The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Sam (Sean Astin)**

What do you think of Sam's role and Astin's acting in the third movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What? I beat Samwise to the punch? Sean Astin was and always will be the perfect Samwise. P.J. never did a better day's work than when he cast Mr. Astin for that role.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I thought Sam was tremendous. I didn't really like the part where he punched Gollum in the face, seemed a little off-character to me (although someone may well refute that with a quote from the book! )<P>Overall, good. I am glad they got the line in about carrying Mr. Frodo. And his wedding was really nice!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*standing ovation* Well done!!! Bravo!!!<P>I think for me, the one thing they could have really done that would have ruined everything is if they had screwed up Sam Gamgee. He's always been my favourite character and I think if they had cast someone who didn't do a good job, I would have cried. Fortunately, they cast Sean Astin, who was an absolutely fabulous Sam and has earned my eternal love and respect.<P>I thought the way they portrayed him was excellent. I felt awful for him when Gollum betrayed him and Frodo told him to go home. Poor Sam! I've read posts that say it's unrealistic that Sam lasted so long against Shelob or uncharacteristic of him to punch Gollum in the face (although I'm not a violent type of person, and God knows I wanted to!), and that might be true, but I prefer to think of it as a symptom of Sam's unwavering loyalty - he finds his courage and acts in ways that are counter to his normal hobbitlike behaviour because he's so loyal to Frodo. After the ring was destroyed, when he gave that little speech about Rose Cotton dancing with ribbons in her hair and how if he'd ever got married, it would be to her, it pretty much broke my heart, it was so sweet! And at the end, when he ends up happily married to Rosie (and his daughter looks just like my cousin!) I was smiling so hard my face hurt. I think it's so great, and so hard to pull off, when a performance makes you identify entirely with a character and really feel for him. <P>So once again, a standing ovation for a great portrayal of a great character.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam was awesome! P. Jackson really did the best thing possible by casting Sean Astin as Sam; he portrays him so well! I liked Sam before but never really felt a deep liking to him. This movie has changed that! I would have to say that Sam is now one of my favorite characters. I'm still in awe!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Oh, I couldn't have asked for a better portrayal of Sam in this movie even if I tried! <P>Sean Astin was <B>perfect</B> and I know see why JRD has been campaigning for him to get the Oscar! He absolutely broke my heart more than once during this movie and when Sam cried after Frodo told him to go home - well let's just say I wanted nothing more than to hug my favorite Hobbit!<P>I was so happy to see they ended it the movie with <I>"Well, I'm back..."</I>!
Old 12-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried more during Sam's scenes than I did during anyone else's. Carrying Frodo up the mountain, the line after the destruction of the Ring about marrying Rosie, his facial expressions at the Grey Havens, and, of course, "Well, I'm back." Actually, I think I cried more when he said that--"Well, I'm back"--than I cried at anything else. I was so happy that they kept that line.<P>Sam was my favorite character in the books, and I was terribly afraid that they wouldn't get him right, but as soon as I saw Sean Astin in <I>Fellowship</I> I knew we had a first-rate Samwise Gamgee on our hands. He hasn't let me down. Way to go, Sean.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I actually preferred Sean Astin in RotK to book Sam! *gasp*<BR>I always found book Sam a bit cloying, I don't know why. But in this film, Astin gave him a great deal of dignity, much more so than in the first two films.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
1420!

I loved Sam, his character was perfect. Hopefully the movie fans who see him as "the fat gay hobbit" (I do know a few who think that, unfortunately) will shed that opinion of him after they see this movie. Sam was a friend in the truest, purest sense and gave the impression that he not only stood by his promise to Gandalf to never leave Frodo's side, but also stood by his heart. And yes, seeing his wedding was a very nice thing- we at least got to see one of the weddings!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Thumbs up

I think Sean Astin delivered the best performance of them all, frankly. Yes, the plot and action and everything made everyone lovable and awesome. But Sean Astin captured the perfect spirit of Sam, devoted, loyal, indomitable. His lines, the way he delivered them, especially "I can't carry It for you, but I can carry you!" Absolutely amazing. He should win Best Supporting Actor.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #11
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

two words: this was sams movie. OK that was 4 but its all good. He showed so much couargae in every scene he did. They did everything right when they cast him as Sam. Without Sean, sam would have sucked. I know that is kindof harsh. But at the fields of Cormallen, when everyone is seeing Frodo and there is Sam. There is like an unspoken bond between them. He just smiles. Eventhough i am a guy, a teenage on at that, I almost cried at that scene. He deserves that Oscar. LEt me rephrase that. He <B>needs</B> that oscar.<p>[ 11:13 PM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Alcarin ]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:17 PM   #12
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Orual writes: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Carrying Frodo up the mountain, the line after the destruction of the Ring about marrying Rosie, his facial expressions at the Grey Havens, and, of course, "Well, I'm back." Actually, I think I cried more when he said that--"Well, I'm back"--than I cried at anything else. I was so happy that they kept that line. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That pretty much says it all for me, too. I've been reading LotR again to prepare for the movie today, and Sam has become my new favorite character. Sean Astin was best performance in TT, and I think he captured Sam's character from the book as well or better than anyone else did theirs, although there are two or three contenders (Saruman/Lee, Merry & Pippin/Monaghan & Boyd, and, of course, Gollum/Serkis/renderers).<P>I thank him, and, I thank Jackson, Walsh, & Boyens for allowing Sam to come through so well. He is essential to the heart and meaning of the story. I just can't see anyone else in the part, and I treasure Astin's gift of Sam to me.<p>[ 12:21 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: dininziliel ]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:28 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam was wonderful! I felt so sorry for the poor guy when he was told to go home. That was one of the most emotional parts of the movie for me. Just that look on his face, and the tears. It was like a child who was told by their parent that they are not loved anymore. But of course he could not go home, he has to stay with Mr. Frodo. Continued excellence by Mr. Astin I say! <P>Oh, and I absolutely loved his clothing at the end of the movie, so refined
Old 12-18-2003, 01:28 AM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I just about cheered when he talked about Rosie "dancing with ribbons in her hair". Frodo's reaction to it was so sweet. *sob* This was great. All the hobbits were great. Sam was awesome, Sean Astin is amazing, I'm so glad they cast an actor who understands Sam's role so well, to the point of contesting PJ's Bashkish inclinations (as interviews and such have documented). This movie could almost be called:<P><B>The Lord of the Rings: The Courage of Master Samwise</B><P> <P>The one thing I didn't like was that Sam actually went all that way down the stairs before deciding to hell with what Mr. Frodo <I>said</I>.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:30 AM   #15
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sean Astin was just Sam in this movie. He really was him, not an actor playing the role. nope. Just Sam. He is the hero of RotK.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #16
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I couldn't hardly sleep last night thinking of RoTK - this movie was <B>wonderful</B> and I am still amazed at Sean Astin in this movie! <P>Oh he deserves to be nominated for the Academy Award in the best way!<P>One of the parts I keep thinking of is when Frodo told Sam to go home - I tell you I had no doubts that Sam's heart had been broken right then and there he cried so pitifully!<P><I>*sighs*</I><P>I wish I had some fellow Ringers in my house to discuss the movie with - but alas I don't as I am the only fan in this house!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #17
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't cry at any of the parts that I thought would get me (Grey Havens, crowning the King) but Sam's reaction to being told to "go home" broke my heart. Sean Astin did that scene so beautifully...made me cry like a baby.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:07 PM   #18
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Sean Astin did a great job in the first two movies, but in this one he pulled out all the stops and went for it. His raw emotion was just out there for everyone to see. What a courageous performance; he held nothing back. He definitely deserves an oscar nomination.<P>-Lily
Old 12-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The thing I was probably looking foward to most in this film was Sean Astin's performance, and he did not disappoint! Every line he delivered from the book was exactly as I'd imagined it, and as I thought, my tears were heavy when he asked Mr. Frodo not to go where he couldn't follow. All my patience was rewarded in that one scene alone. I can't say enough about his performance, Sam truly is the hero of this film. My Mom's been a Samwise fan ever since the first film, and she's sold out now That from her being pretty much a non-fan, too! <P>Thank you Sean

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I wish I had some fellow Ringers in my house to discuss the movie with - but alas I don't as I am the only fan in this house!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What do you think you have us for?!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Sean Astin was so good in just "being" Sam, that I felt the same emotions that he was feeling. I was angry along with Sam, I wept along with Sam, and I was happy along with Sam. I'll never be able to look at Sean Astin again, without thinking, "There is Samwise Gamgee, Hobbit of the Shire."
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #22
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Sean Astin did a GREAT job as Samwise Gamgee. I thought he was the best done hobbit of them all. I really felt for him throughout the movie.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #23
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

You know I seriously wish I knew a way to influence the folks at the Academy Awards as I really want to see Sean Astin get nominated/win for his performance in RoTK - to say nothing about wanting to see RoTK get nominated/win for Best Picture, PJ nominated/win for Best Director!<P>It has been two days since I saw RoTK and it is still heavily on my mind! I just can't get over how <B>GREAT</B> this movie turned out to be!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Alright, so I agree with everything everyone's said. How could I not? I love Sam, and Sean, his performance was just so great. He almost made me cry at least twice, and then I did cry at the end. I started tearing up when they returned to the Shire, and then at the Grey Havens, and by the time it was "Well, I'm back", I was full-fledged crying! He did that line (and all of his lines) so well. And just for the record, ROTK is the first movie I've ever cried in. I think I can rightly say I owe it to Sean. I read in an interview that the best work he's ever done in his life is in ROTK- he's right. I enjoyed all of the Sam-Frodo scenes because of this. <P>I truly hope Sean Astin wins Best Supporting Actor, or even Best Actor- he deserves it. But I doubt he will, seeing as the Academy's biased and all that. But even a nomination would be nice.<P>Lily's right, he gave an extremely courageous performance. I don't think any other LOTR actor became their character so well.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #25
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Perfect, just perfect.<BR>Sean Astin just went to such emotional places that are extremely difficult for actors to reach. Not a single tear shed seemed forced... he was so true to the character and the moment that it just breaks your heart to watch him suffer, and it makes you cheer when he steps up to save the day.<BR>I am so grateful for the casting in the role of Samwise... I can't imagine anyone else taking it to such an honest place.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 AM   #26
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The one thing I didn't like was that Sam actually went all that way down the stairs before deciding to hell with what Mr. Frodo said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This was my thought as well, <B>Diamond</B>! I alternated between being mad at Sam for actually going to being mad at Frodo for being so blind to forgiving Sam when I saw what Frodo's words did to him and then forgiving Frodo when I saw the horror he had to face in Shelob's Lair and his keen awareness that he was ALL ALONE and so was Sam beneath him on the Stairs...a wrenching passage indeed! It did not make me cry, but it did evoke some real polar responses!<P>There is absolutely no doubt in my mind (as if there ever was!) that Sean Astin IS Samwise Gamgee. If they were ever separate, they've merged forever now! And although I don't give a fig for awards, they could do a lot worse than giving the laurels to Sam, uh, I mean Sean! <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #27
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Sean Astin was the best possible actor for Sam Gamgee in the trilogy. When he and Frodo are near teh cracks of Doom, you can see the emotion in his eyes. He brought Sam to life, and it was the only thing good thing that P.J. did in the whole trilogy!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:43 AM   #28
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Three cheers for Samwise Gamgee! Hurah! Hurah! Hurah! Three cheers for Sean Astin! Hurah! Hurah! Hurah! I especially loved this line- "Wake up Mr. Frodo. Don't go where I can't follow." *Snif*
Old 12-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #29
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

