The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
"Horns, horns, horns. Rohan had come at last."
Old 08-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #42
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Well... I've never admitted this before, partly because I think no sane person would cry because of a book [see how mistaken I am]...

I cried when I first read Aldarion and Erendis in UT... I mean, Erendis loved Aldarion, but why was he soooooo numb? And then Aldarion, as he was named King of Numenor, said he had no wife but had a daughter... oooohhhhhh.... a lot of tears fell from me eyes.

Good thing there was no one who saw me cry, I was weeping like mad!!!!
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #43
Elrowen Tinúviel

Elrowen Tinúviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Tinúviel
I don't usually cry for either books or movies, but with Tolkien it is an exception...

I always cry when Boromir dies... and the Lament that follows, and when Gandalf falls.
I can't help but cry when Éomer thinks Éowyn to be dead.
When Faramir rides to Osgiliath and (in the movie) Pippin sings his song... the combination of the two... oh man........
At the end of Return of the King, at the Grey Havens... it's the passing of not only Frodo, Gandalf and Bilbo, but of the Elves as well.... and Elrond will ne'er see his daughter again... that breaks my heart.

In the movies, I cried at Aragorn's rousing speech at the Black Gate... don't know why, but that type of thing has always moved me... kind of like hearing the Star Spangled Banner blaring really loud. (yeah I'm American!)
Also when Gandalf calls Shadowfax and he comes onscreen for the first time... and the charge of the Rohirrim. (not from sorrow do those tears glisten in my eyes)

Certain parts of the Silmarillion also brought tears to my eyes.... namely when Glorfindel falls fighting the Balrog (Alas! 'Tis Glorfindel and the Balrog), when Finrod Felagund gave his life to save Beren's, when Huan died, and when Beren passed into the Halls of Mandos.

-Elrowen Tinúviel
Elrowen Tinúviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #44
brim
Pile O'Bones

brim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I cried when it was over. I enjoyed reading the books so much. How could something so good end? what a baby I am. I also cried when Faramir left to war.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #45
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I cried (both when reading the books and watching the movies) when Théoden and Boromir died, at the Grey Havens (seems almost everyine did there) and when Gandalf fell with the Balrog. I alway liked Gandalf the most out of all of them.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #46
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I never shed a tear seeing the movies, or reading the books, but I've gotten some pretty big lumps in my throat.
The Grey Havens gets me choaked up everytime I see it. Another part that got me choked up in the movies was when Gimli realized that his cousin Balin was dead(so sad).
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #47
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I never cry, but the Charge of the Rohirrim always sends chills up my spine. Just thinking about it makes me want to go kill Englishmen with a large sword. Tolkien was a genius. All those parts where we catch brief glimpses of Aragorn's kingliness and power also tend to make my eyes watery.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #48
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I never cry, but the Charge of the Rohirrim always sends chills up my spine. Just thinking about it makes me want to go kill Englishmen with a large sword. Tolkien was a genius. All those parts where we catch brief glimpses of Aragorn's kingliness and power also tend to make my eyes watery.
Kill Englishmen?

The first time I watched the E RotK, when Eomer found Eowyn on the Pelonnor fields started tears to my eyes quickest I've ever had it.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #49
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
When Theoden looks at the grave of his son in the movie and says that "no parent should bury their children" it's just too much to bear. As a father it moves me to tears everytime I see it. That's a too horrendous thought to even consider. I could never manage through that horror.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #50
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
When Theoden looks at the grave of his son in the movie and says that "no parent should bury their children" it's just too much to bear. As a father it moves me to tears everytime I see it. That's a too horrendous thought to even consider. I could never manage through that horror.
My Mom bore a live child who died two hours later. It is a very, very sad thought, and I'm rather glad I was not yet born to have to witness it or see her burial.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #51
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I also tear up at that scene, I think it's the first time that we see Gandalf not quite grasphing some of the horrors of being a human. There is one shot that make me think this during the scene, it's like Gandalf doesn't quite know what to say.

However he sort of clears it up when he does his 'far green country' speach. That also tears me up.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #52
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Oh yes, definitely the "far green country" scene. I had forgotten about that one.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #53
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Oh yes, definitely the "far green country" scene. I had forgotten about that one.
*blinks* You mean,

Quote:
"White shores ... And beyond . . . A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-Hey, wait a moment, that's not death, that's Valinor. Tough luck, mortal!"
That was the line that made me laugh.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #54
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
I cried when Smeagol died, because i always hoped he would have the chance to become himself again. I know, i am odd.

and i cried when i red the (german) foreword. I red it after i red the book and it says (translated) "by the time world war I was over all of Tolkiens close friends but one were dead". So sad.
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #55
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I make myself not cry (I am a little to proud...) but I think the scene that gets to me most is definitely the departure of Frodo, Gandalf, and company at the Grey Havens. That part is the saddest for me.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
It does not happen often to me, but when there is the possibility, I don't have anything against crying a little bit. And Tolkien definitely gives that possibility, as even this thread shows.

I believe no one has this far mentioned the scene that definitely made me cry. Maybe there were others, I'm not sure, but this one I remember: Thorin's death in the Hobbit. When Bilbo awakens, Gandalf greets him and is happy and then he leads him to Thorin. "Hail, Thorin! I have brought him." And then Thorin's speech. Oh my, I just now started to cry! I had to check the exact words, opened the book and look what happened! That settles it, I am not going to check anything else... *walks away, sobbing*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 AM   #57
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I believe no one has this far mentioned the scene that definitely made me cry. Maybe there were others, I'm not sure, but this one I remember: Thorin's death in the Hobbit. When Bilbo awakens, Gandalf greets him and is happy and then he leads him to Thorin. "Hail, Thorin! I have brought him." And then Thorin's speech. Oh my, I just now started to cry! I had to check the exact words, opened the book and look what happened! That settles it, I am not going to check anything else... *walks away, sobbing*
Ah! Legate! That's so sad.

Actually, yes, that part makes me cry nearly as much as Frodo's 'death' after Shelob. I had simply forgotten it. Pop and them laughed at me last time we read The Hobbit aloud because I was sitting over there crying.

-- Folwren
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #58
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I will get skewered for this one. I just know it.

There is one, and only one scene in the FOTR movie which I believe to be a distinct improvement over the book. In the book it makes me choke up, but in the movie it causes me to weep openly (much to the embarassment of my near seat-mates at the premiere!) -- the death of Boromir as portrayed by the estimable Sean Bean. The courage and valor of Boromir coming to the defense of Merry and Pippin, the score (or more) of uruks slain in their defense, all for naught...Aragorn handing him his sword so that he can make peace with Aragorn and do homage in salute to his sovereign before he dies...I tear up here at work just remembering the line "I would have followed you, my brother...my captain...my king!"

Bean deserved the Oscar for Best Actor for that one line alone.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #59
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I didn't cry, but I was definitely overcome with emotion at the Charge of the Rohirrim. It gets me every time. The love between Faramir and Eowyn was beautiful. But the Narn i Hin Hurin was when I got the most emotional. Finduilas got me the closest to crying any book has.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #60
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I basically cried the whole way through the Return of the King when I read the book... not as much in the movie though...
I had to cry during the chapter The Houses of Healing, when Merry, Eowyn and Faramir almost die, the whole Mt. Doom sequence with one of my most favourites, Samwise carries Frodo up the mountain and when Sam threw his pots away.
And of course, The Grey Havens... but I think that that would make many people cry.
In the movies I had to cry at the separation of Merry and Pippin and of course when Sam gives that beautiful speech at the end of TTT.
I'm a very sentimental person..so I just have to cry in many places in all three of the volumes.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #61
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Through much of the second half of the film RETURN OF THE KING. I lost count.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #62
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
There are many scenes and passages that are quite moving, but for me the top two are Merry saying Eowyn should not die alone, and risks everything to try and save her as he stabs the the Lord of the Nazgul, and breaks the spell that knit his sinews together. The second is when Faramir goes out AGAIN to face what most certainly will be a horrible, cruel death to try and please his father, a man who is nothing but cruel to him and everyone else.

Merry and Faramir always have been my two favorite characters in the entire books.

Merry
Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #63
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, Legate and Folwren, that one has always made me cry but just like Foley I just forgot about it. This is maybe a bit perverted, but I actually once read the scene just to make myself cry. (Okay, I also wanted to read it because it's such a beautiful scene, but...)

Another thing that always makes me cry - or very close to crying - is the last phrase of the Silmarillion:
Quote:
In the twilight of autumn it sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, and borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come to the Eldar of story and song.
It creates such a profound feeling of sadness and loss. Even though I must say that if possible, it sounds even more sad in Finnish. I think it might be because the last word of the English phrase is "song" but the Finnish one ends with poissa which means "away".
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #64
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Interesting you should mention that, Legate. That scene is the only one I can recall crying at– I don't just mean in Tolkien's work, I mean at all. I think it must have been the first story I had encountered where a major character dies (I was about five).
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #65
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lommy, I almost started crying while reading that on the screen. It's definitely one of the saddest and most beautiful phrases ever.

I'm not a sentimental person (at least I didn't use to be), but there are so many things that make me cry in Tolkien's works that I don't even remember them all. Some parts fill me with almost unbearable joy ("Rohan had come at last", "Thus came Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elessar, Isildur's heir, out of the Paths of the Dead, borne upon a wind from the Sea to the kingdom of Gondor..." etc.), some make me cry every time I read them. Many poems & songs, for example, and the endings of both the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion. I remember weeping uncontrollably for the last pages almost every time I've read them. They're just too beautiful.

Almost twenty years ago a Finnish theatre group recorded some songs from the Lord of the Rings, and a few years ago I borrowed the cd from Lommy. All of the singers don't sound very good (ie. don't resemble the "original" singers), but many of the songs themselves are quite beautiful. One night I listened to the song of the Ent and the Entwife on repeat probably ten times and cried all the time just because it was so sad.

However, there's still one no one has mentioned: The Leaf by Niggle. I cry every single time I read it (and admit doing something like Lommy: reading it just to make me cry). Last time I almost started crying in a bus, and that wouldn't have been too nice.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #66
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would have to say the scene when Faramir goes out to battle, and knows he is to die if his father is to ever love hi,. that made me choke up. Also of course the scene where Sam carries Frodo, I had tears in the eyes on this one. And of course the scene that did me in is when Aragorn says "You bow to noone" and everyone bows to the Hobbits, this one I lost it, could'nt hold back, river of tears.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #67
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Adding on to what I said before... I think that there is so many instances when I cry or at least tear up when I read those books or see the movies, but as Gandalf says not all tears are of evil, I do cry because it is a most glorious moment or because it is just a happy moment, I have cried when Sam woke up in the Houses of Healing.... even reading this thread, remembering things... just let me go off and cry now....................