The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2002, 12:40 AM   #1
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Aragorn's changed character

The film was actually quite a marvel, I could see, despite Sam’s rather sad attempt at an English west country farmer’s accent; but one thing spoiled it all really. Aragorn, one of my favourite characters, was transformed from the noble, secret heir of Kings, having prepared with the full care and backing of Elrond all his life to take up the kingship again, to sort of opportunist.<BR>For a start, he didn’t carry the shard of Narsil around with him, instead leaving them at Rivendell and wearing another, whole sword on his belt. While undoubtedly a more practical idea, it took a lot of the romance out of the story and implied that Aragorn ha chosen to take up the life of a nomad, leaving the great task of taking up the Kingship to his descendants.<BR>Secondly, Elrond seemed to have a passionate distaste and mistrust for Men, which goes against the book completely and severely embitters his character. It also tells us that Elrond hadn’t had all that much to do with Aragorn’s upbringing.<BR>As well as this Elrond says that Aragorn has himself ‘chosen a life of exile’ – the final blow which takes Aragorn’s character from the noble Nśmenórean with a purpose that he is, to an opportunist who seems to say, at the last minute as it were, ‘Well, seeing as they’re going that direction anyway, I’ll just tag along and see what happens.’ <BR>It’s needless.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:27 PM   #2
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam's attempt which you say isnt even an attempt, it's how Sean Astin sounds like. Sam is a bit of a slow hobbit, not as bright but twice as devoted kind of thing, very nicely done by Sean Astin, he should get a supporting role nomination.<P>Aragorn did not loose any of his nobility. At leats not to me. He did not carry the shard because Arwen is bringing the shard to Helm's Deep, forged back into the sword itself. It is to deepen the romance between the two.<BR>And he didnt just tag along, Gandalf asked him to take care of the hobbits and he swears his loyalty to Frodo. When he lets Frodo go and when he kisses Boromir goodbye, those are two of the most moving moments of his, he shows great nobility but he is also a ranger and that duality is well incorporated, I thought.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep. Could'nt have said it better my self. Sam was'nt really how i wanted him thoe. But I think that Aragorn is extremly good. Theres nothing to complain about there. "Agent Elrond" is also very good in his role and his mistrust to the human rase only makes the movie better. At least I think so. Anyone thinks different?
Old 01-10-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Maeglin:<BR><STRONG>"Agent Elrond" is also very good in his role and his mistrust to the human rase only makes the movie better. At least I think so. Anyone thinks different?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yea just because he was Angent Smith in a completely different movie, hell Sean Bean does contact lense commercials and Elijah Wood was Huckleberry Finn... Orlando Bloom played a punk kid with a mohawk, viggo mortenses was an amish man in Witness, joh rhys-davis played the fat guy in Sliders, Christopher Lee was Dracula, Ian Mckellen was evrything but a wizard... dont judge characters by the roles they had before the movie, judge them by their characterization of the character. Yes Elrond is mistrusting of humans, so wouldI be if I was an elf. Elves are not those beautiful creatures that everyone thinks them to be. They are quite stuck up and arrogant, that comes with immortality.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:13 PM   #5
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Enkanowen, I think you misunderstand. It's not that people can't get past the characters Hugo Weaving has previously played. I think it is more that lovers of the book were a bit shocked by the harshness of the "movie Elrond". In both the Hobbit and LOTR he is helpful and wise, and he has a great love for Aragorn. He also does not have that disdain for men or dwarves - after all, he is a peredhel (did I spell that right?), a "half-elf, half-man" - how can he hate men? His acting is fine, he did a wonderful job, and, I thought, looked the part. But, the harshness was very unexpected. I did not dislike the Rivendell scenes, however, it was just different than I had imagined.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
rhudladion

Sting

Gwaihir:<BR> You hit the nail on the head! Aragorn's character in the movie grieved me. I think that you described him perfectly as an opportunist. As I have expressed in another thread, PJ could have cut some of the silly battle scenes and used the time to develope Aragorn. I would love to have seen just 2 extra minutes in Bree of some interaction between Aragorn and the Hobbits, revealing a taste of his true character: humble, powerful, patient, confident.<P>I think we all need to take a good look at gwaihir's member number. Not that we are not all entitled to an opinion, and not that Gwaihir can't be wrong...but he probably knows his Tolkien pretty well!
Old 01-10-2002, 03:32 PM   #7
rhudladion

Sting

Accidental post.<p>[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Rhudladion ]
Old 01-10-2002, 03:46 PM   #8
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I myself was a little disappointed in Aragorns charactor, but I think(and hope) that they will build Aragorn up in the next movie(TTT), especially when they will search out merry and pippin. And maybe make Gimli's and Legolas relationship come together better. I think those few parts can really give respect and admiration towards the charactors(especially Aragorn)from the audience. <BR>The last few scenes in the movie, I thought, was Aragorns best. It really showed how much he cares for the fellowship. You can almost start to see what Aragorn will became.<P>And I couldnt help but everytime I saw Elrond, I thought of the Matrix. I think that because he played such a good part in the Matrix, that I imbeded that image in my head. But when I watch TFOR again, I will try to keep that outta my head.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:45 PM   #9
Joe Harrison

Sting

I dislike the role regulated to Aragon in the movie, also. He may become the character that I read in the books, but right now he isn't. I like most of the ending but not all of it. Why would Aragon leave Frodo at all to go after Merry and Pippin who he hardly seems to interact with in the movie. <P>Merry, Pippin, Legolas, and Gimli are to me the biggest dissappointments in the movie. I like the way Legolas fought but not his interaction with Gimli. Just as Merry and Pippin only seem to be comic relief.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #10
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Maybe the ties between Aragorn and Arwen were deepened, although I certainly missed that Arwen took the sword to Helm's Deep to be forged. What I am stressing is that instead of having prepared all his life to take up the kingship (as Estel and Thorongil etc.), aided by Elrond, who recgonises him to be the one who would save the Numenorean Kingdoms from utter downfall... Aragorn 'has chosen a life of exile'. Elrond seems to dismiss him as soon as Gandalf suggests that he should go along with the Company. It is only after a bit of persuading that he lets Aragorn go, and Aragorn himself decides at the last moment. Really, Aragorn would have been a definate first choice to accompany Frodo.<P>Just before the Fellowship left (in the book), Aragorn is said to be stooped, withdrawn and silent: 'Of all those that stood there, only Elrond knew fully what this hour meant to him.' For the full ninety or so years of his life, he had <I>prepared</I>. In the movie he had apparently decided at the last minute.<P><BR>By the way,<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Accidental post.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>See the little hammer and chisel above your post? Click on that to edit or delete it.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:39 AM   #11
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gorolithion:<BR><STRONG> Why would Aragon leave Frodo at all to go after Merry and Pippin who he hardly seems to interact with in the movie. <P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>thing is... Aragorn lets Frodo leave because that is the path that must be taken. It is in the book. Aragorn has to save Merry and Pippin because they are his friends he is fond of them he doesnt want them to be tortured to death. And Frodo CAN take care of himself
Old 01-11-2002, 12:52 AM   #12
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

He doesn't know where Frodo is, and Frodo has the Ring, so if danger threatens, he can be invisible. However he <I>does</I> know that Boromir's horn is blowing, and that Boromir does need help.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:26 AM   #13
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Aragorn was portrayed as more humble and less noble in the beginning of the film, he did however take on a more noble air later. I still though he was played fairly well.<BR>The point they were trying to get across with Elrond was how Isildur had the chance to destroy the ring and he didn't, but using the race of men as an example.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:39 AM   #14
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

they increased Arwen's part at the expense of Aragorn's strength of character
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:33 AM   #15
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

And at the loss of Glorfindel in the film. Ever since the animated one came out in the 70's, I've been hoping a live version would be done with Glorfindel included.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:47 AM   #16
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center>I dont remember where...<BR>But I remember from somewhere in one of Tolkein's books that Aragorn was not allowed to marry Arwen until he regained his throne... which is one of the main reasons why he was always preparing himself...<P>Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:50 AM   #17
rhudladion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gorolithion:<BR><STRONG>Why would Aragon leave Frodo at all to go after Merry and Pippin who he hardly seems to interact with in the movie. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Are you saying that because the interaction between Aragorn and Pippin & Merry was so trivial in the movie (as compared to the book) that sticking with the book and having Aragorn chase after them instead of Frodo seemed silly?<P>If you are, I see you're point!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:20 PM   #18
Maeglin
Wight

Sting

Well, there are some different situations here.<BR>Frodo made the decision to travel along alone and Aragorn respected that. Merry and Pippin got freaking captured by orcs! (and would highly possible come to die if anyone did'nt care to rescue them).<P>To the next time my friends... <BR>Maeglin, son of Aredhel
Old 01-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #19
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

Actually, I thought they escaped, when they played "mindgames" with that orc, and then fled into Fangorn and meet up with the Ents. But it does show what love Aragorn had with his friends in his attempt to rescue them.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #20
Maeglin
Wight

Sting

I know, I know. But im writing through the fellowships perspective. Do'nt tell me that they knew that Pippin and Merry would escape beacause they read their own book?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:57 AM   #21
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

Pipe

I hear what your saying, and of course they didnt know that they woul escape. Thats why I said... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But it does show what love Aragorn had with his friends in his attempt to rescue them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 PM   #22
Maeglin
Wight

Sting

Oki, missunderstod.<p>[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Maeglin ]
Old 01-15-2002, 05:13 AM   #23
Paladin

Sting

I like the "Agent" as Elrond,but did anyone else laugh when he said that line about the strength of men failing?<P>It reminded me too much of the matrix,that speech he gives about how humans stink...
Old 01-15-2002, 07:29 AM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Haunting Spirit

The Mirrorball Man has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by amyrlis:<BR>I think it is more that lovers of the book were a bit shocked by the harshness of the "movie Elrond".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In the case of Elrond I don't think the changes were made to modify the character, but rather to turn him into "Mr. Exposition". Peter Jackson needed to explain to us about Elves, Men and Dwarves, and their conflicting points of view, and that was included in Elrond's speech, changing the character in the process. But without that speech, half the audience would be wondering about the difference between Men and Elves, and they wouldn't know that the small bearded men were Dwarves.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:46 AM   #25
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paladin:<BR><STRONG>I like the "Agent" as Elrond,but did anyone else laugh when he said that line about the strength of men failing?<P>It reminded me too much of the matrix,that speech he gives about how humans stink...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's what the flashback to Isildur in the Cracks of Doom was for, to explain why he said that.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:52 PM   #26
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting

I dont know, I just saw the movie again last night.<P>I didnt see Aragorn as being an opportunist. He was the second one to speak up after Frodo says he will take the ring (Gandalf being first). <BR>The Prancing Pony wasnt a cut-throats den, it was a pretty happy bar full of happy drunks. Not too far off from the book, silly songs aside.
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote