The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question How would you feel?

This morning at about 1:45, I finished The Fellowship of the Ring. I know I have two books to go, but nonetheless I felt sad. I always felt sad when I finished a book when I was a kid--in a way, I'm already "dreading" what will happen in TT and the end of ROTK. Just wondering if anyone else got emotional over a book like I do.
(The last few pages with Sam talking to himself about Frodo leaving "without his Sam!" really got to me. Oh, dear.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )
Quote:
"Just hold on a moment and I'll get my stuff!" cried Sam eagerly. "It's all ready. I thought we should be off today. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:19 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually cried when it was all over. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And your pic is awsome! It's a real slideshow! Where'd you get it?

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always get emotional at the end of ROTK. I always end up reading that last chapter like 10 times before I actually relize it is over.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I cried.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I always get emotional at the end of The Return of the King, not only because of its bitter-sweetness, but because the story is over. I wish that Tolkien would have written more books about the Hobbits [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did a book report on ROTK and in school while I was answering the question on how the book ended and how I felt about in a study hall and I just started to cry right there in class! Sooooo embarresing, but I don't care! I loved it!
Old 04-20-2002, 06:02 PM   #8
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

if you think the end of Fellowship was heartbreaking, wait til you get to the end of ROTK! I cried so much when i read that part. I still read it over and over and get tears in my eyes every time. I cried because of what happened (sooooo sad!!!), and also because it was over. You get so attached to the characters throughout the duration of the epic journey, and "parting is such a sweet sorrow"!

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Jessica Jade ]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 06:48 PM   #9
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Oh, my gosh! I didn't realize it DID that! Whoa! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Anyhow, I got it at Sideshowtoy.com--the picture is of a statuette I ordered that should be coming next month!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Where did you come by that, Sam?" asked Pippin. "I've never heard those words before."
Sam muttered something inaudible.
"It's out of his own head, of course!" said Frodo. "I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up by becoming a wizard--or a warrior! "
"I hope not." said Sam. "I don't want to be neither! "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-20-2002, 06:53 PM   #10
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried at the end of Return of the King, I couldn't believe it was over. Then I read the Appendices (and found out what happened after the end of the story) and started crying again. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2002, 08:13 PM   #11
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Manelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I cried at the end of the third book...it was so sad and I didn't want it to end. But I also wanted to scream because of the way it ended. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to ruin it for you.

I am reading Silmarillion right now, and I cried at the end of the chapter called 'Of Beren and Luthien' that was realllly sad.
-Manelwen

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Manelwen ]
Old 04-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #12
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes the end of the first book is sad...the end of the second is horrific!! Luckily we can go straight on to the third, but when they were first published, readers had to wait a whole year between reading TTT and getting RotK!! And the end of the whole story is SOOOO sad, but also sweet!!
There is something so wonderful about a book that is so well written that you have to cry! It is like you have really got to know these characters. So, I too wish Tolkien would have written more stories with these characters in them...but at least the story he did write is absolutely fantastic.
I hope you continue to enjoy TTT and RotK.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #13
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Thank you, I know I will.

Actually, I know how it ends--I remember from reading back in Jr. High, and the LOTR cartoon....AAII...I'm just so glad I'm not the only one who keeps Kleenex in buisness... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Quote:
"I don't know about that," said Sam. "But how would this suit? It ain't what I call proper poetry, if you understand me: just a bit of nonsense. But these old images here brought it to my mind."
Standing up, with his hands behind his back, as if he was at school, he began to sing to an old tune.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:34 PM   #14
non_conformist13
Pile O'Bones

non_conformist13 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i cried, but i cry in almost any sad book. what really got me, was that i had spent so long reading the books, and then, poof, just like that, it was over. i mean, what was i supposed to do now? read something else? i couldn't read anything for a long time, just because it couldn't compare with Tolkien's art.

Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed, by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2
non_conformist13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 09:57 PM   #15
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
what really got me, was that i had spent so long reading the books, and then, poof, just like that, it was over. i mean, what was i supposed to do now? read something else? i couldn't read anything for a long time, just because it couldn't compare with Tolkien's art.
Wow. That is sooo close to my own thought I can't even tell you. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Quote:
Watching LOTR
The edge of my seat
hands tearing up a napkin
I liked that movie!

Copyright 2001 S. Uffelman
Old 04-20-2002, 10:08 PM   #16
CelevonNîth

Tolkien

I cried after I finished RotK for the first time, and I still cry every time I read it. That's the horrible part of a book--you can see the end of it getting closer and closer and then when it's there, it's hard to believe you're really finished.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:11 AM   #17
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Quote:
Yes, Samwise! And it even closes down the entire window if you click on the top right! (not recommended)
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:16 PM   #18
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was dreadfully upset too. I just couldn't believe they'd left me. Whoever said about them being really well known to you, it's right. They become your friends. As a reader you are part of their fellowship. Which is of course all part of Tolkien's writing skill. I felt numb and unable to read other stuff for a long while after I completed the three books. I feel kind of the same about the films too. I used to go to the movies almost weekly and now nothing interests me except my beloved Middle Earth.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:47 AM   #19
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I was dreadfully upset too. I just couldn't believe they'd left me. Whoever said about them being really well known to you, it's right. They become your friends.
thats exactly what i felt. it was bad enough at the end of rotk, but after reading the appendices i was devastated. it really is like losing family, i felt i was the only one left.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:14 AM   #20
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

I cried a lot after Frodo finished his quest, just from pure relief. And i'm not a big cryer at all. Also I was misty through most of the second two books. When I was done, I couldn't handle the separation and had to go back and read again (also to catch details I missed from reading fast to see what happened). Now, no matter what I am reading, I'm also reading something Tolkien.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: The Half-Hobbit ]
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:18 PM   #21
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And your pic is awsome! It's a real slideshow!
Well, I was just wondering Samwise.....what does it do?
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:54 PM   #22
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried at the end too
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 PM   #23
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I too cried at the end of RotK, and the TT, and FotR. I'm a sap. After the first time, when I get to RotK, I can only let myself read every few days, because I know the end is coming. I agree with whoever said the characters are like family. There is an almost grieving period when the book is over.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:36 AM   #24
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I haven't finished LotR yet. Yestereve I reached the end of the paths of the dead. The way your talking about the end, it kind of makes me want to read only 10 pages a day. At the end of TTT, I didn't cry. I never was that emotional, so I didn't cry there. Actually I was kinda happy. I knew Frodo wouldn't die before he completed his quest. So for Sam to reunite with his master I knew was going to be a great part of the book. I hope the end of RotK isn't as sad as all of you make it out to be. I know I won't cry, but I know I'll fell sad and lonely about it. Actually I am kinda emotional, but I try not to show it.

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 04-28-2002, 06:45 AM   #25
hilma86

Question

I cried when I finished the TT and I cried in the end of Rotk too (over an hour)
I thought I was going to die in that moment when I realized that it`s ending...

Now I`m gonna start to read it again, but I`m a bit afraid... because its so sad in the end...
but I`m still gonna read it. It so fantastic! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2002, 09:34 AM   #26
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Every time a good book is finished, I become misty-eyed and pensive. The book is over, and a tiny part of my life is over too. I have to move on. It's hard sometimes, it's like dragging yourself out of a warm bed and a sweet dream at 7 a.m. on a winter morning. That's why I always end up re-reading my favourite books.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:19 PM   #27
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel about the same as you Lush, have done since I was a little kid. About every book, but I feel really sad when it´s got something to do with Tolkien´s books.
Well, everyone has already explained the emotions so well, so I won´t bother you with it more.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote