The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Golden Satellite Awards

Once again another awards show. The Two Towers was nominated for 8 plus in the running for Outstanding Achievement award. Here are the nominees in those categories:<P><B>Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Drama</B><BR>Alfred Molina (Frida)<BR>Paul Newman (Road to Perdition)<BR>Dennis Quaid (Far From Heaven)<BR>Dennis Haysbert (Far From Heaven)<BR><B>Viggo Mortensen (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>Jeremy Davies (Solaris)<P><B>Best Motion Picture, Drama</B><BR>Road To Perdition<BR>Antwone Fisher<BR>Far From Heaven<BR>The Hours<BR><B>The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers</B><BR>The Quiet American<P><B>Best Director</B><BR>Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven)<BR>Pedro Almodovar (Talk To Her)<BR>Denzel Washington (Antwone Fisher)<BR><B>Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>Phillip Noyce (The Quiet American)<BR>Stephen Daldry (The Hours)<P><B>Best Screenplay, Adapted</B><BR><B>Frances Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Stephen Sinclair, Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)<BR>Bill Condon (Chicago)<BR>Charlie Kaufman, Donald Kaufman (Adaptation)<BR>Ronald Harwood (The Pianist)<P><B>Best Cinematography</B><BR>Conrad L. Hall (Road to Perdition)<BR>Janusz Kaminski (Minority Report)<BR><B>Andrew Lesnie (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>Michael Ballhaus (Gangs of New York)<BR>Edward Lachman (Far From Heaven)<P><B>Best Visual Effects</B><BR>Michael J. McAlister (Road to Perdition)<BR><B>Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randal William Cook, Alex Funke (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>John Dykstra (Spiderman)<BR>Scott Farrar (Minority Report)<BR>Bruce Steinheimer, Michael Owens, Edward Hirsh, Jon Alexander (Gangs of New York)<P><B>Best Film Editing</B><BR>Eric Zumbrunnen (Spiderman)<BR>Jeffrey Ford II (One Hour Photo)<BR><B>Michael Horton (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><BR>Dody Dom (Insomnia)<BR>Thelma Schoonmaker (Gangs of New York)<P><B>Best Sound</B><BR>Richard King I (Signs)<BR>Philip Stockton (Gangs of New York)<BR>Larry Blake (Solaris)<BR>Richard Hymns, Gary Rydstrom (Minority Report)<BR><B>Hammond Peek, C.A.S, Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)</B><P><B>Outstanding Achievement Award For Outstanding Motion Picture Ensemble<BR>The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers</B><P>Well, there they are. And are they gonna win? We will see...<p>[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Yes yes yes yes yes....<P>Except editing (not very well done in a few places) and that institution's defintion of "drama". This should be in "action" for sure.<P>And Viggo as "supporting role". He had the most screentime....Elijah didn't even rate flashbacks!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

And what did <I>TTT</I> win? <B>Nothing</B>!<P>Time to rant!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I'm feeling rather confused. Are you talking about the Golden Globe Awards, Manwe?<P>As for this award show, I've never heard of it. When is it and on what channel?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

arrgh I was really disappointed myself when I found out TT didn't win anything!
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, most natural satelittes are globes, so...<P>Yes.<P>It was on NBC last night, 8-11.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Globes and Satellites are different, but that doesn't mean the movie got treated any better. It lost all categories but one: special effects. Heck, it's an honor just to be nominated, right? <P><A HREF="http://www.pressacademy.com/ipa/ipa-satwin-2003film.html" TARGET=_blank>here is a link to the list of winners</A>
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Why on earth wasn't Gollum's Song even nominated for Best Song for the Golden Globes??? I know some people here think it's a bit too modern for LotR, but in and of itself it's a very good song (I personnaly think it's great for LotR). So why was it ignored? I saw that something from "The Wild Thornberry's" was nominated. Huh?<P>And does the Golden Satellite Awards have a Best Song category?<P>Edit: Oh, yes, they do. (I thought Tar-Palantir's link was for the Golden Globes). Anyway, looking around I noticed that TTT wasn't even nominated for Best Costume. Austen Powers was. I have no respect for that Awards show.<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Never heard of the Golden Satellite Awards before.<P>Anyway, I was rather dissapointed that Gollum wasn't even <I>nominated</I> for a grammy! He would've easily won Best Newcomer or Best (genre of 'Gollum's Song' goes here) award. I wonder if he will make a music video for his fish song in the near future?<P>TTT didn't win <I>any</I> awards at the Golden Satellite Awards? Wow. That's dissapointing.<P>Aylwen
Old 01-20-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It won something on globes? I watched from 9-11 maybe I missed it.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TTT didn't win anything at the Golden Globes but I've no idea about the Golden Satellite Awards, never heard of it actually.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:39 PM   #12
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I too, was very disapointed that TTT didn't win very many things, but in the back of my mind, I knew that Hollywood would never give anything big like best picture to TTT because alot of those people just didnt understand it and TTT is very different from any of the other films that were in their same catagories. Its unfair, but seems true. Oh well. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed next year for ROTK.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #13
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

How could TTT not win best screenplay? And I am VERY surprised that they weren't even nominated for Best Costume. I mean, did you see those costumes? They were awesome! All I know, is they seriously need some better judges on these. <P>Oh, and did I mention that Gangs of New York is now my all-time LEAST FAVORITE MOVIE!!! Ugh. I hate that movie. Just like I hated A Beautiful Mind last year. All I have to say, is with what I know is coming up in ROTK, they had best win best picture. If they don't then there is something wrong with that. That movie is going to be so good. I even heard that when Peter Jackson and Elijah Wood watched an unfinished version of it, they started crying. CRYING!! What does this leave for the rest of us?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote