The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien In a hole in the trench there lived a soldier

...Or, in other words, another hint in Tolkien's writings about his experiences of World War One.

Quote:
In a hole in the ground thre lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, [...]: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

~TH, An Unexpected Party
Compare:

In the hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a dugout, but a proper dwelling.

What do you think of this parallel? It looks like visions of the war still popped up in JRRT's mind unconciously. Did you notice any other instances where there are, as if, references (read: NOT allegories) to either World War? Other moments of Tolkien's life?

I know that there was a similar thread about parallels to the Wars somewhere, but I can't remember the name and the search was not fruitful. If someone finds the thread(s) a mod should probably delete this one.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 10-14-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Galadriel55 is online now   Reply With Quote