The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sauron, Morgoth and the lust for beauty

What role did the admiration for beautiful things play in the mind of Sauron and Morgoth?

This question bothered when I was thinking about Sauron's Ring scheme. Sauron went to great lenghts to control the elves in a profound (yet more complicated) way, when he just could have used military force to enslave them or simply kill them all. Why did he do that? Was it simply impossible for him to overcome his greatest enemies with the traditional means of warfare? Or was he, in a very twisted way, fond of the elvish race?! The depiction of Sauron and his plans in PJ's movies can illustrate this contrast. While watching them I got the impression that Sauron's endgame consists of the following stages:
1. Bring Middle-earth under your control.
2. Let your pathetic,uncivilized and monstrous servants inhabit all of Middle-earth.
3. ???
4. Profit
Why would he want that? Were his motives really just destructive?!
My thesis would be that Sauron wanted to control the elves on a substantial level to aquiere (or rather take part in) their craftsmanship and intellectual capabilities. Sauron envied and hated the elves; but envy relies on some kind of admiration.

While I was thinking about this, another example came to my mind: Morgoths theft of the Silmarils. You could argue that all he wanted was to destroy the happieness of valinor and to drive a wedge between the Elves and the Valar. This is undoubtedly true. But Morgoth also wanted to take part in the beauty and bliss of Valinor by obtaining the Silmarils. The Silmarils on their own had no practical value for him: They don't grant greater power in warfare or the domination of minds, like the Ring does. They are even harmful to him, like physically rejecting his touch by burning him and bending his neck under their weight when he wears them in his crown. In a way he is unable to fully appreciate and enjoy their presence but he keeps them close. He doesn't lock them away somewhere and he refuses to give them to Ungoliant. Morgoth gets drawn by them but at the same time he's never really able to have them.

What do you think about this subject?
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
This question bothered when I was thinking about Sauron's Ring scheme. Sauron went to great lenghts to control the elves in a profound (yet more complicated) way, when he just could have used military force to enslave them or simply kill them all. Why did he do that? Was it simply impossible for him to overcome his greatest enemies with the traditional means of warfare? Or was he, in a very twisted way, fond of the elvish race?!
Sauron's plan behind the Rings, especially concerning the Elves, was said to be thus:

Quote:
Seeing the desolation of the world, Sauron said in his heart that the Valar, having overthrown Morgoth, had again forgotten Middle-earth; and his pride grew apace.....Men he found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth, but for long he sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for her knew that the Firstborn had the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.
The Silmarillion Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

From that, it seems that Sauron had no special liking for the Elves, other than as the most useful slaves available. He would also, I think, have taken a twisted pleasure in corrupting the first, fairest, and wisest of the Children of Ilúvatar.

Quote:
While I was thinking about this, another example came to my mind: Morgoths theft of the Silmarils. You could argue that all he wanted was to destroy the happieness of valinor and to drive a wedge between the Elves and the Valar. This is undoubtedly true. But Morgoth also wanted to take part in the beauty and bliss of Valinor by obtaining the Silmarils. The Silmarils on their own had no practical value for him: They don't grant greater power in warfare or the domination of minds, like the Ring does. They are even harmful to him, like physically rejecting his touch by burning him and bending his neck under their weight when he wears them in his crown. In a way he is unable to fully appreciate and enjoy their presence but he keeps them close.
The desire for light and life on the part of Evil is a recurring theme. Morgoth listed for the Silmarils, which contained the very light of the Trees he'd been instrumental in destroying. Ungoliant was greedy for the beautiful gems Morgoth had stolen from Formenos.
In FOTR, Aragorn describes the Ringwraiths as "desiring and hating" the blood of the living.

Evil longs for Light such that it recognizes the longing, and hates it all the more. The Evil realizes how fallen and barren it is without Light, and wants to "possess" it, not share in it, which would require a turning away from the Dark.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien addressed this at length in some of the essays published in Morgoth's Ring, especially the one titled "Melkor Morgoth." When I have time I'll type some relevant excerpts.

For now suffice it to say that Morgoth and Sauron had somewhat different motivations and objectives.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Sauron's plan behind the Rings, especially concerning the Elves, was said to be thus:

Quote:
Seeing the desolation of the world, Sauron said in his heart that the Valar, having overthrown Morgoth, had again forgotten Middle-earth; and his pride grew apace.....Men he found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth, but for long he sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for her knew that the Firstborn had the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.
The Silmarillion Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

From that, it seems that Sauron had no special liking for the Elves, other than as the most useful slaves available. He would also, I think, have taken a twisted pleasure in corrupting the first, fairest, and wisest of the Children of Ilúvatar.
But that's part of my question. That the elves would be useful slaves is true. But useful to what means? And when Sauron recognizes the elves to be the fairest and wisest among the Children of Ilúvatar, he also acknowledges these traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin
Tolkien addressed this at length in some of the essays published in Morgoth's Ring, especially the one titled "Melkor Morgoth." When I have time I'll type some relevant excerpts.

For now suffice it to say that Morgoth and Sauron had somewhat different motivations and objectives.
I know that Morgoth and Sauron had different motivations, so keep in mind that this topic is tied to the relation between motivation and lust for beauty. Their motivations can be different and still match up in this matter.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
But that's part of my question. That the elves would be useful slaves is true. But useful to what means? And when Sauron recognizes the elves to be the fairest and wisest among the Children of Ilúvatar, he also acknowledges these traits.
Sauron had knowledge of the Elves from their beginning. He knew of Morgoth's capturing them, likely using them as a template for Orcs, and forcing them to work at Angband. As the Firstborn they had the most power of all the Children, and the immortality and immunity to sickness they possessed would have been attractive.
Sauron, in fact, did bring about a plague in Middle-earth, which allowed him to re-enter Mordor. I'm not saying that was a prime motivation for wanted to enslave Elves, but perhaps a small part.