The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2002, 04:58 AM   #1
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Hidden Gollum

OK has anyone else noticed the shot of Gollum spying on the fellowship in the 1st LOTR film as they are riding down the anduin and go past the big white statues...well, on the eyelid of the left hand statue as they go past, loads of birds suddenly fly off and you can see a small, gollum-shaped creature crouching there. <BR>well, thats it.<BR>Bombariffic
Old 11-19-2002, 05:36 AM   #2
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Yeah i was looking for that. I heard about it and i was looking out for it in the Extended DVD. I didnt see it though. Does it appear in the Extended version? Or does it only appear in the normal one?

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:43 AM   #3
tom bombariffic
Wight

Sting

I'm not sure, Im afraid I dont have the DVD, and i saw it a while ago so I cant remember. But I can find out if you like. I think its just on the normal video, but Im not sure.<BR>Sorry!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:52 AM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw "something" on the eyelid of the Arganoth, but I assumed it was just the bird's nest. <P>I did just discover the "zoom" feature on my DVD player. I suppose I should zoom in and see if that really is suppose to be Gollum.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:01 AM   #5
tom bombariffic
Wight

Sting

That may be an Idea - I actually didnt notice it until someone told me about it. Please tell me what you see, Id be interested to know
Old 11-19-2002, 07:15 PM   #6
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As I have mentioned in a previous thread Gollum is not on the bird's nest itself..he's on another part of the eye..resting on the lower lid...nearby
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Wow, hadn't noticed that; will have to look out for it next time. Just out of curiosity; why would Gollum climb so high? It would be an awful lot of work and he could paddle along in the river much more comfortably.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:28 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just out of curiosity; why would Gollum climb so high? It would be an awful lot of work and he could paddle along in the river much more comfortably.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>'Cause it's cool.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:05 AM   #9
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will have to check that out sometime.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wow, hadn't noticed that; will have to look out for it next time. Just out of curiosity; why would Gollum climb so high? It would be an awful lot of work and he could paddle along in the river much more comfortably. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have an answer to that. In the book Gollum is seen following the fellowship and gets real close one night as they are laying on the shore and is almost caught by Aragorn. After which everyone is especially on the look out for him but he cannot be seen.<P>Tolkien expressly writes more than once I believe that if Gollum is still following them he was very "wary and cunning" <P>Well thats a pretty cunning take on why the fellowship didn't see him again because obviously he is still following.<P>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]<p>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:51 AM   #10
tom bombariffic
Wight

Tolkien

Yeah, and also from such a high point he could see a long way into the distance while hardly moving, then catch up with the fellowship at night, when he couldnt be seen, wheras if he had been in the river or at ground level, he would have had to keep moving so as not to lose sight of them, and would stand more chance of being seen.<P>It really makes you wonder what other things they put in that you havent noticed, dosent it?<P>Bombariffic
Old 11-20-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It really makes you wonder what other things they put in that you havent noticed, doesn't it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Very much so! That gives me something else to do now while I wait for the release of TTT! I'll look and see what else is hidden in the movie You know about the PJ cameo, right?<BR>Arwen
Old 11-20-2002, 03:41 PM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ya, PJ is the guy with the carrot.<BR>
Old 11-20-2002, 09:34 PM   #13
Peregrin Boffin
Pile O'Bones

Peregrin Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

After seeing the extended version I can't believe that Gollum is on the Argonath. It is clearly shown that he is behind the fellowship when following them down the Anduin.<P>Also, Gollum doesn't like sunlight. Wouldn't being on the Argonath would expose him to sunlight easier?
Peregrin Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:14 PM   #14
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

After reading this thread, I went back and looked a couple of times and still haven't seen gollum.<P>Could you be more specific? Which shot of the Argonath? Is it the same shot when the birds take off from the eyelid? Exactly where on the statue is he?<P>Thanks.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:58 AM   #15
tom bombariffic
Wight

Sting

Read Arwen Melian's comment...<P>As I have mentioned in a previous thread Gollum is not on the bird's nest itself..he's on another part of the eye..resting on the lower lid...nearby<P>I dont have a copy of the video or DVD but I have seen it...it is a tiny shot of him, and he is not behind the birds, he is on the lower lid
Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 PM   #16
Fool-of-a-Took
Pile O'Bones

Fool-of-a-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've zoomed in to x16 on my tv and there is no Gollum. Are you the same person who said there was a car in the distance?
Old 11-26-2002, 01:30 PM   #17
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe this is turning out to be one of those hidden movie urban legends never to be resolved, like the "Wizard of Oz Suicidel Midget" urban legend. Everyone has heard of it but after nearly half a century has never been proven.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:42 PM   #18
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That car in the distance... that could've been a car but as far as you could see on the DVD it's a ball of dust, it could be a very fast horse adn cart (That is, if you're talking about the 'this is the farthest I've ever been from home' scene)
Old 11-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #19
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> the "Wizard of Oz Suicidel Midget" urban legend. Everyone has heard of it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't heard of it... Does one of the munchkins jump off a roof or something?<BR>Anyway, I'll have to look for Gollum sometime. It seems pretty strange that some people see him on the Argonath but some people don't.... Hmmm....<p>[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:51 PM   #20
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Fool-of-a-Took says:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've zoomed in to x16 on my tv and there is no Gollum <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I tend to agree...I've looked more than once (with lots of frame-by-frame scrutinizing) and I don't see gollum on the Argonath.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:54 PM   #21
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

Gollum is the little black scrawny thing( but when you see him the area is kind of dark.) If not then maybe you guys should run away because we are seing things and we're crazy! (..sarcasm...) p.s. my pm is up and im ticked that they closed downs the love on the downs thread!Sigh....
Old 11-26-2002, 06:39 PM   #22
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

If it was in any of the footage, you would see it in the Extended Version, because all of the old mistakes are left in! In my VHS version, they took the car out of the background in the cornfield, but in the DVD, it's still there...all of those old mistakes are back in (which makes it quite amusing). So, if Smeagol was there, you would see it!
Old 11-26-2002, 06:41 PM   #23
Arwen Melian
Wight

Sting

Ok..it's official the rest of us are crazy!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:22 PM   #24
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

About the car in the cornfield, I have the Extended DVD and I still can't find it! What shot is it in, and where on the screen can I see it?
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:24 PM   #25
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe I saw him. And as to the car in the cornfield its not on the extended edition to my knowledge.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:34 PM   #26
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum is in the SE DVD, the normal DVD and even the cinema version of FotR. You have to watch carefully as it only shows him on the eye for a little bit, AND it is on the bit with the birds nest...even though the birds nest IS Gollum. The birds are scared by him and fly and that is when you actually see Gillum peer over the edge.<BR>And there is a car in the cinema version, it is not in the SE DVD or the normal DVD though, but you can see it in the national Geographic DVD that you get in the SE DVD box set. <BR>It is at the scene where Samwise says "...farthest away from" and it is not the dust that we are looking at. People get confused and say that is a chimminey, others say that it is a car leaving smoke. WRONG...IT IS A CHIMMINY.<BR>Look behind the smoke, up the top right hand corner (note..you can only see this on the National Geographic DVD). You will see a small dot moving across a hill and then a bright glare as the sun hits the windscreen.<P>Keep looking out for it...don't look at the smoke, look behind and up a little bit.<P>Well...that's all I've got. Oh and I've also heard that in Isenguard, you can see a tree with closed eyes. Hurons hopefully!! But I am still uncertain where this bit is.<P>Well cya,<P>Jarryd
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:42 PM   #27
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's something I bet you never noticed. After Aragorn kills Lurtz and runs towards Borimier, Viggo almost kicks a dead Orc's head. You can see the dead orc duck his head and another orc right beside the other one rises his head and looks at Viggo. Its hilarious.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:31 PM   #28
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

P.J., in the Director's commentary, mentions the car rumor. He claims he has looked and looked and sees no car. (I guess he would know, he edited the thing.)<P>The jury is still out at Birdie's house regarding the bird's nest/gollum question. I did a google search for "gollum arganoth and got no matches, so it seems that we have sole rights to this rumor here at the Downs.<P>Yes, you can see the two orcs moving very clearly. I'm gonna put it down to death throes, myself. <P>I'm gonna look for that Huron!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:28 PM   #29
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

From the mouth of P.J. himself, (in the Director's Commentary):<P>"Theer's a lettle berdsnest in the aye."<P>Since P.J. and Fran made numerous references in the commentary to the "Legends and Rumors" that have popped up about errors and hidden moments in the film, I'm sure he would have pointed out Gollum if he had been there.<P>So no Gollum. Just birds. Nice birdsssss...