The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril A Touching Thought...

I seem to remember someone saying that in "The Red Book of Westmarch" it is mentioned somewhere that Legolas left Rivendell in love with Arwen and mourning that he could not have her.<P>Well, I remembered that after the first time I saw "The Two Towers" and it actually puts a new spin on Legolas's return of the Evenstar to Aragorn. It is kind of like, when he is giving it back, he is accepting Aragorn as Arwen's lover and accepting that he had to move on. There was something in Orlando Bloom's eyes in that scene that actually, in my eyes, portrayed that, even though they didn't openly state, "<I>Ai, dan <B>im</B> aníron Undomiel!</I>" (Translated, means, <I>Ah, but <B>I</B> desire Evenstar</I>).<P>Did anyone else know about this beforehand? Because it really gave the scene a whole new, touching meaning to me. Or am I just completely reading into this too much?
Old 12-29-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

*looks skeptical* I'm no Tolkien expert, but I'm sure I've never heard anything like that about the red book. Are you sure it wasn't in a fanfic? Because actually to me, it's not a nice thought. I mean, if it had actually happened, it would've been sweet of Legolas, but we all no there was never any question about who Arwen loved
Old 12-29-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Never heard about that either. Ugh, Legolas and Arwen? I don't know about that! I think it was just a look of care for Aragorn (don't think gay!) I mean he was a good friend of Aragorns and I thought it looked more like a look of understanding and support to Aragorn because at this point Aragorn believes Arwen has left ME and that is the gift given to him by her, like the memory of their love, it should be emotional like to give that back to Aragorn and for Aragorn to receive it back.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:04 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whaaaat the?!<P>Maybe Orlando's fanclub got a copy of the Red Book. <P>I'd have to say, don't believe everything that "someone" tells you. I think the OrlyClub has got to them. The fiends! They will stop at nothing!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:59 AM   #5
lossentilien

Sting

I noticed it, but at the time didn't know anything about Legolas and Arwen. <BR>It was a very touching scene and makes a little more sense now. I assumed that they'd cut something out cause it felt like I was missing something.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:11 PM   #6
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

No, I remember that I learned it back when we had "The Books 1" and "The Books 2". It was in "The Books 2" I remember...Lossen: you remember it too? Then I'm not completely daft? Good, at least I'm not losing my sanity...
Old 12-31-2002, 04:17 PM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Do you have a quote? I would like to see if Legolas really was interested in Arwen. After all, Elrond would probably have been more willing to give up Arwen to an elf prince than to a human king.<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:21 PM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

No, like I said, I just remembered it kind of freaking me out when I read it, so that's the only reason I remember it...probably was cleaned out in that big Forum clean-up they had too...I wish I had printed that out now...
Old 01-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
lossentilien

Silmaril

I remember reading something about it. Just can't remember where. But it does explain the atmosphere in that scene. Did you see their faces, there was some emotion in there that wasn't explained in the film, they just looked really sad, or defeated.<BR>Anyway Vanima, thanks for the reminder, it was confusing me.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #10
daisy brambleburr

Pipe

I thought of another way that scene could be interperated.<BR>Eowyn says to Aragorn something like 'what lady gave you that jewel?' and then Aragorn has all his Arwen flashbacks and doesn't answer. When Legolas is giving Aragorn the Evenstar Eowyn looks like she thinks that Legolas is the 'fair maiden' who gave him the jewel. Thinking of it in that way makes me crack up.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, that's absolutely beautiful... I can see that, although it never crossed my mind before.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
Tinuviel87
Haunting Spirit

Tinuviel87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel87
Silmaril

I'm confused by this thread...i'ts an interesting concept, and it makes sense in terms of the movie, but not really the books. Is it maybe just a rumor started by someone who saw the movie and has some vague knowledge of the books? I'd like to see direct evidence, because otherwise it just sounds kind of like an Orlifan idea however, if it is true, then we clearly underestimated Tolkien inner romantic... <P>~Lomiel
Old 05-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #13
babsies
Pile O'Bones

babsies has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

quoting here<BR>"When Legolas is giving Aragorn the Evenstar Eowyn looks like she thinks that Legolas is the 'fair maiden' who gave him the jewel."<P>i can understand if eowyn thought that way. i mean legolas does have long hair. and the whole looks that were exchanged
Old 05-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #14
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Legolas left Rivendell in love with Arwen and mourning that he could not have her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Huh? I'm not familiar with ALL of Tolkiens writing, but I doubt this very much! It's certainly not mentioned in LotR books (including appendices) anywhere. Sounds like a rumour to me.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:00 AM   #15
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It is kind of like, when he is giving it back, he is accepting Aragorn as Arwen's lover and accepting that he had to move on. There was something in Orlando Bloom's eyes in that scene that actually, in my eyes, portrayed that, even though they didn't openly state, "Ai, dan im aníron Undomiel!" (Translated, means, Ah, but I desire Evenstar).<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree, and watching parts of scenes on the extended DVD, there is a part (not in the movie but in the doco.) Where they are leaving Rivendell and Legolas comes to Arwen and touches her cheek and leaves...<BR>It would make more sense.. <BR>*thinking* Poor Legolas, never told anyone how he feels!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:24 AM   #16
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Funny you should mention this. i had funny ideas about this when I first read the books. however, I was only ten at the time, so I assumed later on that I had misread something. But i always thought that legolas had feelings for Arwen. Cant think what gave me that idea, though.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:01 PM   #17
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I've always thought that Legolas got the shaft when Tolkien was doling out romances-Gimli too. I can see where this would fit, but I too am not so sure I can believe it until I see hard evidence. But if it were true, I can now rest see why Legolas would pick Gimli as his hetero life mate (alludes to the wonderful world of View Askew and Kevin Smith ). Who could ever move on from Arwen?
Old 05-11-2003, 05:04 PM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Someone is going to have to read the books again and see if they find anything on it. I'll skim my copies a bit. If I find anything I'll post a page number.