The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2002, 04:44 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Question How do YOU deal out your bones?

If it's possible, I would like to open a little discussion on the subject of member ratings. I would like to know how and why YOU rate people the way you do, whether YOU bother with it at all (why or why not), and whether YOU do it often or not. I would like this to be a civil discussion, pretty please, so if you're tempted to name names, or point fingers, please don't do it here. I am just curious about the psychology behind rating, not about your personal opinions of individual members of this forum. Basically, if you want to post "I HATE YOU & I RATED YOU A 1!!!" in regards to someone, please restrain yourself.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

AAAGGH LUSH I HATE YOU AND IF I HAD THE CHOICE I WOULD RATE YOU A MINUS 2!!!

Just kidding [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I don't dislike ya either.

I don't rate people often. In fact I usually choose not to rate them at all, since I might later feel that I regret rating them so poorly or so high because of the changes people make for better or worse. I don't think the rating under your name really matters anyway, because if someone rates you one bone for some stupid reason (like if you hinted a sarcastic comment at them) then like you're gonna care. Of course, it lets you know how well you're doing at this forum and whether you should change the way you're going.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
Silmaril

I don't rate often either. (Why do we have tha rating, anyway? BW?) I have been rated once - a three bones, so I guess I've said something stupid somewhere... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] but I rate up when someone comes up with really good arguments, and I rate down if people are nasty to/flaming/provoking anyone.

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Well, I rarely ever rate anyone. But I do try to rate the people who post really intelligent things regularly (rarer than it sounds) a five. And I give people ones and twos who post "hee hee, I don't know a thing about LOTR. I just came here because I saw the movie and I am sooo in love with Orlando Bloom." Those people deserve low ratings.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:56 PM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I usually don't make a habit of doing ratings unless someone is extremely irritating or has posted wisely. As some of you have noticed in the past, people come in and join and get rated 5 bones and it's obvious they do not deserve such a rating. I've felt that the rating thing should be for people who have over the 500 posts and can tell who the good and bad posters are instead of 5 bones for drooling over Lijah or Orli, or being a wiseguy.
You asked why they are on here to begin with. The message board came with that feature. And the ratings are not worth worrying about, you can also turn them off in your profile.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:24 PM   #6
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't rate people at all, and I don't allow people to rate me. I find the ratings stupid and pointless, and it's just another way for feelings to be hurt.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:54 PM   #7
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't rate that often either, but when I do, I usually give them a low rate if they are rude and/or inconsiderate, etc; and I rate people high for being polite and/or nice to other members, and I also rate people highly if they make meaningful posts that aren't off-topic.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Personally, I've never rated anyone below a 5, because the people that annoy me I just ignore. A couple of times, I have rated someone a 5 to try to negate unfair low ratings done by someone else.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:45 AM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't rate people very often, but when I do it is either a 1 or a 5. I only rate people that make a strong impression on me. If I notice that I am liking a person's posts (they don't even have to be on topic, I dig a good sense of humor) I'll give them a 5. On the other hand, if I notice that I am disliking everything that I see from somebody then I give them a 1. Annoying signatures can also earn a 1.

For example, I've given Lush a 5, even though a lot of the time she doesn't have anything amazing to say on topic. Mostly I just said that so that I can say "I boned Lush," which I think is the funniest thing ever.

I've given out one bone 9 times, and five bones 18 times.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:09 AM   #10
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I only ever rate people a 4 or 5 and then only if they deserve it. I don't really see the point in rating people 1, you might as well not bother. And it does get annoying when someone new who only writes one line posts gets rated 5 for doing nothing.

Still, I don't get too bothered about whether I get rated or not, I rarely if ever actually bother to look at it.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:53 AM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Shame on you, burrahobbit! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Poor Lush. Abused by a monkey lover.

Anyways, I rate like burra does - seldom, but almost always a 1 or a 5. If someone is in between I don't feel the need to do anything. But when someone is exceptional (or exceptionlly annoying) I rate them.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Quote:
For example, I've given Lush a 5, even though a lot of the time she doesn't have anything amazing to say on topic. Mostly I just said that so that I can say "I boned Lush," which I think is the funniest thing ever.
Burra, you should send out a memo to all my male friends (I'll give your their addresses) titled something along the lines of: "How I Achieved Something That You Losers Never Will."
Ok, now that I am done rolling around on the floor in hysterics (I knew this thread would start trouble; I knew it, I knew it), let me just point out that...nevermind. I don't really have a clever comeback. I can't be clever with a man (monkey lover or not) who draws me a birthday cake on my birthday. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
As for the subject of boning, er, RATING, my pet peeve is when people get rated a 1 for having a different opinion. While rating is everyone's personal right, I don't think it's very cool to rate someone down because you disagree with them on something. Now, if that person is childish and annoying in the process of disagreeing with you, that I can understand. But rating someone a 1 just because "I think Legolas was blond and he doesn't" is silly.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #13
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don´t rate very often, but if I do, then it´s mostly a 1 or 5. 1 if I think the person´s annoying etc., and 5 if I think the person gives good arguments in a discussion or post really good/deep, meaningful postings.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:42 AM   #14
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

I only really rate ppl if Ive had alot to do with them and have seen alot of their posts...or if theyve done something in the RP boards and then not carried it on-that reeeeeeeeeeeally annoys me! I very rarely do tho, and it seems ppl dont like rating me either...*sob*

Ive only ever rated one person 1 bone and that was cos he posted *inappropriate* site addresses on the board. Ive rated about 4 or 5 ppl 5 bones. My most common rating is 4
Old 07-27-2002, 11:45 AM   #15
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also seldom rate, and I only rate 5. If someone annoys me I don't rate them, I just ignore. (even though it is tempting!) I rate 5 if I am in a discussion with someone, and they are good at it. If they post arguments that prove they know what they are talking about, I rate them because I think they deserve it.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:38 PM   #16
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I actually rated about...28 people I guess. I never rated anyone below a 4. If I like what someone had to say, and if they made an impact on me, like burrahobbit said, then I rated them. Or if they were just very polite, friendly, etc. Someone else said that too. Burrahobbit, I can't believe you would say something like that! Wait...yes I can [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 05:27 PM   #17
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I rate people either a one or a five. Hee-hee. I have never rated a two, three, or four.

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 07-27-2002, 05:54 PM   #18
Talking Hawk
Pile O'Bones

Talking Hawk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I find the ratings pretty pointless myself...at least when someone decided to give me a four instead of a five. Hehe! ^^; Anywho, I don't do ratings myself very often. I only give out fives, and only to those I like or am friends with. I don't like giving anything less than a five because I don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt, or their egos to be bruised. If I don't like someone, I just don't bother going to their info pages (where you give them bones, etc.). Also, going back to the five thing, I feel the same way Galadrie1 does - I worry that if I rate them any less than a five, I may regret doing so later. So, I just hand out the fives to those I like...

I'm not going to name any names, but there's an individual that I think is a cool guy - however, I haven't felt the need to give him his five bones as (currently) fifty-seven other people already have. I figure he already knows he's a people person. =) Adios.
Merry shrugged his shoulders. “It could be a love triangle. Like about a week ago, I was in love with Angela AND Estella, but then I decided to break it off with Angela…” He sighed dreamily, but Pippin lifted an eyebrow. “Angela thought your name was Timothy,” he pointed out innocently, and Merry glared at him. “It could happen to anybody…” - Excerpt from my "Three Blind Spies" story (see fanfic section)
Talking Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:45 PM   #19
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I myself have only rated one person on here as I thought they deserved a 5 for holding a deep and incredibily thought provoking discussion (although I realise there is more than one person capable of such on here). It seems I have been rated 5 times though.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:03 PM   #20
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I have a three. I guess no one likes me.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 PM   #21
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

well i have a ...3.38!!!
ok so nobody like me ethier but HAHAHA
i BEAT YOU GIMLI!!!!
ps i boned- er rated 7 people. all 5's. for their sake, and mine, they shall remain anatomous.

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-28-2002, 02:13 PM   #22
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I have a 3.72... those must have been the bad days [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2002, 03:08 PM   #23
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I'm rated a 3.83 ... oh well I don't rate people that often. I don't really see the point in rating to be perfectly honest unless the person has made an intelligent post.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:59 PM   #24
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Hah, whenever I get into a serious discussion concerning the literature, I always get rated down. Since I am usually civil during the discussions, I figure that whoever rates me down does it because he/she doesn't agree with me. Then I go off for a couple of weeks and do nothing but joke around, and sure enough, my rating bounces back up (unless I'm joking about religion or Frodo's sexuality [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ). Coincidence? I think not.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:57 PM   #25
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

WHenever there is a discussion about Harry Pothead- erm, Potter, I get rated down.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:29 PM   #26
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Hmm. I know it wasn't me. I've only rated 3 people.

I don't really pay attention to how it changes or not. It really doesn't matter to me. I post the way I post, and I don't post offensively 92% of the time, so as long as I've got a 3.5 or higher, I am okay.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:44 PM   #27
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Out of 22 ratings, I have a weighted "score" of 3.88, which rounds to a 4. Well, I guess I must have done something right.
Not that my rating matters to me, of course. . .

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #28
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

With 18 votes I've got 4.30. Which just goes to show you, I am awesome. Could be awesomer, though, and I'm working on that. I'm up from a couple days ago.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:08 AM   #29
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Mmm I probably get rated down when I get involved in a Harry Potter thread...at least the last one seems to have died. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Back on topic - have you ever noticed in some people's signatures it says Please rate me? Does anyone ever rate because of this or does it just seem desperate?
Old 07-29-2002, 05:20 AM   #30
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

I only got a 3.12 sob....no-one likes me.
Well, it was actually when I had a barney with someone not to name names, and those people rated me low. I think that's a really spiteful thing to do, I've had an argument with you so I'm going to rate you low.
I don't rate often, except for when I feel that someone has made a good point, or if they are being imagainative in their roleplaying, because I admire good imagination.
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:34 AM   #31
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

White-Hand

Curious, I looked in my profile and saw that I have 57 votes that average to 4.54. That's quite an upswing, considering I was rated FOUR BONES just a few months ago.

I have voted 15 times, 10 of which were 5's, two 3's, and three 1's. I had forgotten about the 3's, but guess I was saying those people were very average. I don't think it was a compliment [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2002, 07:47 AM   #32
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

When it says "please rate me" in people's signatures, I don't do it, unless they have been around for a while and I have a good opinion of them. If someone is asking to be rated, what's the point of rating them down if you don't like them? They'll only be disappointed, and I don't like to disappoint anyone if I don't have to. And, if you don't know them, what's the point of rating them up? They may be the same person who will annoy you to the point of twitching sometime next week.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:51 AM   #33
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

If it says 'Please rate me' in ppl's sigs, it looks really sadly desperate. I mean, rating isn't exactly important.
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #34
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't rate anyone. Mostly because I don't see any point in the rating system. If you feel someone made an excellent post in response to a thread, I feel it is much better to send them a private message telling them such, opposed to using an anonymous rating system. And I strongly agree with Halbereth's statement about those asking to be rated. Although if the ratings were applicable in some sort of tangible way, then I might be motivated to actually rate someone, and would understand people asking to be rated in return.
And to attempt to answer Lush's querry about what the ratings are for, I don't know. I figured BW may have provided an answer, but so far hasn't.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:02 AM   #35
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't rate anyone unless I really like them. And then I always will rate them 5 bones. There has been one exeption to this but I'm not going to name names.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:08 AM   #36
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

i bet it's me.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:20 AM   #37
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Question

You don't require an answer from me, Tarthang. I didn't invent the idea of ratings, and I see no reason to squash them altogether.

The reasons are all of those given above and all of those given (soon) below.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:55 AM   #38
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Well, for me, rating is a chance to show to someone who is either very intelligent or funny or cute, or a combination of the three, how much I like them.
For others, it is also a chance to show someone how much they hate them. I have yet to be so completely annoyed by anyone that I resort to rating them a 1.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:43 PM   #39
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

my rating just dropped to 3.17. how, you poeple must really hate me.
now it's 3.08, WHY DO YOU ALL HATE ME SO MUCH?!

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-29-2002, 04:02 PM   #40
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Arie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well-i don't really rate much-since i don't know the prupose to it-i haven't been rated yet