The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Moria after the War of the Ring

I only have the trilogy and the Silmarillion to go on but I can't find anything to tell what happened with Moria after the War of the Ring. Was it retaken by the dwarves or was it forever a orc haven?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We do know that the reforging of the gate of Minas Tirith would have needed quite a lot of mithril. However, the LotR Epilogue is again our best guess. These are Sam's notes on Frodo-lad's question:

"Moria: I have heard no news. Maybe the foretelling about Durin is not for our time. [i.e. that he shall wake again from sleep] Dark places still need a lot of cleaning up. I guess it will take a lot of trouble and daring deeds yet to root out the evil creatures from the halls of Moria. For there are certainly plenty of Orcs left in such places. It is not likely that we shall ever get quite rid of them." (HoME IX, xi)

Perhaps expeditions similar to Balin's, heavily armed, and only undertaken to get mithril and other treasures, were carried out.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legend has it that the Seventh and last incarntion of Durin, will be born (Grandson of Dain II) and for a while, the Longbeard Dwarves will prosper. It may be that Gimli's group from Erebor who resided in Helm's Deep will join them too, though we don't hear of a seventh Durin before Gimli's leaving M-E in F.A 119 ,some one can presume that Durin VII was born or entered Moria after his departure.

Quote:
And the line of Dain prospered and the wealth and renown of the kingship was renewed, until their rose again for a time and heir of the house that bore the name of Durin and he returned to Moria; and there was light again in the deep places and the ringing of hammers, and harping of harps, until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended
Making of Appendix A; HoME 12

It was ineviatble, of course that the Dwarves would want to re-populate Khazad-dum:

Quote:
'It was now many years ago' said Gloin 'that a shadow of disquiet fell on our people. Whence it came we did not at first percieve. Words began to be whispered in secret: it was said we were hemmed in a narrow place, and that greater wealth and splendour would be found in a wider world. Some spoke of Moria, the mighty works of our fathers that are in our tounge called Khazad-dum; and they declared that now at last we had the power and numbers to return
Council of Elrond

Quote:
You will not enter Khazad-dum. Only I have looked through the shadow of the gate. Beyond the shadow it waits for you still [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]urin's Bane. The world must change and some greater power then ours before Durin's falk walk again in Moria
Appendix A

(Dain to Thrain)

What was this 'greater power'? Gandalf of course! And since these words may have been well-known amongst dwarves (Gimli evidently knew of this prophecy since her wrote a lot of 'Durin's Folk'but sadly some didn't follow his advice.

Also, with note to Sharku's quote from the Epilouge, the notes in the appendix were made in a latter date and a lot of the theories given by Sam to his children were dropped or changed so I think Sam's words ' It is not likely that we shall ever get quite rid of them.' maybe be void, but then again their may have been some Orks still in Moria, and Sam doesrefer to Durin VII [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I started this same thread about a month and a half ago. Someone had some really good source material and quotes explaining it...but i am in a hurry and do not have time to find the link for you.

~Namarie~
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:21 AM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Someone had some really good source material and quotes explaining
Just like to point out that most/all the sources on Moria in the F.A/Durin VII are given here, eiether in the actual Appendix A or the Making of Appendix A (HoME 12) or in the Epilouge (HoME 9)which was unpublished. Tolkien only ever mentions Durin VII in the Epilouge and Appendix A.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, the thread tinewelt means doesn't have anything more.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

thank you for pointing that out. I did not really read every post to see if someone had posted the same material. I was in a hurry and just left a quick note. The same quote is in this thread also.

~Namarie~
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote