The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
The Half-Elven Foundation-VII

Hi there Reader,

You are welcome to post here, on absolutely any "Half-Elven" topic, for a specific cross-integration of "Elfy-by-Half" discussion, with some ideas as follows:
  • Lifespan matters
  • Pereldar Not Commonly Named
  • Earendil and Pre-Post Valinorean Decrees
  • Half-Elven Blood Lines (e.g. Imrahil)
  • About Silmarien (personal favourite)
  • About Gilmith, Ivriniel, Elladan, Elrohir, Elros, Elrond, the Heirs of Elros (all), and anyone I've missed
  • Half-Elven Mythology in General & External to Tolkien as a 'juxtapositioning' idea

This thread, though, has three further variations making it a 'beyond just a discussion' focus.
1. I'm coming and going here, as I'm wading through the Thread Histories of this Forum, to post Summary URL data, on prior Half-Elfy matters.
2. It's also for interacting with regular posters, for on-topic emphasis, but with the addendum permitting some social exchange. E.g.

[PS]Hi there. Just back after two weeks, because Xmas rush. I'll be back on and off over the coming days to update the thread. Hope everyone's been well.

Please enjoy coming and going here from time to time, for this warmer 'hello' thingy[/PS]

3. The thread is -- unashamedly -- going to have a far higher number of Thread-Keeper Posts (at times, or at most times) than other posters' posts. There is to be a housekeeping reason for this, which will be about what I unearth in interesting posters' long-gone materials, that I hope to use to inspire participation. I may even go as far as PM'ing some long-lost people in hopes to have them return to keep us company.

As, such, it is also a 'meet n greet' Thread, and think of it as a 'Master of Ceremonies' kind of thread (visualise a wedding, here), and this is also what keeps the thread visible on the First Page of this Forum. I don't want a sticky. It's better to do it this way, as I've found it is more fun!

Also, please expect another or variation on this Thread, termed 'The Tale of the Years' which, like this thread, is really a 'meta-thread'. One can come to any meta-thread to grab really interesting valid ideas for a current thread of *any* kind, and in fact, use a meta-thread to ***invigorate*** any discussion with cross-linked URL.
Kind Regards
Stav
Old 12-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Summary Posts by URL Name

Alphabetically Listed

1.Aragorn and Arwen Are NOT RELATED
2. Arwen
3. Arwen could've gone to the Grey Havens?
4. Arwen's Mortality
5. Beren and Luthien to be Published
6. Celborn, Galdriel and Elrond
7. The Character Development of Arwen
8. The children of the king and queen
9. The Choices of the Peredhil, The Half Elven
10. Did Elladan and Elohir Die or go to Valinor
11. The Dilution of Elven Blood & Immortality
11. Dior
12. The Dior Dilemma
13. Dol Amroth
14. Earendil
15. Edain/Eldar marriages
16. Eldarion
17. Elrond's name
18. Elrond and Elros
19. Elrond Peradan
20. Elrond's big mistake?
21. Elros's Choice
22. Elven Blood in Faramir and Boromir
23. Elven genetics
24. Elven/Mortal marriages...
25. elves loving men
26. Eowyn Vs Arwen
27. Family trees: the peredhil
28. The Fates of Elros' and Elronds' Heirs
29. A fourth union of Elves and Men??
30. The Greatest of the Eldar
31. Gondor and Rivendell
32. Half-Elf Afterlife
33. Half-elven Lifespan
34. Head of the family? Earendil or Luthien? Dark or Golden?
35. The House of Finwe
36. Hope for Undomiel
37. How pointy were Elrond's ears?
38. Immortality and the sons of Elrond
39. Imrahil
40. King Elrond?
41. The Lady of Dol Amroth
42. Men and Elves
43. Mixed Blood
44. Only one lineage?
45. The Point of the Unions
46. Relationship Elves and Men
47. Rivendell Elves & Lothlorien Elves
48. Tuor the Elf?
49. TUOR SON OF HUOR
50. The ultimate fate of the half elves between Beren/Luthian and Earindel/Elwing
51. Was it mean by Elrond?
52. When they die, where do they go?
53. Why did Arwen do that??
54. Who buries Arwen?
55. Would the Half-Elven vanish if they wore an elven ring?

Chronologically Listed [Reverse Date Order]

1. The Dilution of Elven Blood & Immortality
2. Immortality and the sons of Elrond
3. The Fates of Elros' and Elronds' Heirs
4. Head of the family? Earendil or Luthien? Dark or Golden?
5. Would the Half-Elven vanish if they wore an elven ring?
6. Tuor the Elf?
7. Aragorn and Arwen Are NOT RELATED
8. Half-elven Lifespan
9. Mixed Blood
10. The Greatest of the Eldar
11. The Dior Dilemma
12. Arwen's Mortality
13. Elrond Peradan
14. When they die, where do they go?
15. How pointy were Elrond's ears?
16. The Point of the Unions
17. The ultimate fate of the half elves between Beren/Luthian and Earindel/Elwing
18. A fourth union of Elves and Men??
19. Why did Arwen do that??
20. Elven genetics
21. The Character Development of Arwen
22. The Lady of Dol Amroth
23. Eldarion
24. Half-Elf Afterlife
25. Elven/Mortal marriages...
26. Relationship Elves and Men
27. Who buries Arwen?
28. Elrond's big mistake?
29. The children of the king and queen
30. Arwen
31. Elven Blood in Faramir and Boromir
32. Did Elladan and Elohir Die or go to Valinor
33. Only one lineage?
34. Hope for Undomiel
35. Dol Amroth
36. Edain/Eldar marriages
37. King Elrond?
38. The Choices of the Peredhil, The Half Elven
39. elves loving men
40. TUOR SON OF HUOR
41. Arwen could've gone to the Grey Havens?
42. Elros's Choice
43. Gondor and Rivendell
44. Men and Elves
45. Was it mean by Elrond?
46. Eowyn Vs Arwen
47. Imrahil
48. Elrond's name
49. The House of Finwe
50. Dior
51. Rivendell Elves & Lothlorien Elves
52. Celborn, Galdriel and Elrond
53. Earendil
54. Family trees: the peredhil
55. Elrond and Elros
56. Beren and Luthien to be Published

Last edited by Ivriniel; 06-02-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Summary Posts by Feature or Theme

.....pending
Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Meta-Thread URL-Cross-Integration-Discussion Theme

What do we mean by 'Half?' Half As Powerful, by Half, or Half as Powerful Beyond By Half?

1. Maia as 'Half-or-Part Valar, but Half Again more Powerful than Elf and Half Elf'

Last edited by Ivriniel; 12-27-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Topic Inviting Commentary: Prince Imrahil

Prince Imrahil has some measure of Elven Blood.

This invites questions about whether or not The Line of the Prince's of Dol Amroth were every gifted with the Choice of the Peredhil.

Dol Amroth was south of Edhellond. There was a Elvish port at there, where Elves departed into the West, many of whom left from there during the War of Elves and Sauron SA. Galadriel spent some time there. It's an interesting part of the world. It seem's there was more than one union of Elves and Men there given how Elfy Imrahil was.

Does anyone know anything more about this?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think this was addressed in that thread: the Choice was given to Earendil, Elwing and their descendants, only.

Quote:
Manwë gave judgement, and he said: 'In this matter the power of doom is given to me. The peril that he ventured for love of the Two Kindreds shall not fall upon Eärendil, nor shall it fall upon Elwing his wife, who entered into peril for love of him; but they shall not walk again ever among Elves or Men in the Outer Lands. And this is my decree concerning them: to Eärendil and to Elwing, and to their sons, shall be given leave each to choose freely to which kindred their fates shall be joined, and under which kindred they shall be judged.'
Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I think this was addressed in that thread: the Choice was given to Earendil, Elwing and their descendants, only.
Thank you William.

I will bring the actual Silmarillion text, citing Mandos's literal words at some point here.

The questions about the Peredhil or Pereldar (another item or emphasis of discussion) raises at least three broad areas of inquiry.

1. The question of Doom, and 'what Doom' means for Mandos to Grant the Choice to another Peredhil, of however much Mortal blood (and -- I've deliberately worded it that way, because I'm not convinced that a quarter-blood, for example, should be denied Doom and Choice - see below).

2. The question of Grace and traverse to Valinor, (a separate point about accessing the Straight Road, and 'for Whom'). Interestingly, if Frodo, Bilbo and Gimli (presumably) are permitted traverse, then any being with any splash or no of Elven blood may traverse. However, the question raised is--is this Doom or Blood that is about the Straight Road. So, for example, is 'any old Peredhil' permitted (who, for example, chose the Edain). Could the Princes of Dol Amroth traverse? Did any of them (such as for example Gilmith traverse, who is Imrazor's and Mithrelas's other child?

3. The question, most high on my mind, is one about bloodline synergy. People most often assume that 'Half-Elven' means 'you didn't get all the Elven powers, body traits or Lorecraft'.

I do not accept this premise. A half-elf is the paradox of Both and Neither, which can be fathomed in many ways. Both and Neither is a synergy question to put to the Union (c.f. 'melding') of Blood. The question of capacities for a being of such mystical union, can be biological, mental, metaphysical (the 'Otherworld/Glorfindel' example at Flight to the Ford), or Spiritual in the more literal or symbolic sense.

These are all questions for discussion here and commentary, or items for new threads.

Thank you for posting, and please continue if you have something to say. The Foundation is not just a summary thread. It's to elicit and prompt new ways of conceiving of --ideas-- implied by Canon, sometimes by noting inconsistencies in it.

Kind Regards, and hope you have been well

Iv

Last edited by Ivriniel; 04-18-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mandos has no power to grant any Choice. It was only granted once, by Manwe, after communing with the mind of Eru.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Mandos has no power to grant any Choice. It was only granted once, by Manwe, after communing with the mind of Eru.
I'm sorry, I confused two concept, in my haste. Yes, of course it was Manwe who rules the Ainur, but I was focussing upon Mandos and the Halls of the Dead and his role in this. Mandos had a role in the outcome (as ruler of the houses of the Dead).

On this discussion item, two further points. The children of the Half Elven born after the Decree imply that Manwe did not 'waive a wand' once. The point I was making was that Gatekeeper (Mandos) and Decree (prior) hold over time.

The second point goes to interpretation of Canon about wording. At the time the Decree was made, there were no other Peredhil, and so the term subsumed all the living blended offspring.

The point goes to Doom, Grace, and precedent. There is no reason to conclude that (Manwe) through (Mandos) cannot or would not extend the Choice for another Union. Putting it another way: absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Thank you for the correction, though. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the other areas of discussion. Especially bloodline Unions and my sense that half casts and not half as powerful to each of their representative Race. The Peredhil, all were exceptional exemplars of *both* races. I don't belive lessening applies.

What do you think? Do you have any exceptional references that you can cite, or that are a good read?

Cheers
Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

5. Beren and Luthien to be Published

I hope it addresses the headache we have about the Peredhil and their Choice. I want to see something about the Elves at Edhellond where there was obvious significant intermingling
Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #11
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Great Post Link

The materials cite the alternate wording of the Decree of Manwe about the Pereldar

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...73&postcount=9