively, but Jesslyn shook her head.

“No! I think I’ll stay here and help keep this place safe…” Jesslyn spoke decidedly as she danced with two little boys and their sister.

“Jess, you’re coming with me to see Lady Taralphiel, and that’s that.” Cartil argued, however calmly as he shooed a teenage boy who had been interested in his sword.

“Come now, Cartil. You’re the one with the message to deliver, not me. Besides, your not my mother, and you can’t tell me what to do!”

“Well I’m your older brother and I expect you to treat me with respect. I also would appreciate it if you’d listen to me once in a while, and do as I say. I am only trying to do what’s best for you, for me, and for Swan Wood.”

“Cartil, it is folly for us to be arguing over something so stupid. Go where you want but I am staying here,” Jesslyn finished, and the fight stopped there. Cartil glared angrily at his sister, who casually blew upwards to get a stray lock of messy black hair out of her face.

“Fine!” with that, Cartil stormed off to find some peace and quiet from the villagers before he would have to leave to go and meet Lady Taralphiel.

"Fine!" Jess mumbled in a mockingly high voice, and turned back to her dance with the three children. "Don't bother that man over there, he is a very grumpy old dog!"
Old 05-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #65
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Annanoldowen deeply resented wearing the clothing of a shield-maiden, but due to the strenuous travel (and possibly warfare) she would endure these next few weeks, she reluctantly conformed to such attire. The elf stood in front of the mirror of a local clothe shop in the village of Alphirion. She eyed her new ensemble dismayingly. Dark brown riding pants were covered halfway to just above the knee by simple, tan colored boots. A crisp white ‘swordswoman’s’ shirt was worn under a tough leather jerkin. The jerkin tied up the front with a leather string weaving in and out of a dozen pairs of grommets. The wings of the jerkin were made of a tougher material adding protection to the elf’s shoulders. Her silver feather pendant was visible between the collars of her shirt. Strapped to her belt were her regular sword and a new addition: a dagger of fine make that she had purchased at the local smithy’s shop. Her long blonde hair had been brushed out of her face and pulled back into one long braid, and secured with a thin leather strap at the end. Over all, she looked the part of any regular shield maiden. If not for her pointed ears and sharp features, she could almost pass for a woman of Rohan or Gondor. The thought was amusing.

“Are you satisfied?” asked an anxious shopkeeper as Annanoldowen took in her new look.

“I do not like the snug feel of this jerkin,” she replied, trying to loosen it under the arms with her thumbs.

“It’s best for travel,” was the rejoinder. Sighing, Annanoldowen paid the woman generously and left the shop.

A warm breeze greeted her, twirling the silver chimes on the clothe shop’s porch. Her new boots made no sound as she walked down the three steps to her horse. A small group of children had gathered and were looking admiringly at Taurawaa. Smiling kindly at them, Annanoldowen mounted and spurred her horse away from the row of shops and down the road. She joined the rest of the group just in time to visit a man by the name of Havlor who was passing due to one of the poison darts.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:36 AM   #66
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Laurel moved quietly through the small rooms of the house of her grandfather, the group of Elves and Men that accompanyied her bowing to her grandmother at the door. Entering into the small bedchambers, her breathing caught at the sight of Havlor.

He barely dented the sheets he was lying in. His face was as pale as winter, his once ruddy brown hair not white and clinging to his pasty skull. But his sunken eyes did not lose their tender and wondrouns gaze of grey.

'Oh! My dearest Grandaughter! I am so glad to see thee!' he attempted to sit up, but coughing wracked his body. Laurel moved quickly to him, and soothed him back down into the pillow. Her heart breaking, she slowly coaxed water from a nearby jug over his cracked lips.

'Grandfather! I have missed you so much! I do wish I could have told thee I was going..' 'No need, dear child!' he grinned 'I am glad you went, and glad to see you got back safe' Laurel smiled at the old man as he said 'Tell me, did you see the view of the White Citadel?'

'Oh yes, grandfather. It was wonderful, just like you said it would be.' 'Good! It does me glad to know that even when an old warriors bones waste away, his City stands gleaming for all eyes to see' Laurel stopped him there 'Well, you may be able to see the White City again' and with that she motioned in two Elves.

Havlor chuckled 'I see Taralphiel is again good to her word' He again began to cough, and the taller Elf moved forward, and with a sharp gaze began to examine the old man.

The wound from the dart was by his left shoulder, and after all these weeks still lay part open. The skin around had turned black with teh poison, leaving evil stains on the bandages. Many nights Havlor would sink away into a dream, and only by a miracle would he wake. The Elf muttered to herself, and turned to the other, and they stirred over his body for a long time...
Old 05-08-2003, 03:10 PM   #67
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

While poison was generally considered a somewhat cowardly way to bump an opponent off, both Thagon and Leena had had some experience with the use and acquisition of such contraband. In the knight’s case, a certain stubborn ambassador from Umbar had mysteriously fallen ill after spending a night in a inn a day’s travel from Minas Anor. While the poor man had recovered, the king had prevailed on the less experience deputy to grant certain trade concessions. He secretly suspected that Leena used it somewhat more frequently, but it was not a normal conversational topic. The knight was somewhat curious about the use of a poisoned arrow. Either the archers knew that their victims didn’t wear armor, or had never considered that they might come to the attention of the White Tower. Whatever poison the bandits had used, it certainly didn’t kill quickly. Perhaps they were trying to terrorize the villagers before some sort of assault?

