The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #121
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
AKM star-time!

Just before the finals let's see how the AKM-editors have ranked the players in the semifinals.

Five stars will go to:

Tar Atanamir of Armenelos
Tar Telperion of Armenelos

Three stars will go to:

Carcaroth of Angband
Fëanor of Hithlum
Maeglin of Angband

One star will go to:

Ar Pharazôn of Armenelos
Fingolfin of Hithlum
Gwindor of Angband
Húrin of Angband
Oropher of Mirkwood
Sauron of Armenelos

So before the final games the AKM stars are as follows (kicked-out players in italics as usual) - and we have a new leader!!!

16 stars:
Tar Atanamir or Armenelos

15 stars:
Melkor of Valimar

14 stars:
Sauron of Armenelos

13 stars:
Tar Telperion of Armenelos

12 stars:
Carcaroth of Angband
Tilion of Valimar

11 stars:
Fëanor of Hithlum
Felarof of Edoras
Nerdanel of Tuna

Oropher of Mirkwood

10 stars:
Elros of Romenna
mormwolf of TIG

Nazgul #6 of Mirkwood
Thranduil of Mirkwood

9 stars:
Theoden of Edoras

8 stars:
Aredhel of Hithlum
Huor of Dor-Lomin
Maeglin of Angband

7 stars:
Ar Pharazon of Armenelos
Ar Zimrathan of Armenelos
Eldacar of Osgiliath
Elrond of Eregion

Gwindor of Angband
Hurín of Angband
Miriel of Tuna
Shadowfax of Edoras

Tar Ciryatan of Armenelos

Bubbling under... four players at 6 stars, fifteen players at 5 stars...

On the finals the AKM will deal some extra prices as well, so everything's open yet. Stay tuned.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #122
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Arda Cup 2009 Finals at Minas Tirith, preview

It was time then! For suitability and availability, and not the least for the excellent feedback from last year’s semifinals it was Minas Tirith that was chosen by the AFA to host the finals this year.

After the renovations to make it suitable to the finals, the marvellous Stadia Anor located right beside the gates of the great city now boasted with 115 000 seats, with more luxury loges, more fast food dealers and beer-vendors at the stadium as well as on the Pelennor fields beside it; but there were now also more exquisite parlors in the bowels of the giant stadium for the very VIP’s with velvet couches and silken clothes, drinks with ice and live music for pre- and post-game enjoyment. And the rows of benches nearest to the field itself were dragged forwards just less than two meters from the side- and end lines of the pitch – leaving room only for a chain of low add-stands to separate the players and the first row audiences.

There were a host of visitors coming to the finals from all corners of the Middle-Earth and from the West as well – but the Minas Tirithians remembered last year’s football frenzy as well and flocked to the box-offices as soon as the ticket sales opened. As a result the price of tickets just sky-rocketed in the black-market a few days before the matches. It was going to be a party of the year. Those left without a ticket would have their parties on the Pelennor fields in front of two giant-screens sending live picture from the game from the beginning to the end.

For the Minas Tirithians there were to be many familiar players in the pitch this year. The team Armenelos was almost the same it was last year – albeit for Sauron, who had indeed played there anyway, only on team T-I-G. So the people were a bit less disturbed with his presence this year. Team Hithlum had been there the last year as well, even if only two players of the team (namely Fingon and Fingolfin) remained, but as the team was built this year on the solid structure of the Formenos team that had beaten the T-I-G on that very same arena last year, people were just thrilled: the same “killer trio” in the front; Aredhel, Maedhros and Fëanor, the same reliable and heroic Huan at the goal… It was soo great!

On the day before the matches a great press conference was held at the press lounge of the stadium and the selected representatives of the teams were gathered together with the representatives of local organiser and the AFA to answer the questions by the top football-journalists of Arda. Let’s look at some highlights of that event.

Armenelos Times: King Felagund, knowing you as “the friend of men” in the ME, do you think you were picked to represent your team here to gain support from the home crowd against Armenelos – would Fëanor just have been too fiery to give a bad impression of your relations to humans, as he surely was the one we all waited for to see here today? And how is it with your team’s spirit, you’re after all a motley crue of ex-Formenos players with some other outsiders like you yourself and only two former Hithlum team players… seeing also that Húrin indeed signed up with the Angband team this year?

Finrod Felagund: Now it’s not worthy of a king to answer mal-directed questions but my half-uncle is indeed concentrating to the game and I felt relaxed enough to take this position. What comes to the team-spirit, well there’s nothing to complain. You know, with my uncle, cousins and half-cousins it’s just great to play and spend time with them after years with no see. And Ulmo has been a rare treat, you’re not seeing him in the scoreboards but he surely gives leadership in the lockers.

Hador’s House Journal: But wasn’t that kind of a coup to oust all the men from team Hithlum and elvenise it? We sure hold you in high esteem but…

Finrod: Well, there’s no foul play there I assure you. The player-markets are as they are, and we didn’t create the Dor Lomin team… and what Húrin did… well, that was his own decision, even if I do wonder why he chose that way. You know all those dark-cloaked agents following the team everywhere? I mean that smells foul for miles away.

The Thangorodrimer: Now let me ask you Oropher, whether the cindarella story of Mirkwood is finally at an end? Do you think you can stand against the solid team of Angband having only three decent players in your team?

Oropher: One journalist doesn’t make a difference in a game. It’s the players, all eleven of them in a team. So you can just shove your question… do I need to say where? Next.

Valimar Quarterly: Well we do appreciate the way your team has brought different races and species together Oropher – and statistically it will be a tough match as the indicators are so even in all the areas of the game. But I would like to address the Angband team here. Now what makes you think you have chances as the evil will never prevail in Arda? Should you have learned that already?

Carcaroth: Well, we have what it takes to fight. You know, last time I tried it out with Huan we ended up even. Well this time we lost to them but that loss only makes us more eager to fight. “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” we say back in Angband. And that’s truly my motto.

The Hidden Rock Bulletin: Coming back to the final if I may… How about you King Tar Calion? Do you think you can raise to the occasion and challenge the elves of Hithlum?

Ar Pharazôn: Anyday. We do not fear any opponent and we will just smash them with our great team-play worthy of the Dúnedain so that all the people can see what we humans are capable of. We’re confident that these Hithlum hippies will be plain outscored tomorrow.

Finrod: Hithlum what? Now you…

Ar Pharazôn: You first-born are over-rated and you know that yourself. And look at those Valar, phwwt… dropped out early on… Words, words, words. Let’s see the deeds on the pitch shall we?

Finrod: Do I have to understand you’re trying to make fun of us? That's pathetic!

Ar Pharazôn: Take it as your wits serve you.

The Meduselder: Now please, I would have a question to the organising party. How have you prepared for any possible violence erupting after a band of angry baddie-supporters getting wild with a lost match? Can you contain Melkor if he gets frustrated to the Angband team even if it wasn’t exactly his team this year? Or how to deal with Sauron?

Carcaroth: There will be no defeat to our team if you’re hinting at that non-possibility…

Ar Pharazôn: Just hold your tongue boy!

Bergil: Excuse me, I think the question was for me. We have enough men at arms to settle down any skirmishes… and should Bauglir go astray we have Manwë, Tulkas and Oromë around, with some other Valar and Maiar at the VIP sections of the stadium and they have promised us their full co-operation if something nastier would happen.

Carcaroth: I already told you this was anything but a balanced venue! Look at that self-satisfactory smile that vermin just gave you! But we will beat all the hindrances you build in front of us… and will prevail whatever you say – or who has paid the referees...

Minas Tïrith Palantír: Now let me ask you all, who will be the deciding players in your teams and in your opponents teams? We have many of those who made the difference here in the last year’s semis, who will light up the audiences this year? The heroes, the villains? Your predictions for your game?

Oropher: My son will continue his great game and I do believe my grandson will rise to the occasion as well. Also Mr. Baggins has been ridiculed by the media a bit too much so that he might just prove you guys wrong in this game. From the Angband team, well, Húrin and Gwindor are guys to be marked carefully but Ancalagon is too old to play at this level any more – and Maeglin just deserves to be humbled after all he has done: Radagast, Treebeard and Grimbeorn are just the guys for that task. Those wolves will prove to be a problem but I believe Ulfast and Uldor will fail their team. We win 2-1.

Carcaroth: You call Ancalagon too old while you have that demented gaffer in your team? I say his fire and wings will beat down all the opponents when the time comes… and it comes tomorrow. Ancalagon will score twice, Maeglin once. We win 3-0. Sorry but you guys are pathetic. Only Scatha or Nazgul #6 may cause some trouble but I’m confident a balrog and a great werewolf are enough to stop them even if the petty humans would fail… but they are more spirited you allow. Don’t fool yourself elf…

Ar Pharazôn: Our team effort will prevail as it has done thus far. We need no single stars like our opponents need. We play together and we win. Plain and simple. If you need names let’s say Tar Atanamir will continue his great goal-tending. He is absolutely the greatest goalie in this tournament. Also our defence is the best of this tournament as are our forwards. Sauron has proven to be a great team-player as well and you should be afraid of his talent when he now plays for the team. Yeah, Tar Calmacil and Ar Gimilzôr haven’t yet risen to their level in this tournament in the midfield but they will play their part anyway and will be up to challenge Finrod here and Fingon anytime. Aredhel – Maedhros – Feänor –trio sure is a good one but our team-defence will just shut them down. Fëanor will get frustrated and will eventually get a red card for misconduct and the other elves will just weep and finally lose all confidence banging their heads against our defences. With the habit we’ve had in this tournament, we will win with two goals: 3-1. I will score and / or assist two goals with Sauron - we really have now what it takes to play together and to trust each other; Ar Adunakhôr or Tar Minastir wil score the third one.

Finrod: With due respect King Tar Calion, you’re wrong with your predicament. You must understand – and as a wise man you do indeed understand it – that your team has never been against such firepower we have in front; and not only the trio, but my uncle and cousin can score as well from the midfield – they’ve made two goals each as well. So that's empty banter. And as you said, there is the difference. Our midfield outruns and outwits yours and confronted with the best forwards in this tournament even Tar Atanamir will have to accept he’s no match for them. And whatever the numbers say, Huan is indeed the best goalie in the tournament and aided by Ulmo, Caranthir and Annael there is no way you guys score thrice. Remember we have second least goals allowed after you in this tournament but we have already faced some really tough teams unlike you. So we’ll win, 1-0. Aredhel will score that one aided by Fëanor.

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-08-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #123
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The Bronze-match at Rivendell

The Stadia Anor was practically fully packed already at the bronze-match. When you got this level of football at your hometown – or you had wandered from far away – you definitively wanted to see it all. And it was to be a tight match according to any news-media which really tried to take an imbalanced look at the competing teams (excluding The Nargothrondian, The Mirkwood Post, The Wood-Elf Chronicle, The ‘Downer and other unreliable sources looking at this particular game…).

The statistics provided by the AKM showed that Mirkwood had a slight lead with 35,3% scoring rate from shots on goal against Angband’s 34,3% - but if one looked at the overall shot/goal ratio, then Angband had a nominal edge with 15,8% rate against Mirkwood’s 15,6%. These were basically insignificant differences: both teams had scored 12 goals in six matches, although Angband had shot 35/76 (shots on goal/overall shots = 46%) and Mirkwood 33/77 (44%) giving them 2% margin in the overall accuracy of their shooting. No big difference there.

One thing that had been marked down as a possible edge to the Angband team by several reporters was Carcaroth’s saving percentage versus that of Oropher. But the AKM had played this difference down as well. Carcaroth had 72% saving record (9 goals allowed from 32 shots on target) while Oropher reached just 69% (10 allowed from 32), which actually meant that from equal number of shots Oropher had given in one goal more than Carcaroth – whether being the better goalie or then standing behind a bit tougher defence, or then being just more lucky… or having faced less brilliant forwards this far in the tournament. As one can see, there was no big statistical difference either way in here either.

But listening to the chanting and shouting both inside and outside the Stadia Anor just before the game it was clear which team was the favourite of the crowd. Angband supporters were indeed few in numbers, but the ten thousand strong fan-crowd of orcs and easterlings led by Melkor and a few Balrogs were noisy enough to create a feeling of there being two competing teams of supporters in the stadium as well even if the numbers were overwhelming.

The game itself started out evenly. But even if both teams built up some quite flashing attacks it was the defences of both teams that outshone all other players in the field in the first thirty minutes. The crowds love goals and can’t get enough of them but this time people were quite impressed with the quality of the defences – shutting passes off, shutting down runs by forwards with intelligent off-side traps, holding the supremacy in the air in front of the goal… You name it – and the defences produced it. Both dragons looked especially frustrated on the half hour mark as neither of them had barely touched the ball because of the heavy marking.

But spectacular goals were to come.

People often say that in tight matches the special-situations, like corners or free-kicks, make the difference. On 35th minute the Angband team showed the truth of that statement. The actual events that led into an Angband free-kick will surely be a matter of some dispute after the tournament as very few have seen Thranduil enraged like that for nothing. Anyway, Thranduil fell face down when fighting for the ball against Thuringwethil. The bat took the ball and went forwards building the attack when Thranduil ran on her from behind so rough that the referee had no chance but to card him and give the Angband team a free-kick. So what happened? No one knows exactly, but it wouldn’t have been the first time Thuringwethil would’ve made quite a cynical tackle – especially so that the referee would not notice it.

Ancalagon and Thuringwethil were behind the ball at 35 meters. Ancalagon took a run to the ball only to jump suddenly to the side before reaching it. But just as everyone thought Thuringwethil who was running behind Ancalagon would actually shoot it from a different angle the great dragon swung its tail and produced a mighty swerving rocket past the wall – hitting the post!

The ball rebounded to the right from the goal where Maeglin took it with great individual skill leaving Grimbeorn behind. He gave a sharp glance to the left upper corner of the goal and went for a shoot. Oropher dived to catch the ball only to realise in mid-air that it was not a shot but a chip. But it was too late then. Húrin broke free from between Radagast and Treebeard and dived for the header in the middle. And it was in! Angband took the lead.

The last ten minutes of the half Angband team clearly dropped back to defend their lead before the half-time – and were pretty impressive in it – even if football-wise there wasn’t a lot of flash or gallantry in there.

No one was surprised that Mirkwood came to the second half with stamina and aggression. They had really decided to fight back and the crowds were behind them with cheers, songs, drums, trumpets... But unlike the last ten minutes of the first half the Angband team was not backing down at all. On the contrary, it pressed forwards as furiously as Mirkwood did.

Now that was some football! Beautiful combinations, a host of individual skill on display, a few great saves and a handful of barely missed goals during the first twenty minutes of the second half… Really value for the money!

Nazgul #6 made a beautiful run from the side and shot the ball through the ground past Carcaroth who had come forwards to shut the angle… the ball was getting a bit wide of the far post when Fram ran his life for it – cheered by the crowd who jumped up to see it - finally trying to slide the ball into the empty net… and only missing the ball by inches!

At the other end Gwindor showed astonishing rise to the occasion by making a blind bicycle-kick from a nice chip given and called out by Maeglin only to hit the post.

Scatha looked like it was warming up. Anyway Scatha made Ancalagon look but a shadow as it had started fighting after the frustrating first half an hour. Meanwhile Ancalagon seemed to not find a new gear to come to it’s level. Scatha’s mighty blow of a free-kick from 22 meters (following from Thuringwethil’s really nasty tackle on Thranduil – the spectators and Mirkwood players were calling for a straight red card but the referee only gave her a yellow one) went straight towards the upper left corner of the goal but Carcaroth managed to tip it into a corner-kick with it’s claws at the last moment. Thranduil and Thuringwethil were not in any easy terms with each other. That was clear for anyone.

Tevildo won Bilbo in a one on one fight over the ball at the Angband side and sent the ball up to Thuringwethil who passed it forwards with a nice high one-timer – and Maeglin was in full speed leaving the lowest defenders Radagast and Treebeard standing as he dashed past them. The ball bounced to the ground a few meters before the box and went up again. It seemed that the onrushing Oropher would be able to catch it when it next came down. But what did Maeglin do? He didn’t wait for the ball to land but jumped for it – and volleyed it straight forwards himself being airborne… Oropher got his hands to the ball but he couldn’t hold it because of the force of the shot blasted just a meter or two away from him and it slipped… and rolled towards the goal behind him… and Maeglin still in full speed jumped over him following the ball… It was a goal indeed, and what a goal!

The stadium went totally silent. The crowds were dumbed and astonished. They had been following a match of the year where great opportunities had followed each other – and it was just one goal lead the Angband team had. But suddenly it felt like all had just gone down the drain. They couldn’t believe what they had just seen.

But the orcs and easterlings went just mad! And after the initial shock many elves and humans indeed applauded Maeglin for his absolutely stunning performance – although it died down as soon as it started when Maeglin took his shirt off and swung it in front of the Gondolin part of the stand with a gaze and smile that sent a clear enough message. (He was actually fined for that performance after the tournament by AFA-officials from unsportsmanlike behaviour.)

But there were still 25 minutes to go. Mirkwood team put forwards all they had and slowly even the crowd was re-ignited to the fight. And Mirkwood really pressed hard. They attacked from left and right, with passing high balls behind the defenders, with short passes via the ground, with a few sharp counter-attacks when given a chance. But the Angband defences held admirably. Balrog #5 and Drauglin were indispensable, but also Ulfast and Uldor fought like men keeping the waves of attacks at bay one after another. And to be honest, it was not just Mirkwood pressing on and Angband backing down. From their relentless attacking there followed a few really dangerous counter-attacks keeping the Mirkwood team at their toes all the while they pressed on. There was a goal hanging in the air once more – but it could come to either end of the pitch.

And at the 79th minute the ball was in!

Mirkwood was pressing on when Ulfast and Uldor made a marking mistake under pressure. They both thought the other one was marking Nazgul #6 and went to Legolas. Scatha realised that immediately with the ball and passed it nicely past the running men and in front of the Nazgul inside the box. Before Ulfast and Uldor had time to make good their error the ball was already at the back of the net. Even Carcaroth had no say in that goal, so swift and accurate was the execution of the Nazgul.

And the miracle was witnessed by 115 000 spectators – taking part in it themselves: the elves and men cheered for a Nazgul, in Minas Tirith! And they did that from the bottom of their hearts – even if the assistant to the goal had been none else but a dragon. The crowds were just crazy. There was still hope! 10+ minutes to go and it was only a one goal lead again. The game would start a new at this late stage!

There really was tension now. Angband team didn’t give up an inch without a fight even if Mirkwood was now playing like it was playing for life and death. The odd dark-cloaked figures had appeared from somewhere and where standing motionlessly beside the field – and none of the security-guards were able to remove them. But what an energy especially Húrin and Gwindor found for themselves (and where?) after the appearance of the dark figures? They tackled and pressed back leading all the Angband players to pull up their best – and Gwindor indeed got booked for a harsh tackle at 81st minute.

Húrin got a perfect pass from Maeglin at 87th minute and got to shoot from 18 meters – only to make it just wide. The crowds sighed with relief – even if they still held the man in high esteem.

It was the last minute of the added time when Fram got a loose ball in the middle of the box while the forwards of Mirkwood team – and the Nazgul – were carefully marked on corner-kick situation. Fram was a bit off-balance but managed to make a shot that surprised Carcaroth and slipped from it’s claws… to the post… But Legolas had gotten rid of his shadow and slid forwards… only to see Balrog #5 clearing the ball all the way back to the midfield from just under his nose…

The game was over and Angband claimed the bronze-medals! Mirkwood made it a fight but in the end Angband was just that required inch tougher, just a bit more solid and more effective. And it was no surprise to anyone that Maeglin was rewarded as the “man of the match”. Maeglin’s track-record from the last games was impressive indeed. In the last three play-off games he had scored four times and assisted one goal.

A moving scene was witnessed by the audience when they saw Húrin sitting down on the pitch his head buried deep down between his legs and Bilbo approached him. The old hobbit patted the human hero’s shoulder gently and was clearly talking some smoothing words to him. Húrin raised his head and looked at the hobbit for a moment and then gave him his hand. Húrin rose up aided by the old hobbit, even if everyone could see Bilbo could not help much to lift that sized man. He looked down on the little one approvingly and flashed him a smile taking his shirt off and offering it to Bilbo. Bilbo seemed hesitant for a moment – probably not being too pleased with the idea of showing his naked upper-body to hundred thousand spectators – but then took off his own shirt and the two exchanged their gear. The crowd applauded in standing ovation for the two.

It was only when Sauron appeared at the pitch congratulating some of the winners with other celebrities that people realised no one had seen him during the game.

Angband 2-1 Mirkwood

shots 12-12
on target 4-4
GOALS:
*35, Angband (Hurin, Maeglin)
*66, Angband (Maeglin, Thuringwethil)
*79, Mirkwood (Nazgul #6, Scatha)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Angband- Thuringwethil, Gwindor
*Mirkwood- Thranduil, Bilbo
Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #124
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye The Finals!

Stadia Anor could seat a whopping 115,000, but no one doubted that more spectators were present. Many a father sat with his son upon his knee, and some of the smaller orcs and slighter teens did their best to share a seat. And the aisles and stairs, well- let's just say that there was no chance of exiting.

The elves were draped in Hithlum banners, as were a few men who couldn't bring themselves to support Sauron, but most of the stadium was in support of the Numenoreans, as the Gondorians were more than happy to support their progenitors, and all manner of evil creatures were wholly behind Sauron.

The teams from the bronze medal match made their way onto the field and the crowd greeted them gleefully, and were even more delighted when the teams climbed into a roped off area of seats to watch and cheer with the rest of the arena! Most of the Mirkwood team seemed to be for Hithlum, but Bilbo, Scatha, and Fram bore no signs of their loyalties. Nazgul #6 however was fully behind Armenelos, and was enthusiastically waving a flag in the air, black trimmed with red and gold.

All the players from Angband save Gwindor and Maeglin joined with Nazgul #6 in support of Armenelos, and Hurin's voice could be heard above the general din crying out support for his distant relations.

Up high in the press boxes sat representatives of various agencies such as AKM and MESPN, loaded down with stats and bios and giving last minute predictions. In the week leading up to the contest, many analysts had been quick to point out Hithlum's championship pedigree, for the team featured five players from last year's title-winning Formenos team (Feanor, Maedhros, Aredhel, Caranthir, Huan), and two players from last year's runner up (Fingolfin, Fingon). Was it any surprise that Hithlum had been the heavy favorite coming into the tournament? And surely they were going to make good on their potential.

But other analysts were quick to counter that every member of Armenelos had reached the bronze medal game the previous year, so they had proven their talent as well and had virtually the same amount of experience. And though they weren't the heavy favorites entering the tournament, surely no one could deny that they had played the best of any team thus far. No one had even come within a goal of them!

The offensive numbers were incredibly similar- Armenelos led goals 15-14, shots 88-85, and shots on target 43-42. The defensive numbers were the largest difference. Armenelos had allowed seven more shots, while the on target shots was dead even at 21, but- Armenelos had allowed three fewer goals. It was this fact that most cited as their reason to predict Armenelos to win. Tar Atanamir had racked up nearly an 86% save percentage!

But Hithlum fans were quick to point out that Armenelos had managed to avoid playing high-powered Tuna or Valimar in the semis due to Mirkwood's surprise run, and that their defensive numbers would not look so shiny had they been put up against them.

However, it was time to put all speculation to rest. The match was to be decided on the field!

As warm-ups were held, both teams looked very sharp. There would be no sub-standard play here. Feanor and his old friends from Formenos looked confident they could rise to the occasion once again, while Fingolfin and Fingon looked quietly determined not to let this one slip away.

The players for Armenelos looked equally determined, except for perhaps Ar Adunakhor and Ar Pharazon, who wore expressions that were downright haughty. Sauron's face, however, was a complete mask- expressionless and emotionless. What was going on in his head? Was he planning treachery? Or was this his way of showing his nerves, and how badly he craved victory.

As play began, it was clear that both sides were right to look confident. The passing was precise, the runs were quick, and the kicks were forceful. But the fine play did not limit itself to the offenses- the tackles were perfect, the best options were always cut off, hopeful balls up for grabs were controlled, and so the attackers were unable to gain a legitimate threat despite their best efforts. Both midfields took a couple of snipes at the goal, but Huan and Tar Atanamir were not asleep and handled the balls like the pros they were.

As halftime approached, the forwards for Hithlum were clearly growing frustrated, as was Ar Pharazon for Armenelos. Sauron at one point had to grab the Golden-boy and keep him from drawing a foolish yellow card. At the other end Aredhel got a bit rough in her frustration and drew a yellow, and only some words from her father kept her from making things worse.

Halftime arrived and the scoreboard still showed 0-0. Despite the lack of goals, the crowd was quite pleased with what they were seeing- football at its highest level! And most of them knew that no matter how great the defenses, offensive skill like that on the field could not be held in check forever. And they were proved right in the opening minutes of the second half.

Armenelos had it in the offensive zone, but Caranthir got a foot on a pass and it skidded over to Ulmo who immediately launched it to the dashing forwards. Two Armenelos players were there when it came down, but Fingolfin managed to head it forward from between them and followed after it and sent it to a sprinting Aredhel who then made a great move past Tar Cirytan. Tar Telperien came up to put a halt to the run, but Aredhel managed to send it sideways to Maedhros who was in front of Tar Calmacil, and the deadly left foot of Maedhros met it solidly and sent it past Tar Atanamir, but into the crossbar! Feanor nabbed the rebound after a bounce and took it into the box himself. Ar Zimrathan tackled, but Feanor held his line! Tar Telperien rushed up from behind, but Feanor swerved behind her and then back again when she turned! Tar Calmacil went for the ball, but Feanor held up and he went sliding past! And then came the booming boot into the lower right side, and it was good!

The elvish portion of Stadia Anor exploded and fireworks lit up the sky! The first score of the championship match went to Hithlum!

Hithlum tried to press their advantage swiftly, but Armenelos recovered quickly and set to it with renewed energy and increased efficiency. Right after the 60 minute mark Armenelos saw their best chance yet off of a corner, but Tar Minastir's header was tipped away full stretch by Huan, and the fans of Hithlum breathed a sigh of relief.

Though they didn't gain another great opportunity, Armenelos continued the attack and it was clear that Hithlum was only staving them off with perfect defensive play. But then at minute 71 Fingon got too heavy-handed with Ar Pharazon and Armenelos was awarded a free kick from about straight on 15 yards beyond the box. Ar Pharazon set to take the kick, and Hithlum set up a wall in front of him. And then to the astonishment of everyone in the house, Ar Pharazon crushed the ball to the right of the wall, clearly on its way out of bounds to the side of the goal, but no- as if the ball was guided by its own will, it curved hard back to the left and snuck inside the post beyond Huan's reach!

The Gondorians screamed and let loose with their noise-makers, for their beloved Armenelos had tied the score! Hithlum demanded that the refs examine the ball, and they did, but there was nothing fishy about it. Ar Pharazon had just put the most wicked curve ever seen on the kick, fair and square.

As the 70s rolled by and the 80s began, the noise and excitement mounted, and the audience gasped and groaned with every tiny touch of the ball. At minute 85 a mighty shout went up as Feanor worked his way in and found Maedhros with a perfect cross, but Tar Atanamir came flying from the other side and knocked it away! Armenelos took possession and worked it up the field for an attack of their own, and to the dismay of the Hithlum fans, Annael was judged to have tripped Tar Minastir and Armenelos was awarded another free kick! Many of Hithlum's supporters insisted loudly that it was incidental contact and that their feet got tangled up, but the ruling would not change due to their complaints, and Armenelos prepared to take the kick.

The kick was taken from about ten yards out of the box a little to the left of the left post, and Tar Minastir lined up to do the honors. In the meantime Hithlum had their wall set again, while Sauron positioned himself to the left of the wall, Ar Pharazon on the right side, and Ar Adunakhor right at the top of the box.

But instead of booming a kick, Tar Minastir sent it directly at Ar Adunakhor who stepped out towards him, and Fingon was unable to get to the pass in time to stop it, and Ar Adunakhor immediately touched the ball forward past the right side of the wall towards the left post, where Sauron had broken upon first contact. In the meantime Ar Pharazon curled around behind the pass and dashed at the right post. Sauron beat the defense to the ball and touched it barely around the sliding Ulmo to the right side where Ar Pharazon had slipped in and the King wasted no time in sending it into the empty net in front of him for the lead!

The stadium rumbled and shook as it never had, as the Gondorians and Numenorians alike bellowed their approval of the brilliant free kick! The Hithlum fans hung their heads in sorrow. Only minutes left, and the Armenelos defense was solid. Feanor tried to energize his side, but the competition was just too stiff and the midfielders couldn't get the ball up to him, nor could they regain possession after Armenelos took it in the closing seconds. It was Armenelos with the win, and they would take home the Arda Cup!!

(Go to 2:06 to see the winning goal, with replay of it at 2:11)

Armenelos 2-1 Hithlum
shots 13-12
on target 5-5
GOALS:
*54, Hithlum (Feanor, Maedhros)
*71, Armenelos (Ar Pharazon)
*87, Armenelos (Ar Pharazon, Sauron)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Armenelos- Ar Gimilzor, Tar Minastir, Ar Zimrathan
*Hithlum- Aredhel, Fingon, Annael
Old 07-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #125
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye from the Arda Football Association...

The AFA would like to congratulate the victorious Armenelos squad as well as recognize the fine play from all the teams featured in this year's tournament. We hope to see many of these superior athletes on the pitch again next year, and we are confident that the tournament will only continue to get better thanks to support from all the football fans in Arda and beyond.

To bring this tournament to a close, we present the following awards.

AFA Awards
ARDA CUP CHAMPION- Armenelos
MOST PHANTASY POINTS- Tar Atanamir (Armenelos), Sauron (Armenelos), Feanor (Hithlum), Melkor (Valimar)
GOLDEN BOOT AWARD for MOST GOALS- Maeglin (Angband), Ar Pharazon (Armenelos), Turin (Dor-Lomin), Feanor (Hithlum), Miriel (Tuna)
MOST ASSISTS- Sauron (Armenelos)

And finally, we have selected the following for the official AFA all-tournament team.

GK – Tar Atanamir (Armenelos)

DF – Tar Telperion (Armenelos)
DF – Shadowfax (Edoras)
DF – Felarof (Edoras)
DF – Curufin (Nargothrond)

MF – Melkor (Valimar)
MF – Eldacar (Osgiliath)
MF – Eärendil (Eregion)

FW – Fëanor (Hithlum)
FW – Sauron (Armenelos)
FW – Míriel (Túna)
Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #126
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

AKM Special Awards

As the leading commercial football-forum in Arda The Arda Kicker Magazine is proud to release it’s special awards for the Arda Cup 2009 tournament. As always the AKM encourages the readers to disagree but our editors have really worked with these and the decisions are argued for.

Best Keeper: Tar Atanamir (Armenelos)
Gave away only 4 goals in 7 games (0,57 goals per game) with saving ratio of 84,6%. 30 phantasy points (shared winner) and AKM stars winner. Led the team into victory. What can one say?

Best Defender: Tar Telperion (Armenelos)
Solid leader of the victorious defence in this tournament, aided three shut-outs & least goals allowed + a goal and an assist. 29 phantasy points, shared third place in the AKM star-awards. No competition at the field for her.

Best Midfielder: Melkor (Valimar)
Excellent leader of the team, astonishing 5,8 phantasy points / game –ratio (second best in the whole tournament). 30 phantasy points, shared second place in the AKM star-awards. Impressive.

Best Forward: Míriel (Túna)
Shared the most goals scored award with 5 goals, playing only 4 games. The best overall point-ratio of 6,5 per game in the whole tournament. 26 phantasy points. Flashing performance! Just flashing!

The tournament MVP: Fëanor (Hithlum)
The soul of his team, shared total phantasy point-winner & most goals scored winner. 30 phantasy points.

The play-offs MVP: Maeglin (Angband)
Four goals and one assist in the last three games. The Architect of Angband’s bronze-medal in the play-offs.

The Finals MVP: Ar Pharazôn (Armenelos)
Two goals in the final giving Armenelos the title, 29 phantasy points total of which 8 in the final.

Outstanding Defensive Performance: team Edoras keeper & defenders (Theoden, Frealaf, Elfwine, Shadowfax, Felarof)
Not a single goal allowed in the group-phase + Theoden’s saving ratio in 4 games amazing 87% + excellent scoring from the defenders.

Outstanding Offensive Performance: team Túna forwards (Nerdanel, Finwë, Miriel)
Scored 11 goals in the group-phase, on the point-averages they are the three best forwards in the whole tournament: Miriel 6,5 pts./game, Finwë 5,25 and Nerdanel 5.

The AKM Dream Team for Arda Cup 09:

For the dream team we have decided not to pick any AKM awarded players (all the above rewarded – also those awarded as part of a particular “defence” or “offence”) so as to give room for a wider number of players to be able to be rewarded – and surely the official AFA Dream Team will have the super stars in the line-up. Sadly even in this way many great players will be left un-awarded.

As only Melkor was awarded from the midfielders by the AKM and quite a many forwards were awarded, the AKM has decided to go for 4-4-2 formation

GK – Carcaroth (Angband)

DF – Tar Ciryatan (Armenelos)
DF – Turgon (Gondolin)
DF – Alatar (Valimar)
DF – Curufin (Nargothrond)

MF – Eldacar (Osgiliath)
MF – Húrin (Angband)
MF – Nazgul #6 (Mirkwood)
MF – Eärendil (Eregion)

FW – Túrin (Dor Lomin)
FW – Sauron (Armenelos)

Some words to gronud our decisions:

GK – It was a tight match choosing between Theoden and Carcaroth. Theoden had an incredible saving percentage of 87% but in the end he was shot at only 15 times in the whole tournament – and not by the best forwards of the games – whereas Carcaroth faced 36 shots (shared the highest bombardment with Oropher) against many of the best in the whole games, and still had one of the best saving percentages (72,2%).

DF – After Tar Telperion, Tar Ciryatan was the most solid defender on the astonishing Armenelos backline (and scored second best phantasy points for a defender ie. 18 points). Had Turgon had better support downstairs he could have done marvels – sadly for him the other defences didn’t hold. In a better team he would have been on the top of defender points. Alatar is there to remimd people of Valimar’s solid defence – in point averages they outplayed even some Armenelos defenders! But the AKM will not put all the Valimar defenders here, so Alatar was chosen just because he’s a sympathetic guy – and one with his name dwells in the BD. Curufin then, well he was just flashy! 4,25 points per game is just an incredible ratio for a defender (even Tar Telperion had less, well not much but still)!

MF – There was quite a host of great players from whom to choose there in the midfield! Finally the AKM decided to stress both the point averages and a solid performance. Eldacar was the most efficient midfielder in this tournament after Melkor, Eärendil following him. Both players were the souls of their teams scoring – and with Eldacar one could say the only star in the team. With Húrin and Nazgul #6 the story is partly the same – but they were also really making the difference in the long run and especially in the last games with their performances. No other midfielder (except Melkor) came near their total phantasy points scored.

FW – With a bunch of forwards already awarded the AKM turned its gaze to smashing performances outside the AKM awarded players. And it was easy to spot two above others. Túrin sure was one of the greatest forwards in the tournament. If he and Beleg would have had as solid team behind them that team would have been plain unstoppable! And what would have team Armenelos been without Sauron, the great Annatar, the joint phantasy point winner and the winner of the scores assisted award? Surely he deserves his place in here!

Stay tuned! The AKM star-awards still to come... in our next issue!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #127
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The Other All-Star Team
by Phantom, MESPN News

When you have players like Feanor and Melkor running about the pitch, it's pretty easy to be overshadowed, or even completely ignored. Here is a list of players that other teams ought to watch carefully, even though they may not have the name recognition and status of some of their fellow players.

GOAL-KEEPER

Elrond (Eregion)- Elrond is solid every tournament, and this year was no different, though the performances of others (Tar Atanamir, Theoden) may have hidden him from view a bit. His save percentage was over 80%, and against the likes of Osgiliath and Erebor, and Dor-Lomin in particular where he saved 7 shots from their powerful attackers.

DEFENDERS

Uldor (Angband)- Yes, yes, he did manage to pick up a couple of cards along the way, but that may speak to his favor. He very obviously wanted to win, and played his hardest every second of the game. And despite the cards he managed to score double-digit Phantasy points. He's no pushover.

Ar Zimrathan (Armenelos)- When you have Tar Telperien playing beside you and Tar Atanamir behind you, it's understandable to get overlooked a bit, but don't anyone underestimate Ar Zimrathan, or "Zimmy" as his teammates call him. He often ended up being assigned to mark the opposing side's best attacker, and he did a fantastic job of it and Armenelos may not have won a title without his hard work and fine team play.

Caranthir (Hithlum)- Like Uldor, Caranthir got himself tossed from a game for his play, but we think his passion should be rewarded, especially as he ended up being the leading point-getter for the Hithlum defense, and no way could Hithlum have reached the finals without their solid defensive work. The job he did against Sauron and Ar Pharazon in the final game was particularly good. Remember- both of Armenelos's goals came off of free kicks. During normal play Caranthir and friends really locked down.

Balrog #3 (Valimar)- This poor lad is so overlooked he doesn't even have a name! But that doesn't change that he was the front-man for a very solid defense, and tied Alatar for being the leading point scorer. Very solid stuff here.

MIDFIELDERS

Tilion (Valimar)- The moon-man scored over 20 points for Valimar, supporting Melkor and the midfield in fine fashion. In my opinion he should be moved up into a more offensive position for next year. He's got the skill.

Finarfin (Tuna)- Don't forget about the fourth wheel on the Tuna Scoring Express, Finarfin. The forwards weren't the only ones who racked up points, as "Finny" managed 17 points in his four games, and was quite often responsible for getting the ball up to the forwards to do their work.

Eol (Doriath)- He scored the tying goal against Lothlorien, assisted on their only goal against Dor-Lomin, and scored their only goal against Armenelos. He pretty much carried the offense. Elwe had better find him some help, or he'll leave for greener pastures.

Arwen (Lothlorien)- Now, this is really a case of someone carrying their team. Arwen scored 13 points. The rest of her team combined scored 11. Here's another one that deserved better than what she got.

FORWARDS

Araphor (Arnor)- For the second year in a row he was a hero, and nearly brought his team into the playoffs. He had the winner against Helm's Deep, the only goal against the strong defense of Nargothrond, and had a hand in both scores against semi-finalist Mirkwood. Defenses would do well not to pass over Araphor when making their game plans.

Eonwe (Valimar)- The herald announced his skill loud and clear in this tournament with 20+ points for Valimar. While some (like Tulkas) seemed to allow their play to be impacted negatively by the presence of Melkor, Eonwe sucked it up and extended a friendly hand and showed his willingness to work with anyone for the good of the team and its fans. Great job.

GK - Elrond (Eregion)

DF - Uldor (Angband)
DF - Ar Zimrathan (Armenelos)
DF - Caranthir (Hithlum)
DF - Balrog #3 (Valimar)

MF - Tilion (Valimar)
MF - Finarfin (Tuna)
MF - Eol (Doriath)
MF - Arwen (Lothlorien)

FW - Araphor (Arnor)
FW - Eonwe (Valimar)

Last edited by the phantom; 07-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #128
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
It's 'over' but I'm not 'under'

Wow, such a hot streak of predictions comes to a swift, and brutally wrong end in the final two games. I'm at a loss for words on what happened...whoulda thunk? Although, I can't be too disappointed as both matches were a joy to read through and witness. I don't think anyone would tell you the 4 best teams were not represented on the field. None of them were there by some fluke, or divine grace, they each played an amazing tournament from beginning to end. The teams were so even, matches so well played, it could have gone either way. The best thing about the Arda Cup, is the teams played all the games out on the field, and we have a proven, single champion. There aint any Eru-Vista plugging numbers into a formula to crown a champion. Armenolos won for being the most complete team all tournament.

So, this will be my last entry until the next time, and how I would like to end, is to give you some of the under-rated and over-rated players from the tournament.

Let me start with the under-rated, because typically I find more suspense, interest (and disagreement), in the over-rated group.

There are many different arguments as to what does 'under-rated' actually mean, and who is under-rated? What I mean by it is a combination of the player's performance (as well as how they were expected to perform - '*' rating), how that impacted his/her teams performance, how many phantasy owners had the player on their team, and of course how much recognition (awards/all-tournament teams) did the player receive.

Without further ado, the 5 most under-rated players of the 2009 Arda Cup:

5. mormwolf (TIG) - early on he was picked by some phantasy owners to be their keeper. TIG drastically underperformed in this tournament, they did not fulfill their expectations, but it was not due to goal keeping. Earlier in the year I called morm 'swiss cheese,' but didn't take into account the fact that TIG was where all the teams strengths were offense. He had to face some of the deadliest FWs and on top of that TIGs defense was no help to mormwolf. The only reason the games were close were because of him, and if it wasn't for his many spectacular saves TIG may not have even made it out of group play.

4. Nazgul #6 (Mirkwood) - No *'s and received the 2nd most points out of all the MFs. Also of all the 'Zero *' he received the most points. On a team that has Scatha, Thranduil, and Legolas, it's easy to look past a random Nazgul. He is so under-rated no one can tell us his name...really! I'm not joking! Few phantasy owners had him (and some only added him in the last couple matches), and no one had him from start to finish and he was the star performer of the Mirkwood team. He is #4 because of course, for his performance he is getting on some all-star tournament teams and deserves it.

3. Boromir I (Minas Tirith) - In group play he was one of the best, picking up an assist in each of his 3 matches and a key goal in the final game against Moria to advance Minas Tirith to the playoffs. When Aragorn is on your team (who is himself a fine player, and one of the best motivators) it's easy to get overlooked, and that's what happened to Boromir I. No one had him on their phantasy team and of course he has not received any special honors, nor has any *s. But I doubt he'd complain too much, being happy with Minas Tirith's performance, and wanting to prove they are better than how they played against the mighty Valar. If a mish-mash of races from Mirkwood can beat 'em you can bet Aragorn will have his guys ready come next Arda Cup. This will be a surprise team to watch.

2. Ar Pharazon (Armenolos) - He was one of the best FWs when it mattered the most, and he was definitely the best when Armenolos needed it the most in the championship game. He was expected to lead his team, but no one predicted Armenolos (or Ar Pharazon) to accomplish so much. 29 phantasy points and only 2 phantasy owners owned Ar Pharazon. He received a Finals MVP award but was snubbed from the all-star tournament teams.

1. The Witch-King (Minas Morgul) - It was close between Ar Pharazon and the Wiki, Ar Pharazon had 11 more phantasy points, and only one *. However, Ar Pharazon also had a solid defense, great goal tending, and the assist-master Sauron on his team. Armenolos may not have won without Ar Pharazon as a piece, but they still would have been a solid team and competed for the title.

Minas Morgul would be no where without it's captain, The Witch-King. When no one predicted Minas Morgul to come out of group play, they did, and only one person predicted they would beat Edoras in the 1st round. Minas Morgul made it to the Final 8 teams, they have no representatives in any of the tournament teams. Edoras has more representatives and The Wiki beat 'em! To cap it off, not one of the phantasy owners, ever had The Witch-King on their team. Minas Morgul played way above expectations in group play (even tying Hithlum! - in that game the Wiki had an assist and the game-tying goal!) and got farther than anyone imagined The ignorant back that's been turned on not only The Wiki, but the Minas Morgul team, by everyone in the soccer community is a travesty. The Witch-King's only arguably bad game was in the playoffs against Armenolos, look what Armenolos accompished? And pinning the Wiki against his master, that was just cruel. That is why The Wiki is taking home the top under-rated player honors.

Congradulations to all of you, and now you know this means you are no longer officially under-rated. Once you are recognized for being underrated it ends immediately as everyone then notices...'Wow you have been underrated' and we will be expecting more from you in the future.

By Jim "Scoop" Johnstone
The Boro-Blog

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-13-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #129
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The AKM blogger response

A journalist from the AKM, Ugr Nogrendale, made these following comments in his blog after reading the latest Boro-blog and the MESPN News by phantom.

I do strongly agree with Boro-blogger with mormwolf and the Witch-King being undervalued and under-awarded. They were men - well a Nazgûl and a Werewolf - but anyway ones whom their teams stood or fell with.

And Boromir I was also a decent player if not so good Boro-blogger tells us. Maybe it's just the name-sake issue?

But talking about players really not appreciated...

Now how come no-one brought forwards the performance of Elros of Romenna? MESPN News went to hail Elrond of Eregion with his 81% saving percentage - but Elros had the same percent from 26 shots against his goal where Elrond only had to catch 21 shots. Brothers or not, but to my eyes Elros is the number one of them.

From the defenders I'd like to bring forth the whole Valimar defence. The official AKM Dream Team only awarded Alatar with questionable arguments when they should have payed heed also to the performances of Pallando and Balrog #3. Happily the MESPN News gave the honour to the latter. But looking at their 2,8 point average for a game one thinks they were really forgotten just because their team didn't advance...

Also it should be said that beside Felarof and Shadowfax also Frealaf and Elfwine did a remarkable job with this wonder of no goals given in the group phase - and only letting two goals in the whole tournament. They just didn't score or assist but they made their job of keeping their goal untouched.

Also Celebrimbor and Gandalf should be remembered. They held the Eregion defences together with the help of Elrond. But without them Elrond's savings percentage would have been much lower - and here I'm referring to my earlier judgement between Elrond and Elros: Elrond only had to catch 21 shots while Elros needed to catch 26. So which defence was the better one helping the goalie the more?

With the midfielders I'd agree with at least Tilion and Arwen (with phantom of MESPN News). They were just value of their weight in gold for their teams.

But whereas Boro-blog brings forwards Boromir I from Minas Tirith, why doesn't he think of Mardil from the same team making as many points Boromir did - but as a midfielder who has to think of defence at the same time?

Or why is Glaurung left without a mention? Or phantomwolf? Both made a difference in their respective teams - and it would be a plain truism to say that either the team Nargothrond or the team TIG would have been gotten as far as they did without them.

For the forwards it's just unbearable that Gothmog of Gondolin hasn't been mentioned! He had the amazing ratio of scoring (4,66 pts. per game) in the whole tournament but where is the praise for him? Now why leave him behind if not because of racial prejudices?

And even if I do agree with Boro-blogger about the Witch King being one who should be awarded I'd also cherish Beleg of Dor Lomin without whom the mighty and indispensable Túrin would be just a shadow of what he is!

And as a last bet I'd say Azôg of Moria has been probably the least remarked player in the whole tournament. In his three games he made a goal in two and assisted one in the third. A nice buy for a team lacking of efficiency the next year?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #130
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I would like to end with the 5 most over-rated players and my 5 sleeper choices of players. But first let me respond to Master Nogrendale who has done a thorough job on highlighting some more players who carried their team to strong performances.

I found it nearly impossible to try and mention every single person I wanted to for the under-rated group, and so felt I needed to narrow it down, which means several worthy people needed to be left out. Ultimately, I placed more weight on the expectations of the team and players than on points and that leads to a different list of under-rateds.

