The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2002, 01:41 AM   #201
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Girl, 18. I enjoy long walks on moonlit beaches, bubbles, and a rousing game of tiddlywinks.

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:02 AM   #202
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Female, 17. Read the hobbit two years ago, LOTR, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales just this past year. *bows*
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:44 PM   #203
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Female, 14, discovered Tolkien in Nov with LOTR, since then have read Hobbit, Silm, started reading Lost tales 1 or 2, can't remember, but haven't gotten very far, and read LOTR about 50-100 times. (I'm sad, and yes I know it.) I actually typed out the entire script for FOTR (the new movie), haven't seen the animated versions, (Glad I haven't) and have worn out my copy of LOTR so that each of the three covers have fallen off, the appendix from the feanorian letters has fallen out, all of helm's deep and the departure from lothlorien to parth galen is falling out, and the first 43 pages of FOTR are falling out. (last I checked)Okay I'll shut up now.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM   #204
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm female and will be 22 soon. I just started getting into LOTR since August. I'm still working on reading through TTT, I'm about halfway done. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 10:52 AM   #205
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Boots

Female 13 years old.

Read LOTR in January (after I saw the film) but listened to the Hobbit on tape before that. Am completely obsessed over Tolkien's work. (my mum says that its good that I'm not obsessed by anything else and more un-sophisticated (she means The Simpsons. I love 'em!). However she hasnt read them.) I have another friend who is just as obsessed as me. She used to live here (London) but moved to Mumbai.
(her name on B-D is busybee by the way)

Anyway. Story of my life.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:57 AM   #206
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

17, girl, human. at least, I look like a human, with maybe a bit of hobbit thrown in because I'm a little on the short side. But at heart, I'm an elf.
I started reading LOTR at the beginning on August of this year, and finished the Hobbit yesterday. I'm now reading FOTR again!
After reading other posts, I realized I probably should have put where I live [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I live in Texas, but want to live in Scotland or Ireland. In ME, I live in Rivendell, but often visit Lothlorien and Mirkwood.
Arwen

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:01 AM   #207
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Male - 22

I read the Hobbit when I was 11, the LotR when I was 13, the Silm when I was 16. I read all those about once a year now days. I just began UT.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:35 AM   #208
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Female, 15 (well, 14 really, I'll be 15 in twelve days) and I'm from Norway. Since most of you have included your Lord of the Rings history, I will too: Was given FotR for Christmas last year and I read half the book before I eventually saw the movie(I wanted to read the book before I saw the film, but Lord of the Rings didn't have much time left on the moviescreens around where I live, so I had to hurry up abit! Hehe). I've read all the LotR books 5 times since then. Going to buy Silmarillion or The Hobbit (or both) next weekend; it's about time I got started on some more of Tolkiens works of art.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:46 AM   #209
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Male, 14. Read the Hobbit at about 8, LOTR a year ago, am slowly but steadily plowing though Silmarillion now, have Unfinished Tales on waiting list...
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:37 PM   #210
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Male, 17 (Name means Bright Rage, or is meant to). I read the hobbit at about 6/7 (read bits of it all the time, same with all the others books) I've read LoTRs, the first 10 histories and clawing away at WoTJs (I have all 12 (I DO NOT count 13 as a real book, its an overpriced index)). I've also read Tree and Leaf, and the Sil (On Fairy Tales is excellent). I read some of the Letters, but i dont own it.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #211
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Female. 15. Will be 16 on November 29. Read the Hobbit at age 10, LOTR soon followed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #212
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Name: Meela, and some others.

Not much to tell about me, except that I'm quite clearly female, I enjoy fantasy, in particular Lord of the Rings (or I wouldn't be here in the first place), and I have a tendency to go a little crazy. Not the murderous Sauron-worshipping sort of crazy, fortunately.

Last edited by Meela; 11-26-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:58 PM   #213
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Well, I've told my age and other stuff in other threads (been here for 'bout a month), but since this seems to be the "official thread" for personal info, I'll post here.

Female, 18, from Wisconsin, U.S.A (you've never heard of my town, and it has a stupid name).

I first "discovered" Tolkien by reading some articles about it in the newspaper back in early 2000. I wanted to read the books then because they made it sound so interesting and because they included the Ring inscriptions, which I thought sounded really awesome.

But I didn't get around to reading "The Hobbit" until October of last year (2001) because I figured I'd better get my butt moving if I wanted to read the books before the movie came out.

Then I read "Lord of the Rings" in 6 days. Beat that!!!! (This gave me weeks then to worry about how good or bad the movie would be).

I read "The Silmarillion" this summer, plus "Unfinished Tales" and "Poems and Stories" (which is just a compliation of all his shorter works like Farmer Giles, etc.)

Sorry that was so long! I ramble, yes I do... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #214
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

My turn! 18, girl...but at heart an elven-maiden [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I saw the animated movie of The Hobbit several times when I was little, I loved it! For years, I've seen Tolkien stuff all over fantasy catalogs et cetera, and it always intrigued me. When I was 8, I wanted the LOTR computer game, but didn't get it [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

In July, for my birthday, I got LOTR! Then in August I bought the FOTR DVD and went crazy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm halfway through the TTT book now, and I bought "The Hobbit" a couple weeks ago and finished it in a matter of days. I'm currently looking for "The Simarilion" and others. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 05:28 PM   #215
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've posted enough on these threads that nothing is secret or sacred [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] .

Female 29

Tolkien became part of my life last September. Since then I have read Hobbit, LotR, Simarillion, Unfinished Tales, HoME 1-4, Tolkien Reader, Smith of Wooten Major, biography: JRR Tolkien by Daniel Grotta.
I am working on his Green Knight and other translated poems now.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:20 PM   #216
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

15 Male, Had the hobbit and Lotr read to me 2 years ago, read them myselves 1 year ago rereding them before rest of the mveies come out now, i didnt get through the silm even tho i have read allmsot every pice of information on the encyclepida arda website so i could tell you most of the stuff, all the names in the books i can either pronounce and not spell or spell and not pronounce and iv started lost tales 1 and 2, yes at same time, im a Lotr freak, i dun like saying Lotr freak cause i love more then just those 3 books, i could say im a ME freak but then ME doesnt include beleriand in my train of thought and if i say im a Arda freak, they got no diea what im talking about, like my friend told me she could real TTT in 1 day, but she didnt read ne of the other ones or see the moveie, so i spent my lunch perioud and my orchestra class telling her everythign i knew from the creation of arda to book 2 TTT, she was asleep when i finished Lol, and i am very very VERY POed that the did not put the singing form the books in the movies!!! oh and by the way MEOW!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:54 AM   #217
novbarwen greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

novbarwen greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

female-16

I read the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit in the January and The Silmarillion last August. LOVE ALL OF THEM! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The only one in school who is obsessed with LOTR.

Read the books everyday (though I can't finish all of them in 1 day)

Fell in love with all the good guys characters (especially Legolas)
Old 10-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #218
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

hmmm what do i wantmy fellow downers want to know hmm im 14 live in south california hmmm i like lotr....in case u didnt know that yet!! Mostly all of my friends are at the downs hmm what else my friend Thengise got me into lord of the rings oh yeah and im obsessed with Legolas hehe!!! :-D
Old 10-29-2002, 07:25 PM   #219
nerddogs
Pile O'Bones

nerddogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm 33 years old and a male. First started reading Tolkien at around 14.
nerddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:30 AM   #220
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Male, 12.57 years, discovered Tolkien about 1.5 years ago. So I'm pretty young, eh?

Feels strange to be here in the Downs, in the middle of these ancient(30-40 is pretty ancient [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) spirits.. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:56 PM   #221
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I´m one of the antique females, I turned 40 last week. I´m a single mother to a beautiful almost 12 year old son and we live in Stockholm, Sweden with our 2 cats. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 02:35 PM   #222
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Girl, exactly 13 and 4 months today [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]From London. Read LotR early this year (January-ish), after I saw the movie I must admit (got bored before!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). Thats just about it, really...
Old 10-30-2002, 02:49 PM   #223
Thomas

Tolkien

I'm male-12 found Tolkien at 6.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #224
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

hmm...on this plane of existence, I am what they called a female and the age of 21. I read the LOTR late in life in 10th grade and haven't been away from them since. I have read anything I could get my hands on of Tolkien. I have met so many great friends and had lots of fun with it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 11-07-2002, 01:43 PM   #225
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

16, girl. I read The Hobbit for the first time when I was eight (after which my dad tried to read LotR to me; needless to say, my eight-year-old attention span couldn't handle it), LotR when I was fifteen (in preparation for the Movie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]), and am currently in the middle of Silmarillion. My dear father got me addicted to Tolkien early on in life, and I have now "borrowed" most of his LotR stuff to put in my Shrine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

LOTR 4EVER!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #226
kaleidoscope
Pile O'Bones

kaleidoscope has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

girl, 14(15 in 9 days). I read The Hobbit whern I was 10 and read LotR imediatly afterward. I read The Sil and Unfinished Tales when I was 13.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:09 PM   #227
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, I'm 20 yrs old, and I'm a recent addict, already "grounding" myself from the books(I'm 6 chapters behind in my berean courses) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 06:43 PM   #228
briananoel

Sting

Just wanted to say hi!
I'm a girl, 14, going to be fifteen this December.
I'm from southern California, nothing special about that. I just discovered Tolkien two years ago...now my friends think I'm insane
Yay, my first post! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Briana ]
Old 11-16-2002, 02:08 PM   #229
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am a girl, and am 13, I will be 14 in a month and a half. I first started reading Tolkien when I was 10 (The Hobbit) and wanted to read LOTR, but never got around to it until last year when my we started reading them in literature. I was hooked. I bought the other two books (we had only gotten the Fellowship at that time) and read the whole trilogy in 3 days. I could have done better, but I'd had a busy weekend. Right now I am waiting until I can read them again, in the beginning of December. I don't want to read them so much I would get bored(like that's ever going to happen)
Namarie

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: Novlamothien ]