The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2003, 01:27 PM   #81
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

Dude. Gandalf is WIZARD. Wizards don't DO physics. <P>(Man, if I was a wizard, I wouldn't do physics either. I'd stand up in the middle of lecture and haul myself to the ceiling by the seat of my pants in front of my professor. How cool would that be?! )<P>But seriously, the whole Gandalf vs the Balrog while airborne is just amazing. Jeez people. This is fantasy. Pretty much every character is in some way superhuman, yet still very believable. This whole double entendre of character is supposed to happen. <P>And if Legolas leaping onto a horse was a bit stiff, then hey, nothing is perfect.<P>Also, much earlier, someone in this post mentioned that Aragorn could hear the Uruk-Hai and yet had trouble hearing the Rohirrim until it was almost too late. I believe he says "The Earth groans under their feet." Meanign the Uruk-Hai, of course. I thought that had to do with his almost Elvish ability to use something beyond the regular five senses and listen to nature.<P>And I thought that when he was tracking Merry and Pippen and he suddenly halts at Fangorn, it is a sudden realization that they may have entered into these woods. I thought Fangorn had this air of mystery and potential danger b/c of the Huorns, trees that had gone slightly "bad" if you will. Also, Ents were not the type to socialize. they kept to themselves, and didn't much care what happened in the world. No one really knew that much about them. Fear of the unknown, perhaps.<P>I dunno... I think a lot of you are nitpicking, but if you really want to nitpick, I think you ought to go further, b/c you will see that Jackson and his actors were right in 99% of what they did.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #82
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

*looks sheepish*<BR>I wasn't trying to nitpick, please don't get me wrong! I was simply drawing attention to a few places in which the way a shot is filmed, or a line is said makes it odd, and the comic potentiality therein! I usually haunt Middle-earth mayhem, that's where this comes from, and it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously!
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #83
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Secondly, it seemed a bit nitpicking to complain about the poor tomatoes in a universe filled with Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Wizards, Orcs, Balrogs - where the chief villain is a giant, flaming eye, who has nine undead kings as some of his most important servants... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You forgot talking trees.<P>On-topic:<P>One scene that drives me crazy is in TTT when Gandalf and the Riders of Rohan charge down onto all these orcs with pikes. I'm sorry, but there is no way that the poor horses (not to mention the <I>people</I>) could have survived that. PJ killed Shadowfax!!! <P>Also, I get really nitpicky about Saruman's robe. It should have shimmered, dang it!<P>(Don't mind me, I've lost my mind. Now, where is that thing? I know it's around here somewhere...)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:54 AM   #84
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One scene that drives me crazy is in TTT when Gandalf and the Riders of Rohan charge down onto all these orcs with pikes. I'm sorry, but there is no way that the poor horses (not to mention the people) could have survived that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The orcs dropped their pikes due to the blinding light coming from behind the riders.<P>H.C.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #85
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Funny, I must not have seen that due to the blinding light.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:56 PM   #86
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

In FOTR they did a great job with the different characters' sizes in relation to each other. Now why in TTT do they constantly mess up with Gimli? They show him sorta the right size at Helm's Deep but when Eomer's riders have them surrounded why does he come up to Legolas's shoulder?<P>PS I want to know EXACTLY where when Legolas trips in TTT.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:51 PM   #87
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to see the actually shot again to comment, but scale was obviously not nearly the issue in TTT that it was in Fellowship. Gimli was the only issue and I strongly suspect that half the time you see him it is actually his scale double and no real special effects or perspective shots were used like in Fellowship.<P>That's an easy thing about a character that's all hair and armour. It's easy to make someone else look like him.<P>H.C.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 PM   #88
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't like the part in which Gandalf mounted Shadowfax for the first time. I guess this is a mistake, because Shadowfax had stirrups after Gandalf mouted. Maybe I just am nitpicking, but that annoys me.<P>Burzdol
Old 06-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #89
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that the scene that I hated the most was Faramir screaming "NAZGUL!!!!!!!!" in TTT. The way he opens his mouth in slow motion makes me want to yell at him, "Close your mouth before those Nazgul steeds do something in it!"
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:00 PM   #90
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I wonder why nobody noticed this.<P>When Frodo and Sam are watching the Easterlings going to Mordor, they are facing south toward the gate. The Easterlings should be coming from the left, but instead the movie shows them coming from the right.<P>-------------------<P>"I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."<P>"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #91
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Easterlings should be coming from the left, but instead the movie shows them coming from the right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can't remember whether they are actually described as Easterlings in the film. But, in the Book, they are Haradrim from the South. As Gollum says:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Smeagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And that is why they were marching towards the Black Gate from the right - they had come up through Ithilien.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #92
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, that's what I had assumed, until I saw some of those official stills calling them Easterlings...<BR>I got really annoyed by Aragorn falling off the cliff...but maybe because that's not in the book.<BR>And about the danger in Fangorn Forest...well Aragorn hadn't been in it, had he? He and Boromir, and even Legolas, had no idea about what made the woods so feared. They were warned by Celeborn to avoid them. Ok, so I have no idea about how that has any relevance whatsoever, never mind...
Old 07-12-2003, 01:27 PM   #93
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The whole warg attack bothered me. I mean, they could have used that time to poison Frodo! Later on, though.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #94
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The whole warg attack bothered me. I mean, they could have used that time to poison Frodo! Later on, though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Or to have Gandalf break Saruman's staff.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:29 PM   #95
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really enjoyed LEgolas's horse trick, it didnt look fake....<P>has anyone ever noticed, that when they are at the Door of Durin, Gandalf says "mellon", which is ELVISH, but shouldn't it be in Khuzdul...<P>and Gandalf does let go on the bridge of Khazad-Dum
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #96
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually what happened was that Celebrimbor of Eregion (who was an Elf) helped make the doors, so perhaps when Narvi (the Dwarf who worked on the doors) finished actually building them, it was Celebrimbor who came up with the password, since it was he who "drew these signs" on the door.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:01 PM   #97
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The whole warg attack bothered me. I mean, they could have used that time to poison Frodo! Later on, though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Why leave out the warg attack? It fit well with the movie. Most people don't have any problem with it. Although I do think they could've elminated Aragorn's cliff-falling accident, Aragorn's remembrance of Arwen when at Rivendell, & Farimir's insistance on taking the hobbits to Osgiliath. THAT would've left plenty of time for Shelob & the wizard confrontation. <BR> <BR> Iarwin: I'm with you. I loved the closeness to the books that FotR had, then was upset with some of the drastic changes in TTT when I expected roughly the same closeness (silly me ). And the Aragorn vs. Sauron matchup slated for RotK truly has me FREAKED!<BR> <p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #98
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And the Aragorn vs. Sauron matchup slated for RotK truly has me FREAKED!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know, I actually liked the idea. There really should have been more to the Battle of the Morannon than a troll falling down on Pippin or eagles attacking the ringwraiths. Plus people will probably want to actually SEE Sauron in the final battle instead of just hearing about him (myself included).<p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 07-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #99
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Ah yes, but it sounds like another one of PJ's, "Hmmm, lets see. Oh THIS would look cool! Lets add this!" moments. Sauron needed the Ring to take his form, not a time deadline expiring. & Aragorn gets smacked around a bit before the Ring gets destroyed? Right. Sure. Lets all just stop & remember how Sauron was taking 10 to 15 guys out with ONE, count 'em ONE swing in the 'history' before FotR. & yet Aragorn survives a couple? I guess if PJ wants to go back on something he's already filmed, that's his problem, he can digs his own grave. & answer his own LOTR fans. The ones he has left anyway.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #100
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Maybe 10 or 15 guys did get smacked around... but I didn't see Isildur go down that easy. Also, Sauron was wearing the Ring when he did THAT.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:52 PM   #101
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Isildur didn't go down so easily because he was never hit by Sauron. I did see Elendil ( I think that was Isildur's father's name ) goe down quite easily after he was hit. And it doesn't really matter weather he's wearing the Ring or not, he'd regained enough power that he only needed the Ring for his physical form, & to GUARENTEE victory. Aragorn shouldn't last as long as he will. Something else to hate PJ for! <p>[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #102
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

How about in TTT at the beginning of the Battle of Helms Deep when Gimli is complaining about the lack of action. Then Aragorn yells "Ladders!" in elvish and Gimli says "Yes!"<P>I'm positive Gimli does not understand elvish in the movies after the Lothlorien scene in FOTR so is this a gaffe or can someone explain it?<P>-Maikafanawen
Old 07-21-2003, 08:27 AM   #103
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Ah, yes. That's been brought up before in other places, no explaination for it yet. It IS rather strange...