For example, Elros was one of players on my expanded list. However, the reasons he was left off the top-5 is even though Romenna made it to the first round of playoffs (like Minas Tirith) there was the higher expectation that Romenna would make it that far. I recall one, may two, phantasy owners choosing Minas Tirith to make it out of group play. Thus, I felt since Minas Tirith performed beyond expectations (more than Romenna) that stood in Boromir I's favor. With Gothmog, despite his performance, and being chosen by only a few owners, everyone predicted Gondolin would advance, and they didn't. Now, that does not mean Elros and Gothmog will not make it into my 'sleeper' group, as I define sleepers similar to under-rated, but for the underrated, I place more weight on expectations. And if a team/player is not getting recognition, plus is performing well above expectations, that is my concept of under-rated.

The point on Mardil was well taken, but Mardil was picked up by a few phantasy owners, where Boromir I was not. Plus in the crucial game against Moria, that is when Boromir I stepped up with an assist and a goal to put Minas Tirith through. Now, obviously because of Dor-Lomin's performance, and going beyond everyone's expectations Beleg is also a worthy candidate. Ultimately, there didn't seem to be a place to fit him though, Mirkwood was the biggest surprise team of the year, and Nazgul #6's performance in the Bronze match was top notch, he gave Mirkwood a fighting chance and played hard all match. Even if he received proper honors after the tournament, I thought he should still be included, simply because he finished 2nd among the MFs (only 4 points behind the leaders!), 1st among players rated with no-stars, and Mirkwood made big upsets off his boot.

Alright, now onto the over-rated, and this list I'm sure will cause an even bigger stir than the under-rated. My rationale for this list, is not just on the 'star' players who underperform when their team needs them, but also taking a look at the phantasy aspect and the number of owners who chose a certain player, but that player just did not come through.

Ultimately it's mostly a bunch of 2-stars who underperformed and their teams suffered

5. Ancalagon (Angband) - Ancalagon snuck on, because for the supposed star on the Angband team he did not have a good tournament. Some phantasy owners had him at the start, and Eomer stuck with him the entire way, but he was kept in check by most teams. Even though Angband won their Bronze match against Mirkwood, it was clear Scatha was the better dragon, as Ancalagon was pretty much a non-factor. Since Angband did take 3rd, Ancalagon was bailed out by the performance of his team mates. This dragon may see a change of scenery and Angband will need to move Ancalagon if they want to improve next year.

4. Saruman (Isengard) - Isengard might not have been expected to do much in the tournament, but their showing the entire tournament was pathetic. Saruman's power has decreased, and decreased far. He's lost his team, lost the sweet, yet terrible power of his voice and Isengard is a mess. Like I said, no one expected anything from Isengard, but they were the laughing stock in this years Cup, they were a joke. At least teams like Helms Deep and Amon Sul, who know they just didn't have the talent to compete, played hard and proud. Isengard showed nothing, Saruman showed nothing, they are a team in shambles.

3. Miriel (Tuna) - Here we go, how does someone with 26 pts and one of the best FWs make the over-rated list? I give credit to the phantasy owners in the beginning of the tournament for picking up this star-quality player. No one will tell you she is not one of the best, but that still doesn't mean she became fastly over-rated. As every phantasy owner, except Skip and Boro added Miriel to their roster.

What happened next? Tuna is knocked out 1st round against Mirkwood, and Miriel ends up with one measly goal. Miriel is like the A-Rod of soccer, she is expected to perform every week, and the day she overlooked Mirkwood, caused many many of the phantasy owners a super headache on what to do. Miriel might have scored 26 points, but look just looked for yourself, does she deserve all these accolades when her team underperformed, and she got a sore leg? Also, look who finished 1st and 2nd in the phantasy-league, yep it was the 2 owners who chose not to jump on the Miriel band-wagon (but as stated earlier, those two owners who had her from the beginning made a good selection and Miriel worked out). However she rose fast and high, but fell mighty hard. If she hadn't of scored so well, she'd probably be #1.

2. Durin's Bane (Moria) - was picked by some owners in the beginning but Moria had a lot of internal chaos, and Durin's Bane was one of the causes. Of course when you throw a Balrog in with a bunch of Dwarves and some other creatures and you're going to get problems. But Durin's Bane is a complete ball-hog, and everything has to be about him. When he's on his game Moria is tough to beat, but when he's not he can't trust teammates and his team suffers. Durin's Bane constant need for the ball led to many turnovers, and of course the internal fighting, led to Moria's early exit. 2-star player? Not someone who causes that much strife and doesn't perform.

1. Tom Bombadil (Bree) - several owners picked him at the start, and even held on to him for a while. Many phantasy-players chose Bree to advance and even that Tom Bombadil would lead in goals/points. This obviously did not happen. As Bree pretty much played as bad as Tom Bombadil's wardrobe selection. For a team with this talent, you wonder how they got embarassed, and then you realize...the pundits probably overrated them.

Sleeper players. For these picks I chose players who had not the best, but solid performances, and who are on teams which have potential to make it to the playoffs and beyond. Here are some of the players I think will make an impact next year, and the phantasy owners should keep an eye on to add them to their teams before the Miriel-effect happens.

It's a difficult list to judge, because if you pick a player who scored too many points, then owners will be looking to add them on their team early, but obviously you need to see some sort of potential talent to be a 'sleeper.'

5, Ungoliant (Valimar) - like Elros who has gone rather unnoticed, Ungoliant had an impressive showing this tournament. A solid goal-tender, behind a solid-defense can pick up a lot of points out there.

4. Gothmog (Gondolin) - I seriously put him on this list before Master Nogrendale's article, but we both agree he was a solid player for Gondolin, had they gotten past group play he would have been n the under-rated list. Gondolin will bounce back next year, their group drawing with Hithlum, and the surprise Minas Morgul was a tough one to be in.

3. Castamir (Minas Morgul) - picked up a modest 16 points (with 3 goals) and I like what Minas Morgul has shown, by playing against some of the best and showing they can win.

2. Eorl (Edoras) - Like Castamir, 3 goals and a modest 15 points. Edoras also showed put a bit of talent with excellent team play and good things can happen. Edoras may not have been in an offensively dominant group, but Eorl was the star FW of the group, and he is the catalyst of their attack, behind the young siblings.

1. Isildur (Arnor) - I believe he merely had 1 goal and 2 assists, and Araphor was the main threat for Arnor, but Arnor's going to be one of those scary teams no one will want to face. They are a team similar to Edoras and Dor-Lomin, they have some makings of a good team, play well together, and depending upon the draw Arnor could be the Dor-Lomin of this year. I chose Isildur over Araphor, because I think with Araphor's recognition, more owners will pick him up, and Isildur may be a steal.

At this point it is too early to entertain you with the sleeper teams. Lets see what free agency and trades bring, as well as the drawings for the groups and only then can we see potential sleeper teams

By Jim "Scoop" Johnstone
The Boro-blog

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-14-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote