The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Equinii and Solsticsesss, m'preciousss

Actually, Websters makes the plural Solstices, and numerous other sites refer to Equinoxes. (How pedestrian.) I was pondering Special Dates in Lord of the Rings while I was trying to schedule some things so that I would remember them. Associating them with Tolkien-dates seemed like a good idea. Three dates came immediately to mind: Frodo's birthday, Fellowship Departure day, and Ring Destruction Day. I noticed a few seasonal connections.

Fellowship Departure Day (from Rivendell) is Dec 25, with obvious connections to Christmas. Ring Destruction Day according to Shipley is related to the old date for Easter. So those two days could arguably hve a purely religious significance to Tolkien. However, Frodo's birthday (and Bilbo's) on Sept 22 is on or near the Autumn Equinox. Ring Destruction Day is rather near to the Spring Equinox. And Christmas is a mere four days after the Winter Solstice, mostly due to midieval Calendar-shifts if memory serves; a four-day calendar shift would explain both rather neatly.

So from the Shire to Rivendell is Frodo's Autumn; from Rivendell to Mount Doom is his Winter, followed by his Spring... what begins his summer?

Quote:
And Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer...
Frodo returns to Rivendell to celebrate his birthday with Bilbo (on or near the autumnal equinox) he enters Autumn again. So his trip back to the Shire takes place in Autumn, winter's chill descending.

What other equinox/solstice events come to mind? Was this a pervasive pattern for Tolkien (gardener that he was) or was it just this quest? And what seasonal things have I left out?

Estelyn started something seasonal in this thread wherein lie some interesting points; since then Shippey seems to have clarified (or authorized?) the Easter connection but not neccessarily the vernal equinox.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Fellowship Departure Day (from Rivendell) is Dec 25, with obvious connections to Christmas. Ring Destruction Day according to Shipley is related to the old date for Easter.
Tolkien himself does write in Lobdell: A Tolkien Compass:

Quote:
'The fellowship ... left on December 25th, which then had no sgniificance, since the Yule, or its equivalent, was then the last day of the year & the first of the next year. But December 25th (setting out) & March 25th (accomplishment of the quest) were intentionally chosen by me'

'A guide to the names in LotR'
Quote:
However, Frodo's birthday (and Bilbo's) on Sept 22 is on or near the Autumn Equinox.
I always thought this date was a kind of in-joke, due to the fact that the Hobbit was published on that day in 1937.

Last edited by davem; 08-19-2004 at 09:15 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
English Quarter days

the 25th of December and March are also "Quarter Days" as are Midsummer Day on June 24th and Michaelmas (29th September). These were the days traditionally when rent and taxes were due and servant hired. The 25th of March was also the start of the new year for about 600 years (12-18th centuries). It is also the feast of the Annunciation or Lady Day which may have been a factor for the Catholic Tolkien. It could be a kind of reverse gestation period .... instead of nine months awaiting the birth of the Messiah, a three month journey to destroy the power of evil....
I can't check this just now but they must have been in Lorien for Candlemas .......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since it was asked for events that happened at day of Equinoxes or Solstices, I will let the dates aside. I just like to say that you must take the defernce in the calenders of the shire and the one used today into account.

Events that come to mind: The Dwarves of Thorin left Rivendell at the day after Midsummer (June Solstices).

Gondolin was attacked at the night of Midsummer.

The resurected Doriath under Dior was attacked by the Feanorians at Midwinter.

The Dagor Bergolach was started at Midwinter.

The Nirneath Arnoediad was lunched on Midsummermorning.

So fare what I remeber.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ah, many thanks, Findegil. Precisely the sort of thing I was interested in.

Your point about the difference in the two calendars is of course relevant, and thank you for pointing it out. To me there is a balance of some sort between the Terran calendar and the Middle-Earth, Shire calendars and Elven(?) calendars; Tolkien seemed to emphasize different things at different times in either of the calendars.

In addition, to be fair-- since I allowed for four slippery days regarding Easter and Christmas-- let's extend the discussion to those dates of interest that are close enough to the equinox or solstice that they beg inclusion in the discussion. (A month off won't do, in my mind.)

Regarding Rivendell and Bilbo-- I remember Bilbo going out to the riverside to watch the elves sing and dance on Midsummer's eve as especially Faerie.

Back to your points, Findegil; three major battles begun on or near midsummers... somehow, beginning a battle in the soft beauty and peace of Midsummer seems to me especially sad and horrifying. I have to give the (dratted) Feanoreans credit for waiting til MidWinter; although refugees had it harder in MidWinter.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #6
Findegil
King's Writer

Well, I think that it natural for the Elves to start a Battle in Midsummer when the sun is up as long as possible, and it is naturale for Morgoth to lunch his attack as Midwinter when he Orks could use the long darkness to there advantage.
The attack on Gondolin would be an expection being lunch as a great surpriese and force in summer since the attackers had to cross the Criseagrim.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 08-22-2004, 02:18 AM   #7
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
So from the Shire to Rivendell is Frodo's Autumn; from Rivendell to Mount Doom is his Winter, followed by his Spring... what begins his summer?
Frodo was probably basking under the light of their victory over Sauron in his summer.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fascinating ideas here Mark!

According to the Anglo-Saxon Church calendar, 25th March (Ring Destruction Day) was the date of the Crucifixion, the Annunciation, and the last day of Creation. I've always liked that Tolkien chose a date that is all about beginnings, endings, and catastrophic changes.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As to the significance of March 25th:

In his essay 'The Chronology of Middle earth', Tony Steele writes(after a long, highly complex analysis of Tolkien's calendars:
Quote:
The total number of days for the years of the Sun during the First Age was 217,961. In brief, the calendar rules for the Reckoning of Rivendell are as follows - leap years occurred every twelfth year, & were always treble-leap-years (368 days). 144 years made a yen, & in the last year of every third yen the three extra days were omitted. We can therefore state with confidence that the first uprising of the Sun occurred on the following date:

25th March 10,160 BC
Make of that what you will!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #10
Findegil
King's Writer

That essay seems to be an interesting read. Could you please give us bit more details were we can find it, davem?

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 08-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Its in Mallorn 42 (Journal of the Tolkien Society. Available through the TS). His approach is to relate Middle earth to the history of this world. He states that the Second Agebegan in 9563BC, the Third Age in 6122 BC & the Fourth Age in 3102 BC.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Perky Ent gets credit for this one! He quoted Gandalf's letter, in the 'chapter by chapter' thread on Strider. Gandalf wrote to Frodo on Midsummer's day! I find this quite exciting. Gandalf, in essence, tries to start Frodo's quest a quarter-year earlier (writing the letter on Midsummer's Day, although Frodo wouldn't get it for at least five days, I think.) Check this out:

Quote:
THE PRANCING PONY, BREE. Midyear's Day, Shire Year, 1418.

Dear Frodo,

*** Bad news has reached me here. I must go off at once. You had better leave Bag End soon, and get out of the Shire before the end of July at latest. I will return as soon as I can; and I will follow you, if I find that you are gone. Leave a message for me here, if you pass through Bree. You can trust the landlord (Butterbur). You may meet a friend of mine on the Road: a man, lean, dark, tall, by some called Strider. He knows our business and will help you. Make for Rivendell. There I hope we may meet again. If I do not come, Elrond will advise you.

Yours in haste
** Gandalf.

PS. Do Not use It again, not for any reason whatever! Do not travel by night!

PPS. Make sure that it is the real Strider. There are many strange men on the roads. His true name is Aragorn.

All That is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost.
from the ashes a fire shall be woken,
a light from the shadows shall spring;
renewed shall be blade that was broken,
the crownless again shall be king.

PPPS. I hope Butterbur sends this promptly. A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried. If he forgets, I shall roast him.

Fare Well!
Intriguing point: it is exactly one year from the writing of this letter that Strider marries Arwen, and his entire quest is fulfilled.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #13
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Don't know how relevant it is, but I always like the fact that Aragorn meets Gandalf in Fangorn on his birthday (1st March)!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Don't know how relevant it is, but I always like the fact that Aragorn meets Gandalf in Fangorn on his birthday (1st March)!
I also find it intriguing that Aragorn died on his birthday (March 1)...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 AM   #15
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Regarding March 1st, I found this:

Quote:
Saint David's Day
Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the year. The names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year) If the days of the year were counted from March 1, till the next March 1, each date of the year would have the same number every year, unlike counting from January 1.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 AM   #16
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The concurrence of events on Aragorn’s birthday is wonderful! I think that there is tremendous significance in the fact that he met Gandalf again on his birthday, for that is the day he put aside his obligations to the Fellowship (Merry and Pippin) and began, finally, focusing on his struggle to save his kingdom and reclaim his throne. That he dies on his birthday re-enforces this I think – he came ‘full circle’ in his life as the King: from his “birth” as King with Gandalf in Fangorn (and I wonder if there is any significance in that location?) to his death with Arwen in Minas Tirith.

Out of interest I looked up March 1 in a Saints Day Calendar, and while there are several saints listed there, the following two (both of whom were widely known and regarded in the Middle Ages) jumped out at me:

St. David who “was endowed with substantial qualities of spiritual leadership. What is more, many monasteries flourished as a result of his leadership and good example.” David is also, of course, the patron saint of Wales, and thus the spiritual embodiment of a nation.

Rudesind “distinguished himself with his military skills by leading armies in the field against invading Norsemen and Moors.” He was also the son of a noble family.

EDIT -- cross posted with davem, who apparently had the same idea that I did. Smart fellow.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 AM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
According to the Anglo-Saxon Church calendar, 25th March (Ring Destruction Day) was the date of the Crucifixion, the Annunciation, and the last day of Creation. I've always liked that Tolkien chose a date that is all about beginnings, endings, and catastrophic changes.
The more I think about that the more intriguing it gets. In Christian terms, the crucifixion was the end of the old world order and the birth of the new creation; it is the most cataclysmic change of all history, eclipsing even the fall of man.

One of my favorite quotes from 'The Passion' was "See, Mother, I make all things new" (Rev21.5) . I was half tempted to stand and cheer on that one.

And what a depiction of the end of the old order Jackson gave us as Barad-Dur and the Morannon crumbled.

Thanks, Fordim.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:34 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Today is.....

September 22: The first day of Autumn, or the Autumnal Equinox.

It is also Bilbo's Birthday.

And Frodo's.

And tomorrow is the day Frodo left Bag End headed for Crickhollow, and beyond.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ring Ring Destruction Day

How are we celebrating Ring Destruction Day this year?

I came to work dressed more or less as Frodo... however I'm seen so often in greens and browns, I expect no-one will notice.

Tomorrow I think I'll take the Snowhobbits mountain-biking.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Here's a question I've been pondering for a few days, and this seems an appropriate thread to put it on.

Are there any instances of either solar or lunar eclipses in Tolkien's work? He accounts for the phases of the Moon by saying that sometimes Tilion comes too close to Arien and that this causes the Moon (borne by Tilion) to darken. Or would this signify a lunar eclipse?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sounds more eclipse-ish to me. Experts...?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would say eclipse since the phases are a regular and easily observable 28 day cycle. Eclipses are much rarer and irregular (from the perspective of an observer in any given location) and consequently more frightening and in need of a "comforting" explanation. I am no expert but I was interested enough to do a short course at the CET a couple of years ago and it was fascinating tho learn some of the different myths created by various cultures around the stars.

I think that Tolkien did try hard to be consistent with his phases of the moon when the fellowship were separated - Barbara Strachey monitors this in "The journeys of Frodo".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote