The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #41
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've finished the cloak I was threatening to make. It was easy - apart from cutting the pattern, as I didn't have enough floor space and there was much swearing - but I can recommend anyone having a bash if they fancy a not-too-hard challenge. I got my old dad to model it for me and it was most amusing, seeing as he's 4' 11" (he wasn't always that small I hasten to add), it was swishing along the floor behind him. I told him he was a hobbit-wraith but he didn't get it.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Lalwende, congratulations on finishing your cloak! You tempt me to start work on the green woodland cloak I've been wanting. (20 + yrs ago I made a brown, and a dark blue, in wool.) Aside from the cloaks, I haven't made much of anything.

But I shop elvish and hobbitish. I wore elvish dresses all summer; but the nights are darkening earlier and chilling deeper, so Saturday I got out all of my hobbitish or elvish shirts and laid them out, planning my fall wardrobe. In the breezy summer, all those elven dresses are fine, but when the Narragansett Bay wind kicks up, I want breeches and a waistcoat, thank you.

Aside from my hobbit jackets (corderoy) which came from the dress barn, and my thrift-store vest & waistcoat collection (thank you RAE!) everything else has come from Elf-mart... roughly twenty shirts (mostly brown, green, or tan) that either tie at the throat, or have an elvish/ hobbitish/botanical motif on the front. Add to that hobbit-breeches (brown, green, or tan) and elf-leggings (regular knit pants in brown/ green/ tan) and the jackets, and it's an unusual day that I show up at work as something beside a hobbit or an elf.

Once in a while, I wear blue jeans; I'll have to use additional greys and blues, and make those "Grey Havens days".
Old 09-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #43
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dűm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
I have a grey cloke, and a big white dress.... i also have a skirt that i made that was LOTR inspired.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A tangled web

I have resisted posting because I have nothing elvish to discuss, but with the sudden arrival of Hallowe'en boxes of trick or treat goodies in stores, I suppose I might be allowed to mention this.

A Shelob costume, with which I delighted the little ghosts and goblins last year: black, long-sleeved turtleneck and black pants. Face covered in black makeup, with red rings around my eyes. Short black witch's wig, with messy hair and black "witch" fingernails on my hands (which I also painted with black face paint). AND three large black feather boas, arranged around my body to suggest six legs. The boas did not shed too much, and I was able to move fairly easily.

I did have netting and tons of those little plastic spiders hanging all over my door. And every so often, if we knew the children at the door, someone in my family might jump out with a "phial" to scare me away so he could hand out extra goodies. We had fun.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #45
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
The witch's wig and feather boas don't sound very canonical, Bb.

I don't know how well this fits in with the topic, as I didn't really make anything, but my friends and I went around with blond wigs, shooting people with suction-cup arrows last Halloween. Luckily there were no lawsuits.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #46
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Like a good fan dance, it's all in the artistic arrangement, Sono.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #47
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
the lazy way out

for my sam costume I bought a white shirt tan pants with zipper thing so I can make them into long shorts all i ned is a vest and boom Im sam although i may need a wig my hair grows fairly quickly but not quick enough too bad i got a haircut last week (same day I got my license) yahoo I am no an official driver!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:06 PM   #48
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Ring

Last year, for Halloween (and every day wear ) I made a Pippin costume.
This year, I`m making either an Arwen, Elf, or Frodo costume. Fun stuff.

Last summer I made a blanket using Swedish Weaving (since most don`t know what that is, it is weaving a pattern onto monk`s cloth with yarn, very beautiful) that had stars on it. It looked very LotRish, and the pattern was called Star Light. So, when I entered it in the fair, the name I put on it was Gilgalad.
Right now, I`m making one with trees, that I call Mirkwood.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #49
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

the elf-tailors have sailed west, alas

Yesterday I stopped off at elf-mart, and ended up seriously disappointed... it is clear that the LOTR clothing boom is over, past, done, finis. Not a laced, embroidered, or decorated neckline in sight. No earth-tones. Nothing that an elf or a hobbit would look at twice.

Everything was neon. You could wear the new stuff in the blackest depths of Mirkwood and be seen three leagues away. At night.

Boy, am I glad that I've been stocking up over the past four years. I'll have to start taking ***really good care*** of the elvish & hobbitish shirts, jackets, etc that I'd picked up. Who knows how long it will be til the next Tolkien movie comes out?

At least I can always pick up an elvish dress at any good (asian-) Indian import store.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #50
Atarah

Atarah has just left Hobbiton.
I once dressed up as an Elf, actually my version of an RPG character i've played as in the past. It was for my friend's birthday party last january. We all dressed up as LotR characters, then went out to MegaZone, a lazer shooting game thing. The looks we got! It was hilarious!

I've attached a pic that was taken of us. I'm top-left. I don't know if any o you will remember her, but Dragoneyes is the ringwraith top-center. In fact, we all had accounts here, but only Dragoneyes and I were active posters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_0389sm.jpg (82.2 KB, 937 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #51
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Every year for Halloweeen (and for other special occasions, like trips to the grocery store ) I dress up as Eowyn. I've made both her green-gold dress (which was excruciatingly hard) and her white dress with the black vest over it. (seen in ROTK) My brother also dresses up so that we match, he has piipin's outfit and legolas's outfit.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #52
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 12_30
Yesterday I stopped off at elf-mart, and ended up seriously disappointed... it is clear that the LOTR clothing boom is over, past, done, finis. Not a laced, embroidered, or decorated neckline in sight. No earth-tones. Nothing that an elf or a hobbit would look at twice.

Everything was neon. You could wear the new stuff in the blackest depths of Mirkwood and be seen three leagues away. At night.
You could have a look for some UK web-based shops, as there seems to be rather a lot of fake 'vintage' around at the moment, and lots of it is in the sales too. Lots of strange floaty things, coupled with nice hobbity tweeds, and when worn the right way quite interesting!

Was it that long ago I made my cloak? Since then I have also bought a rather lovely velvet cloak; it was double sided and so thick and soft that I just had to have it. So now I have two cloaks, but alas, I don't have the nerve to wear them outdoors...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #53
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
So now I have two cloaks, but alas, I don't have the nerve to wear them outdoors...
Courage, dear Lalwende! Or, perhaps it's just the ghastly winter weather which has caused your reservations.

I've never gotten around to making my shirts or anything, since I'm rather broke. I may go to the fabric store and see if I can get some patterns and pretty fabric for decent prices. Also, a lot of online stores have vintage and fantasy clothing.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #54
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Along with fantasy, I love the Medieval and Renaissance eras so I've always wanted some sort of dress or outfit that fits into one or more of those categories. My mom told me she'd make me one probably a year or so ago but we never got around to finding patterns and fabric. Plus, I didn't think I'd be able to decide exactly what I wanted! But this past November we finally got out to a craft store and found tons of options. I wanted a Rohan/Eowyn style dress, a simple Medieval gown with long sleeves, and a Renaissance skirt/top. I decided on a more Renaisssance style outfit. So far, my mom has completed the skirt and a basic tunic-type shirt. I chose a dark maroon/burgundy, a light rose, and a dark green for the colors. Since I'm away at college, I don't know if she's finished the bodice yet. I picked a very customizable pattern, which includes different tie-on sleeve options, so I chose the long, bell-sleeves. I can't wait until I get to try on my completed costume, hopefully it'll be sometime soon

I almost forgot - she made me a long black hooded cape also! Still just the bodice that needs to be completed. There's supposed to be around 100 eyelets for laces on it! My mom estimated the full project to cost somewhere around $150.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #55
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinalatawen
I almost forgot - she made me a long black hooded cape also! Still just the bodice that needs to be completed. There's supposed to be around 100 eyelets for laces on it! My mom estimated the full project to cost somewhere around $150.
Mums who can sew are worth their weight in gold! Mine used to make me no end of things when I was younger. She actually is not so keen on the sewing part but loves to cut patterns, which I despise, so I think I ought to team up with her as I enjoy the sewing.

Now, to keep your costs down I always recommend asian fabric shops. There's a lot near me as there's a large asian population, and the choice of fabrics is amazing. You can get both the cheap stuff and the elaborate hand enbroidered sari silks in colours that you didn't even know existed. By going to one of these shops, my own cloak cost me the princely sum of Ł10 to make.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I visited my sister a week ago, and she has these sweet boots... suede, mid-calf and the tops fold down, low heel. They look like something from a Pauline Baynes illustration. She said she go them from Easy Spirit several years back.

I want a pair-- but Easy Spirit seems to have discontinued them; and I haven't found them elsewhere. Drat! I should have bought them when Legolas clothes were everywhere!!!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #57
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Now, to keep your costs down I always recommend asian fabric shops. There's a lot near me as there's a large asian population, and the choice of fabrics is amazing.
How interesting... perhaps if I happen to find myself in Chinatown anytime soon (unlikely, but I can hope) then I'll check that out.

Thrift stores are great sources as well. I just bought these three vests, two of which are decidedly hobbity, for about $2.50 apiece.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #58
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

And now for something we hope you'll really like. Last night at band practice, a bag of secondhand boots arrived, sent from a good friend who was cleaning out her closet. YES!!! Thank God for friends; I enjoy wearing reminders of those I love dearly.

Scorecard: 1 pair mid-shin fold-down black boots (like my sister's only leather not suede) and one pair brown boots which, once stripped of non-middle-earth decorations, will also pass for third age.

Next related purchase: to the tack shop, for a good leather-treatment oil. I hope it deepens and darkens the brown boots.

Hallelujah... celebrating still!

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-16-2005 at 05:17 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #59
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
You could have a look for some UK web-based shops, as there seems to be rather a lot of fake 'vintage' around at the moment, and lots of it is in the sales too. Lots of strange floaty things, coupled with nice hobbity tweeds, and when worn the right way quite interesting!

Was it that long ago I made my cloak? Since then I have also bought a rather lovely velvet cloak; it was double sided and so thick and soft that I just had to have it. So now I have two cloaks, but alas, I don't have the nerve to wear them outdoors...
Thanks for the suggestion, and the "note" of hope-- when things go out of style, they arrive in the thrift shops-- HURRAH! I shall begin haunting the mathom-houses...

Regarding wearing cloaks outdoors-- wear them on brief walks, or out to check the mail, or out walking the dog if you have one. You'll get used to it. Also-- wear them with normal clothes, with a pair of boots. (Wearing a full costume takes a lot more nerve than just wearing "a nice full coat with no sleeves.") When Raefindel sent me my lovely, wonderful, new-favorite long green cloak, I wore it out in the front garden and ran around and played tag with my dog. (It moves beautifully!)

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-16-2005 at 05:18 AM. Reason: seplling
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #60
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Regarding wearing cloaks outdoors-- wear them on brief walks, or out to check the mail, or out walking the dog if you have one. You'll get used to it. Also-- wear them with normal clothes, with a pair of boots. (Wearing a full constume takes a lot more nerve than just wearing "a nice full coat with no sleeves.")
Sometimes it is so cold that the grey cloak is mandatory walkwear for me! I can tell you that I don't wear hobbit breeches in cold weather--too many drafts! Suffice it to say that the winter hobbit wardrobe here at Chez Lyta is military surplus pants with many cargo pockets, one of which holds an East German canteen full of water (I find that miruvor tends to make the path a bit harder to follow!), a British military wool sweater over one of several Frodoish white buttondown shirts (easy to find at yard sales and thrift stores in many variations). The vest was harder to find, and I had to make it--it broke ten sewing needles in the process! AAARGH!

You're right about the full costume taking more nerve to wear, Helen. I have worn the full Frodo outfit a couple of times on my walk, but oddly enough, the looks I got were no stranger than the ones I get every day (since I carry Sting whether I dress up or not!)

I can tell you that, besides thrift stores, the upcoming yard sale "season" is a veritable gold mine for finding odd clothing and also material. Last year I bought a large remnant of brown velvet that was exactly enough to complete one pair of Mr. Frodo hobbit breeches! (Incidentally, the VERY hard to find button attached suspenders proved impossible to find at normal venues, but since Mr. Lyta is an avid collector of all kinds of military surplus, he dug out a pair of old style German submarine pants suspenders, which, although they didn't quite color coordinate, matched the hobbit style of suspender quite nicely!) So my recommendation is yard sales and military surplus stores, the less organized the better for lots of fun digging through the bins!

As a postnote to this, I managed some years ago at one of these dark, unorganized military surplus outlets to find all the components necessary to build an authentically beaten up looking lightsaber for a Jedi outfit I made. The parts cost $3, and replacing the Dremel head that was broken while making it cost $7--total outlay $10! And boy did it look used--not shiny like those things you buy out of catalogs. This one looked like it had been through the Clone Wars and several summers on Tatooine! But I digress...

Cheers!
Lyta (now back to box diving for fun and employment....)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #61
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12_30
Regarding wearing cloaks outdoors-- wear them on brief walks, or out to check the mail, or out walking the dog if you have one. You'll get used to it. Also-- wear them with normal clothes, with a pair of boots. (Wearing a full constume takes a lot more nerve than just wearing "a nice full coat with no sleeves.") When Raefindel sent me my lovely, wonderful, new-favorite long green cloak, I wore it out in the front garden and ran around and played tag with my dog. (It moves beautifully!)
Alas, I have only to cross the room to check my mail and I have no dog. But last summer I attempted to get my cats to use harnesses. If I succeed (which I doubt as they sensibly hiss and spit when they see aforementioned items and work feline magic on my 'guilt' centre) I shall take them for 'walkies' while wearing a cloak and add to my eccentric reputation. But, I'm hoping to wear my cloak at Tolkien 2005 in Birmingham, so I'm going to have to 'roadtest' it soon, aren't I? I have actually been toying with the idea of making a wizard's hat for fun, as I have a pattern for one; if I do, I shall have to take up wood-whittling and make a staff to match.

About boots, I found a pair in the sales that are made from pale brown suede, with a fake lacing effect up the sides and a foldover top. I snapped them up because they look very Middle Earth - I have the same ones in black, bought for three times the price a few months before, but they strangely look more pirateish.

I was at York Viking Festival at the weekend and there were some wonderful stalls selling 'authentic' Viking goods including the heaviest, hairiest wools you can imagine, good cloak fabrics, furs (which I steered clear of, sometimes things are a little too authentic), jewellery and all kinds of interesting stuff including horns (for Boromir wannabes), drinking vessels and hand made knives. Here's a weblink to a site selling some rather nice cloak pins which I saw while I was there: http://www.runesmith.co.uk/index.html
Old 02-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #62
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When I was six years old I made Tom Bombadil's boots. I took paper, coloured it yellow with crayons and somehow taped them around my feet like boots. Then I jumped around singing Tom's songs. I also wore a blue shirt and made a beard from my hair. (I luckily happen to have brown hair... ) I was a bit crazy child then.
After these boots I haven't made any LotR costumes...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #63
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Milady Revenwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via MSN to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via Yahoo to Milady Revenwyn
Shield

Well, if you call "Made" anything you just throw together...
I had a pair of khaki pants that I had cut and hemmed when I was a bit shorter. Then I got too tall for them. So I cropped them up more and made them capris. Then, I had a black velvet vest, and a collared shirt. So I then took my green bed sheat and with a leaf-shaped pin, held it together and used it as a cloak. :P
Price of costume? $O.

Outside of stuff I have made, I went to the ROtK opening in a gorgeous dress made by Lip Service and bought at Torrid. My hair was black at the time, and I went as Arwen (albeit I looked more like a hobbit trying to dress like an elf!)

You can see it here: Clicky
Milady Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #64
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
I can't believe I missed this thread...

Last fall (only last fall?) I made a Lorien/Fellowship cloak using the pattern on AlleyCatScratch. I sewed it by hand, because I was stranded at school without my machine, and ever since I have loved hand-sewing. I was tolerably experienced before, doing a lot of finished by hand, but now I have no objection to sewing even ordinary seams by hand.

Anyway, I made it out of a lovely soft, slightly fuzzy-ish wool suiting that's grey in effect but has grey, black, tan, and even blue threads in it. It's lovely and warm, but not heavy, and works for Civil War reenacting too. (Big reason why I made it from wool. Now I love wool for itself! Yum...) And just recently I've been wearing it when studying in the apartment. We're saving by running the heater as little as possible, so from time to time it gets bit chilly. I used to keep trying to wrap a too-small blanket around me, but then I had the brain-wave to use the cloak hanging in my closet! It works so much better, and can wrap around me twice... *blissful sigh*

I'm a reasonably experienced seamstress with many projects in the works. Among other things I want to make a Gondorian civilian costume, my interpretation of a Mirkwood elf, perhaps Arwen's mourning gown (I love those gold buttons!), Eowyn's refugee and white wool gowns... Yikes, time to prioritize again!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #65
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuranar, you did one of those cloaks by hand? Wow.

The reason I hesitate about that pattern is the question can you wrap up in it and be really warm? I want something that keeps me out of the wind, not in it. Soooo... you tell me....

I'm impressed by your to-do list!

With few exceptions, such as the cloaks and the archery vambraces (which I needed anyway, getting whacked by a longbow string really hurts) I buy everything. Which means, shopping with an elvish/hobbitish haze over my eyes. If an elf or a hobbit walked into this store and had to buy several outfits, what would they walk out with? I don't sew much... and now I need a new bow! Ack. My black longbow cracked last time I used it. (Shooting in the cold shouldn't be that risky!)
Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #66
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Pipe Sewing? I love sewing!

Well, Helen, your archery skills impress me! I wish I could do that. My brothers have made bows - of a sort - themselves. But we have a very small yard and my mother is (understandably) not too wild about them getting arrows, so they just have to make do. It's been very... interesting at times.

About hand-sewing the cloak: Well, the main part is only one piece, cut in a semi-circle. I would've hand-hemmed all those edges anyway, so it wasn't a biggie. The hood was four pieces that could've been machine-sewn faster, but it wasn't too bad. And joining the hood to the body by hand is probably a lot more secure than by machine! I sewed over it twice, very carefully; perhaps even backstitching. Actually, I find hand sewing very relaxing. It's ideal for listening to books on tape or sermons or something.

About the pattern: I like the pattern because of the way it hangs open. That means I can wear it around the house without it getting in my hands' way. But just because it hangs open doesn't mean there's not enough material to wrap up in. When I've worn it on reenactments, I've found it useful - and attractive - to swing one side across and pin the edge to my other shoulder. It draps across my neck (you can adjust how high) and hangs very nicely. This drape is also shorter than full length, so it doesn't get in the way of my hands. Actually, it hangs over my arms, keeping them warm but allowing me full use of them. Here and here are a couple of very bad pictures (I've cropped them for reasons of vanity ) that still may help you understand what I'm talking about. (The green and yellow is a jacket I'm wearing beneath the cloak; the blue is the skirt of the dress below that.) Here is one showing the cloak hanging open.

The other thing is I'd highly recommend making it in wool. And I don't mean super heavy-duty pea-coat-weight stuff either - that's like making a hobbit dress out of cotton tent canvas! Besides being the warmest thing going, as well as authentic, it drapes gorgeously and is a dream to sew with. I think the last four things I've made have been of wool! I love this stuff.

And as for the to-do list... *sigh* I need to get back to studying for my history test. Work before play, as always!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #67
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I fell in love with Arwen's dress - the one with the fantastic red sleeves down to there - so that's the one I've been dreaming of making. I found a wonderful pattern here and a fantastic fabric - well, two, actually - to use for it. They're both wine red; the one for the sleeves is transparent and pressed into tiny pleats, and the one for the main part of the dress is crinkle-pressed into roses! I hope it turns out as gorgeous as I envision it; alas, other projects have priority, so I will be sewing it in the summer. When I do (and if it turns out, of course!) I'll post pictures...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #68
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That looks a nice pattern! I was thinking about ideas for making Elven style garments, and cast my mind back to the 80's when customising was more common. To make an Elven top like the one in that pattern, you could easily get a good quality (high lycra content) close fitting T-shirt style top with elbow length sleeves and attach draped sleeves to it, finishing these off with braid, to hide the join and to make the sleeves more elaborate. This could then be worn with a matching long skirt, handy if you're like me and don't tend to suit dresses for some reason!

The cloak I made was constructed from four shoulder 'yokes' with the main body pieces being attached to these, so it was actually quite complicated, and had I seen the pattern that Nuranar posted, then I might have tried that instead! Still, it was worth it as it does hang beautifully from the shoulders and is very 'full'.

I have a pile of lopped Leylandii branches in my garden since the monstrous trees at the back were cut severely back (hurrah, I have daylight again!), and I have been looking at them and wondering if I could use this wood to make anything. Would I be able to construct a staff or some such out of them, or would it be better to have seasoned wood?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #69
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Would I be able to construct a staff or some such out of them, or would it be better to have seasoned wood?
I like staves made from new wood, peeled and sturdy and flexible. Staves made from seasoned wood are lighter but I think they're more brittle.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #70
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My friends made me a green cloak, covered a wizard-hat with green fabric and even made a staff for me as a birthday present. I don't know should I be delighted or furious. They think I'm a wizard.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #71
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Rejoice! The hat isn't glued to your head. The green cloak is great for woodland hilkes, for hobbit, elf, or man. And the staff will double as a walking stick.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #72
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
I was thinking about ideas for making Elven style garments
...and did you have a specific Event in mind, we wonders, we wonders????

Old 03-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #73
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
...and did you have a specific Event in mind, we wonders, we wonders????
Well, I was thinking of ideas for Tolkien 2005, but since the other day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
My friends made me a green cloak, covered a wizard-hat with green fabric and even made a staff for me as a birthday present. I don't know should I be delighted or furious. They think I'm a wizard.
Don't be sad about that! A green wizard sounds good!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 AM   #74
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, just in case *someone* might be looking for an Elven-style wedding dress, there is a white lace version of my pattern to be seen here. It's lovely, with a hood to use as a veil, and cut longer in the back so that it's like a train.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 03-10-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #75
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Cool costumes/shirts people have made! I thought I was the only nerd to do such craziness.
I've made two shirts to date, more in the near future I hope. My first had a picture of the Ring on front and it said "Is it not a strange fate we suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing" and on the back it had Theoden and in fabric paint I wrote his speech from ROTK. "Ride now! Ride now! etc.." My other shirt had the Rohan flag on the front and I used iron on letters to write Forth Eorlingas. On the back I had a picture of a map of Middle Earth and very carefully and very painstakingly I did the Elven script from the Ring under the map.

And this year for prom I'm making Arwen's red and blue dress from ROTK. The main reason I'm making it for prom is because I think it is so pretty and it fits with our theme (Once Upon a Time) and it will also hide my incredibly pale arms.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 AM   #76
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm looking forward to the Costume Extravaganza at the 'Tolkien 2005' conference this summer, since that's the occasion for which I plan to make that wine-red dress. However, with my luck, it could be raining then - does anyone have a good idea for a lightweight, water-resistant fabric suitable for a cloak?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 AM   #77
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Esty - you expect rain? In England? In summer? Well, the only kind of waterproof cloak I've ever seen are those capes which fishermen wear during their endless hours spent huddling by English canals; they are made from some kind of wax jacket material and are not very Elven, but you could almost carry off the Dunedain ranger look with one.

I just allow myself to get rained on because it's quite nice in the summer. But my serious recommendation would be a large umbrella.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:59 AM   #78
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Water-proof, I dunno. But water-resistant.... I'd say wool.

But use a tight weave. Maybe thoroughly pre-shrink the fabric (hot wash & hot tumble-dry) to tighten up the weave even more.

If you want to be super zealous there's always scotch-guard....

....afterthought.... Gore-Tex??? I'm amazed they sell it by the yard! Quick, Esty, sale ends March 19....

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-16-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #79
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Hmmmm... Let me see. I made a long elvish looking dress for my GCSE Textiles course work back when I was at school, my teacher didn't mark me very well though because she said that it wasn't inline with the fashions of the time, or something like that. I said that with the new film out Lotr would soon become a craze and everyone would want elvish looking clothes. In response she laughed at me! I also made a top with really long and wide sleeves made of silky fabric (probably satin,I don't remember!) and I'm attempting to make a cloak at the moment.

I did think about cheating and buying one though.... I was thinking about one of the official ones, but then I found out that they were Ł300!!!!! Then I found a really nice one in a shop that was only Ł60. It was perfect other than the fact that it was velour not velvet and it had a frog closure. I don't think frog closures look very elvish. Oh- it was also about a foot too long (I'm only 5'1")!

I think that I'm just going to have to make it myself. I'm feeling rather lazy at the moment though.... Oh well I know a great shop that sells the most beautifull fabric, so I should probably go get started!
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:04 AM   #80
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Celebuial - You get marks for making fashionable things? How is this judged though? The mind boggles... it was all about technique and design when I was at school. Surely though, your teacher ought to have realised just how big a market there is for alternative clothing out there? There are always going to be people who want to buy medieval/elven style clothes!

Don't cheat with your cloak, they are so easy to make! All I would advise is lots of room to cut the pattern as I had a nightmare with mine! Mine was made from pattern 9887 here and it's pretty simple, and moves nicely too. Though I did cheat and buy another when I saw a nice double sided cloak, as that would be too difficult to make for me!