The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien and Psychedelics

Admittedly, this is a broad topic, and one that I'm not completely positive has it's place in the "Books" forum (Admins, please feel free to move to a more appropriate place). I don't have a specific question, nor a particular avenue for debate, but would much rather open this thread for a wide and general discussion of psychedelics, transformative experience and altered perception in relation to Tolkien and his works.

Such writers, doctors, ethobotanists and philosophers as Dr. Andrew Weil, Terence McKenna, Stanislav Grof, Giorgio Samorini, and others have long postulated a fourth human drive (in addition to sustenance, survival and procreation) to seek, at times, altered states of consciouness and perception. While this could certainly be a discussion in and of itself, there is much in Tolkien's work that falls very much in tune with both this hypothesis and with the associated experiences described...

I am currently beginning a re-reading of The Lord of the Rings and my reading of my favorite chapter Three Is Company (coincidence that the "Three" might also describe the three Elven rings, as well as the three Hobbits?) prompted me to consider this topic.

There is much in Frodo's encounter with Gildor that resembles a traditional psychedelic experience, and the prose is poetically replete with descriptions that lend themselves to the experience of altered consciousness. For example:
"The hobbits sat in shadow by the wayside. Before long the Elves came down the lane toward the valley. They passed slowly, and the hobbits could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes. They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet. They were now silent, and as the last Elf passed he turned and looked toward the hobbits and laughed."
The Elves behavior, and attitude towards the Hobbits in this scene also perfectly describes a state of altered perception. They are at once both perfectly in tune with nature and the woods around them, and at the same time aloof and detached. Tolkien describes the scene, several times, as, "being in a waking dream."

So much of this scene is surreal, from the unlikely appearance of the wooded hall in the greenwood, the beds prepared for the Hobbits in the boughs of the trees, the Elven drink... it's a timeless moment. And one that echoes of the dream world, the under mind, and altered perception. In the trilogy no other scene (save perhaps Lothlorien) speaks as powerfully of the subtly strange and different---and psychedelic---mindset of the Elves as does this.

I'd like to open this thread to a discussion of altered states of consciousness in Tolkien's life and his work.

Last edited by Sardy; 01-05-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No, no, we must differentiate here.

Eating weird mushrooms and licking paper soaked in LSD is NOT the same as Elves passing by.
Now of course we all sometimes want to be in a fairytale place, and of course we wish we were floating around with dragons etc. but things don't happen like this in the Seventh Age of M-e.

However, back in the Third Age things were different. Firstly, it is important to realise that for the Hobbits the encounter with the Elves was literally otherworldly, they had never seen Elves before, and all these things seemed to be an otherworldly experience, but in the end Elves were a reality of the world and although due to their powers and knowledge they seemed magical they were in the end fairly normal and ordinary. For the Elves all that they were doing was normal, even Galadriel is a bit surprised to hear the word magic used to describe the Mirror I believe.

So, I'd conclude that whatever the Elves were doing it was by no means anything psychedelic for them only relatively perceived as such by the Hobbits.

Furthermore, in these experiences people want to do it, they voluntarily put themselves through a certain process to experience a new state. Elves just were that way, so what should they be doing in that respect?
Also, I am not entirely sure, but as far as I know the Professor was not a big fan of experimental drugs. Firstly, his Catholic upbringing would surely make him an opponent and secondly I believe I read somewhere that he disliked hippies and such, who were at that time some of those experimenters.

The topic seems interesting and I have no doubt that a nice discussion will emerge of this.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the quick response! Before jumping the gun, I should say that in starting this topic, I specifically shied away from mentioning things like "Eating weird mushrooms and licking paper soaked in LSD" or even specific drug use of any sort (though it should not be demonized or out of the realm of discussion, either). There are many, many forms of altered consciousness besides drugs---from spinning in circles to to transcendental meditation, from lucid dreaming to religious experience, from genetic makeup to brain injury, psychological conditions to evolutionary digression. Many forms of altered consciousness are indeed "normal", and experienced naturally. One thing I wish to avoid in this discussion is a heated debate of the morality and ethics of the drug phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Now of course we all sometimes want to be in a fairytale place, and of course we wish we were floating around with dragons etc. but things don't happen like this in the Seventh Age of M-e.
That's not at all what I am driving at or looking to discuss (although things like Ent draft, Elven wine, pipe weed, etc. might contradict your statement---(I would also defer to Dinah Hazell's wonderful The Plants of Middle-Earth which is an invaluable resource in learning more about the physiological, psychological and spiritual uses of "drugs" in the first three Ages of Middle-earth). Rather, I am looking for a discussion of altered states of consciousness---psychedelic experience (from Aragorn's "vision" of Moria to Frodo's dreams of the sea)---however they may occur: whether invoked by higher powers, sought out through meditation and pipe-weed, prompted by rings of power, or naturally occuring states of consciousness as in the Elves (perhaps in part a side effect of immortality?).

Regardless of the cause or the duration, the Elves DO indeed exhibit an altered perception from that of men (and other mortals). I am curious as to discussing how this plays out within the story, as well as breaking down the third wall to discuss how Tolkien perceived and created the different mindsets of his characters and races.

Quote:
So, I'd conclude that whatever the Elves were doing it was by no means anything psychedelic for them only relatively perceived as such by the Hobbits.
Well, then---their perception of the world around them, and their state of consciousness, is certainly psychedelically different than that of the Hobbits (and of the reader), isn't it?

Quote:
Furthermore, in these experiences people want to do it, they voluntarily put themselves through a certain process to experience a new state.
Not necessarily. Or at the very least, that wasn't one of my intended points. While altered consciousness certainly CAN be a voluntary experience, I don't think---especially in a fictional work---that it must be so.

Quote:
...as far as I know the Professor was not a big fan of experimental drugs. Firstly, his Catholic upbringing would surely make him an opponent and secondly I believe I read somewhere that he disliked hippies and such, who were at that time some of those experimenters.
I did some Googling before starting this thread and couldn't find ANYTHING on this topic. But I would be very interested in learning about Tolkien's experiences with and/or feelings about drugs (including pipe-weed and alcohol), altered consciousness, and psychedelic experience! Likewise, I'd be very interested in learning more about how the psychedelic movement of the sixties (and beyond) embraced Tolkien and Middle-earth, how they perceived it and what it meant to them...

Quote:
The topic seems interesting and I have no doubt that a nice discussion will emerge of this.
I certainly hope so!!!

Last edited by Sardy; 01-05-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
I see the connection. Both (fantasy and psychedelics) may be used cheaply for momentary thrills, of course. But if taken seriously, both can also open a window on perceptions that are deeply personal--perhaps spiritual. Many who respectfully use natural substances to alter their state of mind report that they experience an enhanced connection to nature, and a reinvigorated love of beauty. Often the shift in focus persists, as if the person suddenly realizes how vain the constructed world around them is.

There is a clear parallel here with the elves, whose connection to nature and perception of the spiritual is fundamental to their peculiar identity. Additionally, how often has reading fantasy aroused some longing in you for a simpler world and a more natural life? A more direct involvement of your inner self in your day-to-day existence? This is exactly the kind of pursuit that motivates many who deliberately alter their state of mind.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmmm...I would have to say that Aldous Huxley and JRR Tolkien are at opposite ends of the literary spectrum as far as how they sought inspiration. I don't see Tolkien, a staid Oxford don, as a Baudelairean hashish-eater (Tolkien's poetry is not evocative enough for a full blown trip, like Coleridge's 'Kublai Khan'). And perhaps the anonymous writer of Beowulf hallucinated due to ergot poisoning after eating some bad rye bread, but Tolkien's inspiration came directly from the Norse, Finnish, Greek and Anglo-Saxon, and bedtimes stories written to delight his children.

Reading about his home life, it would seem a few pints at the Bird and Baby was about all the stimulation Tolkien needed to write his mythos. Jim Morrison he was not.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Reading about his home life, it would seem a few pints at the Bird and Baby was about all the stimulation Tolkien needed to write his mythos. Jim Morrison he was not.
Though by today's attitudes towards cigs, booze and stodge, he was quite decadent If Tolkien saw the state of Oxford pubs today he'd be mortified - having to lurk on the pavement for a rushed intake of nicotine instead of actually enjoying a langorous smoke of a cigar or pipe while sitting by the pub fire; being monitored on your intake of beer and hectored to get up and do 50 star jumps in every TV ad break...I think he'd be horrified at the freedoms we have given up.

But in any case, great topic!

Yes, I've noticed a LOT of incidents in Tolkiens writing which have struck me as very 'trippy', and even the demeanour of the Elves themselves suggests they are not quite of this world but somehow exist between two dimensions - which always makes me think of Blake's vision of angels amongst many other 'uncanny' things.

Without being near any biographical tomes to check, I can only offer some notions about Tolkien's own experience... For one thing, Catholicism is a deeply mystical and colourful faith with its saints, icons, incense, ritual etc. so if anything his faith would lead him more towards the 'trippy' (I think I'd prefer to call it visionary, actually) imagery, rather than away from it. And another thing to bear in mind is his interest in dreams and the symbolism of them, something we see reflected in his writing - I have often wondered if he did any of this 'lucid dreaming', if such a thing exists...

Anyway, there's a few things...quite randomly as is appropriate for such a topic
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy View Post
I am currently beginning a re-reading of The Lord of the Rings and my reading of my favorite chapter Three Is Company (coincidence that the "Three" might also describe the three Elven rings, as well as the three Hobbits?) prompted me to consider this topic.

There is much in Frodo's encounter with Gildor that resembles a traditional psychedelic experience, and the prose is poetically replete with descriptions that lend themselves to the experience of altered consciousness. For example:
"The hobbits sat in shadow by the wayside. Before long the Elves came down the lane toward the valley. They passed slowly, and the hobbits could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes. They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet. They were now silent, and as the last Elf passed he turned and looked toward the hobbits and laughed."
The Elves behavior, and attitude towards the Hobbits in this scene also perfectly describes a state of altered perception. They are at once both perfectly in tune with nature and the woods around them, and at the same time aloof and detached. Tolkien describes the scene, several times, as, "being in a waking dream."

So much of this scene is surreal, from the unlikely appearance of the wooded hall in the greenwood, the beds prepared for the Hobbits in the boughs of the trees, the Elven drink... it's a timeless moment. And one that echoes of the dream world, the under mind, and altered perception. In the trilogy no other scene (save perhaps Lothlorien) speaks as powerfully of the subtly strange and different---and psychedelic---mindset of the Elves as does this.
A fascinating topic! I'm not quite sure I would use the word 'surreal' to describe this scene. After all, "Three's Company" is the chapter with the self-reflective fox, and Sam saying his farewells to the beer barrel in the cellar and Frodo not selling his wine cellar to Lobelia, so many things are possible.

I went back and reread this chapter and one thing that came to my mind was how like the elves are to Buddhists in their compassionate detachment and how like this shimmering is to eastern philosophies of universal light and healing energy. Whether it is Qi Gong, or Ki, or Reiki, or prana, eastern cultures have a strong tradition of mind/body meditation and reflection--to say nothing of Ayurvedic medicine with its herbs and healing hands.

Like Lal, I would not use the word 'psychedelics'. It is of too recent a coinage (Dictionary.com places it at 1956; haven't checked out the OED yet) to suit Tolkien's ethos. After all, Tolkien's work begins with his interest in the historical development of language. In his study of languages, did he learn Sanskrti? Do we know what books and lore Tolkien might have learned of from the east?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
An interesting idea for a topic indeed, now I am not in a situation to post on lengths here, but I will bring forth only one thing that has not been mentioned yet, and I think it's a point to consider.

At least when I think of Tolkien's imagination and what this journey to Elsewhere means for him, if you read his essay On Fairy-Stories, you get a bit different impression: that is, I believe mainly it was human creativity, respectively, human mind's creativity, to carry one to the lands of Elves. So, if I compare it to the abovementioned methods of bringing one into such states, when the point is in fact letting go your conscious self (be it by means of various meditation techniques or by use of narcotics), I believe Tolkien's vision of Faërie depended far more on creative movement of his own mind, not in "extasis". Now, at least to compare with another fantasy (ahem) author, I also now remembered H.P.Lovecraft (and especially his "Ex Oblivione", if anyone had read that) - when in some of his stories people travel to "dreamlands" or face a different reality (such as in the short story "Polaris", where a man sees a strange city in his dreams and eventually becomes confident that he actually lives there), there are the dreams and again people's subconscious or unconscious mind which are the means to get to the "other place and time". Tolkien vehemently protest against dreams having anything to do with fantasy again in "On Fairy-Stories". This is why I believe he would not actually consider the methods of getting in different states of mind as "true way" (or if you wish, "Straight Road") to get to Faërie.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Did Tolkien dream the drowning of Numenor?

I seem to remember from the Notion Club Papers that the character did, but did the author?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
J.R.R. writing, from Letters:

Quote:
"This legend or myth or dim memory of some ancient history has always troubled me. In sleep I had the dreadful dream of the ineluctable Wave, either coming out of the quiet sea, or coming in towering over the green inlands. It still occurs occasionally, though now exorcized by writing about it. It always ends by surrender, and I awake gasping out of deep water. I used to draw it or write bad poems about it.....I began an abortive book of time-travel of which the end was to be the presence of my hero in the drowning of Atlantis. This was to be called Numenor, the Land in the West. - LETTER 257
He goes on to say that he brought the original legend of Numenor "into relation with the main mythology."

So, yes.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Dream dream dream

Thanks Beregond!

I thought I remembered something about that but didn't have sources on-hand.

Therefore at least some of Tolkien's writing was inspired by what one might call an 'altered state' ie dreams.