The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #641
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

The only reward that you will get is the inner pleasure.
I can't get more than one green box,so I wouldn't worry about that.
BTW:How could you get 11 boxes in the name of God!?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #642
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well you may need to make a few more posts ... it is possible for people to make very rapid progress now that so many of the old lags have so much "weight" and often like to encourage new talent .... but as you so rightly say the inner pleasure is what counts..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #643
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well you may need to make a few more posts ... it is possible for people to make very rapid progress now that so many of the old lags have so much "weight" and often like to encourage new talent .... but as you so rightly say the inner pleasure is what counts..
*Deadpan voice and face*

Example?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 AM   #644
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrod the Hunter
The only reward that you will get is the inner pleasure.
That's very true. Your best posts aren't those that get the most rep but those that you feel good/proud that you've uploaded.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #645
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
*Deadpan voice and face*

Example?

Sorry I have no idea what I meant then ... or indeed who..

Old 04-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #646
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Saureg, I think it can work both ways. Some of the posts that I was really proud of, got me a lot of reps, and it only means more to see that other people enjoy what you posted. Where other posts I've really enjoyed got me little or no reps, but I'm still proud of them .
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #647
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Sorry I have no idea what I meant then ... or indeed who..
Liar
Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #648
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Thumbs up

So, I've been Frodoed and that makes me really happy, not just because an extra greed...I mean green box has been added under my name, but because I can now easily find myself on the Reputations List, third Page. Amazing what little boxes can do.

And I am happy to see that no-one gives me reps without signing anymore. I hope that's become everyone's habit.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #649
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
Liar
!!! Outrageous - do I still have custody of Fordim's Gauntlet?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #650
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Girl-Power!

Woo-hoo!

The cardinals are still voting in their conclave and the UK is blissfully MP-free but no such power-vacuum exists at the Barrow Downs. We have a new leader - with a modest number of posts but clearly and deservedly well received Lalwende is the Downer with the highest reputation!!!! Laughter in the higher echelons of the barrow - superb .......

(And maybe davem will just have to get used to her having the upper hand )

Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #651
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
It's very nice and refreshing that this a family-friendly forum but I think receiving an (anonymous, mind you) bad reputation because I used the word 'damn' (which you can see the board does not censor) is a little over the top. Especially since the term was not used as an insult but in a humorous manner (see post 86, page 3 of this thread). This is not to argue with the personal beliefs of the reputation giver - if he/she thinks I deserved a bad rep, so be it, they're exercising their board-given right. This is just to bring once again to the attention a problem that has been brought many times since the rep system was made, but never, to my knowledge has it been eradicated: that of NOT signing negative reps. No one hesitates to sign positive reps, but most negative reps are left anonymous. Hmm. A not so flattering appelative comes to mind, and one that is not a swear word.

Not that I mind bad reps. It's quite interesting to get them, because they became so rare. And a difference has to be made, or else we'd all be heading for the Straight Road sooner or later, and what would be the fun in that? I for one am happy to be at Aragorn's court for I am enjoying myself immensely and do not wish to leave.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #652
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think cowardly may be the word you are looking for.....

I finally cracked and gave a negative rep for a post I felt was quite malicious. But I signed it...

I suppose the only thing worse than not signing would be to sign with someone elses name... but perhaps I shouldn't give folk ideas...........

Old 04-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #653
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'd actually wondered about that, Mith... If some mischief-maker with a bad sense of humor decided to neg-rep somebody and sign it The Barrow-Wight, or Esty, or... davem. The only way you could tell is if the points you receive don't correspond with the points they have to give.

What got me thinking along those lines was the Crystal Heart fiasco and how we don't really know who anybody is at any given time, but for pure trust in words. Is there any way for our beloved Higher Ups to moniter rep-giving? I don't remember if that has been mentioned before. I know that most of my reps come from the real deal Downers, because they have cute personal references and such, but how can you really tell?

-Conspiracy Theory Fea
Old 04-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #654
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But does neg rep have the same weight as positive? I think I just lost one point each time but since it was anonymous there was no way of telling if that was their "weight" or normal.....

Unsurprisingly it was that unfortunate business that prompted my neg repping - not the incident itself but a response to it which was too full of schadenfreude...

Old 04-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #655
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
(And maybe davem will just have to get used to her having the upper hand )

I spoke too soon methinks.. clearly there is a fine balance of power!

Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #656
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I spoke too soon methinks.. clearly there is a fine balance of power!
It certainly beats arguing over the remote control, anyway! Or the ironing.

But about getting a negative rep and it being 'signed' with a false name - surely if you got one you might want to PM the supposed giver and ask about it, especially if they were someone well-known? If so, then the culprit might soon be found out, as no doubt it would end up going to a mod or to The Barrow-Wight who must be able to trace such things?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #657
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I know that most of my reps come from the real deal Downers, because they have cute personal references and such, but how can you really tell?
Good question Fea, I think most downers do use some sort of stamp, or repeated sign to sort of show that that is them. For instance I use the §, thingy's....the one's I've gotten from Eomer says "sincerely," and others always use abbreviations. So if it's something that's sort of a way to tell if that's the real person or not, but of course it's not concrete.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mith: I finally cracked and gave a negative rep for a post I felt was quite malicious. But I signed it...
Good girl.

Quote:
Not that I mind bad reps. It's quite interesting to get them, because they became so rare. And a difference has to be made, or else we'd all be heading for the Straight Road sooner or later, and what would be the fun in that?
I see where you are coming from Evisse, and it's quite sad people don't have the "guts" to put down their name. But I would have to disagree with you on this, I am not one who likes to see bad reps, I find it troubling to give one, but the ones that I do give, I assure there is no remorse in it. Eventhough if we would all be heading for the "straight road," I don't see a reason for people to hand out more bad reps, I think blatent personal attacks against others, or a disobeyal of forum rules are just grounds for bad reputations, maybe just being ignorant...on top of some other bad qualities. Instead of giving more bad reps, I think we shouldn't be so "rep happy" anymore, and to rep them post that are absolutely fantastic/thoughtful/insightful. Or ones on the lighter side that just gets you to crack up laughing you choke on your tea and crumpets (or muffins whatever you prefer). I mean laughter is the biggest easer of stress, and I think should warrant a good reputation if someone gets you to bust up laughing.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:43 PM   #658
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
This is just to bring once again to the attention a problem that has been brought many times since the rep system was made, but never, to my knowledge has it been eradicated: that of NOT signing negative reps. No one hesitates to sign positive reps, but most negative reps are left anonymous.
Ehk, I absolutely detest that... Especially when people make it a habit, or have special way of compiling information into a rep that gives it an obvious mark. I just feel like I wish I could track them down and say: " Look! If you're trying to be 'mysterious' add some variety! Don't be a square... "

But, there are sometimes when I find that after giving a positive comment, I forget my name... or, my personal mark of ~ ( incert mood or ideal here) Ka. Hopefully the person is able to tell. Sorry for those times, I was being a buckethead.

As for identity-theft used on reps... Identity-theft is for pickeled herring-bellied cowards... and for ANYONE with such a notion, THE Ka will track you down and eat you... Because fish are tasty twice boiled...

~ memorative Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 04-21-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #659
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Negative reps without signatures

Over the last 90 days....

Positive reputations given: 3446 (98.7%)
Negative Reputations given: 48 (1.3%)

This is a fantastic statistic! It shows that only a tiny fraction of what is written on the Downs is considered substandard by the community at large, and it is proof that our members can govern themselves into continued excellence. The reputation system is not responsible for our excellence, of course, but it is another testament to it.

However....

Negative reputations without signature: 25 (53%!!!!)
Negative reputations without comment: 6 (13%!!!!)

These numbers are terrible. Even though they represent only a miniscule amount of the total reps given, they are entirely unacceptable, more so in that several had values higher than -1, which means they weren't given by new members.

There is nothing wrong with giving a negative reputation as long as it has a valid, constructive comment and a clear, uncoded indication of who wrote it. If it's not worth signing, it's not worth writing.

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 04-22-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #660
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just wanted to note that the 'best' rep that I have received was exactly two characters in length - "OK". Probably thought more about that one rep than any of the others that I'd received. It was positive, so the sender wasn't saying "okay - enough already!" but was he/she agreeing with me, or was it something deeper...

And I wish that I could get rep points at work - it would definitely make me more productive.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #661
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Very interesting stats. I assume that the no comments are in addition to the no sigs? IE that only 34% of neg rep is a signed comment?

** BW's answer **
Actually, the blanks are part of the no sigs group, thus 25 total without sigs, of which 6 were blank

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 04-22-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #662
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's not as though if you sign a negative rep the recipient is going to hate you forever and plot your downfall every time s/he turns on the computer... at least, I hope not.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #663
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, but Encai, you forgot to take into account the incredible revenge-plotting skills of us 'Downers. We're a miserably petty bunch, we all.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #664
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Instead of giving more bad reps, I think we shouldn't be so "rep happy" anymore, and to rep them post that are absolutely fantastic/thoughtful/insightful. Or ones on the lighter side that just gets you to crack up laughing you choke on your tea and crumpets (or muffins whatever you prefer). I mean laughter is the biggest easer of stress, and I think should warrant a good reputation if someone gets you to bust up laughing.

I have to disagree with this. I don't think it is a problem it lots of people end up bound for the straight road or even on Taniquetil (which I imagine is as far as it goes...) . While the weight of established downers may speed their passsage, by the time they get there, they should have still got the benefit of the system (you learn what sort of posts are appropriate and have become sufficiently established for your exact status to be less relevant [unless it has sparked a strong competitive streak as with some who shall remain nameless ] ). While I think there mightbe an argument for capping the rep-weight of downers, it smacks of "pulling the ladder up behind you" to change one's criteria for rep because you have more to give.

As someone who benefitted from the encouragement of some high rollers as a newcomer, I will not grudge the points I have to give to those who interest or amuse or provoke thought. I do try to rep a wide range of people though, while there are downers who deserve rep for more or less everything they post, I fegard it as a failure if I get the "spread it around message too often".

As for the anonymous, commentless neg rep - I guess it could be demonstrated by a Venn diagramme ( Barrow Downers who idle as well as cowardly ).

