Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2003, 08:37 AM   #41
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I would beg to remind all of you who are engaged in starry ideas about this trek that there are cameo writers who have boldly gone before you and made certain things so. That is, they have broached the topic for you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And before you plunge into the mirky depths of wooden ideas (please see OED for 'wooden'), remember that you must mine for more play in the pits where deforested mountains hide bale-logs.

And our own Mith will have something to say about other entient pieces.

Bethberry [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #42
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bethberry,

First, I have a strong suspicion that 99.9% of the bagloads of wooden "treasures" that Pettygast rescues from the jumble sales will be quite ordinary things. He does have a way of consistently getting things wrong, although he thought that Fruit-giver told him to "reassemble the pieces."

But just what are those "pieces" --pieces fashioned out of wood, pieces of a tale, pieces of a magical spell, or something we haven't even considered yet. Pettygast has made certain assumptions from his dream that the "pieces" are synonymous with the bowls, cups, etc. that he saw. But are they? I have no idea.

Also remember that Pettygast doesn't only get his spells wrong. He gets other things wrong as well. That includes grammar, spelling, and dream interpretation. Was that really Fruit-giver, or a false sending of some sort?

And let's not forget the vexing issue of homonyms. As far as I know, there is no "s" plural for "peace", but are we sure that Pettygast understands that fine point of grammar? Or, perhaps, it was the Middle-English "pees" he actually heard.

In short, if I were sitting at that Council table, I would be hesitent to accept the wizard's words at face value unless there is some corroboration. Perhaps, the existing entient piece has some feelings on all this?

sharon

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-15-2003, 10:04 AM   #43
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Somehow the idea that Pettygast is consistently anything seems far too sensible and reliable to be the whole truth. Be that as it may, any nonsense spoken with conviction is enough to have the great Etceteron swearing his allegiance to a buffet queue, a passing dromedary or, in one particularly tired and emotional moment, a small ornamental rosebush.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #44
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I will be away on business Thursday and Friday. I will try and post before I go. I may not be on this weekend either though I will try to pop in.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

So, Lord Roneld has gotten us out of the Hidden Valley Ranch and on our way to Topfloorien. We will now be traveling through the wilderness, heading for the Canthardlee Pass, since we need to get to the other side of the mountains. You may move us on; I hope we get to the pass some time this weekend. Next week we will be going underground, then reaching Topfloorien by that weekend, if possible.

Please let me know if you would like to insert anything into my narrative - editing is no problem. I look forward to your next posts! Perhaps we can keep Kuruharan and Pettygast with us for awhile, with others writing them into their posts. I'd appreciate feedback and ideas!

Morning mathematical musings: Would a Half-Halfling be called a Quarterling??
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #46
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Well, I have set us out in style, I hope. So, is this mother-in-law of Roneld's indeed the Lady Gladloréal of Carrots Glad-thorn? Or shall we have to wait till we get to Topfloorien find out? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And Sharon, I'm glad to amuse you so. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You can never be too sure about what's going on in the mind of a Wizard.

I'll advise that whoever posts next allows room in the narrative for a post by Squatter having to do with Vogonwë's poem. It would be wise, my friends.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 PM   #47
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I'll say only, Diamond, that Topfloorien is quite, um, vegetated. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] A few ideas have been tossed around.

Bethberry
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #48
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

As you've probably noticed by now, Lord Etceteron's Arthurian clowning has now been published. Share and enjoy.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #49
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Very good Squatter. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A short and increasingly bizarre and unhinged Gormlessar post, well, posted. Moving through the wilderness to the heights of Canthardlee Pass. I have a post ready for when the storm hits. I'll post it...well, then.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

You are all very humourous writers. Kudos, etc.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:10 PM   #50
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Gormlessar's ghosting reminds one of those lines,

Quote:
oh, I didn't realize that [he] wrote poetry/ (I didn't realize [he] wrote such bloody awful poetry)
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Using poetry loosely to mean prose of course.

Bethberry
Old 01-18-2003, 08:22 AM   #51
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Great posts, everyone! I wish I could go into detail over each of them – I enjoy them so much! But that would take much too long, and I’ve been ‘gently’ reminded that a Merisu post is due. Thanks to a bunch of fantastic writers!

Diamond, you certainly did set us out in style! Vogonwë’s poetry is, as always! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You do have me wondering if I might have a piece of jewelry that would enable me to retreat from unwelcome speeches like Pimpi does…

Squatter, great descriptive prose and a wonderful literary analysis! You and Diamond set up a good cooperative effort there.

Mithadan, nice introduction of the Entish wooden foot! I was looking forward to that. And you finally showed us the true story behind the torture of the Elves – Orc hairdressers!

Rim, that tin-whistle was such a touching….touch! More eloquence than puns this time – hmmmm, fines are an effective measure after all! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (Please don’t stop!)

Kuru, (may we abbreviate you to that?) what an unexpected talent Chrys has – violin playing! By the way, after that sizeable cash payment, we expect you to stay with us for the whole journey! (With your permission, we will carry your character when you haven’t the time to write. If you do want to fly off for an additional adventure, let us know so that your Dwarf isn’t trying to be in two places at once.)

B-W, what a sneaky reference to hang-hobbit! And your independent arm sounded so Monty-Python-esque that we were trying to remember an episode with that, but it is all your own idea after all!

Sharon, I would like to keep Pettygast with us until we go underground, where he will be suitably lost to the Fellow-Galship. He will be needed on Canthardlee Pass. We will carry the character if you can’t post this week.

Some additional information for all:

The timeframe of our story has been made more precise by Mith’s reference to Lord Sourone as ruler of Gol Dulldor. That would put us at about the time of The Hobbit. This is fine, since I wanted us to use the M-E locations, and LotR as a reference, but not exactly follow the events of LotR. From Topfloorien, we will travel to Gol Dulldor to fight Orcs, since our “hope is in battle not in secrecy”, as Rim so ably stated. From there, we will move down the river to the capital city of the humans, then to the tower of the Orcs, where we will fight a foe as yet unknown to most of us.

That will complete the revenge part of the story, which I would like to have done by mid-March, since I will be away for several weeks till mid-April. (Closer to most of you in real life, since I’ll be in the States, but who knows when I’ll have computer access?!) I am trying to keep the story moving to avoid stagnation, but if you want to take more time in a particular location or already have an idea for a smashing post later on, please drop me a line.

If you all enjoy the RPG enough to write a sequel, we can go on to find more lost pieces of the Ent afterwards…
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Esty,

I should be able to post something on Monday. Later in the week, I'm not sure as I return to work.

You are more than welcome to manipulate my character as needed, and I will definitely keep an eye on the story line.

sharon
Old 01-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #53
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Everyone: The first part of Merisu's account of the journey to Canthardlee Pass is up. If anyone wants to post at this point, please do so soon. (Short posts are fine - Diamond and/or Kuruharan may want to write a flashback/memory of the dagger sale, for example.) Otherwise I will be finishing up the journey within a day or two. Rimbaud will post when we reach the mountain. If you have ideas for that location, please contact him to coordinate your plans.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 01-21-2003, 09:51 AM   #54
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Merisu has taken us up to the foot of the mountains (post is up and will be completed within the hour). Rim will continue up on the pass, so please wait until he has posted this evening before adding anything to the story. Diamond has a post idea coming back down from the mountains; after that we head underground.

Thanks again for great posts - Birdie, what fun birds! 'Tis a shame that they were roasted and eaten...
Old 01-21-2003, 07:27 PM   #55
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

For those of you with a bent for music trivia, there are 'one or two' little references in my latest post. See if you can spot them all! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #56
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I'm glad all over that such things do not fade away, Rim, cause it's fun, fun, fun with all these good vibrations.

I'm wishin' and hopin' that while all of you are going' up country in that cave you won't become silhouettes or smoke on the water as you ride out the storm. Little by little you will have your audience all cried out and they won't get fooled again.

Although this was a magic moment, clearly some stories are bigger than others--a third rate romance perhaps?

For what it's worth, these eyes cry out for yesterday.

"Stop! Stop ! Stop!" you might say, but, in the end, you really got me now.

Bethberry [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-21-2003, 10:18 PM   #57
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I have my post edited...the last post on page one! How honored, I feel. Do enjoy.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:16 AM   #58
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, it sounds like y'all are on the road to nowhere, but once you get over the mountain and they take you to the river, it will be nothing but flowers.

Ah, such is life during wartime. Glad to see you're staying up late to continue the story. Just watch out for those psycho-killer Orcs!

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 01-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #59
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Announcement: As I write these lines, our RPG has reached its 42nd post! I thought this significant number should be duly noted.

Rim, you wild thing! You made that post sing... 'How shall I pun thee? Let me count the ways:' Nope, no way to count 'em, and who could count while laughing?!

Diamond, as always, great use of language! The poetry is ... as always, then alliterated marshmallows and the wonderful Baskerwargs and Fool of a Half-Took!

Mith, skwerls?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yes, that was the only possible result of Rim's post. I can't help but wonder what will be the fate of that red-shirted soldier...

Birdie, I didn't know we have another poet here! Of course, we have to guess whether the *** word rhymes. At least now we know where the fox was headed...

Squatter, Etceteron, our connoisseur of the fine linguistic arts delights us with his insights yet another time! The line about the woven staves seems so familiar to me...

Thanks, all, for a slew of great posts! Unless someone has another, I will take us underground today or tomorrow at the latest.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #60
Spectre of Decay

Sting

I don't know what you mean, Estelyn. As you know I never borrow dialogue unless I really, really want to.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #61
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Hmph.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #62
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Posted again. This time, Halfullion waxes lyrical like poetry written by a candle.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:55 AM   #63
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Rimbaud - Your poetry has a truly Simonized air to it. But will it last the night?

I've filled in the fox's post from this afternoon.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #64
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

We are now in the subterranean terrain of the Subway. All are welcome to lead us around and through the labyrinthine paths, to sundry adventures... We hope to find the way out around about Monday/Tuesday.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:27 AM   #65
Spectre of Decay

Sting

My latest post assumes the presence of Pettygast and the horses. Is that going to cause any problems?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #66
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

I don't think so. Additionally, I included them anyway [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Indeed, they may prove one of the main problems with the Underground.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #67
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Pipe

I've put up a very bizarre sticky wicket of a post. If you've seen Disney's Jungle Book, you will better understand Halfie and Tofu's discourse.

I do hope I haven't misunderstood the portent behind the ramblings of the last two posts, but I do feel rather like Pimpi at the moment.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #68
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A garage sale.....let me at it! Perhaps the balrog is there too?

Yes, I can do a Pettygast post on Sunday, or Monday at the latest if this will work.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:59 PM   #69
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

I have one small suggestion...that a la Bill the Pony, our Wyrm companion is unable to come on this particular journey. He can crop up again on the other side, easy enough.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:51 PM   #70
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Rim, Chrys is already in with us.

You are all welcome to use your imagination for this underground journey. Meet mythical (or Mith-ical, as the case may be) creatures, with or without wings, as you please. Lose your character temporarily if you want, but the only one who will not exit with the group will be Pettygast.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:14 PM   #71
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I'm sorry, but being as dense as I sometimes can be, I was unsure of what the 'ticket garden' was all about, so I came up with my own solution for finding tickets. Please forgive me if I wrecked a complicated set-up.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:15 AM   #72
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

B-W and all, your posts pose no continuity problems so far. This part of our journey is a free-for-all romp, so take the story anywhere you want! Just keep things consistent with previous posts.

Thanks to all for great posts - I'm having fun reading them! Our stay in Topfloorien will be a bit more structured, as we will have an additional player in there, so please contact me if you have any plotting ideas.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:38 PM   #73
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

A slight delay - we will be reaching Topfloorien on Wednesday, so those of you who wish to post underground have another day to do so. If you wish to connect to my post while Pettygast is still with us, do so - Child/Sharon can move her post farther on down if necessary.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:19 PM   #74
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Esty,

Thank you for the reprieve.

Pettygast's creator is nursing a ten-year old daughter who is a bit out of sorts, as she is running a 103 degree fever.

I will indeed erase my save, and take advantage of the extra day to do my post on Tuesday.

sharon
Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #75
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here is the time plan for the next posts, since plot twists necessitate some coordination:

Child/sharon will be posting Pettygast's exit by 6 pm (EST).

I will then post the group's exit from the underground at that time.

Mithadan will post as Gravlox during the evening.

I will post our entrance to Topfloorien tomorrow morning (CET).

Anyone wishing to post underground should do so before 6 pm EST then - thanks!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:41 PM   #76
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I have finished posting and left you folk in a bit of a pickle. I think you will be glad to see your cameo wizard leave town.

I have made reference to cheap replica copies of the one Ring and a used suit of Mithril formerly belonging to the Baggins family. (I couldn't resist!)

In view of the chronology, do I need to edit this, or can I get away with it? Although I must admit, I have a gut feeling that a tale like this really doesn't have a very firm date!

I will edit if needed and substitute earlier treasures.

Pettygast

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #77
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Hmmm...Balrogs have whips and thongs?

I see lots of "fun" that could be had with that.

No wonder balrogs were so cranky. These might be the "treacherous gifts" that Morgoth used to ensnare the balrogs in the first place.

So the next great question of Tolkien scholars everywhere is "Did Balrogs wear thongs?"

This will probably come up again later...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion thread.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 01-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #78
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Sounded like a half-way decent party, anyway.

Good post, COT7A.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #79
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
So the next great question of Tolkien scholars everywhere is "Did Balrogs wear thongs?"
Well now, they're often wearing Speedos. (But the real name is Mr. Earl)
Old 01-29-2003, 06:42 AM   #80
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bird,

I hope not! What have I done? Whips and thongs seemed like such 'nice' accessories for our dear friends.

Sharon