Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #321
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Abarzadan and company are figuring out how they are going to sneak into Armenelos.

Inzillomi and the large group have arrived in Romenna.

Thoronmir has arrived in Romenna, and his writer has more or less written him out of the rpg.

Does that help, Himaran?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #322
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
still confused

Wait... so how many of us are currently hanging out in Romenna? Because I'd just hastily conceived a plan of Inzillomi walking through the streets and finding one of the rescuers, but right now, I really don't know who is where. Is Thoronmir officially gone?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #323
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, part of the problem is game time. Thoronmir has been more or less written out of the rpg. But it must be remembered that it would take him at least two days to race across the island from Armenelos to Romenna. And Inzillomi is, likewise, perhaps a week ahead of the rescuer party and Mabalar.

Actually, I figure it would take Inzillomi about a week to get her entire group across the island, maybe even two weeks. I don't know. So there is much game time to be written through.

So far, and correct me if I'm wrong:

Day 1: Mabalar is captured and Kathaani races back home. She arrives that night.

Day 2: Kathaani, Inzillomi, and all the rest gather at the house of the Melethrochs and plan the rescue.

Day 3: The rescuers set out.

Day 4: The rescuers are confronted by the King's patrol outside the first town.

Day 5: The rescuers pass through the fields, staying off the roads, to get to Armenelos.

Day 6: The rescuers discover the King's patrol tracking them, and make plans to enter Armenelos.

How off is this?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #324
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
The list looks pretty good.

Menel's post states that A & Co. are already in Romenna, which would be quite a while after leaving the rest of the company. It would seem, then, that the others have a lot of catching up to do, while we in Rom. work out a plan of our own. Correct?

- Himaran
Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #325
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
That's the impression I was under, Him.

Did you who are currently in Romenna want to include Inzi in your planning? I can't see the group being in the city for more than a short time without her knowledge, and once she finds out Abarpa isn't with them, she'll obviously want to know what the heck's happening, so I assumed there would be a few catch up posts between her and the group.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #326
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

That sounds like a good way to get Inzi back into the story; and after all, it only makes sense for her to find out about them. Perhaps you could write a post about her finding us, and then I or Regin can reply. It will be a rather uncomfortable situation, to say the leasst - I can imagine Inzi being furious that half of the "rescuers" have apparently run to safety and left the others (and her dear husband) behind.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #327
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I love how well you know my character's personality. I'll get to that meeting post soon.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #328
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Now here's a plot twist I can sink my teeth into. Good stuff, Fea.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, Thor and Azar would have arrived in Romenna with two of the Kariborim beneath them. Which ones would they be? And could they be used now for Inzi's advantage, now that her first reponsibilities seem to have been taken care of?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #329
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril *jaw drops*

Quote:
And could they be used now for Inzi's advantage, now that her first reponsibilities seem to have been taken care of?
Does that mean I get to have new ones?!?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #330
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So sorry I forgot to mention that for the last couple days I have been traveling and unable to post. I went up for a summer program out of state and it took me a couple of days to get settled in. Again, sorry for not mentioning it earlier due to the hussle and bussle of getting ready. I plan to get caught up in the story and put up a post ASAP, hopefully before monday.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 06-18-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #331
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Regin, the floor's all yours. Have fun dealing with Inzi! (I decided that it would be more like Abarzadan to turn the floor over to someone else than to actually deal with the problem at hand. )
Old 06-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #332
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I must admit to some confusion.

From Himaran's post, I take it that the following characters are in Romenna:

Inzillomi, Abarzadan, Thoronmir, and Azarmano.

And if that's the case, there are now three Kariborim already in Romenna.

And the following characters are hiding outside Armenelos:

Kathaani, Marsillion, and Tiru.

If this is right, there are four Kariborim just outside Armenelos.

One Karibor is captive inside Armenelos.

I could have sworn Azarmano was hiding outside Armenelos, or is that wrong?

It would appear that Romenna and Armenelos are roughly 70 miles apart from each other, so it's one day's journey on Karibor.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #333
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
From Himaran's post, I take it that the following characters are in Romenna:

Inzillomi, Abarzadan, Thoronmir, and Azarmano.
Well, if they weren't before, they are now.

Quote:
And if that's the case, there are now three Kariborim already in Romenna.

And the following characters are hiding outside Armenelos:

Kathaani, Marsillion, and Tiru.
I believe so. Okay, so just to clear this all up (because I'm having an emotional day and so my brain won't work in the clear and logical way needed to actually figure this out on my own)... Correct me if I'm wrong:

Kathaani, Marsillion, and Tiru are the diversion. They are being obviously sneaky to draw the King's Men's attention, leaving Abar and Azar (now minus Thoronmir) to sneak back from Romenna, to Armenelos to save Abarpanaru (now Mabalar)....?

Currently:

Abarpa is watching a poor young man be tortured to death on Sauron's altar. Question: will Abarpa be tortured (but not killed) before the rescuers get to him?

Inzi just found out that half of the rescuers are for some strange reason, a day's ride away from the rescue, and wants to know why. Without delay. Question: what will Inzillomi's role be now that she's with some of the rescuers?

Kath, Marsillion, Tiru are being sneaky. Question: will they be caught, if they are so obviously drawing attention to themselves?

Abar, Azar are possibly going to both try NOT to be the one to explain what's happening to the lady. Question: once Inzi's clued in, will they (the boys) leave for Armenelos? If so, with or without her?

Thoronmir has just kindly deposited Inzi at the door and disappeared into the crowd. Question: is he officially gone now?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #334
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

I’ve just finished catching up on this game – Well done, everyone!!

Please note I’ve gone through and removed icons from the game posts. Let’s let your posts stand on the merit of their writing and not on their decoration. Leave the icons for the discussion thread and the Inn. Please also remember to remove your signatures from game posts.

Looking forward to seeing where your collective creative energies take the storyline.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #335
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

Finding the sneaking to online places to post a little more difficult than I expected. But I like the way the game is going. Thanks guys, you carry this so well when the game gets going. I'll try not to put any definite numbers on my posts as far as how often I'll be able to get them up so as not to keep you waiting.

As for the locations of the Kariborim. I'll venture to say that Kathaani's group has Nitiru (Kath), Ruki (Tiru), and Mani (Mars.) Choosing arbitrarily shall we say Azarmano has Khibil, Abarzadan has Izri, and Thoronmir has Kali (we must make sure that Thoronmir, with or without Meneltarmacil gets Kali onto the ship). Which leaves, of course, Lomi with Abar where she's been all along.

And I suspect that Marsillion & co. should find a way not to get caught, or else find a way to get caught that conveniently aids the rescue attempt so that we don't have to rescue the would-be rescuers. We have enough trouble without that.

Lastly, and correct me if I've lost my place on the island, but I've assumed that we're south of the Meneltarma now, because Noirinan opens that way. However, I'm not 100% sure how we'd have gotten there (my brother could tell you a thing or two about my sense of direction). Am I right?

Sophe
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #336
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Originally, I had envisioned that Azarmano and Co would only go a little while towards Romenna and turn back after half a day's ride because the king's men would be following the other guys. Due to subsequent posts, I found that we went all the way to Romenna, which is fine and makes sense if we want to get Lady Inzillomi involved. I think it would be interesting to get her involved in the rescue. I just filled in a save in which I talk with her. I explain that the reason we went all the way to Romenna instead of just part of the way is because the guards were still following us and we had to lose them.

Fea- If you want, now would be the time to get Inzillomi going to save her husband. I think it would elicit an interesting reaction from Azarmano. Of course, it is entirely up to you, but I think it is a good idea. If not, you can just wish us luck.

I anticipate that after Inzillomi's response, we will be on the road unless something else happens.

If any of this doesn't work for someone please let me know and I will be glad to change it.

- Regin
Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #337
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Question: will Abarpa be tortured (but not killed) before the rescuers get to him?
We shall see, we shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Question: what will Inzillomi's role be now that she's with some of the rescuers?
That's pretty much up to you now, in't it?

Quote:
Question: will they be caught, if they are so obviously drawing attention to themselves?
I'm confused. I thought they were being sneaky. Or is that some kind of tongue in cheek?

Quote:
Question: once Inzi's clued in, will they (the boys) leave for Armenelos? If so, with or without her?
That's up to you. What would make the story more interesting?

Quote:
Question: is he officially gone now?
Officially is a rather strong word. If he chooses to post himself back into the story, I suppose he's back in. But he'll have to do it in a way that works in the story. If he doesn't show up, then he has removed himself.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #338
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I'm confused. I thought they were being sneaky. Or is that some kind of tongue in cheek?
Tongue in cheek. Their sneakiness is the diversion, so it's at least a little obvious.

I'll get to Inzi's response post this morning. First I actually have to read Regin's. That's morning for you.

*grumbles about needing more sleep*
Old 06-27-2005, 03:09 AM   #339
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree Updates indeed

I've just sent a brilliant post back to TB12 (being his semi official proofreader is fun), which should go up in the morning. However the events of the post will make it clear that Regin, Fea, Himaran (and Meneltarmacil if he's still around?) should make all haste to Armenelos.

Just a very few notes. "Rómenna" should be spelled the way I have just done. Not "Romenna" with no accent or "Rommena." "Abârzadan" has also lost his accent in the last several posts.

Also I would like to see us throw in a few varied names. We're a group of people that loves our homeland dearly, impassioned patriots if you will, and we speak several languages which include many names for Numenor, including:

Númenor, Númenórë, Elenna, Andor, The Land of Gift, Starwards, Westernesse, Anadûnê, Yôzâyan.

The latter two are Adunaic, and therefore probably used by the King's Men and ourselves equally. The former are probably terms of the Faithful only. Armenelos would also likely be called Arminalêth by the King's Men, as it is the Adunaic form of the word and the elven tongues were *cough* out of favor.

Despite my many and lengthy absences this has been hands-down the best written game I have ever been part of. Thank you everyone.

And in other news I start my new job tomorrow! So I will soon be providing my own internet with my own paycheck! And paying for it in a timely fashion. Hooray.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #340
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
My post is up now, credit any grammatical errors to Sophia seeng how she is my "semi official proofreader"

Soph and I will have to collaborate with Regin, Him, and Fea (pending??) on what will happen next.

TB12

P.S. I would be suprised if Sophia pays for anything in a timely fashion , but maybe this isn't the time or place for sibling fueding
Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #341
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Very nice, TB. I've just edited my last post to add a bit more to it. Inzi's ready to go, whenever you guys are.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #342
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've re-edited my post to better accomodate Regin's character.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #343
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Great post, TB. I suppose that Abar, Inzi, and Aza (with Th in tow?) should be formulating a plan to get into Armenelos?

Hmm... would it be possible that there is some sort of sewer network that runs underneath the city. Dirty, yes, but traversable, perhaps? Just throwing out an idea - it seems unlikely that we could just walk in without being spotted and captured.

- Himaran
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #344
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Nice edit, Fea. I think it does reflect Azarmano better, and also shows a nice note of humility on Inzi's part.

As for Himaran's suggestion, I recall a mini-rp that ran in Gondor a couple years ago where Rimbaud and Estelyn blocked an invasion of Minas Tirith which would have entered through the sewers (The Saving of the Star, I believe?). It seems as though if it could be plausible in Minas Tirith it could be plausible in Armenelos. Both are examples of Numenorean city-planning. However there are a few thing that would need to be incorporated:
1. They would need a credible source to guide them into and/or through the sewers
2. I doubt (highly) the sewers would be unguarded.

Sophia
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 AM   #345
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

the sewer thing is getting a bit hackneyed. We did it in Hills of Evendim too.

Could we try harder? Some alternative?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #346
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The Eagles could come.

More seriously though... the sewers have been shot down because of over-use and sheer difficulty.

We could do the hiding-in-plain-view approach, but that already failed where the King's Men didn't believe that the group was another bunch of them.

Our idea needs to be creative, clever, and unused (which means those darned Eagles need to stay put).

I'd say it would be better to avoid being overtly sneaky, but not to be too obvious. Is there a place in the city that these three would have reason to go? Once they're in the city, we can work from there. It's just getting them in without getting them in prison.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 06-29-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #347
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Hm, I wasn't familiar with Halls of Evendim. There's a bit of a gap in my Downs RP experience.

So no sewers, then.

Could something be done with Monoizindu? Alaklondewen isn't with us anymore, but we still have her character description to work with. If he is in fact an old friend of Abar's, Inzi might know of him, and where to find him? Getting in that far would be a start.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #348
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I returned from my road trip yesterday, so I'm not officially gone yet.

Maybe some kind of disguise might work? Like, if Sauron's priests/loyal servants/whatever wear something like black cloaks that conceal people's faces well enough?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #349
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Ah, well then, welcome back Menel and Thoronmir. We weren't sure whether you intended to have written out your character or whether that's just what it looked like.

With Thoronmir and Inzi both accompanying the rescue party, we're short a Karibor. Perhaps someone would be up for going double? Or if an inferior horse were used the Armenelos trip would take longer than a day, although they would arrive at the city early on day 2 (which could perhaps be advantageous).
Old 06-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #350
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'll ride double, if need be. I also just had the idea (conclusion?) that Inzi will need to be disguised. It just wouldn't fly to have the wife of an important political prisoner (both in disgrace) come riding into town. That said, she'll need a new "role" in the group, as it would be the most foolish thing ever to have a higher-up in the Faithful chain of command, so to speak, in the spot-light. Perhaps the well-disguised wife of one of the others? Thoronmir (welcome back Menel) is too well known to be paired with someone also very well known. Azar has a wife and kid. That leaves Abarza as a possible "husband". Or she could be a sister, or even maid, though maids doubtlessly wouldn't travel with a group of men.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #351
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm pretty sure Menel has exited the game. I see no signs to the contrary. Can someone tell me what the point is in carrying this (now) nonplayer character, writerless? Are we carrying him along just to have someone to kill off later?

EDIT: Sorry, Menel, I somehow didn't see your post. Nevermind the above. Welcome back!

EDIT #2: I like Menel's idea regarding disguises. I'm sure we can come up with something along those lines. Let's be creative, eh? Surely there's some reference toward Numenorean garb in the Legendarium?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-30-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:52 PM   #352
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree Disguises

Fea- I think wife or sister would be the best option, yes. Sister could work for either Azarmano or Abarzadan, if Inzi wants more choice in it. Although I think Inzi's being forced to play Abarzadan's wife could be very interesting, considering his 'ambiguous' role thus far. The interactions from that could be revealing.

Menel, LMP- I think disguises would probably be the best course as well. Although they would want to be very inconspicuous disguises I would think, (low(er) class city residents perhaps?), and then try to get into the city in the middle of a crowd when they're less likely to be noticed? Priests are also an interesting idea, Menel. Since not a lot is given about the nature of the "cult", we would have a little leeway to work with their concealability.

Sophe
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #353
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

My save is filled in. Let me know if all is okay. If not, I'm open to changes.

I have us mounting up on horses but haven't said anything about a changed identity for the Lady. If someone wants to bring up that identity issue now, please go ahead.

-Regin

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 07-01-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:02 AM   #354
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'll take care of it, Regin. I think I'd like the confilct almost certainly to arise with Inzi playing Abarzadan's wife, if Him doesn't mind. I mean... if nothing else, they're going off to save Inzi's real husband, and upon sneaking out of the city, the true couple couldn't show any feelings except, perhaps, friendship.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM   #355
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

How ironic. Abarzadan's father wanted him to go to Armenelos in order to find a wife. I guess he did, after all. The faked marriage makes sense, since Inzi has to ride double with someone anyway.

One note, Regin. In your post you mention that Thoronmir is gone. Is he? Menel just posted recently to state that he was still around.

Whatever you decide works best is fine with me. Let's get into that city!

Last edited by Himaran; 07-01-2005 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:59 AM   #356
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

I edited my post so that Thoronmir is not gone but absent. He will rejoin us outside the gates of the city. I have also asked Abarzadan and Inzillomi to ride together.

Does this work

- Regin
Old 07-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #357
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Looks good Regin. It fits in well with what I wrote. Can't wait to see your characters' reactions to Inzi's [second] request.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #358
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Unless Feanor or Regin have something to add, my post got us on the road. Let me know if it needs editing. I left responses up to you.

- Him
Old 07-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #359
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

TB12! What a bind you've gotten the three characters in! How are they going to get out of it? This reader is eager to find out. Great writing!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #360
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himaran on the rpg thread
The "sister" gag would not work because Inzi did not even closely resemble either of the men.
"Gag" is an anachronism, Himmy

The rest of it looks great!