Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #241
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Khōrbar had fought with the second wave of attackers. He hoped that the weakness he thought he felt in Shelob was truly growing weakness.

"Elentari! STOP!"

Khōrbar spun around and looked at the woman. Khōrbar always knew that there was something different about Elentari. Now he could clearly see that she was certainly powerful. What was she doing? And why were the others so afraid of her using her power.

Out of caution, Khōrbar backed up to the entrance of Shelob's chamber. He felt that, whatever Elentari was doing with her power, he did not want to be in the way of it. He saw the girl's concentration. Khōrbar wanted to stop that look...wanted to stop it...the wave of energy was so strong that even Khōrbar, a non-magus, felt it. However, Khōrbar knew that interfering with Elentari, even touching her, could lead to further danger than they were already in.

No, Khōrbar decided, he was forced to stay back in the shadows. He had just exited the shadows, now being forced back into them. Khōrbar then realized how helpless he actually was in the world as he watched Elentari using what was left of her power to what end he did not as of yet know...
Old 03-03-2003, 01:36 PM   #242
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bragolhirwen rushed forward as part of the first wave of attackers, randomly swinging her blade at an already confused Shelob in order to keep the advancing creature away from her. With every blow of the heavy broadsword she felt her energy weaken, fading away into nothingness with every slowly-passing second. With a last battle cry and throwing all her weight into the blow, she managed to hit Shelob's side. The enraged spider flew at her, on a collision course with the Gondorian.

The spider's blow flung the half-Elf to the ground like she was a child's unwanted toy. She heard a sickening crunch that seemed to echo through the monstrous caverns for the rest of time as she hit the floor. Her head span with the shock of impact, and she could not feel her legs. In the distance she heard people yelling, shouting her true name. There was the sound of running feet as Elentari came towards her, trying to save her.

"No..." she whispered, in a voice that was barely audible. "Go. Save...yourself. It's...right...I...shouldn't be...alive...I cheated...my...death...before." She paused, feeling all her energy drain away, and then spoke, her words seeming to disappear before they came forth from her mouth. "I'm...not going...to let...fate...fail...again..." She saw the spider looming over her, and then as she fell into an eternal darkness she could feel some kind of great power growing about her. Her final though before she slipped into true unconsciousness was of the knowledge that her short yet turbulent life seemed to be finally over.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #243
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hreeza saw the elf fall and heard her last, defeatist words.

"Not a chance, O elven child!" She yelled, diving down. She had to stop this. Forcing herself tight up, trying to make herself tangible, she pushed against Bragolhirwen, slowly getting her out of the way.

Looking back she saw Elentari had started chanting...but now Arawil was there as well. The power was flowing around, and there was nothing Hreeza could do. No wait...she felt something stir inside her that she had not felt for a long time. The power of all creatures as ancient as the mountains and the forests...
Old 03-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #244
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elentari could fell the power pulsating around her body. Her staff and outline glowed brightly now. Bitterness inside was growing, growing to a point of true hatred towards Shelob. Elentari felt more power surround her as Arawil joined her. Together they were unstoppable. Shelob had no chance, or did she?

Shelob was pushed back against a wall by the sheer force of the energy gathering. But now she too started to glow. Elentari and Arawil did not see this - they now had their eyes closed as they chanted a spell of destruction. However, Hreeza saw the spider's own spell being cast and was filled with new strength. She flew towards the two heroines and floated between their shoulders.

"Hreeza, stay out of this," thought Elentari to Hreeza.

"No. I will not let you and Arawil do this alone. We three have the power to defeat her. She is casting her own spell."

Elentari opened her eyes for a moment. Shelob was glowing purple and seemed a lot bigger than before. Elentari stood up. Still chanting her original spell she turned around to face the others. They all had pure fear in their eyes; they were afraid of both Shelob and the elf-witch.

"Do not fear me," she thought to them. Elentari pointed her staff at one sidewall, then the other. A bright and powerful diamond protection spell was cast around them. Elentari had to lean on her staff for a moment, but continued her chant. If she stopped now the spell would fail. She turned back around to face Shelob.

The three brave heroines now stood facing Shelob with their eyes open, chanting the spell in perfect sync. They were as one now, Elentari leading the spell. As Elentari held her staff out in front of her Arawil and Hreeza held on to it.

It seemed strange to Hreeza. For the first time she held something in her grasp. How could this be? She did not have visible form.

Elentari stopped chanting, but Hreeza and Arawil kept going. "Hreeza," said Elentari in a voice that sounded unlike her own. "For this you will need the form unnatural to wind sprites. On behalf of the company I grant you your hearts desire." A mark appeared on Elentari's forehead, which ten seemed to float across to Arawil's then on to Hreeza, where it glowed brightly.

Hreeza felt things more clearly now. She felt the woods texture; felt Elentari's power as well as Arawil's. The sprite turned around and saw the others staring at her, open mouthed.

Elentari looked at Hreeza and smiled. There in front of her stood a young woman with long silvery hair. "Now on with the spell. We must continue it before Shelob finishes hers."
Old 03-03-2003, 04:33 PM   #245
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lorin saw Hreeza leave Bragolhirwen so she grabbed her and dragged her away, the further away from Shelob, the better. Bragolhirwen was still breathing at least, but she would only survive if she had the will to, Lorin started trying to wake her there and then, shaking her and calling her names, true and untrue, but still she lay unconsious.

Lorin suddenly heard inside her head 'Do not fear me', she looked up startled, then over towards Elentari who was casting her spell, along with Arawil and now Hreeza. Her jaw dropped and for a moment she forgot all about Bragolhirwen's and her own injuries and why they were there and the horror which towred before them, and was only amazed at the power which was eminating from these three people, people she had been travelling with and knew. In that moment, she noticed something happen to Hreeza, she became more than just a flicker of light to the half-elf's eyes and became more and more, well, solid. Her eyes opened wide and she thoughtlessly ran her stump across her brow, bringing her painfully back to the situation they were in and more to the point, that Bragolhirwen was in. Healing was what she was good at and that was what she would do, Shelob was now in other, more capable hands.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 PM   #246
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Hreeza felt her spirit seeming to come on, but not in a bad way. And suddenly she needed to come down the ground. She felt herself suddenly seem to seperate, to become isolated from eveything...

As the sensation left, Hreeza slowly opened her eyes...eyes! She had eyes! Hardly daring to believe it she looked down, stretching out what would be a few tendrils of air...and saw her arm. She looked at her knew body. Her silver hair flowed down, shimmering like it wasnt quite real, like fine silver and gold and bronze, shimmering with all the colours of the wind. Her skin was pale, and her body slim. She was beautiful and...she was solid! Despite the moment, she laughed. Her silvery laugh remained, but had a different edge on it.

"I am corporeal! And...oh!" She realised the males in the company were looking away, embarrassed. She laughed again and, still in possession of her spritely powers, she spread a garment of woven silver air around her new body. "Better now?"

But she hadnt forgotten the task in hand. She delighted in rolling up her sleeves in a business like manner and turned to Shelob, almost cowering away from the three. Her happiness had made her stronger, and Hreeza began to summon the power of Air into a ball between her fingers, a ball of solid power. Arawils spell was confusing the spider, and Elentaris was reaching its peak.

"One...two...THREE!" Hreeza yelled, and cast her ball of power at the spider, at the same time as Elentari thrust her staff at it...

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 03-05-2003, 03:52 PM   #247
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari trust her staff toward Shelob. She felt energy flowing down her arm to the tip of her staff. Shelob was too confused to retaliate, for now, and Elentari hit the great beast in its belly. Shelob screamed, the attack form Elentari had cleared her thoughts. The spider finished her spell, but attacked Arawil, the Spider killer.

Elentari and Hreeza could do nothing. Shelob's own powerful spell cut straight through Arawil's heart, killing her nearly instantly. The Maia's life was over, but it had not been in vain.

Elentari was filled with new strength from a strange calm-rage filled her. She did not even bother to chant a proper spell. With a war cry, Elentari ran at Shelob, wielding her staff and releasing her energy right into Shelob's wound. It seemed nearly an age to Elentari before the spider started to weaken. Foul spider-blood covered Elentari as she stood under Shelob. Elentari fell to her knees as the energy drained from her.

Shelob screamed with rage. Only once before had see bee attack on her belly. That stupid hobbit had got away too. Shelob tried to hit Elentari; tried to stop the pain. She couldn't reach far enough under herself. She could not stop the elf-witches power killing her.

Elentari's vision started to blacken. "No," she thought. "I must not give up now, for Arawil's sake." Elentari screamed as she let the rest of her power flow from her staff into Shelob. Blackness took Elentari.

~~~~~~~~

Elentari woke up, aching all over. She looked up to see a very concerned Hreeza watching her.

"Elentari, you're alright!" said Hreeza joyfully.

Elentari sat up, pain racing through her veins. She saw Shelob's carcass in a pool of stagnant blood. Arawil lay not too far away from Elentari. The Maia's eyes were closed and her arms crossed on her chest.

"Could you possibly get rid of this diamond protection spell?" shouted Khōrbar impatiently. "We've been stuck in it for hours.

"Oh, sorry," said Elentari. She cried as she saw the injuries of those around her. Killing Shelob didn't seem worth the lives of two companions. Elentari would have saved them if she could have, but now they couldn't be saved. Elentari only hoped they were happy in Valinor now. "Lorin, how is your arm?"

"It's ok," lied Lorin, wincing as she said it.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #248
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Khōrbar sighed with relief as they were let out of the protection spell. He had been worried that fouler creatures would come now that Shelob had perished.

He quickly hurried out of the corridor, leading the group out of the cave. They exited and looked around. It was light out, and they all flinched, as they were no longer used to such brightness. Khōrbar breathed deeply, once again feeling air that was not stale and burning with evil. He forgot the danger that was around them and just smiled at the beauty of the world.

The others cautiously noticed Khōrbar smiling foolishly, and gave him strange looks, but Khōrbar did not care. He had a chance now. He was not forever trapped in the gloom of that cave, as so many had been, their bodies' last feeling being that of the cave, sadly.

Khōrbar let the others lament for their companions, thinking about how good it felt to be alive...
Old 03-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #249
Airerūthiel
Wight

Sting

Bragolhirwen knew she had to fight her injuries, but something deep inside her was unwilling to do so. The one thing that had held her together during her lonely childhood in Middle-earth was her unshakeable belief in fate. Her life belonged to the world beyond this one now, as it had for the past five years. In the back of her mind she could faintly hear Lorin's voice calling her names, and she knew what she had to do.

The girl managed to break the misty haze of her vision and slowly opened her eyes to see the worried-looking half-Elven healer kneeling beside her. "Are you all right?" asked Lorin, who Bragolhirwen suspected would have reached out to hug her if she still had bother her arms. "We have been afraid for you, young Gondorian. Any who can survive combat with Shelob is truly blessed. Some may even call you a hero, for going and attacking without any thought for your own safety."

Bragolhirwen shook her head. "They are mistaken. I am no hero - 'tis you and those others who rescued me from the spider who deserve that title. I am nothing but a headstrong little child trying to act like an adult. I still feel as though this is the third time fate failed to claim its prize, but I shall try and go on. But as to what happens to me once we escape these tunnels...that is another matter. Until the end of my days, I will always hold true to my belief that it was my life, and not Eruwen's, that should have been taken in those chambers."
Old 03-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #250
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lorin was quite amazed at Bragolhirwen's ability to look constantly at the bad side of life. All the same, she was cheery as was possible in this dark, dank, evil place and was just as happy to leave it as Khōrbar seemed to be. They slowly descended the stairs, the stronger helping the weak. They emmerged at the bottom to find that not all of their horses had run off. The more loyal had stayed and watched the entrance of the stairs, waiting patiently for their masters and friends to return. To Lorin, the land seemed less dark than when they first arrived and her spirit soared at the prospect of seeing Min again. They all sat and ate a little, as much as they could spare until they were out of these lifeless lands and were able to hunt for themselves again. After their food, they mounted and set off again, rushing to get out of Mordor and away from that land forever.

Hreeza was very pleased with her new body, as was everyone else, Lorin not the least, finally being able to see her properly. Once out side of Mordor, the pace slowed and the companions talked among themselves and remembered those that had not been as lucky as them and had not made it out.

A month went by and at last they were within sight of Mirkwood. Lorin couldn't help herself, she could feel Brilthonien's excitement beneath her at travelling in well known lands again. Lorin kicked Brilthonien's sides, not that she needed much encouragement, and they went speeding off together, towards their home. The wind through Lorin's hair refreshed her no end, the smell and feel of it were familiar, like no other she'd ever known. She stopped and turned, watching and waiting for the others to catch up, Brilthonien reared, eager to get going again but Lorin just patted her and whispered in her ear "Don't worry, we'll be there soon, then you can run and prance and rear all you want."
Old 03-08-2003, 03:59 AM   #251
Airerūthiel
Wight

Sting

Although Bragolhirwen cursed herself for her negative outlook, there was something about her return to Mirkwood that felt as though she had come home, in a sense. This was her mother's country, the true home of Airerūthiel. She felt strangely calm as the group came through the woods. Sérė had waited for her, loyal as he was to the young Gondorian, and for that she was grateful.

In a way, her experiences in Mordor had made her look on life differently. She knew that she could not change what had happened, and she still regretted her actions as to foolishly risking her life so many times in order to prove herself to the group. But she had grown in maturity - she accepted who she was, and she could now truly call herself a warrior. The old warg-wound and the bruises inflicted by the spider would be her burden the rest of her days; the injury inflicted by the wolves may never truly heal, but she was willing to bear it without complaint.

She was not so headstrong any more, nor so negative; her feelings of regret and guilt had disappeared when she revealed who she truly was. The world was new again, ready to start afresh after the turmoil of the War of the Ring, and she could only hope that the rest of her days might be better than her younger life. No longer did revenge cloud her senses; rather, she was grateful for the legacy her parents had left her. Although she knew not where her life-path was to take her, she was willing to follow it without her fears crushing her true spirit and with an open heart and a modest valour.

A memory of earlier times came back to her, and she smiled to herself as it was relived inside her head. When she had been a small girl, her mother had brought her back to the woodland realm, and she had been left alone briefly while she danced and sang by the river bank. One of the young wood-Elves was walking in the area at the time, and she remembered him calling her Airerūthiel. But she had just shaken her head and smiled. Her words echoed in her head as loud as thunder as she whispered them into Sérė's ear:

"I am Bragolhirwen, daughter of Pennrod, child of Gondor and of Mirkwood."

At this moment, she realised there was something she wanted to add to that statement. Taking a deep breath, she almost shouted out, "I am my own person. I am a proven warrior. And I am no longer a child!"

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]
Old 03-08-2003, 05:58 AM   #252
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari smiled. At last Bragolhirwen had realised her true worth. But now Elentari became nervous. She could see the gates of Mirkwood Palace drawing ever closer.

"Hreeza," said Elentari. "Do you think they'll accept me into Mirkwood this time?"

"I'm sure they will Elentari. You were the one who finished off Shelob. I will make sure King Thranduil knows of your courage and bravery."

"Thank you Hreeza." Although it was more than a month after the defeat of Shelob, Elentari could still feel the affects of using her power so much.

"Halt, who goes there?" shouted a guard.

"Wait, let them in," said a familiar voice. The gates opened and Min appeared from inside. "Lorin! Hreeza! You're back!"

~~~~~~~~

Elentari waited patiently outside King Thranduil's throne room. Hreeza was talking to him. The king respected the Sprite, though it took him a long time to believe a sprite could have corporeal form.

"Elentari," said Hreeza. "The king would like to speak with you." Hreeza led Elentari into the large, beautifully decorated throne room.

"So," said the king slowly. "You are the one who finally defeated Shelob. I remember your face, and Hreeza tells me that I have once before cast you out of Mirkwood. The title elf-witch does lead to people thinking you are evil, Elentari. But you have shown great courage and wisdom. You even gave a sprite corporeal form."

"Yes, your majesty. But I did that on behalf of the group. And I couldn't have defeated Shelob without Hreeza and Arawil."

"You are modest too. Elentari, without Arawil, there is no protection against spiders, for not all were killed by the Maia. Would you do Mirkwood the honour of taking up Arawil's role of spider slayer?"

Elentari, who had previously been looking at the floor, looked up at the king. His face was deadly serious. What could Elentari say but "Yes. I will do what Arawil can no longer do. It is my fault she is gone, so I owe it to you, to all of Mirkwood."

~~~~~~~~

Later that day Elentari met up with her companions. They were all enjoying the comforts of the palace, and Lorin and Min were getting on very well. Hreeza was trying to avoid all the elves that wanted a look at a corporeal wind sprite.

Elentari smiled at Bragolhirwen as the half-elf asked her what the king had said. "I am to live here, and be the spider slayer, as Arawil once was."
Old 03-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #253
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Hreeza walked with the rest of the group, and all the time she couldnt stop thinking that, yes, she was walking! The robe of woven silver air she had created felt good against her new skin, her legs, her body, her arms.... She sighed happily and breathed the sweet, clean air, and smiled. They had buried those who had fallen some way from the cave, and had been travelling on foot for the few hours since, as Hreeza didnt have a horse like the rest of them. She had insisted she could quite easily change back to her elemental form, but the other could see how happy she was, and how much it meant to her to be like this, and so they all walked. Besides, it was a relief to be able to see her, rather than having the feeling you could be facing entirely the wrong direction and talking to thin air.

Hreeza felt eyes on her and turned her head to look at Soronūmė, her liquid gold eyes meeting his deep brown ones. He blushed slightly, but didnt look away.

"Pardon me lady, its just I didnt know...I thought....Ive never seen a sprite become..." He stammered, searching for a word.

"Real?" Hreeza supplied, raising an eyebrow, but smiling as she did so. The elf smiled back and laughed slightly, almost nervously.

"I wasnt going to say that, lady."

Hreeza waved a hand, swatting any tension away with her long fingers. "It does not matter, O Elf. I am not used to this form myself." They fell into step together, and Hreeza chewed her lip nervously, trying to build up the courage to say the words forming in her mind. "But maybe...maybe we can be not used to it together?" She winced slightly and gave a small laugh. "That sounded alot better in my head."

The elf smiled and laughed also, more easily now. He nodded. "Aye. I think I would like that, yes."

~~~~~~~~~~

They made a few stops on the way to Mirkwood, including Gondor, but the companions had stayed together, not split of to go to their own homes. Mirkwood was where they had met, after all. As Hreeza stepped into her home forest, she felt all the feelings and sensations seep into her mind, the same as if she was in her corporeal form, and breathed a sigh of happiness and relief. Elentari wanted to stop here, to go her own way, but Hreeza peruaded her to come to the palace with her.

"I want all to know of your worth, O Spider slayer." Elentari had blushed as Hreeza said this.

Hreeza went into the kings throne room, and many in there gasped to see such a strange, yet weirdly beautiful woman. She was still barefoot, but her feet remained as clean as ever, and she still wore her robe of spun air. The king looked around in the air near her as she entered, and for a moment she was worried he wouldnt believe her to be herself.

"It is I, O Elf-King. Hreeza." She said, and inclined her head to him. His eyes slowly came to rest on her and he looked her over incredulously. His mouth opened and closed a few times and Hreeza smiled to see the mighty king lost for words. "I was made corporeal by she who slew the spider."

"She who....made corporeal..." Thranduil stammered, then inclined his head back, remembering his manners, and stood. He walked slowly up to her and Hreeza held out a hand, as she had seen courtiers do so. The king took it and kissed it, then his eyes returned to her face and he looked into her liquid gold eyes. His eyes widened.

"So it is true. You are the Sprite Hreeza."

"Indeed, O Thranduil. And my companions and I bear very good news."

"The spider....Shelob is....?"

"Yes, O King. Shelob is dead."

His eyes widened again and the courtiers around the room began to murmer. Then his face broke into a smile. "Send in the one who slew the spawn of Ungoliant."

Hreeza let Elentari in, and could feel how nervous the witch was, in the room where she had stood long ago, when she was exiled, but she stood tall. Thranduil surprised everyone though, as he walked forwards and embraced her, tears of gratitude in his eyes. Hreeza smiled and let herself out as the courtiers burst into a round of applause.

~~~~

The group half reclined in the sun on one of the large, elegantly carved balconies of the palace. They had heard Elentari's news and all were happy. Bragolhirwen had agreed not to conceal her identity any more, to live without that constant fear making her hide her true self. All wounds had healed, including Lorins arm, and Hreeza was glad to see her hand holding Mins. All were, for the first time in a long time, happy and trouble free.

They had been invited to stay at the palace for a while. Hreeza would return after a few weeks into the forest to once again become part of it, to walk between the arches of the trees and feel the soft earth beneath her feet, let herself float to the tops of the trees and feel the warmth of the sun over the forest, walk and bathe in the streams with the elementals of an element almost as free as hers....and let herself sometimes float apart, back to that blessed state in which she was created, the form of a sprite, and feel everything all together, in the freest element of all.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:33 PM   #254
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Having suffered so much over the last year, Soronūmė was at last content in the company of those who he had journeyed with. His heart was still heavy however with the loss of those members who had parted on the way, though their lives not in vain.

The company sat parted in the halls of the palace. Elentari, proud of her new title, had left them for a while, "important business to attend to" she had joked leaving them, obviously more comfortable with her power now. Lorin and Min sat quietly talking and Hreeza walked about the rooms. She seemed to be enjoying her 'walks', though Soronūmė knew she could not wait to become her old self again and roam her forest home.

Soronūmė sat at one of the balconies, looking deep into the forest. His thoughts seemed to flow from his mind and travel through the trees below. He couldn't help but wonder where else in these lands held adventure for him. Where there were others to befriend and journey with. Though he had truly enjoyed his time with them, Soronūmė could not help thinking it was time to part thier company. Hreeza would understand, she longed for her home just as the elf did his. Wherever he would find it next. He sighed and took a deep breath.

The newly 'formed' sprite approached the elf from behind, and placed a hand on Soronūmė's shoulder. Without turning to her he said, "You always know when someone is in need do you not Hreeza?" "Indeed Soronūmė, and you always know when I am there." she replied as the two exchanged a smile. They stood for a while in silence until Hreeza spoke softly, "you fought well against Shelob Soronūmė, you did all you could to help save your friends, taking up on a journey without so much purpose as those others. Yet still you seem restless, can you not yet find peace? Had you not discovered anything about your self on the journey that can put you at some kind of ease?"

Soronūmė pondered the thought for a moment, then replied, "Not until I know who I truly am can I be at peace. There are so many things I have yet to learn, and out there lie the answers" Soronūmė gestured out beyond the horizon. Hreeza could see she could say or do nothing more than agree, and with a peaceful nod, she then turned away leaving her friend and went back into the room.

Salixrana, Soronūmė's horse could be seen not so far from the King's halls. The elf looked down upon his friend, the quietly began to sing...

Walking paths seldom trodden
Wandering forests unknown by man,
Telling tales of myths forgotten
Strength in both mind and hand.

Living a life of solitude
Travelling by the day and dark,
A bright light shone from within
But lonely forever in his heart.

Cursed not with weary feet
Only with a lasting hope,
Navigating by the stars
His intuition led him home.