The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Aule-Master_of_Crafts

Sting Who do you like better????

Out of the two Elven Kings of the First Age who lived in a complex of caves who do you like better??? Finrod Felagund or Thingol??

Also what type of elf would you most want to be: Telerin/Sinarin, Vayarin or Noldorin.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finrod, he was more noble and did not in the end sucumb to evil like Thingol. Finrods claim to the Silmarills was to help a friend and remain true to his word whereas Thingol become greedy and selfish and wanted the Silmaril for himself
Old 11-24-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This opinion thread seems better suited for Novices and Newcomers. I'm moving it there now...continue to post on it in that forum.

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 11-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You really want to know, don't you, Aule-Master_of_Crafts! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Actually, although I think Lord Elrond said it all very succinctly, I'll add my vote! Personally, I'm a Finrod fan. Any Elf who can go tooth and claw with a werewolf deserves respect! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But, really, I have issues with Thingol that won't quit, and Finrod, to my mind is a much more admirable character (one of the most admirable, IMO!). I think Beren had the right idea when he criticized Thingol's choice of assignment to him in exchange for Luthien's hand. (Turned out he had to exchange his own hand in the deal too!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Of course, you could introduce the idea into the Psychological Depth in Tolkien's characters thread in Books to see whether they think that Finrod's upstanding, noble and generous traits make him less interesting than the complicated Elu Singollo! (Or not!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] They seem to be in a quandary (a very interesting one, though!) about whether Tolkien's characters had psychological depth, whether it is necessary, and also if an unambiguously good character has less depth than one who has 'issues,' such as Thingol. Or, for that matter, if Beleg Cuthalion, for being an unquestioning good friend to Turin makes him less interesting or not, since Turin clearly had an 'interesting' psyche, although I'm still mad at him for many reasons... But I digress! Thanks for letting me spout! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love Thingol. He is, in my own humble opinion, one of the most interesting characters in JRR Tolkien's works. His disposition is always ambiguous and never clearly illustrated. At times he will do what the reader least expects, and this is something that I find very rare in Tolkien's works (though I hate to admit it). Felagund is also one of my favorite characters, but his personality never seems to be as fully developed as that of Elwe Singollo. If we are talking about which one I would prefer to befriend, however, I would say Finrod, since Elu Thingol sometimes comes off as a bit of a grouch and is not always as wise (the whole business with the Dwarves and the Nauglamir) or valiant (sending off poor old Beren to a seemingly hopeless fate in return for his daughter) in his decisions as is Felagund.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Thingol was harsh towards other races for no good reason, which I don't really find admirable.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
ya i agree with eomer i think finrod was a very good king fighting with werevolves and all.
but thingol was a harsh towards other races and he at last fell into evil
Old 02-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #8
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Let me sum up my analysis -

Elwe was more interesting and realistic character
Felagund hewer of caves was admirable though unreal

As I value loyalty and pride and valour above all else, I must say I like Finrod much better.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Well I am divided because as characters, I really like them both. I kind of agree with Lord of Angmar.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I like Finrod better. I think it is really cool how he gave up his own life to save Beren's and fought the werewolf. Thingol is an interesting enough character but I think Finrod is much more honorable.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the second part of Aule's question. So I will answer it: I would probably prefer to be a Noldorin elf. I don't know why, it just appeals to me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

The Mushroom has just left Hobbiton.
Finrod's my favorite. In fact, he's one of my all time favorites! He was brave, noble, friendly toward other races, and he gave his life to save Beren. Thingol, on the other hand, seemed proud, aloof, intolerant, and his lust for the silmaril brought about his death.
If I was an elf, I would want to be... one of the Vanyar maybe. It would be nice to live in the Blessed realm. I think the Teleri are cool too though.
The Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Elwe was more interesting and realistic character
Too right.