He was fantastic. That's all I have to say. Note-perfect.<P>Diamond and Lyta - well, yes, he shouldn't have left. But he didn't go down *all* those stairs exactly voluntarily . (Was I the only one who thought it was suicidally rash to be walking DOWN those stairs upright. Turning around and crawling down feet-first would seem a lot more instinctual to me).
Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #30
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> (Was I the only one who thought it was suicidally rash to be walking DOWN those stairs upright. Turning around and crawling down feet-first would seem a lot more instinctual to me).<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too. I think that was more than a little dangerous. But as to being suicidally rash... it's not unlikely, indeed it's rather likely. Perhaps not so likely as after Shelob's Lair, but still. Like in the Choices of Master Samwise (one of my favorite chapters).... you most likely know the part I'm talking about. I hope they expand on that in the EE, but somehow I doubt it.<P>As much as Sean <B>is</B> Sam (to the point that I basically see him as my Sam, the one in my version of LOTR that I see when I read the books, and I'm perfectly fine with that, especially since he looks so much like Sam anyway), do you think he feels like it? Would he have absorbed the character to the extent that he just walks around feeling Samwise-y? It seems like it, but maybe he was sort of that way already.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #31
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Well who would I be if I were to break the trend...I agree Sean Astin did an awesome job with Sam. Everything he says is just so believable. It's so easy to get lost in the story when Sean is in the scene. Like many before me said, the scene when Frodo tells Sam to go home is just heartbreaking. And when Sam talks about Rosie, I can't help but lose it. I'm so glad Peter put in "Well, I'm back." Sean did a great good; with him I never stop and think how he's acting, I just believe it. He IS Sam.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:47 PM   #32
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The way he acted in that movie made the audience themselves <I>feel</I> every emotion that he felt. I loved the part at the end, where he kisses Rosie, and then turns and smiles radiantly at all the people at the wedding. After witnessing all his travails in the beginning, I nearly shed tears of joy when I saw that. His eyes dancing and sparkling with 100% happiness, and the fact that all of his wishes finally came true really really touched me. I could feel a glow start up inside me when I looked into his glowing eyes. It was just so amazing!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:23 PM   #33
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Sean Astin's performance in this film was undoubtedly an incredible tour-de-force. He has been great in both of the preceeding films, but he really turned it up a notch in this one.<P>One moment that I don't think has so far been mentioned so far is when Frodo is asking him to give the Ring back in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. Sean Astin's face, as Frodo insistently demands the return of the Ring, speaks volumes. He manages to combine being upset at Frodo's harsh tone and sense of desperation with (for me) a genuine sense of hesitation, portraying vividly the hold that the Ring takes over its bearer.<P>Tolkien's view that Sam is the true hero of the story shines out in Astin's performance.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:54 PM   #34
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

While not quite my view of Samwise, Sean Astin was perfect for Sam. My thanks to PJ and all involved in casting this wonderful actor.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM   #35
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Perfect, just perfect.<BR>Sean Astin just went to such emotional places that are extremely difficult for actors to reach. Not a single tear shed seemed forced... he was so true to the character and the moment that it just breaks your heart to watch him suffer, and it makes you cheer when he steps up to save the day.<BR>I am so grateful for the casting in the role of Samwise... I can't imagine anyone else taking it to such an honest place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ITA - I saw RoTK again tonight and <B>blast</B> if I did not cry again at all those parts where I cried before! I cannot say this enough - Sean <B>really really REALLY</B> touched me with his performance in RoTK! <P>As so many on this thread have said already Sean <B>IS</B> Samwise Gamgee as none of the things Sam said or did felt forced and with his performance in this movie you <I>live</I>and <I>feel</I> everything Sam does!<P>No, PJ could not have found anyone better to play Sam because truly while watching this movie I <I>knew</I> I was watching the Samwise Gamgee I have read about and have loved from the books!<P>Bravo to Sean!<p>[ 2:32 AM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM   #36
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

With all the above, yes, agreed. Astin WAS Sam. <P>Movie Sam WAS Tolkien's Sam. Jackson was at his best in portraying what Tolkien already portrayed best.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 AM   #37
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think Sean astin's acting was very strong in ROTK. I truly love the fact the they used the line "Well, I'm back" because that somehow made the movie complete. Or at least the theatrical version. LOTR is not finished till the EE comes out!<BR>Sean Astin really put it together well. When he carries Frodo it looks so desperate like it truly is. Because at the end Frodo and Sam are desperate to get rid of the ring although it is only frodo who is carrying it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #38
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone I'm new and I thought I'd start here because Sam's been one of my favorite fictional characters since I was eight. <BR>I think what is so great about Sean Astin's performance is that, where the script allows it, watcing him feels like reading the book. When you read about Sam in the the books (especially ROTK) the last boundries between reality and Middle Earth are broken, and you ARE the character. I think watching Sean Astin is kind of like that. It seems like he really believes he is Sam. <BR>My only complaint is that they don't stress the fact that Sam was a ring bearer, that the ring did tempt him, and he overcame. I think PJ wanted to surprise us, but I would have rather seen the crumbling of the Watchers. I'm willing to forgive, though, since they kept "Well, I'm back". The one line in any book or movie that has managed to make me cry.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:34 AM   #39
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think watching Sean Astin is kind of like that. It seems like he really believes he is Sam. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Welcome, <B>Teleri</B>! And I have no doubt that Sean and Sam are one in this realm! There is no doubt in my mind that Sean <I>became</I> Sam and, now that he has finished playing the role, it is part of him forever. Sean will <I>always</I> be Sam in this way to me. I, like you, would have liked to see the Watchers sequence and also to see Sam struggling with the Ring, rather than having it as a big surprise when Frodo tells him "they took the Ring!" To me, the handling of this issue weakened both Sam's fight against the Ring's power and Frodo's deep despair at the loss of it (although there was a nod to this, but not as much as I internalized it when reading, but that's probably just me--I fall into Frodo's point of view a lot). <P>One other thing I wanted to mention after this, my third viewing of the film, was an obtrusive part that finally made me realize <I>why</I> I found it obtrusive. Right after Frodo's "naked in the dark" speech, Sam tells Frodo he can't carry the Ring for him, but he can carry <I>him</I>. At this moment, the music swells so much that it becomes intrusive and this simple moment where Sam really shines becomes what I like to call an "obvious Oscar moment." It is like PJ is saying, "look at Sean Astin in his finest moment!" at that instant. It detracts from the experience and becomes a moment from "The Player," where one steps outside the story and realizes it is a film again and that it is a device in use to create a "moment." And this right after one of the most revealing looks into Frodo's soul in the entire series, one that put me squarely into the mind of Samwise, catching a glimpse of the depth of Frodo's struggle. I don't know if this is just an instance of the moment striking me oddly or if this is an experience anyone else shares. I just wanted to throw it out there, though. Sean shines through in the scene, but I think the music was overdone and it somehow takes away from Sam's effect here for me.<P>And now I say goodnight! <BR>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 AM   #40
Reg Pither
Pile O'Bones

Reg Pither has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm.... yes and no, for me.<P>Sam's always been my favourite character in LotR as he is the real hero of the book. I was disappointed with PJ's version of him in the movies, but then, I feel all the film characters are mere shadows of Tolkien's originals. Having said that, yes, Sam in RotK finally starts to become the Sam of the book, and one of the best portrayals in the films. I even had to wipe away a tear when he was facing Shelob and then again when he carried Frodo. But I don't think that Sean Astin was particularly amazing - given the source material, how could anyone possibly have done a bad job? In fact, I would think that a more accomplished actor sticking closer to the original could have been even better.<P>Sorry to be the fly in the ointment here, but it's just my humble opinion, for what it's worth...
Reg Pither is offline   Reply With Quote