The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How are YOU related to the making of LOTR?

Like the title says how are you related to the making of LOTR movies?
I am in 2 ways...
-At my teachers wedding one of the guys who was doing the music had played in the orchestra for LOTR and Peter jackson was watching the music being made!
-My rival school, MLC is where Cate Blanchett went to.

Oh and there's a way I'm linked to Sean Astin, very weird but:
My mum's friend is the mother of Adam Clayton (Bass guitarist of U2!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) and U2 were at the Golden Globe Awards where Sean Astin was (I know this because I saw him on TV although I didn't see any of the others [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img])
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

My friend's mum's friend's daughter was the putter-on of the hobbit feet on the four major hobbits!!! Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and I live in NZ, the country where it was filmed. Only I don't live a filmed place.

~ Elentari (aka Bekah)
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:11 PM   #3
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of my favorite teachers knows Elijah Wood (I forget how...I think he is her daughter's friend) and he was going to come visit out class, but something happened with the train...
Old 01-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

This reminds me of the Kevin Bacon game [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, let's see.
Elijah Wood attended my sister's band's concert (and he owns their CD!) in VanCouver when he was filming Try Seventeen up there. He bought their lead singer a drink.
He is also a big fan of my sister's boyfriend's band (he mentions them in articles) & he has met Julian Casblancas of the Strokes... who I have also met and conversed with a couple of times.

My sister is also friends with someone who is in a band from New Zealand, called The Datsuns, and his dad worked with the horses for the film.

One of my friends was in High Fidelity with Jack Black, who did the spoof of LOTR on MTV (which also links back to my sister's boyfriend...), and Kelly Osbourn performed at the awards as well and Elijah Wood was on The Osbournes

My sister's boyfriend just shot a movie with Jude Law in it & he was in Wilde with Orlando Bloom... and he also connects with Cate Blanchett from The Talented Mr.Ripley

Wow, I never thought I could do so many of these. I'd better stop!
This game could go on forever for me!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of my dads friends in Glasgow used to teach Billy Boyde!
Old 01-22-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tigerlily, I wish I had all those connections! Wow, that is kind of cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I don't have any connections like that, but I did get to meet Ian McKellen while he was in Seattle, he was a very nice man, and he is very good to his fans. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I guess you could call that a connection, maybe.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Pipe

one of my relatives met tolkien cuz they both lived in england and were good friends! i thought that was neat, but i never asked him about the books because i haven't seen him for a while.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I must admit I don't have any connections like that. However, since these movies were done on such a large scale any one of us could be connected to it and not know it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 11:34 PM   #9
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This isn't fair.....my dad is a director, and I still am not connected to the LotR movie, except very vaguely...

I did get to meet the Power Rangers once when I was still obsessed with them (hey, I was only in kindergarten or something!!) but that's cause my dad director Power Rangers...

Isn't fair...

Hey, then again, maybe one of my obscure cousin's best friend's uncle's daughter's godmother's neice was related somehow...

Wouldn't it be really funny if one of the actors or something like that was reading this thread?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:09 AM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aye! Well, I'm sort of related...not really...I'm part Scottish...heh heh...Billy Boyd is my fav dude! But wouldn't that be hilarious if one of us turned out to be one of the actor's nieces or nephews or cousins or something like that? GAWD that would be awesome!!!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #11
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

One of my teachers knows the guy that was in charge of the sword making for LOTR...

I know someone who's singing teacher is apparantly quite good friends with Orlando Bloom, but I don't believe that.

I know 4 people who've met Billy Boyd- he's in my city at the moment- but I keep missing him!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I was actually in the same building, on the same day, with the same person as him......but unfortunatly I was there like four hours earlier.....Soo annoying! It was for a premier of his new film, and the woman who helps at my film group-thing was there with him, and she was talking to him!!! Arghhhhh!!!! I could've gone.

Sorry, just letting off steam. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lossentilien ]
Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannûnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

A really good friend of mine who happens to be from New Zealand came to watch both movies with me. She was delighted when she spotted that she used to fish in the lake shown just before the Warg attack in TTT.
Perhaps somebody should tell Gollum.
Dimannûnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hmmm...let me see if I can do it...

My neighbor was in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" on Broadway, which Ernie Sabella was in. Ernie Sabella was in "Mouse Hunt" with Christopher Walken, who was in "Blast from the Past" with Brendan Fraser. Brendan Fraser was in "With Honors" with Joe Pesci, who was in "Home Alone" with Macauley Caulkin. Finally, Macauley Caulkin was in "The Good Son" with Elijah Wood, who was, of course, Frodo Baggins! Ha! I knew I could do it!

Beat that "Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon"!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #14
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

How bout this?

I go to a forum where the people I talk to have connections to the movie.

LOL! We could all claim to that one!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #15
Phanatik

Pipe

Well, I know a kid who said his cousin was a camera man in it. But I'm not sure how I can reall y believe the kid. Oh well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 12:17 AM   #16
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Okay, now I think I remember more!!

Well, I've been to Rivendell/the Ford (if you want him etc.)/Fords of Isen/Anduin...seriously, I've taken photos!

And my relative, I'm not quite sure how she's related to me, but I do know she's on Mum's side...long story...and anyway she's one of the courtiers at Rohan!! Only she said that it didn't matter if I didn't notice her as she looked totally different after the make-up and so on...she got picked 'cos the LOTR movie people wanted someone who was old but fit, and they went to older people's fitness centres...and Dorothy fitted the bill! Along with others, of course...

Does anyone else live in NZ?

I'm part Scottish, too...might be quarter blood or I might be half, I'm not sure which. One quarter is assorted bloods (Welsh, English, French etc.) and the other half/quarter is Irish! Not that anyone really cares, do they...
Old 01-24-2003, 02:29 AM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My aunt interviewed the cast when they were here for FOTR and those who were here for TTT. My aunt is an entertainment reporter here.. Does that count??

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:39 AM   #18
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
What a great idea, well here goes...
a) I live in New Zealand/Aotearoa...
b) I also live in Wellington which is where PJ lives...
c) My aunt was one of the Rohirrim-she's walking next to Viggo Mortenson, and she bumped into him...on purpose...
d) My teacher's brother was an elf...
e) My mum's friend's sister helped design the costumes...
these don't really have much to do with the movie but...
f) I went to the TTT stamp launch...
g) I went to the TTT Premire street party...
h) I have Elijah Wood, Peter Jackson, Karl Urban and Alan Lee's autographs...
i) I shook PJ's hand...
j) Elijah Wood HUGGED me!!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
AND I'M NOT JOKING!!!!!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #19
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm Dutch and it was a Dutchman (Abel Tasman) who was the first European to dicover New Zealand, and New zealand was of course the place where LotR was filmed.

I don't think I am in any other way related to any part of the making of LotR.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:38 PM   #20
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ooh...Morgul Queen, yay!!! Somebody else lives in New Zealand aside from me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elijah Wood hugged you?!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

And you have all those autographs?!? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Oh, well, on second thoughts, they're only human beings...(who are also known throughout the world [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

I do not live in a filmed city, so now I think I'm going to creep away and cry. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Hang on! My brother has kindly reminded me that I've seen the forest where Boromir chased Frodo!!!! In Waiterere. Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
We have two friends who have their cabins there.

~ Elentari
Old 01-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #21
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

My friend's sister was Cate Blanchett's body double for FOTR. She never had to do anything though, so she just got paid lots of money to dress like Cate Blanchett and party with all the actors and actresses.

Now this'll be a really really wierd one:

My second cousin used to live in NZ way-back-when and he met this girl who took him to a film viewing which turned out to be PJ's first movie..."Bad Taste". So after the film, my cousin is talking to this girl and ranting about how bad the movie is when PJ comes up to him and says "So you didn't like my movie?" and laughs maniacally. Anyways, they had a conversation for a while. The next day, my cousin goes to this girl's farm for the day. At supper, some other people come over and PJ is one of them! So my second cousin ended hanging out with him again! I always found that so funny because my second cousin is utterly bored by the movies. He didn't even know he knew PJ until he was reading an Entertainment magazine while getting a haircut and saw PJ's picture in the mag! He remembered him since he was always freaked out by PJ.

Now is that bizarre or what?!?!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 02:21 PM   #22
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh I forgot one. My friend's sister's friend is living and working in Vancouver. She works at Starbucks and Elijah Wood came in there one day to buy a coffee. I guess he was there shooting a movie.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #23
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When my mom was younger, she worked in a natural foods place that Steve Tyler (Liv Tyler's dad) went to, and even helped him find stuff a couple of times. I don't know if this really counts though.

~Hirilaelin
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #24
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I wish I had all the connections you guys do.

Let's see....

I live in Boise, Idaho, where Sean Astin visited multiple times (His mom, Patty Duke lives in Idaho and also visited Boise recently). The last time he came here was to support the democrats in Idaho (which we seem to lack in). Unfortunately, I haven't met Sean.

Also, I was told that Viggo Mortensen has a home in Sun Valley. I go to Sun Valley almost every year (where I've seen Demi Moore and Arnold S., but that's another story), but unfortunately I have yet to see Viggo. Perhaps I saw him and didn't know it. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #25
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Wouldn't it be really funny if one of the actors or something like that was reading this thread?
I am.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #26
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

Quote:
I am.
And who are you?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 AM   #27
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*throws up her hands* that would be right... a celebrity on the barrowdowns...!!!!.... YEAH WHO ARE YOU!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #28
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think I quite possibly have the vaguest connection of them all. I live in Norway, also know as the middle of nowhere, and therefore have no connections whatsoever. But I could still find one connection to the Lotr movies.
Orlando Bloom was in Black Hawk Down. So was Ewan McGregor, who also was in Starwars. One of the Starwars-episodes (ep V to be accurate), was shot partly in Norway. I live in Norway. So there you go. One very vague connection. I'll think of more soon enough. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:20 PM   #29
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
My neighbor was in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" on Broadway, which Ernie Sabella was in. Ernie Sabella was in "Mouse Hunt" with Christopher Walken, who was in "Blast from the Past" with Brendan Fraser. Brendan Fraser was in "With Honors" with Joe Pesci, who was in "Home Alone" with Macauley Caulkin. Finally, Macauley Caulkin was in "The Good Son" with Elijah Wood, who was, of course, Frodo Baggins! Ha! I knew I could do it!
Easier one:

Quote:
My neighbor was in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" on Broadway, which Ernie Sabella was in. Ernie Sabella was in "Mouse Hunt" with Christopher Walken
...who was in "The Prophesy" with Viggo Mortensen! There! He's nearly my brother, then! Haha...I wish...

Quote:
But I love you more than Jesus!
(Viggo Mortensen in "The Prophesy" playing The Devil)
[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #30
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Right, the most dull connection possible because I have none other: I live in England, so did Tolkien.

There, plain, straitforward and totally uninteresting!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #31
luin'loki
Animated Skeleton

luin'loki has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well so do i. i am scottish, so is boyd. i am english, so is orlando, i think elijah and sean. and as that one person said, it was a european explorer who discovered new zealand. i am pure european!! and also proud of bein' blonde! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
luin'loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #32
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

This is pretty unrelated, but...welcome, Luin'loki!

~ Elentari
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #33
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Oh, a new one: I've met the author Knut Nærum, who has been on the talkshow 'Først og Sist' with Fredrik Skavlan a couple of times. Fredrik Skavlan went to the Oscars to cover the ceremony last year, when Elling was nominated. At the Oscars, of course, there were FotR actors.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #34
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Yet another one:
My stepmother's sister-in-law has a friend in Newcastle. Sting was born in Newcastle. Sting was at 'America - a tribute to heroes'. So was Nicole Kidman, who was in 'Portrait of a Lady with Viggo. And in Moulin Rouge with Ewan, who was in Black Hawk Down with Orli. Wow, I am well connected [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 01-30-2003, 07:42 PM   #35
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I am not related to the movies at all!!!!(i think) Im so jealous of all of you!!!I would love to meet Billy Boyd! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #36
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I am not related to the movies at all!!!!(i think) Im so jealous of all of you!!!I would love to meet Billy Boyd! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 08:23 PM   #37
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And who are you?
I am Hyarmenion Corintur Golladan. If you can translate it, you'll know. By the way, I'm not an actor in LotR, but I am famous... In my own way...

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Lindolirian ]
Old 01-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #38
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

unfortuneatly, the biggest town I live anywhere close to is Indianapolis, so if the people in LOTR ever even come to boring Indiana, it'll be there, though I'd undoubtably miss it if it were during swim season, the coaches don't let you miss practice for anything that's not school related. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

oh wait I just though of something, there's a guy that works at Applebee's that looks exactly like Elijah Wood, except he's a bit thinner.

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Maylin ]
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:56 PM   #39
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

OK, Lindolirian... this is what I have come up with, but some may be wrong, because I am at a loss.

Hyarmenion Corintur Gollodan:
Hyarmen=south
ion=male suffix
Cor=ring
in=of the
tur=master
Gollo=cloak
dan=man

So, what I have is something like "cloak man of the south, master of the ring"... am I waaay off or not?
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:11 PM   #40
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Let's see; I'm from Calgary, Alberta, Canada; my parents are from Ontario, my dad lived in the same town as Wayne Gretzky(wait that doesn't relate); I have no connections that I know of. Wait, my dad has a friend that's an Australian, and Miranda Otto, David Wenham and Cate Blanchett (who plays Eowyn, Faramir and Galadriel respectivly). There is my connection!