The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #241
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
You mean to tell me that a Pippin fan like you (or at least I'm guessing that by your avatar) didn't like being a Fool of a Took? .
Well, I really did like being a Fool of a Took. But moving up means I'm that much closer to being as faithful as Samwise, which is a very cool thing to be. *nod nod* Only about 20 points left to go!

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #242
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
My curiosity was recently piqued concerning the general pattern of “join date”. There are members on this forum of great antiquity dating back to the the earliest barrows ever dug. Within the “Members List” page, there is a link named “Search Members” located just above the “Avatar” column. If one chooses the “Advanced Search” link, a wealth of options presents itself. I chose “Order Results by” Join Date and was easily satisfied, but the search is powerful and much more could easily be gleaned.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #243
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flame
Well, I really did like being a Fool of a Took. But moving up means I'm that much closer to being as faithful as Samwise, which is a very cool thing to be. *nod nod* Only about 20 points left to go!

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~

Isn't a little against the spirit of the thing to be quite so keen on advancement and to broadcast the details of who and how many? Might look likr bragging.. or fishing.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 11-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #244
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I have another question about the repping system? How many points do I give out when I rep someone. Is there a formula to it. I have 3 jewels box things, and almost 500 posts, just curious to see how many points i "rep" somebody up, when I do rep them. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:56 AM   #245
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Read The Barrow-Wight Explains Reputation Weights for the answer.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:50 PM   #246
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Thanks for the link BW.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #247
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

You know, I recently got "negative points" for responding to a thread that's been discussed too many times? Oh better yet, the person didn't leave his name, you might as well tell me who you are, instead of hiding. Anyway, I just felt like making it known, if you are going to give me points, fess up, write your name down, instead of hiding.

Last edited by Boromir88; 11-08-2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #248
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

It was me!* What are you going to do about it!?

* Not really. Hee. Stop complaining and make enough good posts to overcome occasional unexplained setbacks.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #249
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Thanks for that link, BW. I'd been wondering how that all worked out.

EDIT: *snackle* I'm as faithful as Samwise now! *polishes her shiny new jewel*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~

Last edited by Sapphire_Flame; 11-10-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #250
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question Silly idea moment:

If you get übermany reps, can you design your own reputation title?

Not asking for myself (obviously), but the idea of some people (coughdavemFordimBBSauciecoughheyitalmostrhymes!) getting certain priveleges with 10 or more boxes intrigue me.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #251
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! The necklace--or crown--grows

I notice that davem is now the bearer of two glowing jewels, out of seven. And congratulations to Sauce for moving up to third place with his own jewel.

I wonder if this means that 200 points are now needed to gain a new jewel? I'm assuming that davem has topped 700 points.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #252
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

So is davem now in the "Holy of Holies" of Aragorn's court? Or is he trying to usurp the throne from Aragorn himself?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:25 AM   #253
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
So is davem now in the "Holy of Holies" of Aragorn's court? Or is he trying to usurp the throne from Aragorn himself?
Whatcha mean 'Aragorn's throne'? Its MINE....My Precioussss!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:27 AM   #254
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

So that's what an additional shiny jewel does to people...creepy...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:04 AM   #255
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Greetings and welcome to Aragorn's court HerenIstarion and Mark 12_30. As you can see there's a variety of entertainments available to you. That figure smugly puffing away behind the cloud of pipesmoke is davem -- I believe that he is ready to engage you in conversation of a most learned manner.

Somewhere hereabouts Saucey is getting a dart board ready, and I believe that Bethberry has just stepped out to make us all a lovely pot of tea.

Your dressing gowns are there upon the rack and your slippers are before the fire. I'm off to plunder the cellar for a new cask of ale (SpM and Bb got into our last one yesterday afternoon. . .)
Old 11-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #256
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I take it then that the court of Aragorn is designated as a private members club or else you will be in contravention of the new anti-smoking legislation... lol ... *imagines Agargorn, Gandalf, Gimli and the hobbits huddled under a porch in Minas Tirith puffing away*

And has HI elevation to this rank anythinf to do with the change in his avatar? Has he quite literally become a faceless bureaucrat? The rep. hierachy suddenly gets sinister..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-21-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #257
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Mith's back!

Ah, the ban doesn't come in for some years yet, and if an establishment does not serve food then it can be exempt. Which is good because my local is one of those real ale pubs which disdains the very notion of food . *she says, merrily puffing away like Denise Royle and spilling ash across the computer*

Is that how you spell bureaucrat? I will have call myself a 'pen-pusher' no longer.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:29 PM   #258
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe <-- Virtual puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I take it then that the court of Aragorn is designated as a private members club or else you will be in contravention of the new anti-smoking legislation...
I would surmise that, since it is a virtual court, the "arguments" used to justify that particular (ill-thought out and illiberal) piece of proposed legislation do not apply.

Congrats and welcome to Helen and HI - and to davem for your second jewel.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #259
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Lalwendë]Mith's back!

QUOTE]

You "mith'd" me? I am turning into an Igor..and I may have to stop fighting that abbreviation . though I might hold out for the full 3 syllables to avoid confusion with the longer serving and more illustrious Mithadan. Besides, I imagine it with a very welsh accent in which the stress goes on the second like Myfanwy .. but NVM

So does that mean no hunt ban either

Old 11-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #260
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Sorry, Mith, um.....Mithalwen! I suppose it's like when people assume my first name is really longer than it is and automatically write it down, hence me having to snatch the paper off them before my wages get signed over to someone else...

Hunt Ban? Careful, or it's going to get like one of those pubs which has to have a sign on the wall saying "No religion or politics to be discussed in this establishment".

EDIT:

I apologise for wittering (see below). *mortified*

Last edited by Lalwendë; 11-22-2004 at 04:09 AM. Reason: To apologise
Old 11-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #261
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Perhaps we could continue this conversation in the chat room? Honestly, how did you all find the time to earn those good reputations?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:38 PM   #262
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Thanks for warm welcome

Quote:
Has he quite literally become a faceless bureaucrat
What's wrong with my avatar? I can see it allright

BW, sorry - just curiousity (which, as we know, killed a cat. On the other hand, though I do own cats, (or they own me, rather), I'm not one myself

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #263
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Ah! More to mingle with in Aragorn's court. In addition to the recently arrived Helen/Mark and HerenIstarion, we also now have Kransha and two very esteemed and esteemable mods, Child of the Seventh Age and Estelyn.

Ladies, I welcome more company from the distaff side! Congratulations all.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #264
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

Thanks for the welcome - tea time, gals!! (Sure, we can lace it, but let's make the guys think we're prim and proper! )

Estelyn wanders about her ancestral halls, studying the tapestries and planning a new one of her own...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 AM   #265
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Welcome Kransha, Child and Esty -- it's getting positively crowded in here.

Ah davem, remember the days we could lounge around here in our bathrobes? *wistful sigh*

Hmm. . .not so sure about Kransha however. . .are orcs allowed in Minas Tirith, even well-dressed orcs?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:34 AM   #266
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Wow! Aragorn's court is getting very crowded all of a sudden. Congratulations to mark, Estelyn, Child, Kransha and Heren! *sends gold stars*

Anyone want to place bets about who ascends to the Court next?

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #267
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Like Esty, I also thank you for the welcome and the congratulations. Thanks for the tea. Interesting scent it has.

Er, where are the mushrooms grown hereabouts? You do have mushrooms, yes? And seed-cake? Ale perhaps?

My goodness, davem, that's a big fancy chair you're sitting on.

H-I, let's go up to the top of the tower, and have a look around at the lay of the land-- all those twists and turns made my head spin a bit.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #268
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Congratulations to all you luminous personages! I find myself trying to add to your reps frequently, but unable to since I have so enjoyed your former posts. I suppose that is a very good sign and I should not grumble about lowering the 're-rep' limits!
Old 11-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #269
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I suppose Fordim will be expecting another round of port and cigars, for he has now earned his seventh jewel. Two sparkley ones!

Wonderful work, Fordim, particularly on your Rohan game, Shadow of the West. Each post is a gem itself.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #270
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Yes, it's good to be once again at davem's heights.

(Gimme that chair!)

For this I think I'd be willing to break out the champagne and the really good cheese and chocolates, however.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #271
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Many thanks to all for the kind wishes. With so many beginning to crowd into Elessar's court, the place is getting a bit cramped, to say nothing of the strain on the kitchen and scullery staff who are trying to keep you all fed and clean. (Some folk seem to have prodigious appetites!)

As a humble Hobbit, Cami naturally feels more comfortable "under the stairs" so I am slinking down to the kitchen where I can whip up a table full of hearty fare both for residents of the court and those friends who are visiting....
Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #272
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots A lesson in how not to address the ladies of the court

Welcome one and all.

Quote:
... to say nothing of the strain on the kitchen and scullery staff who are trying to keep you all fed and clean.
Er, isn't that why all you girls are here?

*Crashes, clangs and general clamour as various kitchen implements bounce off Saucepan's pots and pans*

Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #273
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

Aragorn likes to have his women embroidering, not cooking and cleaning, Saucy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #274
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Great. Me socks are in the basket.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 PM   #275
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

You darn, darnit! I'll embroider.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #276
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sheesh. I'll go for a walk in the woods above the city, and look for mushrooms. I thought the war was over. Guess not!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #277
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

It's also nice to have the women around to serve the drinks. Cf. Galadriel and Eowyn.

*Fordim scrambles for the closed door of the library amid another hail of domestic weaponry*
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #278
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Eye Super Stars

I, being an admin, have the wonderful ability to drag people down from their Super Star status, especially if they are chatting in this forum about that very topic. Not that I'd ever have to do such a thing, considering how quickly such folks take a hint.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #279
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Amen, sir. Amen. Some people...
Old 11-25-2004, 02:21 AM   #280
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
On topic

Well, we do take hints, Messrs.

So question about reputations in general:

We are not likely to see a development in other direction - the only person not to have green sqaure has a blue one and is merely 'slipping'. It's good to have it so - for one, it shows we do not have particularly bad posters (i.e. 'trolls') around. Secondly, it shows we ourselves are not that wicked - we tend to give positive rating or nothing rather than rate someone down. But, with dying cats swinging to and fro inside my mind, I, showing my purely scholastic curiosity, would be glad to learn what titles go in opposite direction. Suppose we had someone with seven red squares, what would be his titulage? So and so is Morgoth's buddy? I'm asking for that kind of knowledge only as I hope (and I'm almost 100% sure) we have no chance of ever seeing it happening with our own eyes. So, what's there in store for those going in other direction?

thanks and cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Closed Thread