The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

destruction of public property? No, I prefer to call it "beautification."

I like the word there, Encaitare. Very nice
Old 08-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Alright for you Ill refrain from using wings they would be hard any way
Morsul, maybe you should try making them from "shadow and flame" in only a rough shape suggestive of wings! That way you could satisfy both the "has" and "has not" contingent of Balrog theorists!
I have realized just how difficult making hobbit pants is, but that is probably because I am out of practice with sewing. I went in vain search for rust colored velvet fabric (this is unfindable here!) and settled on red with some brown dye. Hope it works! While I was waiting for the person in front of me to have 6 bolts of fabric cut out in tiny strips for quiltmaking, I saw this year's run of Simplicity costume patterns, including the Jack Sparrow and an obvious Arwen riding dress. My husband is going to be Jack Sparrow for Dragoncon in September, but we've managed to put his costume together out of virtually nothing! An old shirt, black pants, a ripped up long vest from Goodwill, some colorful fabrics from various yard sales, and a really bizarre looking handbag (it has FRINGE!). I hope to have pictures, but, more importantly, I hope to be able to finish my costumes in time! If anyone is interested in the mad confluence of costumed freaks in Atlanta, Georgia, here is the site: http://www.dragoncon.org and the more relevant Tolkien Track at the One Ring: http://www.theonering.net/events/dragoncon/
I hope to see some other Barrowdowners there in really cool costumes!
Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. I'll be on the lookout for those White Tree T-shirts! I'm almost positive I'll see some there!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I had a mad whim and I've set out to see if I can make my own cloak, just for the challenge. I'm beginning with some cheap black fabric, and if it works I might go on to make a woollen one, although I don't use the sewing machine as trying to thread it makes me swear. In John Lewis (UK) you can buy some crazy patterns; I selected one for cloaks and robes (it also includes one for a Gandalf hat) from the Simplicity range, but you can also get a wide variety of medieval style dress patterns which look quite simple, and Butterick also do a lot of good ones - it's worth a look. I also went into a sari shop and saw some beautiful fabrics, which might make stunning dresses.

I did also see some sewing patterns for dragon costumes for dogs?!
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lyta-- Conventions rock! I'm going to a Renaissance Faire in a couple of weeks, and I have every intention of dressing up. My boyfriend says he will too, so huzzah! On Halloween a girl at my school dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow also; she had a wig, the bandana, beads in her hair, even the coat. I didn't even know her but I went up to her and congratulated her on her awesome costume making. Okay... this is going OT. Time to stop.

Lalwende-- Hmm... I think the only fabric-selling store near me is Wal-Mart, so I don't know how great the selection will be, but perchance I shall scour the area for nice patterns. Threading the stupid sewing machine is terrible, though. I can never remember how to do it.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I've already made one Elvish dress. I used Simplicity pattern 9891 (the one with the really drapey sleeves). Just be careful with that one...the sleeve faric rips really easily. I am also makig another dress (pattern 9450, I believe) from Simplicity. It looks a little like one of Arwen's dresses.

I am also trying to sew and ebmbroider a purse. All this has amounted to is me repeatedly jabbing myself with the needle while trying to sew a leaf desig.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

At one of our schools dances, it was a movie night thing. Everyone was dressed in Tuxs (Producers <_< ) but I dressed up as a hobbit. It's simple. I took a green fleece of mine, and folded it so it looked like an elvish cloak, then, with the elvish broach i bought, i cliped it on. Then, I got my one ring from a bookmark, and a ring chain, and woar the ring. I also had a string sword, so i brought that And the best part: I cut up a brown afro of mine, and taped it to my shoes, giving the effect of furry feet!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I was at Wal-mart just recently buying fabric and I stumbled upon a pattern with potential for a Hobbit costume... for only $1.74! Needless to say I bought it, and with a few color modifications it could make a nice Hobbit lassie costume. The pattern can be found on simplicity.com; #8855. There are two different dresses you can make... I would choose Dress A for a Hobbit lass costume. As far as modifying the colours, I'd choose a bright colour for the skirt (green, blue, etc.), a darker shade of the same colour for the vest, and the blouse could remain white or you could make it the same colour as the skirt. The hat I would discard, and the shawl could or could not be made, depending on personal preference of the maker.

I'm anxious to be making my Hobbit lassie costume, but I need to find time to run down to Wal-mart, and aside from that the pattern does take up quite a little bit of fabric. Nevertheless...

I made an Elvish costume once, as well, but I didn't devote very much energy to this and I just went by a thrift store, picked up a dress that was very Elvish-looking save the puffed sleeves, and when I got home I replaced the sleeves. The fabric was a lovely green, which seemed appropriate for an Elf, and while the costume turned out all right I fear it looked more like the green dress Eowyn at one point wears in the film in oppose to the Elvish outfit I wanted!

Alas, I never had the courage to go to one of the films dressed up.