In all honesty, Thagon didn’t have much hope for the continued survival of the village. It certainly hadn’t been designed for a siege, and the steady depopulation of the town seriously hampered the possibility that fieldworks could be erected in time. Perhaps the best course of action would be to call for reinforcements and smash the foe in open battle, but no one seemed to know any sort of useful information. All the Gondorian had been able to glean from the scant scraps of news was that the enemies in question weren’t very well armed. At the moment, the best he could hope for was to capture a prisoner for interrogation. He made a mental note to suggest such a move to Laurel when things quieted down.

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 05-08-2003, 05:20 PM   #68
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

The little human had followed Lanaey as she rejoined her group in the center of the town. Jesslyn seemed to be thriving on the attention of the other children, but her little follower wasn't going to join the other kids at play. Elena's little hand seemed to have attached itself to a stray strap of leather hanging off of her belt. Looking down Lanaey could see the circle of hair that made the top of Elena's head. The child let off such feelings of kindness and strength even though she was so young, Lanaey smiled and patted her.

Lanaey turned as Laurel spoke to her. "I have a request of thee, Lady. My grandfather has been taken by one of the darts I spoke of. He is at Mandos’ door. Could you please see him, and see if you cannot help?" Lanaey nodded even though she wasn't too sure that she could do much to help the old man. Lanaey had only come in contact with poisons used to kill outside of food and drink no more than a dozen times in her long life. Bending down she took Elena's hand in hers. Their eyes locked and Lanaey couldn't really think of what she wanted to tell the child.

"I have to go now, and you can't follow me anymore. I'm sure Della's getting hungry by now, why don't you take her home?"

Elena hugged her doll tight. "We just moved here, but Della is getting hungry. Will I see you later?"

Lanaey did a tiny tickle play causing Elena to scrunch up her stomach and giggle. "I'm not sure, but I'm staying in the village so we'll probably bumb into each other from time to time. Now get on home."

The little girl jumped forward and gave Lanaey a quick hug before starting to skip off in the direction Lanaey assumed was her home. There was some more talk among the group before Laurel broke off motioning for Lanaey and Annanoldowen to follow her. Walking behind the human youth Lanaey noticed that as they walked straight to a house sheltered among the tree's that a couple of other humans had stopped to stare at the trio. They seemed to be more focused on Laurel than the two strange elves though. Lanaey focused on their faces and feelings. Those humans were worried about how Laurel would react to how her grandfather was doing. He must be about ready to leave this world. Glancing over at Laurel Lanaey could tell that she was preparing herself for just that.

They wound through the house until they got to a darkened room were a very old human lay barely hanging onto his life. Pain was showing out of his eyes, yet he tried to hide it for his loved one.

As Laurel and Havlor conversed for a bit Lanaey thought back to all that she knew about poison. She couldn't think of any times where she encountered poison darts and she only knew a couple cures for poisons. Lanaey came back to herself when Annanoldowen stepped forward to inspect the old man closer. The wound was by his left shoulder and the poison was visible by changing his skin multiple colors by the puncture. The scholarly elf muttered to herself then turned and motioned for Lanaey to come over.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:44 AM   #69
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Annanoldowen turned to Lanaey. "Do you know about poison?"

Lanaey shrugged slightly. "Not too much, all I can do is assist I'm afraid."

Annanoldowen nodded and looked once more at the ill man. "Laurel, could you get me some hot water and rags. Lanaey, I need you to go get my saddle bad with the herbs in it and then I'll give you both some more instructions."

Laurel had already gone out the door to get the water before the scholarly elf had finished talking. Lanaey started a slow jog through the house and picked up the pace when she got into the open. The horses were near, tethered just beyond the porch of the little home that they were in. Lanaey found the herb sack on her first look through the saddlebags. Upon turning back toward the house Lanaey saw the worried neighbors with curious looks on their faces, ignoring them she started up her jog once more through the home. She could hear voices that were muffled by the walls, but were coming in much clearer as she neared the sick room.

". . .that root. Once you get those three then I'll be able to mix," was Annanoldowen's calm voice.

Lanaey almost bumped into Laurel as the young maiden was quickly exiting the room to fetch the requested items.

"Oh, and get two more bowls. Lanaey, did you get it? Good, if you would place it on the table next to the bowl of water."

Annanoldowen started right away to unpack and group together her different herbs. When it was all out she gathered together a small bunch and put it aside, took two more little pouches and placed them next to the first group, then put the rest back into the saddlebag which then found its place on the floor.

Lanaey just stood there, observing. The scholarly elf then soaked one rag in the warm water and rubbed a faintly pinkish fine powder onto the rag. "Rub this gently onto the wound and try to clean all around the puncture area."

Lanaey took the rag and walked over to the man who looked at the rag with a raised eyebrow, but he didn't comment against her using it on him.

"Excuse me," a voice of a young girl interrupted them, causing Annanoldowen to turn. "Lady Laurel sent me in with these bowls, are they to your liking?"

Annanoldowen smiled. "They are, you can give them to me."

The girl didn't even look at the elf she was talking to, her eyes were riveted on the old man. Coming up close to Annanoldowen she whispered, "Will he be alright?"

The scholarly elf smiled, "We'll try our best. Thank you for the bowls." The girl shuffled out with another glance at Havlor.

As Lanaey rubbed the pink cloth around and on the wound, a smear appeared and seemed to soak into the skin itself. She tried to be as gentle as possible, yet the elderly man winced several times. Lanaey was still applying the cloth to the shoulder area when Laurel came back in.

Annanoldowen poured a little water into one bowl and a lot of water into another. Grabbing the two little herb pouches she opened them and poured select amounts from each into the bowl with a little water. Taking one of the three herbs from Laurel she ground it for a bit onto the table, then sprinkled in just a tiny amount.

"Here, mix this until your arms feel like they want to drop." Annanoldowen handed the bowl to Laurel who sat down and started stiring it from a stick provided by Annanoldowens saddle bag. "Are you done Lanaey? Come stir this water."

Lanaey looked down into the bowl filled with water and nothing else. The scholarly elf handed her another stirring stick from across the table and Lanaey obediently started to swirl the clear water. As she stirred Annanoldowen started to add in the other herbs that she had set aside. Occasionally taking a break from adding materials to grind up some more. Switching arms Lanaey continued to stir the now light brownish green liquid. "There, you can stop now. It has to settle before I can add the final ingredient. How's that paste coming along Laurel?"

Standing up, the young maiden brought over her bowl to show a very thick, yellow mud like mixture.

Annanoldowen smiled. Taking the bowl she went and put half of it onto the shoulder and then wrapped it up tight.

Then they waited. After a good while Annanoldowen added her final powder to the mixture Lanaey had helped with, yet they had to wait more for it to spread through out the entire bowl. When Annanoldowen said that it was ready, they took it over to Havlor and made him drink it all, with him sputtering and grimacing at the taste. After he had drank all the liquid and thought he could rest some more Annanoldowen produced a spoon and fed him the remants at the bottom of the bowl. Lanaey had to snicker at the look that the elderly man gave his healer as she gave him a mouthful of aweful medicine. After he had choked all of that down Annanoldowen made a sweet mixture with the rest of the water that he could drink, easing the bitterness left on his tongue. It also made the old man very tired and he quickly drifted off to sleep. Then Annanoldowen removed the bandages and wipped off the rest of the lingering paste. The wound did look somewhat better, but far from normal. Putting the rest of the paste onto Havlor's shoulder, Annanoldowen wrapped it up once more.

"There. We can just leave this paste on. That's all that I can think of to do for your grandfather Laurel."

Laurel nodded and smiled warmly at Annanoldowen and Lanaey. "Thank you both." Moving over to her kin she kissed the sleeping mans forehead then led the scholarly Elf out to move on to the Swan House.

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 05-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #70
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Are you posisitive you met a real elf?" Fiona asked. The sun was setting. The tow girls were on the porch, peeling carrots for a stew. Well, Elena was peeling carrrots. Fiona, on the other hand was balancing along the banaster and using the peels to teach Porridge to "Roll over and play dead".

"Of course I met a real elf! Do you think I´d lie?" Elena said, indignant.

Fiona goaned. Here we go again "Oh, no. It´s just the Lady Laurel is very Elf-like herself. It´s hard to tell a difference, you see." she reassured the other girl.

"Now, Porridge. See this carrot peel? Hmmm. Do you want to have it?" The squirell eagerly sat up and wagged it´s tail. "No, Porridge, that trick is ancient. You Roll over and play Dead! The squirrel just blinked at her. "Oh you stupid thing, Roll over and play Dead! Come on, you can do that!"

"My Daddy says it´s wrong to make wild animals your pets, and teach them tricks and all that." Elena said from behind her. Fionas clenged her fists- hard. Elena, obviously not aware of the peril she was in, continued "Squirells don´t belong in the house. They´re no pets, they´re wild animals- and they´re dangerous."

Fiona turned to Elena. "You´re just a stupid little Miss Priss, aren´t you? You don´t know ANYTHING! Porridge isn´t a pet. He´s my friend. He tells me his secrets, and I tell him mine. I never force him to do anything, and we always understand each other. And he´s not dangerous!! I mean-" her tirade was interrupted by Rian, and ten minutes later she was again locked in her room and once again thought things were NOT going the way they should.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:45 AM   #71
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Elena sat quietly while Rian braided her hair for bed. She really wanted to pick up Della, but she knew that that would make Rian lose her plce in the plaiting. Even though Rian had been so nice about Fiona yelling at her, Elena felt bad.
"Rian" she whispered, swallowing.
"Hmmm?" asked Rian absently, still plaiting Elena's long hair.
"You know Fiona didn't do anything to me"
"She upset you again" said Rian. "She has to learn to be nice to people, instead of those filthy creatures"
Not all animals are filthy! thought Elena, but she didn't want to say anything to upset Rian.
"May I go and see her?" she asked quietly.
"Of course. I'm finished"

With a smile Elena got up, picked up Della and kissed Rian's cheek.
"Thank you for doing my hair. Papa doesn't know how to"

Elena walked to Fiona's door and knocked.
"I won't apologise-" Fiona began from inside the room, pulling the door open.
"Oh. What?"
Elena was scared. The wild girl had a wild look on her face.
"I'm sorry you got in trouble" she whispered. "I'm sorry for what I said about the squirell. It was just what Papa told me. He never let me play with the squirells or anything around our farm. Maybe it's different in a village. Did I tell you about the Elf-lady's horse? He was so beautiful. And really friendly!"
She stopped, looking pleadingly at Fiona. "I really am sorry"
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-17-2003, 05:31 AM   #72
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Fiona doubtfully looked at the other girl. She was saying sorry?

"Has Rian made a cake?" She asked. When Elena loked at her bewildered, she felt forced to explain "Whenever I do something, Rian says 'Now go apologize and you can have a piece'." Elena looked even more shoked. Fiona noticed her eyes were filling again. Not again! "So, is there a cake?" Elena shook her head.

"I´m.. I´m just sorry." she wispered.

"Ummm" Fiona said. This was awkward. "Ok... fine. Thank you" she added a bit unsurely. Elena smiled shyly. At that moment Rian showed up.

"Bed-time, girls. Come on, Elena." she lead the girl away. Fiona closed her door again and climed on her windowsill. Pity Rian butted in she thought. Maybe Miss Priss would have opened her mouth for a change....

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 05-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #73
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Laurel left the house with relief filling her to a small extent. Havlor had been treated, but it was no assurance that he would recover. On her way out she found Leena, standing by the main enterance to the town. Greeting her she asked ‘Milady, would you know anything about poison?’ Leena nodded briskly ‘I have studied it somewhat’ Laurel smiled ‘I would ask you then if you could assist Lady Lanaey for the time being? I am in need of expertise, and you would be beneficial’ At that Lady Leena sauntered away to the House of Havlor, and Lady Laurel approached the group setting out, just as Lady Annanoldowen arrived beside her. ‘The Swan House awaits us’ Laurel said glowingly.

~*~

Laurel wandered through the forest. Her steps made no sound. Behind her were a few of her cavalry she had brought back with her, all in awe at what they had seen. Most of the troops had been left at the village, but their representatives had come to see the Lady of these lands, one who is called Swan Queen, Lady Taralphiel. The trek had been for a few hours. Only one horse was with them, and the path was too narrow for free riding, so it was being lead. Its gentle footfalls were all that could be heard by the Men for a long time. But the Elves heard whisperings, murmurs through the trees, as only they could hear. The forest was filled with thin, silvery stemmed and dark trunks, with splaying boughs and deep coloured leaves. Occasionally they would encounter small shrubs of dark green and glossy leaves, with a bright streak of gold and silver. ‘Laurel trees’ she whispered, with a small smile. Thagon held silent, brooding on the choice to leave his comrade behind. Cartil too, wished his sister could see such beauty. Annunfuin was the closest to Laurel, but said naught. Herebrand stood proud and did not bow to the majesty of the forest. Soon the trees made the path a little wider, and the way clearer. It was then that many stopped when looking out to the East. For through the trees cold be seen the clear shine of the ocean, and the long Cliffside running by it. ‘The point is narrowing’ muttered Herebrand to Thagon, who said nothing. Annanoldowen kept aloof from the group and walked in her own thoughts. Laurel stopped, and the others stared in awe.

There, was the house of Taralphiel. A great stone archway revealed the place entwined with vines, which bloomed with jasmine. Stepping through, they saw the beginnings of her abode. The thatched roof bore swans on its edges, and it seemed their wings patterned the tiles. The threshold had no door, but thin gossamer curtains. Many columns supported the weight of the house, and it seemed to pass away for a great space, long into the rest of the forest. ‘I did not imagine such beauty’ sighed Herebrand ‘You cannot imagine this place good sir’ said Laurel.

She lead them to the door, where fair faced maidens took all their travel gear, and rested their feet. Laurel wasted no time in finding her grandmother, and was away long. The party was left to wander the light filled halls. Annanoldowen ran her fingers across the many bookshelves, and her smile was unguarded. Herebrand poured over the shields and armour of the Rohirrim on the walls. Thagon walked through the rooms, and wandered off into the gardens, and saw the tombs of the warriors who had perished only days before. Annunfuin stood by the cliffedge on the East Side of the house, and meditated.

An older maid called the group into the main hall. ‘The Lady Laurel now asks that you choose your rooms for the night, and your gear will be taken there. Then it is the request of the Lady of the House that you all join her in her cliffside room’ All followed maids to beautifully furnished rooms, where the maids placed their things. ‘There are enough rooms here to house many’ marveled Annanoldowen ‘The Children take most of the space’ the woman grinned. A long hallway, lined with portraits and paintings lead to the room of the Swan Lady. All held their breath. They had traveled to the end of the house, and to the point of the cliff. They took in the beautiful open room, and its view on the ocean. There beside, stood Laurel in a gown similar to her ceremonial gown from Calembel, but dazzlingly white. And sitting on the Great Seat, was Lady Taralphiel, Swan Queen, and Lady of the wood of Alphirion.

Her silver hair was long, and she wore a thinly woven bonnet of silver string and pearls. Her silver dress shone with the light of the Moon. Her face was old and worn, but her eyes shone with wisdom and the travelers smiled. On her fingers she bore rings of moonstone, and one ring shaped like a flower, with stones of milky blue in the center. She also wore a chestplate of silver, with light leather buckles tying at the shoulders. And by her seat, she still had her sword, and it shone with the same mournful glow that astonished the warriors. She smiled, and raised her voice, raspy with age, but holding great wisdom.

‘I thank thee all for coming to Dor-En-Ernil, and to Alphirion. As you may have seen, our cause is not faint, and not in vain, at least now. My knowledge of all the years has not prepared me for this attack. Our people are simple folk, not used to wielding swords. They are no army. The attacks have been a constant, but never before have they been in such numbers, and of such ferocity. Women, children, and men alike are not safe from their swords, and fey darts. None of my healing skill has been able to take one back from the dark hands of that poison. They fight without honour, and kill without remorse. That is why I have asked for the most skilled warriors, and most knowledgeable of your people, to come forth, and help us rid the Plains and hills and forests of this scourge. I place my hope and trust with thee, and the blessings of this hallowed place upon thee and thy swords. Tonight you will rest here, and by tomorrow, your friends will join you here. From there, you set out for the Southern Confines, where the enemy has managed to hold camp for the last few nights. Vali be with you tonight’ Her voice echoed through the lightwood, and all smiled in comfort. Laurel stood unmoving, and watched her grandmother survey the eyes of the people as she had done, to see their souls. For few could escape the wisdom of the Swan Lady. At length, someone spoke…
Old 05-25-2003, 05:27 AM   #74
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

"Hello" Elena said nervously, extending her finger towards the sqirrel. "My Father told me I shouldn't play with animals like you, but Fiona says it's allowed. And anyway, they want me to play with her and she's the Wild Girl"
Elena giggled, and passed a nut from her left hand to the right, the one she was holding towards Porridge.

"He doesn't like most people. Only me"
The voice behind her made Elena jump. Guiltily she turned her head to face Fiona without moving her hand. Did she hear me say she's wild? That's so rude!
With a jump Elena felt pressure on her hand, and turned back to see Porridge leaning from the balcony towards her fingers. Fiona gasped, grabbing Elena's other arm to pull her away. Elena felt the familiar prickling sensation behind her eyes.

With a sob she pulled away and ran downstairs.
"Elena! What's wrong?"
"Papa. It was the wild- wild-"
Elena felt bad saying it was Fiona who made her cry. She probably didn't mean to, and Elena was making friends with her friend. That was probably not nice. LIke if someone took Della away.
"It was wild- men, Papa. Big ugly ones with hair all over running through the village"
Papa's face went pale.
"Oh no. We have to tell everyone, try to get away.. How could this happen again?"
Distractedly he pulled Elena into a hug. "We will be fine, El. Don't worry. I'll get us out of here."
Elena felt very scared. Why is doing this? He isn't worried about the wild girl, or the father who eats people! But he doesn't know about them...
"P-Papa, it was just my pretend- there's no real wild men"

"Elena, you mustn't do that"
Papa still looked pale and scared. Elena began to cry again.
"Elena you must learn that I don't know the difference between your pretends and what is real. You should have learned from last time. I'm going to have to send you to your room"
Quietly Elena crept to her room. She felt very silly, small and sorry but she wasn't crying.
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-25-2003, 07:44 AM   #75
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Cartil had walked past the Laurel trees with eyes full of interest. The lovely and breath taking sight of the archway was the next thing that sent his eyes wide. The swans on the edges of the roof looked as if they were just about to take flight. Cartil and the rest of the followers were led into the house, and their gear was whisked away by fair maidens as Laurel went to find her grandmother.

The hall was filled with old and historical items, and Cartil marveled at the old swords that were mounted on the wall. They were polished clean but were obviously quite old. Cartil had lifted his hand to run a finger along the blade, but he was stopped as a middle-aged woman came and asked the travelers to choose a room. Once room arrangements had been taken care of, the group was led towards the room of the Swan Lady.

The group passed by several doorways to bedrooms and portraits and hangings as they walked through the hallway. Cartil could hear children behind one door talking in hushed whispers and could hear the creaking of a bed; perhaps one child had decided to jump on the beds. Once in the Swan Lady's chamber, they were met by Laurel and presumably the Swan Lady.

The Swan Lady spoke, and Cartil tried to hide a grimace as she spoke of placing her trust and hope in the strangers. Cartil was mystified by the place he was in, but could not help but feel extreme sympathy for the Lady and her people. When the Swan Lady had finished her speech, there was a moment of awkward silence that even Cartil could not bear. Cartil bowed respectfully to the Swan Lady.

"Milady," he began, and the Swan Lady smiled a kindly smile, which reminded Cartil of his own grandmother. Cartil had been sent from Gondor to deliver tidings of support from the King, but at that point, he was speechless and dumbfounded in front of the Lady. "My - My family is from Tarnost, north of the Dor-en-Ernil. I cannot help but think and worry that if these...barbarians get through the Swan Woods, they will continue on until they are stopped. I have to wonder where they will go next if they are not stopped now. It hurts to know that this house is full of children who became orphans thanks to wild men, and I don't know what I would do if my family were threatened. I will help your people to any extent necessary to stop the murderers that are harming your people and kin."

With that, Cartil bowed again, and turned to face Laurel. "Milady, if you still have the notice from Gondor that I gave to you on our first meeting, I believe Lady Taralphiel would like to see it."

~*~

Jess stood near the center of Alphirion, her eyes focused on the skies, with billowing clouds and the greying color threatening rain. Jess held a chubby little boy in her left arm, his weight supported on her hip, and a little girl held her right hand. Sparrow had not been allowed to go with Cartil to the Swan Lady's home, so he was stuck with the little sister.

"It is going to rain soon, why don't you go home and find your daddy or mommy?" Jess cooed, gently squeezing the little girl's hand and hugging the boy. The girl let out a sob, and Jess' brows furrowed with confusion.

"We don't have a daddy!" The girl wailed, and Jess sighed. "The wild men got him!"

"Well, want me to walk you home to your mommy? I'm sure she can make everything better!" Jess reasoned, trying to sound strong for the children. With the girl's directions, Jess was able to navigate Alphirion and find the children's home. The children scurried inside when their mother opened the door.

"I trust they were good little children while they were out?" The woman asked, wiping floury hands on a dirty apron. She had bags under her eyes and her forhead was wrinkled with worry, but Jess could see that underneath the woman was probably only about five years older than her.

"Of course," Jess replied warmly and smiled at the woman. Before Jess could say anything else, a loud cracking noise and a huge booming sound thundered over Alphirion.

"Well, it isn't every day that the children get to meet someone who can actually wield a sword. All of you warriors coming is a blessing. Our husbands are...or were...good men, but most of them couldn't hold a sword or bow without hurting themselves with them. Child, it is going to storm soon, would you like to come inside?"

"No, thank you. I need to see to my brother's horse. It was nice meeting you," Jess replied, and then had second thoughts just before the woman nodded and closed the door. "Wait! Ma'am, if you would, I think it would be a good idea for you to try and find a safe hiding place in your home. Even better, find a place near a window."

The woman didn't even have to ask why. The wild men were unpredictable. If they came at unawares during a storm, few would survive. They might even torch the buildings. The woman nodded, suggested that Jess take shelter as well, and went inside. Jess turned away from the door just in time to feel raindrops fall from the sky.

Jess wandered over to Sparrow, and the horse grunted at the sight of the girl. He whinnied, and snorted at her. Jess didn't care, and put her right arm over Sparrow's whithers. Then she spoke aloud to no one in particular.

"We know our enermy, we don't know why they are our enemy. But when they come, we will fight. Not for some glorious cause, but to survive. We have no time to prepare, but once the Wild men are upon us, the ferocity of battle will determine the fate of the Swan Wood." Jess stood out in the rain nervously, waiting for something or someone to pierce through the calm sprinkle of rain.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 05-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #76
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The beauty of Swan Wood and its Lady’s house was overwhelming. The trees like towers of silver were just the beginning of its wonder. Never had Annanoldowen seen such a marvel for no books could tell the splendor of this part. The only other place whose majesty ran close was that of Lórien. The elf’s booted feet tread lightly over the ground splayed with gold and silver reflections.

The company was greeted by swan maids who led them inside and to beautifully furnished rooms. Annanoldowen laid her things on the creamy silk that covered the large feather bed in the center back of the room and a maiden parted the curtains that hung over wall length windows, letting in mystical beams of sunlight that broke through the forest canopy. Bowing respectfully, the maid left, closing the intricately designed laurel doors behind her.

Annanoldowen changed into a dress of Rivendell style that was the color of the rushing Gwathló River. Elegant sleeves billowed out to her slender hands and the bodice was woven delicately from silver threads and clasped in the back with silver leaves. The elf let down and brushed her wavy hair, pinning it loosely in the back with a fanciful ornament of blue making. Upon her feet she wore slippers of the lightest fabric, and her feet passed as a silent whisper upon the marbled floors.

She met the rest of Laurel’s recruits in Taralphiel’s hall. The Swan Lady had changed much since Annanoldowen had last seen her. She had withered slightly, but still held the noble aura of power and regime. The scholarly elf bowed deep and listened as she addressed the newcomers.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:48 AM   #77
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Taralphiel looked over the travelers with a smile. All seemed to be weary, and their faces told much. She immediately recognised Rudhchamion, and his curt nod was all that was needed between the two for now. She also saw the Lady Annanoldowen, and smiled at her. It seemed many she had hopd had heard her summons.

Her attention was then drawn to the first young man of the group to speak, and she listened intently.

"Milady...My - My family is from Tarnost, north of the Dor-en-Ernil. I cannot help but think and worry that if these...barbarians get through the Swan Woods, they will continue on until they are stopped. I have to wonder where they will go next if they are not stopped now. It hurts to know that this house is full of children who became orphans thanks to wild men, and I don't know what I would do if my family were threatened. I will help your people to any extent necessary to stop the murderers that are harming your people and kin."

Taralphiel studies the sincerity in the mans eyes and smiled. 'This is what makes a good soldier' she thought to herself. He then asked Laurel to present a scroll to her, which she quickly produced. He went on to explain that it was from King Elessar himself. Taralphiel nodded and placed it reveently on her lap, before speaking:

'Good Sir Cartil, I am very pleased that you have come here. Your passion for life and your people is what makes hope and joy from it. But I cannot lead ye astray. You are correct. If the Wild Men capture Alphirion, they will strike out further, and we cannot let that happen. That, is why you are here. And I thank you for it'

Cartil seemed to find comfort in her gaze and words, and she nodded at him to show she knew what it is he thought.

Taralphiel then turned to the rest of the group...
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #78
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cuor heard the troops of the Wild King rally together in uncouth shouts. Again a great party was divided. Cuor snuck his head around a tent to see what the King had to say.

'This time we know what their weakness is!
We shall hit them where they will not be able to recover! On both fronts!!!'

The soldiers cheered and yelled in their foul tongue, and after more verbal lashings of the people of Swan Wood, the King let them off to prepare themselves.

Cuor then slinked in through the tent flaps to talk with the King. 'Ah, my little poiny eared spy! Welcome!' Cuor presented himself, marvelling at the Kings good mood.

'I came to ask of Swan Wood...and its inhabitants...' 'Aye, ye be a bold one! Yes, we shall not hurt her. You shall come with us and take her yourself' Cuor bowed and stepped out. 'Oh! But ye must also make sure ye get Gita back safely too! I do no' want my two best spies to be lost!'

Cuor left with a darker look on his face 'I do not trust that wench! She will try to ruin my plans!!' And he stalked off to brood on it more...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #79
Kryssal
Wight

Silmaril

Leena had taken over watching over the aged Havlor because Lanaey didn't know what else to do with him. The sick room was heavy and beat upon the Elf's back as she went about doing small tasks as Leena bade.

"Is there anything else you might be needed my services for?" Lanaey asked Leena who was resting in a chair at the moment.

Leena gave a thin smile. "Nothing. If I need help I'll send word."

Lanaey nodded and stepped out of the oppressive room. Lanaey felt that she needed to clear her mind and search herself. She wouldn't be of much use if she had another inner battle, of which she'd probably lose because she couldn't even see the battlefield, much less the obstacle that was hindering her so badly.

Lanaey walked over to Drass and said hello by rubbing the horses nose. Drass seemed eager for a ride so Lanaey obliged her. They didn't go far, just jaunted around the town a bit. Many of the folk would pause to stare at her as she passed, but Lanaey noticed none of it. Her mind was blank and she didn't even try to fill it with thoughts. Nothingness meant that she didn't need to work anything out. It was the easy way and she greedily took it. Once she realized that she had taken it, the Elf felt sick at herself. Stopping Drass she got off and sat down. After a few seconds she tipped over and lay on her side, staring at a grass stem. Drass whined a bit, nudged Lanaey, then went and layed down behind her master.

What do I know? I realize that I am having struggles withen myself for reasons unknown to my conscious self. Perhaps I am like that old man back in the village, dying of a slow poison. Or maybe like his village, the one that was attacked. The one where many died. . . Death, that's the key. And for an Elf? The death that awaits is never forthcoming unless inflicted by an outside source. Or an inside one. . .

Lanaey's mind rambled on and on. There were several thought repititions, like the village she was currently in. Her thoughts also followed much of her life time-line, and at points it simply went blank. It was in one of those blank points in time when something snapped to the forefront of her conscious, startling her so much that she forgot to breath for several moments.

Family

What had startled Lanaey so was that she saw a clear picture of the family she once had, and in that mental image, she was happy. Pushing up on one elbow, she pondered something that was so simple in view. When her husband had died she had started to reject the life that she had known because it no longer had her lover in it. Then, when her son died, Lanaey completely dissociated with it. The only continuous theme throughout her life was combat, and that was what she had totally committed herself to doing in order to forget.

But her soul didn't want to give up the happiness that she had once lived with. The Elf had always felt promtings to do things and she never did quite understand why she would do them. Even in her fighting, she chose the fights that helped out families the most.

I'm so blind and this happiness and love is so simple. I let something so small, yet important for every living creature, eat me away until it attacked me. Now, I'm a mess.

Lanaey got up so quickly that Drass neighed in surprise. She suddenly decided to do something that she hadn't done since her husband had died. Turning toward the land and closing her eyes, she sang. The words were not important and half-way through the lament her voice failed her. A few tears ran down her cheeks and clung to her face. Breathing deeply the Elf then said a small prayer of sorts. Her boy, who loved to get into spiritual modes of thinking, often said that when things like this happened, it was a rebirth for the being. He had argued that no Elf lived forever because of the many rebirths they would go through. A small, welcome smile came to Lanaey as she thought of when her son had argued these points to her those many years ago.

Lanaey turned quickly. Something was wrong. In studying herself so selfishly she had ignored the village and the land around it. Jumping onto Drass Lanaey galloped to the center of town with new life and resolve filling her core.

~*~

Idly wondering if she should have tried harder to go to the Swan House, Leena wandered the streets of the village. She was bored, to say the least, and it would have been nice to have Thagon there to tease; it would have made the time pass faster at least.

Sighing, the priestess sat down against a small tree off the side of a road leading out of town. She swiped the back of her neck and grimaced. The gritty sweat that rubbed off on her hand made her want to run and take a bath, but she knew she’d get to that soon. Right now she was trying to rest up a bit.

A small cat came up to her and got a nice head rub for its efforts. Laughing at the incessant purring Leena continued to pet and play with the spotted feline. It was almost napping in the gray fold of her dress when it suddenly flipped over, hissed at something behind the warrior and ran off to the nearest house with its hair completely on end.

“What was-” Leena stood up as fast as her catching dress would let her. When the cat had screeched off the maiden turned to see what the matter was, expecting to see another animal. Instead she saw wild men; they had seen her too. Cursing she ran crookedly until safely behind a building, barely escaping several darts. One particular dart had hit and stuck in the edges of her skirt. She quickly yanked the offending object out, careful not to touch the poisoned tip.

Gently sliding out her slender sword from its worn scabbard, Leena tried to double back around the house to get behind the men that she had seen. Two of the invaders were going around just that way to catch her and they faced at the corner. Lunging forward before the leading man was able to clear the corner and bring his sword to use, she stabbed him with the dart and completed the lunge by jumping over the poisoned man and bringing her sword into the second mans gut. The impaled man sputtered and fell backwards, allowing Leena to yank out her sword with little difficulty. In the same movement it took to take the sword out of the now dead man she brought the hilt into the back of the head of the dart victim. Just because he was poisoned didn’t mean that he couldn’t kill her before he went out for good.

The fight was over in mere moments and Leena wanted to get at the other brigands before they noticed that their comrades weren’t returning right away. Gathering up a dagger and all the darts that she could find on the corpses, she turned to find her next opponent.

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 05-30-2003, 02:45 PM   #80
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Gita emerged from her tent, fully clothed in the usual wear of those of the Swan House. Extremely pleased with her clever guise, she draped her black cloak over her shoulders and ran through the shadows on her way to the house.

Night covered her in its protective blanket, shielding her from unwanted eyes. The Laurel trees stood high above her path, perfect and pure in the moon’s beams. Gita cursed the moon in its fullness. It would not be good for the wild men tonight.

Finally she reached the house and discarded the cloak, leaving it behind a tree in some bushes. Adopting her most serene look, she floated into the house and down the corridor to the servant’s quarters. There she busied herself with some unimportant tasks until one of the elder servants called to her.

“Will you take these sheets up to the fourth bedroom from the right of the second staircase. They’ve been needing changing since this morning.” Gita nodded, not meeting the woman’s gaze and took the sheets in her outstretched arms. Excited now with an opportunity to find out who occupied which rooms, she hurried up the first staircase on purpose. She knocked on the first door and a nurse opened the door holding a two year old boy in her arms.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” said Gita. “Wrong room. Oh if you could, I’ve forgotten which room these belong.” She held up the pale green sheets for the woman to see.

“Oh I see. Yes, second corridor actually. These are mostly blue and purple sheets in these bedrooms. Are those for one of the new guests?”

“Guests?” asked Gita, hiding her interest.

“Yes. A group of warriors and of the kind have come to aid against the wild men should they attack again.”

“I see,” the spy mused, nodding her thanks to the nurse. The woman closed the door and Gita hurried to the correct room. She knocked and getting no answer opened the door. On the bed lay a traveler’s pack and beside it was a cloak. She was in the room of one of the ‘guests’. Carefully moving the pack and cloak from its place on the bed, she changed the sheets quickly.

When she was finished she carefully closed the door and began snooping around the room for any other clues. Finding none, she left the room and hurried through the halls, hiding from passer bys as she searched for where the warriors and Taralphiel were holding their meeting.

Finally, she reached a balcony room towards the back of the house. She hid behind a column and listened intently as they conversed.