The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Immortality and the sons of Elrond

If I remember correctly, at various points in LOTR and the Aragorn/Arwen tale, Elrond asserts that his children will have "the life of the Eldar" as long as he remains in Middle Earth.

After Elrond leaves, Arwen as we know eventually dies - but does anyone have any idea what happens to Elladan and Elrohir, who according to the account Sam Gamgee gives his children, stay in Middle Earth too ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
The end of (Elrond's) sons, Elladan and Elrohir, is not told: they delay their choice, and remain for a while.
Letters # 153

That's what the Professor had to say about it. It would seem that after the departure of Elrond Elladan and Elrohir didn't figure much in the later histories. That would have been in keeping with the accelerating decline of the Elves in influence and importance.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
But couldn't that quote be taken to mean, "I haven't
gotten around to writing it, or maybe I'll keep it
untold to add to that sense of depth I like",
especially since it ends with:

Quote:
and remain for a while.
?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" mentions that when Arwen visits Lorien after Aragorn's death it is deserted. The Elves have left. Presumably Elladan and Elrohir had also left Middle Earth by that time, because otherwise Arwen might have chosen to spend her last days with them.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheHalflings View Post
"The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" mentions that when Arwen visits Lorien after Aragorn's death it is deserted. The Elves have left. Presumably Elladan and Elrohir had also left Middle Earth by that time, because otherwise Arwen might have chosen to spend her last days with them.
What if they had died by that time? Could they have decided to have a life of a human too? Because doesn't it say in the Silmarillion that if you were of Elrond's lineage you could choose whether or not you wanted to be an elf or a human. I vaguely remember reading something about that about two weeks ago.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
What if they had died by that time? Could they have decided to have a life of a human too? Because doesn't it say in the Silmarillion that if you were of Elrond's lineage you could choose whether or not you wanted to be an elf or a human. I vaguely remember reading something about that about two weeks ago.
"The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" indicates that Arwen hasn't aged much at the time of Aragorn's death:

"She was not yet weary of her days, and thus she tasted of the bitterness of the mortality that she had taken upon her."

It appears from the text that she dies of grief and not old age, so it's not clear that Elladan and Elrohir would have died at this stage, had they chosen to become mortal. It has only been 120 years since Elrond has left.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
But couldn't that quote be taken to mean, "I haven't
gotten around to writing it, or maybe I'll keep it
untold to add to that sense of depth I like"
Of course it could. But to me that means any speculation of the fate of the two is just that: speculation. If they chose the life of the Eldar their options were limited to remaining for a while in ME and then sailing into the West, if they could find or build a ship to bear them, or staying indefinitely, until they, in the words of Galadriel, "forget and (are) forgotten". If they chose mortality, they probably had at least a couple hundred years ahead of them, comparable to Arwen, but I would again question whether they were in a position to do anything really meaningful in the Fourth Age.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The implication from The Lord of the Rings is that they chose mortality -- noting that Robert Foster writes: '... and since they did not accompany Elrond over Sea they seem to have chosen to become mortal'

Entry Elladan, The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Eh... Foster's guide is not terribly accurate, having (I think) come out pre-Letters. If I recall correctly it also claims that sailing West granted Frodo immortality which we now know is not the case (and even then, could have guessed that it wouldn't be the case because of the way the events of Numenor played out in the appendices to LotR). Since Celeborn (who apparently sailed at an undistinguished time) also did not sail when Elrond did and we have the additional cases of Sam (probably) and Legolas, there's nothing to say that the sons of Elrond couldn't have sailed sometime in the Fourth Age.

For what it's worth (which is very little) the arguments from a literary standpoint which I've seen fanauthors make when they try to work out which kindred they think Elladan and Elrohir chose usually have them side with the elves: the only two Halfelven who we know sided with mortals had some great good that their choice accomplished. Elros founded the ruling line of Numenor, and Arwen helped to restore the glory of the Dunedain in the Renewed Kingdoms. There appears to be no similar destiny awaiting the sons of Elrond should they choose mortality.

And of course, we can't forget that these are two individuals we're talking about. They don't necessarily have to choose the same way.