The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Blind Guardian

Has anyone else heard of these? They have an album called 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' and they're a sort of classic rock band. I've only heard one of their songs - 'Lord of the Rings' (it isn't on 'NFiME though), but it is very good - mostly acoustic, and very emotional. Very memorable tune too.
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lyrics to 'the Lord of the Rings' (it is on the album 'Tales from the Twilight World'):

There are signs on the ring
which make me feel so down
there's one to enslave all rings
to find them all in time
and drive them into darkness
forever they'll be bound
Three for the Kings
of the elves high in light
nine to the mortal
which cry
(solo: Markus)
Ref: Slow down and I sail on the river
Slow down and I walk to the hill
and there's no way out
Mordor
dark land under Sauron's spell
threatened a long time
threatened a long time
Seven rings to the dwarves
in their halls made of stone
into the valley
I feel down
One ring for the dark lord's hand
sitting on his throne
in the land so dark
where I've to go
(solo: Markus)
Ref: Slow down and I sail on the river
Slow down and I walk to the hill
Lord of the rings
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

How about writing a review of the album and adding it to Middle-Earth Music Reviews?! I remember someone mentioning the group and this production some time ago - you might like to try a search on this forum or perhaps on the Barrow-Downs forum (Announcements).
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Typing 'blind' and subject only into the SEARCH brought up this topic from last year: Blind Guardian It was buried in Haudh-en-Ndengin, so feel free to carry on the topic here.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:53 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 01-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

Yeah my friend has that song and its pretty good. They made it sound really epic and great.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:33 AM   #6
Storm

I think there is someone who had that song first, Before nightwish!! But nightwish RULES
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Imrahil
Pile O'Bones

Imrahil has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Nightfall is AWESOME!

OMG I just bought "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" by Blind Guardian...It vividly tells the tale of The Silmarillion...Words cannot further explain how great this album is for Tolkien fans...
Old 09-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Blind Guardian is excellent rock, sometimes heavy, but most of their Tolkien-inspired music isn't as heavy. I think I mentioned Blind Guardian (and Nightwish as well) on another music thread a long time ago. And the vocalist looks like a hobbit as well
Really, listen to Nightfall in Middle-earth. (And Elvenpath by Nightwish, now that I think of it)
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 AM   #9
The Amok

Power Metal? Really?

Cooler music with Tolkien content, one name, Burzum. Check this everyone, raw black metal concerning alot of Tolkien related materials.

Best kind of music.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Ellewen
Animated Skeleton

Location: Somewhere in the woods looking for a place to recharge my laptop's battery.
Ellewen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Did you know Led Zeplin used to write songs refuring and based on charater/places in LoTR?

- Robin Hood
Ellewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:08 AM   #11
feonor
Pile O'Bones

feonor has just left Hobbiton.
The Bards Song

must listening

The Bards Song

Now you all know
The bards and their songs
When hours have gone by
I'll close my eyes
In a world far away
We may meet again
But now hear my song
About the dawn of the night
Let's sing the bards' song

Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

There's only one song
Left in my mind
Tales of a brave man
Who lived far from here
Now the bard songs are over
And it's time to leave
No one should ask you for the name
Of the one
Who tells the story

Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow all will be known
And you're not alone
So don't be afraid
In the dark and cold
'Cause the bards' songs will remain
They all will remain

In my thoughts and in my dreams
They're always in my mind
These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men
And elves
Come close your eyes
You can see them too
Old 10-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
A brief, belated reply here; picked up Nightfall recently and thoroughly enjoy it. The Curse of Feanor and At the Iron Hill are probably my favourites, and the entire album is certainly a good addition to my roleplaying soundtracks.

Heard about this one through the Downs, so I suppose I owe you all a bit of thanks; as well as an idea to consider - has anyone considered doing a track-by-track discussion as Encaitare is doing for the movie soundtracks? I'd start one, but my musical knowledge is so limited that I'd not be able to provide much besides commentary on the lyrics.
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
I enjoy "The Bard's Song" but most of their other stuff is a little too "epic metal" for my tastes.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
All thanks go out to TGWBS for introducing and getting me attached to Blind Guardian. I'm pretty darned fond of all of their stuff that I've heard. The Curse of Feanor just finished up (I've got my library on shuffle) and I noticed this thread. Ironic, isn't it?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Heard about Blind Guardian from this very website (this very thread). Got a free CD with one of their newer songs called 'Turn the Page', which is a beast, and I thought I'd purchase one of their albums.

Obviously chose 'Nightfall in Middle-earth'.

But I'm really disappointed with it. The first song 'Into the Storm' is a blast of a tune (despite some dodgy lyrics), but I just don't enjoy the rest of the album. Poor songs and music.

The other really bad idea is to have a short, spoken bit in between practically every song. As an album it doesn't flow at all. Once I heard the same words a couple of times I got bored. Plus, the supposed wailing, of what I can only presume to be a torture victim, is comically bad. As is Morgoth's (or Sauron's, whoever it is) voice. Don't believe the hype!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #16
LjösÁlfr

Pipe

I'm listening "By the Gates of Moria" right now. I love that one.. Generally I don't listen a lot to Blind Guardian, to be honest, I barly listen to any power/epic/symphonic metal nowadays...

I wouldn't call this album any better then their other though, my favourite song of them in generall is probaly 'Nightfall'.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 AM   #17
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My friends listen to BG and I think they (Blind Guardian, not my friends) have some very good song (like the Lord of the Rings and Bard's Song), but generally I don't bother about their music too much. Anyway I think it's funny how many people know the band here, though.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Can't say I've ever heard them. I tend to go in for much more doomy metal and thrash meself (think the mighty Motorhead and that kind of thing) so when I hear the words 'Epic metal' I often run away. But I picked up a Nightwish CD after hearing them raved about on here and I do like Elvenpath, mostly as it's a bit Goth and reminds me of the Sisters' most excessive moments and makes me feel all Viking.

Where did they get that excerpt of text from that's read out during the song?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
After hearing so much about them on the Downs, I thought I'd finally listen to some Nightfall in Middle-Earth. I'm not really a massive metal fan, but I enjoyed, partically the first half (up to 'Mirror Mirror', which is possibly my favourite song.)

The Bard's Song is also quite good, and actually feels more Middle-Earthy than most of the stuff on Nightfall.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
After hearing so much about them on the Downs, I thought I'd finally listen to some Nightfall in Middle-Earth. I'm not really a massive metal fan, but I enjoyed, partically the first half (up to 'Mirror Mirror', which is possibly my favourite song.)

The Bard's Song is also quite good, and actually feels more Middle-Earthy than most of the stuff on Nightfall.
Try The Lord of the Rings also. That one I believe is pretty good. (Or, at least some versions of it - I remember there were some which were not as good.) Mirror Mirror, of course, is rather typical "top" song, catchy and all. At one point, my friends have been completely obsessed with the Nightfall in general. That's how I got to know them, anyway.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Try The Lord of the Rings also.
Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Mirror Mirror, of course, is rather typical "top" song, catchy and all.
I don't really know if it's the best song, but it's definitely the most catchy.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Will do.
I don't really know if it's the best song, but it's definitely the most catchy.
Certainly not best, I never said that. But it is the "top" song - the kind of song that everybody notices and likes at least to a certain extent; a song that would win hitparades. But don't let me start about what I think about songs which are "massively successful" Mirror Mirror, though, is actually still pretty good song even generally, even for a song that is catchy and easily noticeable and all that.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote