The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2003, 10:34 AM   #41
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Could the Balrog take the One Ring? For it seems that, apart from the Fellowship wreaking havoc on the surface, it seems that the One Ring called to him... calling his attention, bringing ruin to the Fellowship...

Balrogs are ainu... Even if Sauron was more powerful than a Balrog, a Valaraukar would still be powerful enough to suplant him as the Dark Lord... Dont you think?

And, last but not least... where does the idea of Olorin binding Narya and Glamdring to his spirit? Just because he still had them after he died and came back in Zirak-Zigil?
Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 AM   #42
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I highly doubt that a Balrog would take the One Ring and claim it for itself. More likely it would simply give the Ring to Sauron and reap the benefits of living in a world where evil can run rampant, rather than challenging a much greater power and in doing so taking away strength from the fight against Gondor and the free peoples of Middle Earth.

Quote:
where does the idea of Olorin binding Narya and Glamdring to his spirit?
Agreed. I see no evidence for that. We do not even know with any certainty that Gandalf had Narya with him. My guess is he probably left it in Imladris before setting out with the Fellowship. As for Glamdring, it may be that that is one of Tolkien's 'continuity errors', though I think a more likely explanation is that he used it to battle the Balrog on Zirakzigil. Even though he came back in his second iteration [Gandalf the White] after his duel with the Balrog, he was still physically atop the mountain the whole time.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #43
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not saying Sauron was stupid or weak. Villians often do not know everything, and what they don't know often destroys him. He probably just didn't know his being was pretty much in the Ring. He doensn't know everything. He probably didn't count on the Elves finding that he forged the Ring. So basically, it is quite possible for Sauron to think the Ring, as an inanimate object, can not truly hold a good part of his being. He merely thought he was using a lot of energy.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #44
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well in the Council of Elrond (or somewhere else) they say that until recently Sauron thoguht the Last Alliance HAD destroyed the Ring...

Mind you, he may have simply thoguht that he was wrong in thinking desturction=death, and then when it was refound thought once more that desturction could be fatal.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:26 PM   #45
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Could the Balrog take the One Ring?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #46
Iarhen
Wight

Sting

But why do you think that the Balrog would give up such a thing to Sauron? As far as I remember, even though Sauron was the greatest and must trusted servant of Morgoth, the Balrogs were not under his authority, only under Morgoth's. I dont remember where I read it, but not even Smaug (a lesser creature compared to the Balrog) was under Sauron's authority... Why would a being of equal nature such as the Balrog swear allieagance to Sauron?

Just imagine this: if Gandalf, a maia in a weakened form (because being incarnate and because the power ban that the Valar placed upon him) was the main danger for Sauron in terms of taking the One Ring and replacing him as a Dark Lord, why wouldnt a Balrog, a powerful ainu in all of his might, take the Ring and more easily supplant Sauron?

And, lets not forget that the One Ring had a lot of Sauron's original power in it... The Balrog plus that extra power, and the command of the Nazgul and all that was built under the One Ring's power... My guess is that Sauron would not last an instant against the Balrog with the One Ring on...
Old 12-13-2003, 07:47 PM   #47
Iarhen
Wight

Silmaril

And another question... where is it said that Gandalf left Narya in Rivendell? I thought that he wore it all the way until the Gray Havens... didn't he?
Old 12-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #48
Secret Fire
Animated Skeleton

Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Secret Fire
Sting

Quote:
And another question... where is it said that Gandalf left Narya in Rivendell? I thought that he wore it all the way until the Gray Havens... didn't he?
Easy, a couple of posts up [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] . Gandalf, I believe, bore it from teh point where Cirdan gave it to him on. Galadriel says that the rings did much good in secret, and since they were all being used, why would Gandalf leave it. As for how he still had it after being sent back, easy, Gandalf neveractually left the top of the mountain, but was physically there with them.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:32 AM   #49
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

ya i think that balrog could take the ring for his one but i think he would not be strong enough to defeat the dark lord in one -on-one combat

so he would probabaly give the ring to sauron and live in an evil world in darkness
Old 02-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #50
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its the same idea as the Feanor story. In the mind of the creator (subcreator), losing what one has made is the last thing on ones mind. The drama happens in the loosing, and the attempt to regain it.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote