The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2002, 06:45 AM   #1
Frodosgirl
Pile O'Bones

Frodosgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Ring What do u think of Frodo??

I simply adore Frodo and Elijah wood (for those who dont know who he is: he plays Frodo)<BR>Dont u agree with me he is one of the most talented actors as well as orlando Bloom! sigh . . i just dream about being rescued by Frodo! and go on journeys and have adventures!<BR> <BR> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -<BR>'Now sam don't hinder me! The others will be coming back at any minute. If they catch me here , i shall never have the heart or the chance to get off. But i must go at once. It's the only way.'<BR> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - :
Old 05-06-2002, 09:05 AM   #2
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always liked Frodo, and I think that Elijah Wood was an excellent pick for the character. (Love those eyes!) Elijah is an exceptional actor, and I can't wait to see him develop the Frodo character more in the next two movies.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:23 AM   #3
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

You have all just taken the words out of my mouth. Oh yeah!! Gotta love those eyes!!<BR>I love the way he smiles with his whole face. It starts slow then breaks forth in beauty. I know someone who says he is ugly. I think she needs her eyes examined and she needs a CAT-scan
Old 05-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
Hanna_Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Hanna_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hanna_Gamgee Send a message via Yahoo to Hanna_Gamgee
Pipe

I agree with all of you. Frodo is the best character. Elijah was the perfect for the role. His eyes are very expressive.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
Nurumla

Silmaril

Frodo is a great character. Only one problem I have with the Frodo in the movie. Over half the time Elijah Wood (I love his eyes!) looks like he is on an acid trip. Was I the only one that caught that? <P>Nurumla
Old 05-06-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you all, you´ve said everything that I think. He´s just the perfect Frodo... <BR>Well, I won´t say I agree with Nurumla though, but..
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:19 PM   #7
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nurumla - Frodo was stabbed by one of the black riders, he was supposed to look like that
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:24 PM   #8
nilturiel

Silmaril

to be honest i didnt like elijah wood! i dont think he is that good lookin ! i much prefer orlando bloom now he is gorgeous! (sorry thats my opinion)!
Old 05-06-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

frodo was never one of my favorite characters - he is too quiet a hero for me. i prefer that larger, more swashbuckling types.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn, perhaps, Piosenniel? With a side-dish of Boromir?
Old 05-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that Frodo is a very well written character because of how he grows due to what he is going through. Elijah Wood did a good job in the movie. I am very pleased with his performance.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:54 PM   #12
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

Never mind Wood's physical appearance. Frodo is my favorite type of hero. I don't really go for the large swashbuckling type... It's the more intellectual and quietly driven that pull me in and make me feel sympathetic. I think part of it is that (even tho I've read the books) you generally do not know Frodo's capabilities. He's quiet, modest, and has an understated grasp on people -or should I say hobbits?- that makes him capable of his task. He is a hero without all the cliches.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:45 PM   #13
Dimwilwareniel
Pile O'Bones

Dimwilwareniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo is one of my favorite characters in the LotR series other than Pippin, Aragorn, and Legolas. sigh... I think that Elijah Wood was a good actor for Frodo's part(I LOVE his eyes)he was serious acting and he didn't say too much.(Which I think are some of Frodo qualities) One of the reasons why I like Frodo so much is because he doesn't seem to brag about being the hero chosen to destroy the ring. I don't care whether or not Frodo was played by Elijah,he's one of the best characters by himself!!
Old 05-08-2002, 02:12 PM   #14
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
sure, Frodo's cool. (AHHH! Elijah's eyes are SCARY!) <BR> <p>[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: gollum*elf*pup ]
Old 05-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #15
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Ninja Ferret on Frodo:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He is a hero without all the cliches. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nicely said. I totally agree.<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-10-2002, 09:20 AM   #16
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo is a great character, a very well written character, one that you feel you come to know through his adventures but at the end can still surprise you. Frodo is not a character that you think of when reading in physical terms, but in the film, the physicality of all the roles was one of the main considerations. I have no complaints with Elijah Wood's portrayal. He certainly didn't look like a man - very hobbit like, but he acted the part well, even though Frodo's part was belittled in the film and he was portrayed as much weaker than he is written in the book. But I'm sorry people, there is something slightly twisted about fancying people from LOTR in my opinion! Maybe it;s because I've been obsessed with these characters from a very early age, but to get to the point of drooling over anyone from Middle Earth, or even the actors that play them....well it just seems wrong. Like fancying people from the Bible! Leave them alone!!! LOTR is asexual! You are tainting it!!! Sorry you guys, I'm just very strange. Does anyone else know what I mean?<P>Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 AM   #17
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Let's not get Frodo and Elijah Wood mixed up!!!!!<P>Wood was an excellent choice, he is very good-looking and an awesome actor. <P>Frodo is, I must say, the BEST character in LOTR. You can't like LOTR and not like Frodo. It's just wrong. You can like other people, too, but if you don't care for Frodo, you don't care for the Fate of Middle-Earth, etc. Frodo is very complex and very brave, I love him!<P>...Although, I have to admit, when I first read it in 6th grade after reading and loving and re-reading the Hobbit about a billion times, I almost hated Frodo at first because I was like "Where's Bilbo? I wnat Bilbo! Give me Bilboooo!!!" It was really funny.<P>But now I'm over that. Frodo very good guy. Savior of all Middle earth! Yeah! <P>--Lanniae <P>PS: <P>THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ELIJAH WOOD AND FRODO BAGGINS!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:07 AM   #18
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Frodo Baggins is short, squat and hairy...um...that's all I can think of!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #19
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo is a hero, I admit. The kind of hero that do not kill, but grant life. That might be very good in real life, but a bit boring in a movie. In a movie heroes like Aragorn a much better, because they are so cool to watch in action, instead of Frodo who goes into chok whenever danger is near.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:15 AM   #20
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

I just took this class and we focused quite a bit on classic vs romantic heroes, and now I'm going to try to take it one step further and bring in modern heroes. <P>Classic heroes: Physically imposing, handsome, do things purely for glory, honor, fame, hubris (too much pride, usually fatal in the long run) often a huge part of their character, feels nothing but a desire to gain glory.<P>The romantic heroes brought women into the picture; women were a source of strength (knight fighting, knight gets wounded, sees his maiden praying for him, finds strength, kills bad guy). So now love was part of their emotional repertoire (sp?).<P>Modern heroes... are usually thinkers. They are the underdog, the "geeky" kid in class who through his/her mental prowess saves someone from some great evil. The modern hero triumphs through self-discovery, realizing what he/she is capable of, or conversely, the fallen hero realizes his/her abilities too late ("The Hours," by Michael Cunningham).<P>So Frodo embodies almost all of those categories. The only thing he doesn't do is find love with the opposite sex; no "fine amour." He physically toughens up to the point where he emerges as one who could be a classic hero, yet he has a thoughtfulness and sensitivity that makes him more modern and emotionally accessible.<P>(Hah hah! Little does my brain know that in this disguised slacking off, I was studying! This is great! Hee hee heeee... )
Old 05-13-2002, 07:45 AM   #21
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow, really cool point there, NinjaFerret! kudos!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #22
Road Dog22
Pile O'Bones

Road Dog22 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Road Dog22 Send a message via AIM to Road Dog22
Sting

i don't really like frodo or any of the other hobbits they make them look kinda girlie in the movie
Road Dog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 03:24 PM   #23
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

I like the character of Frodo very much in the book (Though my favourite is Sam), but I had no visual image of him in my mind before seeing the movie (with a good deal of scepticism) I think that Elijah Wood impersonates Frodo ideally - for me, Frodo will forever have Elijah`s face now. Without many words, his extremely expressive face and his soulful eyes convey Frodos feelings, fears and doubts in a way that touches the heart.<BR>I agree with Airetauriel that in the movie, Frodo`s part was belittled and he`s more passive than in the book. In a film it is, of course, much easier to display active and fighting heroes! But Frodo`s strength (i.e. resistance to the ring) is just that he is so modest and unselfish. He has absolutely no ambition and desire for power or honour. He hasn`t put himself forward for this quest and he undertakes it only because he loves his country and wants to save it, even if he has to sacrifice himself.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:47 PM   #24
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is so hard to compare the characters, they are all so different, they are all heros, but I always thought that Frodo was the best.<P>Elijah Wood is a great actor, I love those eyes! My only complaint is that Frodo is supposed to be a 50 year old who could look like 33 because of the ring, Elijah Wood does not look like he is 33. That is my only complaint, everything else about him is awesome! <P><BR>[Arwen Imladris gives thretening looks at Frodo and Elijah bashers]<P>If you don't want him, don't claim him. And keep your mouth shut! <P><BR>Sorry, I mean that in the nicest posibble sence!
Old 05-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #25
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My only complaint is that Frodo is supposed to be a 50 year old who could look like 33 because of the ring, Elijah Wood does not look like he is 33. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I have thought of this myself, what does everyone else think?<P>And I LOVE Frodo in the book! I don't know why, I just do! And personaly, I prefer weak, humble heroes to swashbuckling ones. <P>~M
Old 05-19-2002, 05:31 PM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My only complaint is that Frodo is supposed to be a 50 year old who could look like 33 because of the ring, Elijah Wood does not look like he is 33. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You have to remember that hobbits probably age at different rates, anyway. Remember: they in general live longer than humans and come of age at 33! So: he could have very well looked as he did at 33 as he did in the movie. The only thing I didn't like was the 17 years that disappeared between Frodo getting the ring and leaving with it in the movie. It was much more urgent seeming, which was good for the tension in the movie, I guess...instead of "oh...better get rid of the dang ring now!", like it was in the beginning of FotR: the book.<P>And, I think that, of all the actors I can think of now, Elijah Wood was the best choice. As were most of the actors they got! I can't think of better choices right now.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:35 PM   #27
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL. Lij makes a funny hobbit. (with v. scary eyes)<BR>
Old 05-20-2002, 01:27 PM   #28
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Some of my friends also say that Elijah Wood looks too young and cute for a hobbit.<BR>I agree completely with VanimaEdhel`s argument. Frodo stops ageing when he gets the ring at his coming-of-age-party (for hobbits 33 years), that would make him look like a human of about 20, wouldn`t it ? Anyhow, I never pictured Frodo as very manly... As for looking too cute, well Frodo is described as "fairer than most (hobbits)" in the prancing Pony. And later, when he is lying apparently dead under Cirith Ungol it is said that "his face was pale but beautiful with an elvish beauty" That, I think, is very appropriate!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #29
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I like him! He's my favorite character. The true hero of the books is Frodo.
Lotrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well said, Lotrelf! And welcome to the Downs.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #31
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Well said, Lotrelf! And welcome to the Downs.
Thanks, Pervinca,
Lotrelf is offline   Reply With Quote