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-23-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Public humiliation;)
Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #665
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Negative reputations without comment: 6 (13%!!!!)

How did they do that?! Fall asleep at the keyboard? Total waste of time if you don't specifically state why that post was not approved... and of course it doesn't make sense at all...

That's sad... <--- proving it again in pixels...

~ Disappointed Ka
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #666
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Those are frightening statistics. Though, I must admit, that I have left unsigned positive comments--but only because my pinkie finger has reached over and pushed the "Enter" button on the keyboard before I was finished!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #667
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I left unsigned positive rep when I started since I didn't realise it was an anonymous system and assumed the sender would be identified - and sometimes I am just ham-fisted and hit the wrong key. But thereis a world of difference between anonymous positive rep and anonymous neg rep ( unless you are stalking someone of course!!!). It is the difference between the door bell ringing and opening the door to find noone and opening hte door to find a bunch of flowers on the step

Old 04-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #668
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
How did they do that?! Fall asleep at the keyboard? Total waste of time if you don't specifically state why that post was not approved... and of course it doesn't make sense at all...
I've had those too... *sniffles*
-EF

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #669
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I left unsigned positive rep when I started since I didn't realise it was an anonymous system and assumed the sender would be identified - and sometimes I am just ham-fisted and hit the wrong key. But thereis a world of difference between anonymous positive rep and anonymous neg rep ( unless you are stalking someone of course!!!). It is the difference between the door bell ringing and opening the door to find noone and opening hte door to find a bunch of flowers on the step

Is May Day then considered stalking?

Just checking so I don't have any doubts about my May 1st practices...

~ May Day Ka
Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #670
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Is May Day then considered stalking?

Just checking so I don't have any doubts about my May 1st practices...

~ May Day Ka
Sorry, I have no ideas what you mean .... the only Mayday practices I can think of involve either Eastern European tank parades, choirboys up towers, and prancing around a pole clutching a ribbon - and balls of course - all of which may be dubious in their own ways but nothing to do with rep... :S

Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #671
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Sorry, I have no ideas what you mean .... the only Mayday practices I can think of involve either Eastern European tank parades, choirboys up towers, and prancing around a pole clutching a ribbon - and balls of course - all of which may be dubious in their own ways but nothing to do with rep... :S

You have to know! Does the practice of placing flowers on stoops, doorsteps, and thresholds, ringing the door bell or knocking then disappearing from sight ring a bell?

my mum once told me it was a 'dead celebration...'. Meaning that no one ever does it anymore. Tis' sad...

Hope this helps. Maybe we should have one at the Downs... It would be a great way of keeping up the kindness between older members, and welcoming new ones.

~ It be Ka
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #672
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not only did I just recieve my first negative rep for a Crazy Caption, but the author of said rep signed it with a "hehe" and a ": )" (this is not my emoticon, I boycott them). What's up with that? Oh, and they didn't leave a name either. I guess that maybe it was a mistake, but I still think that's kind of rude.
always eating chicken?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #673
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I receive quite a lot of unsigned neutral reps, which have dark icons next to them and don't add to my points or, as far as I can see, subtract from them...very odd...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #674
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Reputations that don't add (or subtract) any points from your standing are from very new members who have not yet posted enough to earn status as a giver of reputation points. They should still be able to include comments and their name, though. LIkely they are so new they don't realise we have a form of etiquette which suggests we prefer signed comments. Strange, though, that they have learned about the rep system without learning that.

So, to all you newbies who read this thread, please as a courtesy include a comment or two explaining why you have repped a particular post and include your nick as well. People here appreciate feedback!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #675
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

What I want to know, is do you have the same weight in neg rep as positive? There has been a post that I have been tempted to neg rep both times I read it but held back because it was a newbie and I thought it might be an excessive punishment for a first offence!!!!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #676
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Not only did I just recieve my first negative rep for a Crazy Caption, but the author of said rep signed it with a "hehe" and a ": )" (this is not my emoticon, I boycott them). What's up with that? Oh, and they didn't leave a name either. I guess that maybe it was a mistake, but I still think that's kind of rude.
It's possible that the person repping you (and no, it was not me) had their settings set to "negative" because the last person they repped was negative. From the comments, it would appear that they liked your caption.

So, as a note: if you don't re-click on positive rep after giving someone bad rep, all the rep you give will be negative. The default setting is whatever you did last.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #677
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So, as a note: if you don't re-click on positive rep after giving someone bad rep, all the rep you give will be negative. The default setting is whatever you did last.
See, I didn't know that because I've never given a negative rep. Thanks, it all makes more sense now.
always eating chicken?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #678
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
See, I didn't know that because I've never given a negative rep. Thanks, it all makes more sense now.
Actually, neither have I, but that's what I've gleaned from reading around here. I suppose it's possible that I'm wrong, but given the evidence I'd rather think not.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #679
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
That doesn't happen to me -- the default I get is always positive, no matter what the last rep type was.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #680
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Well, I could well be wrong (see last post of mine in this thread for reasons why). However, that was what I was given to understand from others.

Or maybe YOU were the one who repped Aina!!!