The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #1921
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
~ You finally get your uilleann pipes, and the first thing you do is attempt to play the Shire theme...and you continue until you manage to play it halfway decently.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #1922
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
You seriously consider applying to a college based purely on the fact that Tolkien went there.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #1923
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
You seriously consider applying to a college based purely on the fact that Tolkien went there.
You apply to colleges based on the fact that Tolkien experts teach at them.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #1924
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps we should just say that Tolkien generally heavily influences your educational choices.

For example, taking Linguistics and citing Tolkien as your first introduction to the subject.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #1925
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
When you've proudly translated "Rome has no pants, Rome needs no pants" in the spirit of Gondor on your Latin classroom's overhead and left it to be discovered.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:29 AM   #1926
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
When you dress up on History Day as a thinly veiled copy of the Two Towers archer elves...

When you have read so much LOTR lore that you actually get a headache reading about any other fantasy world! I envy the day I could remember all the different magic spells in Harry Potter (sigh).

You hear any person bad-mouth Tolkien books or Tolkien and start writhing on the ground in pain going "Aure Entuluva! Day shall come again!"

When even the local computer geeks call you a nerd darn-it!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 AM   #1927
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
You Paint a Red Eye on your shirt and you start trying to convert other people
Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #1928
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You've managed to convert even your mother, a long-term LotR disliker, into someone who will happily sit down and watch the films - if supplied with chocolate that is.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #1929
lothlorien

lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I get really annoyed when people relate LOTR to HP.

God do I get so annoyed when people relate LOTR to HP they're completely different Harry Potter is ok but it's nowhere near the scale of the genius or brilliance that is LOTRS it just can't compare. I actually like Harry Potter as well but it's no where as good a series as us obsessive fanatics all know lol. And the idea of them relating is just laughable the only similar thing they have in common is that Sauron and Voldemort are both referred to as the dark lord. But I'll bet she stole the idea.
lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #1930
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
When you start saying Lebennin instead of Leblon

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #1931
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When your professor writes ME on the board in your history class, you have to constantly remind yourself he means Middle-East, not Middle Earth.

Yeah...this became a slight problem for me last semester in my Western Civilization course.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #1932
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When you can quote the movie without any words, just mmming in the right tone, and your sister can guess what your saying, who said it, to whom he said it, and what movie.

My sister and I used to be able to quote the FOTR movie from start to finish, unextended. Unluckily we are no longer able to do that.

--Finduilas--
Finduilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #1933
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
My sister and I used to be able to quote the FOTR movie from start to finish, unextended. Unluckily we are no longer able to do that.
I wouldn't say it was unlucky. At least now you can watch it and go - "A-ah!" at a particularly sweet or sad part that you didn't remember!

-- Folwren
Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #1934
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know you're obsessed with LotR...when you begin to sympathize with the Witch King in his final moments after get a little Chihuahua who likes to stand up and scratch you in the back of the knee with his tiny little claws...inhuman cries fill this house at times!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #1935
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
When your friend *cough* Laurinque*cough* who was previously obsessed with Hairy Pooper, is now making all of our friends in our lunch group annoyed with LotR talk! (which most of them have either read LotR and TH or are in the process of reading them... but I've read more than all of them! I'm in the process of reading HoME and have already read the Sil!)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #1936
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Reviving this thread

Like mentioned elsewhere...

When the word lego makes you first think of Legolas.

(And my mind just made some odd twist and I almost ended up writing "makes you first stink of Edoras". )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #1937
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you're the only one in the building who might know the names of LotR action figures...and all your co-workers know to call you.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #1938
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When your lecturer uses a Tolkien example, mistakenly says that Eowyn is Theoden's daughter and you (admittedly along with the 5 or 6 males in the class) mutter loudly that he means niece.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #1939
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...Ka/ilovsam.jpg

When you go to the Seattle Art Museum, and you sincerely explain to the man passing out these pins that, "I love him too, he's such a great character." and the man thinks your nuttier than the dada exhibit.

This happened a long time ago, but at least my friend got it after I explained how versitile this pin could be...

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #1940
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
When your lecturer uses a Tolkien example, mistakenly says that Eowyn is Theoden's daughter and you (admittedly along with the 5 or 6 males in the class) mutter loudly that he means niece.
Pathetic or just plain good sense and bildung? Well, that's the question...

... just thinking it from outside the Tolkien universum...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #1941
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
When you've fought to defend Frodo's honor. Please don't ask me, it was painful.

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #1942
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
When you accuse you Mom of "Spoiling a nice fish," every time she makes fish sticks.

See? You made him mad.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #1943
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Okay, after this we'll leave you alone. I had a Clay picture of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum on Mount Doom. Unfortunatly, I also had the Eye. My mom accused me of being a wich and screamed until I took it down...

See? You made him mad.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #1944
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When you start thinking of the Shire while singing John Denver's song: Country Roads.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #1945
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you seldom leave the house without a copy of LOTR and at least one other item from the oevre: currently in my "overflow handbag" I have LOTR, unfinished tales and half the radio series cassettes. And that is being restrained.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #1946
Cirtolthiel
Newly Deceased

Location: ME, no, not Middle-Earth (Sadly) but plain old Maine, USA
Cirtolthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cirtolthiel
Shield

I got to page nine and am still reading these so I don't know if mine have been said but..

- You said that you have to make up a dance for you school play and it turns out to be the Frodo Chicken Dance xD. Everyone starts laughing during rehearsal.

- Your friends who don't even know Lord of The Rings now greet you with 'Mae Govannen' when you walk into the classroom so they don't have to get smacked on the head.

- You school objects are named after Lord of The Rings characters. I have a pencil named Eomer, a calculator named Elrond and a shiny white laptop named Gandalf.

- You finally convinced your friends to read the Fellowship and when you hand the book over, you break into an extremely long speech of how it is basically your bible and if she hurts it in anyway she will have to face the wrath of your sword.

- Your friends decide that if they just nod and pretend to listen you won't kill them. And then when they tell you this you look hurt and ask why they don't want to talk about it.

- You spent an hour during recess and lunch explaining to your LoTR challenged friend about Ents and why the woodlands were important to Tolkien.

- When your stepdad is sitting in his big chair, without shoes on and smoking a pipe, you clap and says he looks like a hobbit... I just did this. xD

- Yours saving up for a Narsil replica but until then just have to use the sword your mum has in her office. (I did this, well, I did all of them but I tried to get it out of the sheath and whapped myself on the head with the hilt thus making my brother and friends laugh at me... then run when I aimed it at them. xD)
Cirtolthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #1947
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Here they go again!

Sorry about this, but we had to butt in...again...
-If you have a pet spider named Shelob...*guiltily raises hand*
-If you've ever called someone a "Fool of a Took."
-If Treebeard is your favorite enviromentalist...
We think we'll leave it to you guys now...

See? You made him mad.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #1948
Cirtolthiel
Newly Deceased

Shield

I called my cat 'Fool of a Took' and he was not amused...

- When you have to pick an artist for a school project you either choose Alan Lee or John Howe. (I just did this today.)

Other than that... I just can't think of anything
Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #1949
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirtolthiel View Post
- When you have to pick an artist for a school project you either choose Alan Lee or John Howe. (I just did this today.)
A friend of mine did this also. I didn't. I chose Tolkien himself.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #1950
Cirtolthiel
Newly Deceased

Thats even better but sadly, my friend beat me to it... literally. she hit me on the head and then told the teacher she wanted Tolkien.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #1951
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Leaf

... it hugely improves your day and makes you feel refreshed when you hear someone playing LotR movie music with a flute in the school corridors ...
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #1952
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

... a friend asks you a question about LotR that should have only warranted a few words in answer, and yet you manage to take up about 10 minutes explaining the ins and outs of the full answer to her question.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #1953
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
When you at a party tell somebody off for not having answered enough Lord of the Rings trivia on facebook

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #1954
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh, my, after all these years, I've probably got a lot of such examples....

...when you use the three books of LotR as HS English Class book reports for three years running, and get away with it because 1). you have to explain the books to the teacher, and 2). you had the same English teacher two years running, and in the second year, he STILL didn't understand them.

...when you take a college course on LotR and wind up teaching the class more than the actual teacher, because you know the book better.

...you sing several selections from the Donald Swann "Road Goes Ever On" cycle for your Master Class, confusing the heck out of the professor running the class (which means, of course, you have to pick "Namarie" to sing for your juries at the end of the semester, just to confuse the heck out of the entire Voice faculty).

...you have an old college friend who, to this day, still calls you Elbereth (and who, in turn, must be called Frodo, because nobody knows who you're talking about if you use their real name).

...you're willing to endure nearly five hours of make-up and costume prep to go to a masquerade as your favorite LotR character, and you're unfortunately not of the right gender... but it works in the end, making the two hours of getting OUT of the make-up and costume worth it.

...you buy a silver GMC Tracker, dub it "Mithrandir," put a decal with the name in the back window (and one of your neighbors finally notices it three years later).

...you devote ten symphonies and suites to interpretations of Tolkien's works, and think you probably have another five or six you could do....

And then there was the example of one of my brothers that got me to read LotR for the first time, 43 years ago:

...you put a fancy embossed opaque dust-jacket on a paperback of RotK so you can take it to church on Sunday, and all the adults around you think you're being good and pious, reading your Bible or prayer book. After seeing him do that and get away with it, I just HAD to read the book to find out what was so interesting about it.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #1955
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Boots

... you say "Tom Bombadil" when you ought to be saying "David Bowie".

Really.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #1956
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
1. When you've out-Tolkiened every-one in your year, and when you see someone reading one of his books, you feel the need to talk to them about it slgihtly *cough* enthusiastically.

2. When you're frustrated that your school library doesn't fulfill your Tolkien desires (it only has LOTR, Sil, BoLT and UT - all of which I already finished in Year 7!, well, except LOTR, which I first read in a few years earlier.)

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-30-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #1957
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When you finally save up enough money to buy your first Lord of the Rings books! It's actually a shame that I haven't bought any sooner. I just got them yesterday and I have been reading them every since!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #1958
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My first copy of LOtR was a paperback boxed set for $45, I bought it myself... a year ago. And I still have it!

You are obsessed with LotR when... You are in Sculpture class and You are supposed to do a sculpture of a quote and of course I had to go with
Quote:
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo going out of your door, you step onto the road and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
And my art teacher was familiar with LotR, so she said I could! I made a wonderful sculpture of the Barrow-Downs, full with logo!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #1959
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlorien View Post
And the idea of them relating is just laughable the only similar thing they have in common is that Sauron and Voldemort are both referred to as the dark lord. But I'll bet she stole the idea.
Archetypes, dear. Archetypes. Sauron, Morgoth, Voldy, they all follow the "evil" archetype. To be exact, the "fallen-angel" one. You'll notice that almost every villain in old stories (like myths, etc) and most fantasy following archetypes and sometimes, if they're lousy enough, strereotypes.

OT: When you fall in love with a guy who resembles Eol in every way... from the height to the hair to the clothes (but not the smithy thing.)

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #1960
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
OT: When you fall in love with a guy who resembles Eol in every way... from the height to the hair to the clothes (but not the smithy thing.)
...Or the willingness-to-murder-his-relatives thing either, I hope?