Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Abduction in Edoras Discussion Thread

JennyHallu invites you to play in:

Abduction in Edoras

~*~

NOTE: This RPG has spun off from a subplot in The Eorling Mead Hall thread in Rohan - post 245 there begins the subplot.

It is open ONLY to players presently writing in the Eorling Mead Hall thread or to those gamers already on the Rohan Gamers’ Lists (see Post 1 in the 'Rohan Rules: The Golden Hall'.)

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-03-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Basic Storyline:

Linduial of Dol Amroth, first cousin to Queen Lothiriel of Rohan, was in Rohan on an informal visit to her cousin, staying in the Eorling Mead Hall under the protection of Lord Eodwine of the Middle Emnet. Her visit had lasted for only a few weeks when she lost her party at the annual Horse Fair in Edoras. Deciding to return to the Hall to await them proved to be a bad idea: busy crowds forced her into an unsavory section of the city, and she was kidnapped by an unscrupulous lord of the Rohirrim for the surely considerable ransom her status can command.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The purpose of the story is to rescue or ransom Linduial.

This means we will know the story is over when Linduial has been safely returned to the Mead Hall and the protection of Eodwine.

Starting Location: Edoras

Likely destination: The country estate of Linduial’s captor (physical location yet to be determined) - and then a return to Edoras
Old 05-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the 4th Age at around year 15.

The storyline itself or plot covers 3 – 4 weeks.

This game requires a time commitment of 6-10 weeks from me, the game owner and from the major players. (And may be extended as needed at the discretion of the game proposer so that the end goal may be achieved)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

JennyHallu's vision of the storyline for the game:

Week One (gametime): Story will begin as all Mead Hall characters return to the Hall to organise a search for Lin. Ransom letter is delivered, Lin is transported to a country estate, Rescue party assembles, Degas is dispatched to inform Lin’s family of the kidnapping.

~*~

Week Two (gametime): Lin becomes restless in captivity, interacts with jailor and kidnapper. Rescue party identifies kidnapper, locates estate, and begins journey. Degas arrives at Dol Amroth, treats with Lord Farlen and Lin’s brothers, begins return journey to Rohan.

~*~

Week Three (gametime): Lin attempts to rescue herself. Rescue party arrives and SUB-QUEST: helps her to recover her belongings (Basket belonging to Kara of the Mead Hall, Doll intended as gift for Lèoðern, Masterwork dagger intended as gift for Degas of the Folde). Lin, rescue party, and Degas return to the Mead Hall to regroup, wrap up, and celebrate.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-03-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

WRITER/CHARACTER LIST

JennyHallu
  • 1.) Linduial of Dol Amroth (aka: Lin)
  • 2.) Marenil of Dol Amroth
  • 3.) Lord Farlen of Dol Amroth
  • 4.) Queen Lothiriel of Rohan
~*~

The Kidnapper:
  • Taralphiel - Sorn
The Jailor:
  • Firefoot - Scyld
Minions:
  • 1.)Anguirel - Gurth
  • 2.)Alcarillo
    • Osfrid
    • Muriel
~*~

Commander of the Queen’s Guard
  • Firefoot - Haleth Reidrbrand
King’s/Queen’s Men:
  • Folwren - Deren
~*~

Writers/Characters from the Eorling Mead Hall thread at present.
  • 1.)Folwren - Thornden son of Thrinlite
  • 2.)littlemanpoet - Eodwyne of the Mark
  • 3.)Celuien
    • Garstan
    • Lèoðern
    • Garmund
  • 4.) Feanor of the Peredhil
    • Degas of the Folde
    • Farahil son of Farlen
    • Adrigil son of Farlen

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-06-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Character types which would not belong:

Any not listed in the Characters Needed section
Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I won't be around at all today. Any posting from me will have to wait until tomorrow. Just so you know.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm planning to post tomorrow as well, but not tonight. Lots of errands to run. I'm in between trips now...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Will Degas be required, do you think, before he gets to Gondor?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Post up. We see that Garstan underestimates Lin, though his heart is in the right place.

Will he and can he join the rescue party? I don't know for the same reasons that he doesn't know what to do.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Though Saeryn won't take part in this, as far as can be seen, Garstan should know that if he leaves, she will care for the children as best she can, and certainly with the help of the entire rest of the remaining household.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Question

So . . . is the consensus that the post be moved between 3 & 4?

If so, let me know and I'll do so.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think it fits best there. Others' thoughts?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Hama's post moved to follow Taralphiel's post, #3.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 AM   #15
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I will try to get a post up with Marenil sometime today. If I don't, I ask everyone to look at the Calendar to know why.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Just checking in, so you don't think I've disappeared!

I have a post in the works, the usual act of Sorn enjoying the glow of his own brilliance *giggles*

Would anyone like me to work their characters in? I might put Gurth in for a bit. Would you mind, Anguriel? I think Sorn's taken quite a liking to him and his wonderful hound!

Tara
Old 06-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There would be a regular guard or two at the gates of Edoras, wouldn't there? So when Deren and the his companions reach the gates, the place is not going to be completely abandoned, is it?

-- Folwren
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'd say there are probably guards at the gate already.

And as for an interview with Sorn, perhaps an acquaintance of his could mention he's been caught up for a while now in some plan of revenge, and a party could go to interview him (with that evidence) while the rest of the group finds Torim.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Me again! I've been excited by the burst of activity here, and want to keep it going. Torim is at the Fair, and he shall come forward with his information only after a party has been dispatched to interview Sorn, or when I am informed by the Rescue Party that they are ready, if that plan has changed.

Folwren (Deren) will not be here until next weekend, however, so let's try to time Osfrid and Muriel's arrival to coincide with her return, so that Deren can question the couple at the gate. I was wondering if it might turn out that the two find themselves almost trapped at the Inn while the rest of the rescue takes place...depends on how timing works out.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #20
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, that helps. Any idea what to put together, Celuien & Folwren?

My sense is that Eodwine will have Thornden and Garstan come with him to seek out likely places where information might be garnered. Other inns? Marketplaces? Perhaps we should construct what has happened on this day on the discussion thread before posting up?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
My sense is that Eodwine will have Thornden and Garstan come with him to seek out likely places where information might be garnered. Other inns? Marketplaces? Perhaps we should construct what has happened on this day on the discussion thread before posting up?
That makes sense. I'd think that marketplaces and inns would be great places for news, and logical places for the group to check.

Also, we could work in whether or not Sorn is on that list of suspects (I don't remember seeing any comments on the list), and whether or not anyone has been eliminated from the list by being too far from Edoras. The geography question has been on Garstan's mind, and was probably asked at some point during the day.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

My save is filled. The boy is sleeping. Degas won't reach Farlen's estates for at least two or three days.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #23
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
That makes sense. I'd think that marketplaces and inns would be great places for news, and logical places for the group to check.

Also, we could work in whether or not Sorn is on that list of suspects (I don't remember seeing any comments on the list), and whether or not anyone has been eliminated from the list by being too far from Edoras. The geography question has been on Garstan's mind, and was probably asked at some point during the day.
Who's on the list?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #24
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Who's on the list?
Just what I was wondering.

I suppose that Sorn should be on it. It would certainly make our job in the search party easier. We could make up some additional potential disaffected Rohirric nobles to be on the list as well. But if a few of the suspects are more than a day's ride fom Edoras, they could be eliminated, leaving the seach party with maybe 3-5 possibilities, including Sorn.

So during the day, maybe the party asked around the taverns and marketplaces about those suspects and heard from Sorn's acquaintance about his bad mood. Unless we're moving too quickly.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #25
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I suggested Manawyth's accuser Cuichelm as an option earlier...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #26
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield

Here is the latest follow-up on the "Bertwald & Hilda" sub-plot. Please let Foley and me know what you think.

Quote:
Eodwine reached the gate of Edoras and found Deren with the other guards.

"Greetings, Deren! I hope your thankless chore at the gate has paid you in some bit of news. What know you of this Bertwald and Hilda?" Eodwine smirked. "The wife seems to have mistaken your King's Markings for robbers' crests, if you can believe it! Do you remember the pair?"

"I remember the pair," Deren replied, walking forward. He placed his hand on the horse's shoulder and looked up at Eodwine. "They came through not long ago, just after dark. Said they were on their way to see the woman's dying mother and had to stop here on their way. Why do you ask? Has something come up?"

Eodwine wondered at that: the woman had spoken nothing of a dying mother. Had the man? Eodwien could not remember that he had. It was suspicious. Then again, anything and everything seemed suspicious these days. Eodwine scowled, not liking that he was suspicious first.

"They have come to the Mead Hall seeking shelter for the night. What think you of the pair? Tell me all your mind about them."

“Well, I do not rightly know, sir,” Deren replied. He knit his eyebrows together, wondering if something had happened and asking himself all the while why the Eorl had come all this way to question him on the matter. “This job has made me question everybody, for real and in my mind. I did wonder that they came so late, but I do not suppose we can really hold that against them too much. He spoke strangely, sir, to tell you the truth. All day we had people coming through here and they did not know why they were stopped by guards and most of them didn’t say much. They just answered the questions straight and went on. He. . .well, he talked, but without making his point quite clear. But maybe it was only my imagination.”

Deren scratched his head. He was talking in circles and that certainly would not help in the matter. “I would just keep an eye on him, my lord,” he finished. “If he fails to leave tomorrow morning early, then there would be real cause to worry. He told me that they were only stopping for the night, and when I asked him if he’d be leaving tomorrow morning, he said ‘I imagine so!’ and I let him pass."

"My thanks, Deren. I will watch these two and see if they leave early tomorrow. If we could spare men, maybe we should have them followed. I will give the matter thought. Good night to you!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefoot's post

Upon his return to the Mead Hall, Eodwine went directly to Haleth and asked him to his own rooms for a talk in private. Once there, Eodwine went straight to the point.

"I know not if you heard Bertwald's own words as to the greeting he and his wife were given at the Gate. I spoke to Deren who was the very guard this Hilda claims to have mistreated her; or I should say, this Bertwald claims that Deren was, shall we say, overzealous. Deren told me that it seemed this Bertwald talked more than need be. That suggests to me that he may be crafting a bed of lies, as they say. I admit that I have no other call to think ill of the man, but these are bad times. So I would ask of you that the couple be watched. Maybe they will lead us to the fiend who has taken Linduial."

Haleth hesitated. Where did one draw the moral line? "In normal times, such would not even be thought on," he answered slowly. "As like as not it is simply an innocent couple staying here the night. Would not watching them be near the same as questioning those nobles on our list simply because they meet our guidelines?" But then what had been the point of guards at the gates of Edoras if Haleth was not going to take their word when someone seemed suspicious? "I would be loath to have them followed in the case that they are innocent people. But if they do not leave the Mead Hall in the morning, then yes, have them watched. If they leave, let them go."

Eodwine was unsure of Haleth's thought, but Haleth was the ruler in this matter. He nodded, "Aye, that is well."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

So, lmp I'm supposing you can move Firefott's post to wherever it needs to be moved? (See her post #294 on this thread)

~*~ Pio, helpful, but confused

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-09-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #27
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Very nice twist.

I'll edit my filled in save later so that Garstan's comments to Torim still make sense, given that he would probably know about what was going on.

Are they still being followed in the current day? Knowing where they're headed could be useful information now that the clear connection to Sorn is in place.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #28
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Very nice twist.

I'll edit my filled in save later so that Garstan's comments to Torim still make sense, given that he would probably know about what was going on.

Are they still being followed in the current day? Knowing where they're headed could be useful information now that the clear connection to Sorn is in place.
Well, that's a problem. I intend to write a follow-up post in which Eodwine recommends to Haleth that Bertwald and Hilda be watched and followed. In fact, Firefoot, what say you and I PM-build that post? And we can see where it leads? It's going to be perhaps tricky to keep this lead from developing into too much by Day 4 when Torim finally comes forward, but we'll do what we can to not mess with that, right Firefoot?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sounds good to me.

I'm slowly realizing the implications of this though... they're followed, then they don't leave the city like they say... perhaps they somehow manage to lose those following them - do they assume they've left the city? And then they're able to actually leave because out-bound traffic wasn't being so well monitored? Hm...

Or what if Haleth decides not to have them trailed? I'm not sure about reasoning here, but talk about a mistake...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #30
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Haleth saying "no" would be the simplest way to take care of it. I would be fine with that. However, such a decision will no doubt have implications down the road. .... which could be fun. I'll PM you and that'll give you a chance to have Haleth respond as you see fit.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #31
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, I've fixed my mess.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #32
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I'm alive. Going to go read the thread. I'll try to post, if I'm needed, tomorrow. Not tonight. No more tonight.

EDIT: I do need to post. Tomorrow! I'm really starting to like Scyld, Firefoot...I hope we can work out something lovely to do with him.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
EDIT: I do need to post. Tomorrow! I'm really starting to like Scyld, Firefoot...I hope we can work out something lovely to do with him.
I like him, too! I've liked him almost since the very beginning. He can be turned into a good fellow, can't he?

-- Folwren
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #34
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Not tonight. Sorry. I will post as soon as I can, I promise, but life is chaotic right now. My computer still isn't set up at home. I'm at church.

Can be turned into a good man? I think he was a good man to begin with, just terribly lost in some moral quagmire. An idealist, lost in cynicism.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #35
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tara, you might want to add something to the end of your post about hearing the roar and rumble of many horses coming from the direction of Sorn's lands. Nice post!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #36
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'm going to wait for a response from Tara or Ang before I reply to Jenny's post.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #37
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
At this stage I don't want to tread on Ang's toes by telling how the dagger will end up. I can only assume he isn't seriously wounded by it, as he needs to be able to continue fighting.

With that said, there also is not much I can post about without that details.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT:

Brilliant post, Ang! I'm working on mine right now

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 12-14-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #38
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Just as an FYI: I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend and am not sure if I'll be able to post. (And this is mostly to Jenny If you want to go ahead and continue, Scyld's response to her thrown rock would probably be a brief nod. If the rock that Sorn is coming around is supposed to be Lin's hiding place, Scyld is going to be gesturing for her to make a run for it/get out of there and will himself be trying to get into a better position to fight Sorn.

Oh, and a late happy birthday, Tara.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #39
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

What needs to happen next?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice post, Tara!

I suggest that we can assume that our posts are good enough to be "not proposed". If someone has a complaint, he or she can lodge it here. Right?