The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #441
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am only too happy to second what Nogrod has said about Heren's encouragement of newcomers. It is something for which I am forever in HI's debt - as well as his education programme regarding Georgia - this time last year I was able to explain to my family the reasons for Georgia playing rugby to such a high level, now alas I watch the news and fret about the safety of Heren and family. So I send a deathday wish for better times in his Shire.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #442
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ooh, happy deathday, Heren... Eight years is quite an achievement (not that it would be so horrible here that one wouldn't have fun...). I, too, must second what is said about Mr H-I and newcomers, and add a little point which is that I found it very nice and welcoming as a newcomer that such a respected and wise member as H-I thanked me for the reputation points I gave him.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #443
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed a happy deathday, Mr. HI. Now eight years - that indeed feels almost unimaginable; it made me think how relative the numbers sometimes are - because while I can well imagine let's say eight apples, but have a problem with imagining a million apples; then if I try to imagine eight years at the Downs, I have a problem rightaway... but there's somebody who actually managed it
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #444
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Aye, a happy D-day to you, HI. Glad you were able to check in!

Yes, it does seem like only yesterday we were two young wights about the mounds. Look at us now, husbands and fathers both. Wouldn't it be nice if we were still talking Tolkien eight years hence, and maybe both our sons Junior Wights into the bargain.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #445
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It just occurred to me that my 6th Deathday was a couple weeks ago (Sep 28th, I believe). 6 years is a life-age on the internet, even if I only really check in to play Werewolf these days. I recall days gone by when I haunted the books and the movies and the RPGs and the mirthy endeavors not involving the phrase Tol-in-Gaurhoth. Way back when my screenname actually matched my age.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #446
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Happy Deathday, Di!!

I believe my sixth was a few days ago...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #447
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wow, six years, again, what a feat! In that case, belated happy Deathday, Dury! And to you too, Di!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #448
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Happy Deathday to Durelin and Diamond18! I Hope you stay around for another six years, have a good one!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #449
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Silmaril

Today, I was thinking about what one single decision may change: what impact it had on my life, that one moment when I actually filled in my user name and all the required fields and hit the registration button. With that, perhaps simple step, the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here. I am really happy that there was, two years ago, a 15th November in my life...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #450
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Today, I was thinking about what one single decision may change: what impact it had on my life, that one moment when I actually filled in my user name and all the required fields and hit the registration button. With that, perhaps simple step, the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here. I am really happy that there was, two years ago, a 15th November in my life...
*The Dark Elf stares blankly at the post*

Ummm...who are you again?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #451
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here.
He is talking about me

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #452
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Have A Good One!

Well happy Deathday Legate! I'm certainly glad that you made the decision to join the Downs, you're a Tolkien genius and have opened my eyes to the deeper meaning of Tolkien's work! I hope that you stay around for many more years to come, and that you continue to be an inspiration in the discussions here. Cheers!

I just noticed, mine was over a week ago. One year and counting.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #453
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I just realised that mine was 3 days ago.

Wow! I've been on the 'Downs for over a year.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #454
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Belated congrats, Eönwë.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #455
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yup, seconded. And, Eönwë... only a year? Man, you made an impact, or at least I get the feeling as if you have been around for much longer...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #456
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Yup, seconded. And, Eönwë... only a year? Man, you made an impact, or at least I get the feeling as if you have been around for much longer...

Is that supposed to be a compliment or an insult?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #457
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry I missed this, belated congrats to you Eonwe.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #458
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Just a quick note to mark my 8 year anniversary here (and the first time I've had the presence of mind to notice). The forum has undergone a few changes since my first visit, but the Downs remains the best Tolkien site and forum to be found. Thanks to my intriguing and erudite fellow Downers for giving new meaning to the phrase 'never a dull moment', all the mods and admins for their tireless efforts, and most of all to the Wight, who somehow keeps this big ship flying.
With any luck, 10 years will be just around the corner.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #459
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yay!

The Mistress of Penguins has been dead for four years today.

May her Lordship forever stay dead on the BD!

EDIT: To make it clear - Happy Deathday, Lommy!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks, Might. It always delights (and surprises) me when someone remembers my deathday without me first gloating about it.

Four years... it's a long time, for sure. Especially if you think that I was not even fifteen when I joined (and you can very well see that in my first posts ). I do hope I will stay here forever. This place and all the people have just become incredibly important to me, in so many ways and levels...

PS. Belated congrats, Inziladun. You make me feel like a newbie...
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #461
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

With joining the praise of Lommy's deathday, I would also like to wish belated happy deathday to Valier, which was a few days ago, unfortunately I haven't been around to wish her on that very day. And of course, a belated happy deathday to Inziladun (and I agree with Lommy on that newbie thing, now what am I supposed to say...)
Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #462
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
(and I agree with Lommy on that newbie thing, now what am I supposed to say...)
You're just a baby...

But anyway, agreed about Valier. Belated deathday congrats to the ultimate 'downsian feline, may she stay here for a long time from now!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #463
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Belated happy deathday to Inziladun! Cheers to 8 years!

And happy deathday to Lommy!!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #464
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Happy Deathday, Lommy!

And Inziladun, 8 years is amazing!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #465
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
PS. Belated congrats, Inziladun. You make me feel like a newbie...
You, Legate, Durelin, and Eönwë have been far more active here than I have in a shorter span of time, hardly newbies.

Many thanks to all.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #466
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #467
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Why the ?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #468
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

It was only yesterday, Might.

Happy belated Deathday!

edit: x-ed
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #469
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
It was only yesterday, Might.

Happy belated Deathday!

edit: x-ed
Ah. Seconded.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #470
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Belated congrats, Miggie. Hope you stay here a bit more regularly now.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #471
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Why, of course I will! I have already taken the Quiz Room by force and slowly I will spread around in the other forums like a virus.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #472
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Why, of course I will! I have already taken the Quiz Room by force and slowly I will spread around in the other forums like a virus.
We certainly all hope for that And belated happy deathday, Miggy... hmph, I always watch out for Downers' deathdays, but about the day just before them I always forget about it...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #473
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Btw, why am I still Miggy/ Miggie?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #474
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
You simply still are Miggy (Miggie), we did not manage to forget you...
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #475
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
What would you like to be, then? "Miggey", like I once suggested on some quiz thread?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #476
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
What would you like to be, then? "Miggey", like I once suggested on some quiz thread?
No, I think that was me who said that. And you said that Miggey sounds weird and that it should be either Miggy or Miggie, I think.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #477
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Today is, in many parts of the world, the Feast of the Epiphany, which is the feast of Jesus being revealed to us as God among us. Although this may mean nothing to most of you, I find it wicked cool that January 6th is ALSO my Deathday. Not that I intend to make any Christ-like comparisons for myself about that being the day I revealed myself among you... I'll make it more flattering and say it's the day the awesomeness of the Downs was revealed to me. In any case, four years of being a Downer have somewhere disappeared, and I consider myself lucky to have looked it up in time to celebrate it (I knew it was early January, but forgot the date). The good times I've had on this site, and off of it with friendships forged because of it, grow more numerous every year.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #478
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Now that is nice Belated happy deathday, then. And hope you are going to have a long stay with us yet...

And just following the train of thoughts you started, it occured to me that in that case the "coolest" Deathday would be probably the Good Friday. But, (perhaps fortunately) its calendar date changes every year, so one cannot have it.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #479
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
The whole day today, the thought that there's something I should be remembering kept gnawing at me... and turns out it should have happened yesterday. Boo for amnesia.

Happy deathday, Michael. It's amazing that it's already been four years, but somehow it's not hard to believe.

And late deathday greetings to Kath, who turned 5 years dead last January 4! What a perfect day to join the Downs.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-07-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #480
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
'Tis my 7th deathday today! Who'd have thought that this site would be such an important part of my life for so many years?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote