The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Mansun

The Eye The return of Sauron

Just a curious idea that struck me. Does anybody think there could be a sequel to the LOTR with the return of Sauron? Could he yet be resurrected, like Gandalf was? As Gandalf said, the shadow always takes shape again after a defeat, paving the way for an unlikely yet possible comback for either Melkor or Sauron perhaps?

The reason I bring this up is because I cannot see how ME would just go on being ruled in peace (after the fall of mordor) forever. Old nemesises either return, or new ones emerge. So how would ME be subject to a serious threat again?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gandalf answered this for us.

Quote:
Concerning this thing, my lords, you now
all know enough for the understanding of our plight, and of Sauron's. If he
regains it, your valour is vain, and his victory will be swift and complete: so
complete that none can foresee the end of it while this world lasts. If it is
destroyed, then he will fall; and his fall will be so low that none can foresee
his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was
native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power
will crumble, and he will be maimed for ever, becoming a mere spirit of malice
that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape. And so a
great evil of this world will be removed.

Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a
servant or emissary.
So no I don't see that Sauron will ever rise again. But other evils exist in Middle-earth that may arise what they are I do not know or speculate.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Mansun

The Eye

So what may be the new evils that could arise? A hidden shadow, like a Balrog of Morgoth perhaps? What about the lost secrets behind the making of the Rings of Power? That said, I can't see why Eru would send Saruman the traitor back!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
So what may be the new evils that could arise?
Have you read Histories of Middle-Earth? In Volume 12, I think, there is a kind of a sequel to LotR called The New Shadow. It is set in the 4th age and it tells about some evil men and orc admirers. Anyway, Tolkien ended up abandoning the idea of making a book about a new evil of which I'm quite glad.

Here's what Tolkien said about the story: "I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the downfall of Sauron, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace and justice and prosperity would become discontented and restless - while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors - like Denethor or worse. I found that even so there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow - but it would be just that. Not worth doing."

You can read The New Shadow here.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Probably not Sauron, but I've always been intrigued by the fate of the WK:

Quote:
'Eowyn! Eowyn!' cried Merry. Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her. The sword broke sparkling into many shards. The crown rolled away with a clang. Eowyn fell forward upon her fallen foe. But lo! the mantle and hauberk were empty. Shapeless they lay now on the ground, torn and tumbled; and a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up and was never heard again in that age of this world.
Should this be taken to mean that he was heard again in a later age?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Probably not Sauron, but I've always been intrigued by the fate of the WK:

I wouldn't say that it should be taken to mean that he will appear later on. I think it opens the possibility of a return though I don't agree that it would happen. I was under the impression that all the wraiths power was due to the ring and Sauron and with their destruction the wraiths were destroyed too. Perhaps they live still as servants of the shadow of Sauron but even a lesser shadown than he.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
The text may be referring to an appearance in the last battle, the Dagor Dagorath - if Morgoth gets to come back, then why not Sauron and subsequently why not the Witch-King?

Or it was referring to the PJ movies...not sure .