The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Mauhur and his lads

If memory serves correctly Gandalf was in Fangorn at the same time as Mauhur and his "Lads". Why didn't Gandalf use his powers to stop them?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Maybe he did... plainly they were of no help to Ugluk
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Let's not forget Fangorn is quite big. Treebeard and others were also there and did nothing. That's one thing; second: even Saruman (or his "ghost", apparition, whatever it was) was out there (a bit later) and nobody did anything (although it is true that one apparition of Saruman probably does much less noise than a band of warriors). Last of all, however: didn't, by any chance, Gandalf just at that point stand "on a high place" and battled with his will against Sauron in order to turn him away from Frodo? I believe this particular event occured just when Gandalf was in Fangorn. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. But it was certainly supposed to happen around that time, and I think in some timeline draft of Tolkien's it was even confirmed to be that way.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Last of all, however: didn't, by any chance, Gandalf just at that point stand "on a high place" and battled with his will against Sauron in order to turn him away from Frodo? I believe this particular event occured just when Gandalf was in Fangorn.
I always interpreted it that he was helping Frodo on Amon Hen. It would make sense based on Frodo's own experience of two conflicting forces trying to push him. So this would have had to happen a couple days before Mauhur and his lads were running through the woods, and most likely on a different high place...

But maybe I'm forgetting something else and you're right, he was just constantly hepling Frodo resist Sauron's will.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Last of all, however: didn't, by any chance, Gandalf just at that point stand "on a high place" and battled with his will against Sauron in order to turn him away from Frodo?

In unpublished notes T said explicitly that Gandalf was "on a hill in Fangorn" when he strove with the Eye over Frodo on Amon Hen. This was two and a half days before "Mauhur and his lads" attempted to break the Riders' leaguer.

And, yes, it's true that Fangorn is quite big, 100 miles from east to west and even more north-south: as big as the whole Shire, and nearly the size of all of Mirkwood south of the Narrows. It's a bit like saying "They were both in Denmark, surely they must have seen each other."
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Looking at Gandalf's actions throughout The Hobbit and LOTR, we don't see him seeking out swarms of armed enemies to personally destroy. Such actions very possibly were prohibited to the Istari, unless in self-defense, to avoid potential power-drunkenness.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I always interpreted it that he was helping Frodo on Amon Hen. It would make sense based on Frodo's own experience of two conflicting forces trying to push him. So this would have had to happen a couple days before Mauhur and his lads were running through the woods, and most likely on a different high place...
Well, it probably also took them a while to get to that place first, and also, maybe after an exhausting "battle of wills" and other stuff (trying to figure out what is happening, what is the forest doing, and what is the general situation since I've just returned from the dead a couple of days ago) Gandalf wasn't so keen to rightaway go and pursue some random Orc warband (of which there might likely have been more around, e.g. some random wood-gatherers or scouts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
In unpublished notes T said explicitly that Gandalf was "on a hill in Fangorn" when he strove with the Eye over Frodo on Amon Hen. This was two and a half days before "Mauhur and his lads" attempted to break the Riders' leaguer.
Yes, that was the one I meant. Thanks for providing that.

Quote:
And, yes, it's true that Fangorn is quite big, 100 miles from east to west and even more north-south: as big as the whole Shire, and nearly the size of all of Mirkwood south of the Narrows. It's a bit like saying "They were both in Denmark, surely they must have seen each other."
And yes, basically that was what I had in mind. We tend to see Fangorn as "oh, one forest, like the one near my house, where I take a walk for half an hour every afternoon". But Fangorn was essentially the size of a whole (smaller) country.

And Inzil's point is also quite a good observation, I'd say.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote