The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2002, 09:39 AM   #281
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Not to mention it is a very FINE name! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #282
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can´t believe I haven´t posted here already (or have I? Didn´t see a post by me...). Well, simply put: Eärendil is my fave in the Silmarillion, and the Silmarillion is my all time fave book. Couldn´t have a better name. And it wasn´t taken.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Great, eh? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:43 AM   #283
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I didn't want to take my name from the LOTR, since it was somehow too obvious, so I took my name from the wonderful book "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle (anyone read it?).Schmendrick is a wonderful character, a wizard, whose magic never obeys him and so he's "doomed" to immortality (wandering around the world, "eternally inefficient", as it says in the book), until he learns to use his magic right(or until he learns that the magic uses him, not the other way around)...and of course, in the end, he then becomes a powerful magician and - a mortal. I feel like he's my alter ego, for some reason... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 12:54 PM   #284
Supreme Leader

Shield

Well, I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan (but don't hold that against me). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anyway, a couple of years ago I was trying to come up with someting MJ-related that wasn't already taken and I remembered a character name from a 3D-movie he made in -87 called Supreme Leader (played by Angelica Houston). So that's what I chose. It only remains to be seen wether I'll live up to the name or no. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I would like to have a Tolkien-related nick as well, but I think it'd just get confusing. Besides, it's difficult coming up with something unique that fits me.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:08 AM   #285
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

well, my name - 'Evisse' is the name of a good witch from a story I once read; and the 'Blue' part has nothing to do with Blue Wizards, as most of you probably think; it's simply the name of my Cocker Spaniel! She's such a cutie I had to pay homage to her!

But I'm getting kinda bored of it - does any of you know how I can change my nick??
Old 09-24-2002, 08:59 AM   #286
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Sorry, Evisse - the only way to do that is to register anew with a new nick, losing the posts you have so far - and confusing all of us! If you want to try out a different name, how about joining one of the RPGs and creating a new character with a new name? That way we'll still recognize you (by your displayed name), and you can play with something different!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:13 AM   #287
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, I forgot to say...Eärendil is a bit similar to me, in "personality", in some ways. But what ways...I´ll leave that for you to guess yourselves. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I love my name, very proud to have it!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:53 AM   #288
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i took the name eleniwilwarin because of two things...
1. i love stars and i liked the elvish word for butterfly (wilwarin)
2. i am like a butterfly sometimes, i like to go far away on adventures, and attracted to beautiful things... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 11:19 AM   #289
Lady_Espel
Animated Skeleton

Lady_Espel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, i'm not brilliant at elvish, but i think (people who know elvish dont make me look stupid if i'm wrong pls) that espel means to be quiet, and im a bit quiet. Most of the time.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #290
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am an Ill-guest [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:02 AM   #291
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

I used my real name and translated it into Elvish: Estel i-Dhadrantor Ohtarion. Then I shortened it and re-translated the second name into English: Estel the Descender.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 10:01 AM   #292
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
The Eye

I picked my name for a pretty dumb reason actually. My school is an arts conservatory, so there's plenty of random practice rooms and dance studios with these teeny horizontal windows near the top. After my a.m. general studies classes I always pass by one of the dance studios and peek in the little windows, but since I'm so short ( [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) the people inside can only see my eyes. One day someone approached me and told me how they were taking class and happened to look at the window to see two shining green eyes looking back at them (mine obviously, and I'm not kidding!). So, as y'all probably know, the stem "glin" means gleam, especially referring to the eyes. So I feminized (sp?) it, and that's that.
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:55 PM   #293
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well Elfling is easy. I feel like i'm hobbit or halfling like and a little elf like. no Big Mystery. I,m also Kali in some places because I really liked Merry's character and if any of you read the many appendixes Kalimac or Kali is Merry's real hobbit name.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #294
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Tolkien - Duh! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Gurl - That's what I am! Well, spelled the right way of course. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Some of your nicknames are so awesome! I wish I was that creative!

~TolkienGurl~
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:50 PM   #295
Frodo-Baggins2002

Sting

I like Frodo, not the actor Elijah Wood, but just Frodo the charactor
Old 10-04-2002, 06:59 PM   #296
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My nickname came from a time that I was browsing through my Latin-to-English (and other way round) dictionary after I had found out that my name didn't sound too great, and I looked up willow for some reason, and there was written 'Salix'. I liked the word a bit darn much, and I'm glad I'm keeping it.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #297
mithuel
Pile O'Bones

mithuel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I first thought of my name when I was about ten . I was wandering through the forest and the trees whispered it to me. In full it is Mithuel Solontiel. I don't know if it means anything in Elvish, but I'm checking out some of the language sites recommended to try and learn some and find out. Anyway, when I recently found the barrow downs site (and I'm really glad I did) I looked at all the beautiful names people used and remembered the name from all those years ago. Maybe the Elves whispered it to me again... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
mithuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #298
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

The reason for my nickname is fairly simple, really. Some months ago I went to "Who Were You in Middle-Earth?" and Eruialiwen was the Elvish form of my name [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Then I came back and did it again, only that time my name came up as Celebechoriel...I liked the first one better so I use that one for anything Tolkien-related [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 07:07 PM   #299
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

A bit redonedant don't you think?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:01 AM   #300
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Airerûthiel was one of my elven names on the name generator on Barrow Downs
Old 10-07-2002, 12:49 PM   #301
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
The Eye

Um, this is my actual name.
*tut, tut, tisk tisk* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 01:16 PM   #302
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course my name is from Tom Bombadil's song that he sings about himself. Shame that I wasnt included in the movie, though.
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:31 PM   #303
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Sting

I made mine up, then discovered that it's another name for Numenor. Talk about a coincidence.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:59 PM   #304
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are terribly right, Bombadilo!
Shame on the movie-makers [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

greetings,
the ill-guest
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 02:53 PM   #305
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

Izzy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't have much of a reason for my nickname,I just like the name Izabelle,I wish my mom would've named me that [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 04:43 PM   #306
platinumclaw

Sting

My whole name is fairly obvious. I admire eagles very much in real life. But Khroa? I made it up, but the word hroa is Quenya for "body, solid matter". I merely slapped a K in front of it for which the reason I don't know.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #307
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

Sting

that sounds cool. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:34 PM   #308
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Wow...Izzy and Khroa, welcome!
Yeah, my name's not original I know, but I've held special memories of Sam for a long time...the explanation's somewhere in this thread, I think.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #309
Jasmine Baggins

Pipe

My name came from the fact that when I joined the Elendor MUSH (some might have heard of it, and others might not) this was the name of my character there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 04:42 PM   #310
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

Sting

thanx for the welcome Samwise [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I like Sam too,he's so brave! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'' 'don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee' and I don't mean to,I don't mean to''

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:55 AM   #311
Loonie

Sting

My name is the quite appropriate result of the Hobbit name generator on this site. However, in other universes, I've been known as Linael. Figure that out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:23 PM   #312
Arin_the_flameseer

I picked "Arin the flameseer" because I'm reading a book and there is an elven character named Arin and she is a flame seer.
The book is The Dragonstone and I recomend this book to anyone and everyone.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:19 PM   #313
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I've never heard of it,sounds cool though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 12:36 PM   #314
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

we likesss Gollum, don't we Precioussss? oh yeesss Preciousss, we does.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:14 PM   #315
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

LOL Precioussss!Mesin likess Smeagol too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 09:09 PM   #316
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I got my name from the Elven name generator, and it's stuck. I should've used my other name, Thallianuwen, which means (I think) strong maiden, which suits my character. Bt Nefercoirwen sounds better with the Sindarin accent and all that.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:35 PM   #317
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Miz Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
I'm getting older and want to live in Bag End! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, I figured that all the glamorous names were taken and since I am short, plump and love to garden, a hobbit name's for me!
Miz Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #318
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Niehdro_Silai means warrior of the elves

i dunno why i used it.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 03:48 PM   #319
Izzy
Animated Skeleton

LOL!
Old 10-20-2002, 08:43 PM   #320
Coppershield

Shield

My nick comes from the dwarven version of my real name. Not only did I like the sound of it, but my favorite character is a dwarf, so I'm partial.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]