The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Flying Legolas

Anyone notice that part when the Mark are riding down on the Warg-riding-Orcs, and Legolas grabs a hold of that horse's bridle and swings onto the back of the horse? At first, I thought, "Whoah, what the heck?" then I thought it was pretty cool and thought that they probably did that to reinforce the gracefulness of the elves. I know some people thought it was stupid. What do you all think?
Old 01-18-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Silmaril

I thought it was kinda cool..and am thinking about trying something like that myself (after I have lost some kilos *grin) since I do have a horse to play around with...<BR>Leggsie is more than enough graceful for an elf I think.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Be sure to have that videotaped...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Oh, I noticed all right. <I>*Several winks and nods to the Entish Bow crew*</I>.<P>I thought they went a bit overboard on that shot. It was like he was defying gravity. I'd rather they had him do a cool mount that still looked possible, instead of something that was so obviously CG that I just ended up going, "Waaait just a gosh darn minute. What was that?"<P>Also, it looked like he would surely have been trampled by the horse if it was real. I'm all for eye-popping moves, but let's not defy all common sense. Sheesh.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

- 1st viewing - Whoah! was that what I think it was? I liked it. <P>- 2nd viewing - Still a nice original stunt, but it "stuck out" like his comment "A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." Strange to compare the two (a line and an action) but I think it fits. <P>- 3rd viewing - It looked like his legs should have been trampled! And I thought it was wierd that no one around him even took notice of this maneuver, they just kept looking ahead (cause he wasn't there to BE noticed during the filming, being added later and all). Very unbelievable (Even for the dextrous son of Thranduil).
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Did not impress me much, but I did not mind it terribly, though I kind of thought it was a waste of time.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought it was ridiculous. Looked so fake I really saw no purpose in it. They already went overboard on Legolas's bow skill in my mind.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #8
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that they went a little overboard with him kinda flying backward over the horse. If he had swung under the neck it would have looked a little more realistic.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> so obviously CG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Exactly. I think the use and application of CG images in the movies is not very well thought-out in some cases. They could render everything perfectly, use a million hours of motion capture, or whatever, and this <B>still</B> wouldn't look realistic, because the action itself is not realistic.<P>I have been 50/50 about it both times I have seen it. I like that they're trying to show him as nimble, and I think it's a pretty cool idea, but they just don't pull it off well enough. There's many, many trick riders out there who could jump onto the back of a moving horse. Why on earth did they make CGolas swing up around its chest? From general experience, that's just the kind of stupid trick that will go wrong and leave you bruised and embarrassed, lying on the ground.<P>Great idea, awful execution.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
VercingetoriX

Sting

I rather thought that the horse trick was a very impressive stunt to execute, but it looked very cg in the backround of all real characters. I guess they are trying to show how incredible elves are.<P>On a side note, I think that the movie went very overboard with legolas. At times I found myself wondering "Wait a second, is Aragorn or legolas the main char here?" The skateboard thing was...well not very necessary. Also, shouldnt any of the elves that came to helms deep with haldir make legolas look like a pre schooler?
Old 01-19-2003, 03:15 AM   #11
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought it was ridiculous. Looked so fake I really saw no purpose in it. They already went overboard on Legolas's bow skill in my mind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My exact words...

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:39 AM   #12
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1st watch - "Geesh! Anyone said computer?"<BR>2nd watch - "They should have made him jump up on the other side of the horse."<BR>3rd watch - Feeling a bit "embarrased" by looking at that scene. <BR>If it was actually possible - gravity and stuff - it would have looked better...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked it. I don't think it's out of character to what the elves are capable of physically. This is from LoTR - Book 2 - Chapter 6.<P><I>Haldir skillfully cast over the stream a coil of grey rope, and he caught it and bound the end about a tree near the bank. ... He made his end of the rope fast about another tree, and then ran lightly along it, over the river and back again, as if he were on a road.</I><P>To be able to run along a rope as if it were a road is a superhuman trick. Heck, if they can defy the laws of physics by walking on snow without leaving footprints, I can certainly except the horse mounting trick.<P>As for shield surfing bit, I was certainly rolling my eyes but I know I had a smile on my face, especially with the icing of having the shield kill one more orc after Legolas jumped off. I know purists hated it, but just that one moment didn't kill anything for me. I found it very much like when Aragorn and Frodo rode the broken piece of bridge in Moria. That was also ridiculous when you get down to it, but it worked for me.<P>H.C.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:21 AM   #14
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just found it amusing, because it was so improbable. The one other part that made me feel the same way was the scene where Gandalf is falling in Moria, and manages to <I>catch up</I> with his sword. Didn't James Bond manage to defy gravity like that once?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:54 PM   #15
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In Goldeneye Bond jumps off a clift after an airplane, catches up with it, and flys away.<P>I did see on some TV show a guy who jumped out of one plane and into another but they both had pilots, unlike the Bond thing.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #16
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Ring

If we're going to get into a conversation about defying the Laws of Physics, then Gandalf catching up to his falling sword and the Balrog should definetly be a big red flag right there. But this about Legolas <P>I read on another post that Orlando Bloom had a busted/bruised rib and he couldn't mount the horse properly. Thinking about that leads to the question, Well, why didn't they just show him catching up later if they didn't want him to mount the horse? And anyway, it's a plot conveniency, so don't stress it to much. They needed Legolas on the horse, they put Legolas on the horse. Nuff said
Old 01-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #17
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I <I>hated</I> that shot the first time I saw it. It was my biggest sore spot of the movie. I thought it wasn't possible, his arm should have broken (which my sister says would heal instantly...?), it was so fake, etc. The second time I saw it was on something like the fifth biggest screen in the US and it was <I>cool</I>. I do agree that they should have done something possible, and not CGed it, but it looks really awesome on the right screen. And I noticed that time that his arm is okay, cause he lets go in time.
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #18
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ai... I think PJ just wanted some cool stunts and lines, and since Legolas has the most non-defined character in<BR>the books, he lumped all the cool stunts and lines on poor Legolas. The 'red sun' line has also been met<BR>with a lot of criticism.
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #19
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am a person who doen't really care for the elves. To me their just another race of people. I'm more of a hobbit person.<P>Also, during the FotR movie Legolas didn't seem to have a promonint character. Every once and awhile he'd shout somthing.<P>So when I saw TTT I was in for a big suprise. For someone who has never really cared about Legolas I was really impressed by how he was protrayed. From his hoplessness in Helms Deep to his amazing stunts.<P>When I saw the hourse mounting stunt I never thought to question it. You must admit. Nomater how realilistic the story is it is still a fantacy. Therefore things that seem to defy the laws of our world are possible in Middle Earth. Plus Legolas is an elf and they are super beings.<P>I think you are taking this one scene too seriously. It was 3 seconds out of a three hour movie.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:29 PM   #20
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

one word-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 01-19-2003, 06:26 PM   #21
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had heard about the horse stunt before I saw the movie, but once I saw it, I really thought it was pretty cool. Fair enough, it was pretty unrealistic, but it was still an amazing shot! I mean, imagine if you could actually do that!!...but it's probably better that they made it look really difficult, otherwise there might be all these people out there trying to do this stunt that could end up with a lot of people getting hurt...yikes.<P>The skating on the shield made me smile, but I felt that was a little ridiculous.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:46 PM   #22
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They should have had a message at the bottom of the screen:<P>PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS INCREDITABLY UNBELIEVABLE STUNT AT HOME. THANK YOU.<P>
Old 01-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #23
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think that the movie went very overboard with legolas. At times I found myself wondering "Wait a second, is Aragorn or legolas the main char here?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Exactly. Aragorn has more purpose than Legolas.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:49 AM   #24
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>They should have had a message at the bottom of the screen:<BR>PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS INCREDITABLY UNBELIEVABLE STUNT AT HOME. THANK YOU.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hahaha...i like that one

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:21 AM   #25
Nibinlondwen
Pile O'Bones

Nibinlondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey, what are we picking on?<BR>I can see no reason to it. Ww have to accept that the film is not the book.<BR>there is worse things than legolas swinging on to a horse like tarzan in the jungle.<BR>i saw that kind of stunt three times once at a cirkus. Maybe Legolas had some thousand years of practise time.<BR>I dont know, its just a thought.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #26
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

LOTR_know-it-all55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LOTR_know-it-all55
Shield

Get over it! It's not supposed to be the focal point of the entire movie. If you hate it that much, close your eyes during that scene.