The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2002, 05:16 PM   #41
Tyler
Animated Skeleton

Tyler has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Sting

Oh no thay are calling me a geek. I could care less what some dumb jock or cool guys thinks of me. Its just to bad that thay cant be them selves. Caues hey what would their friends think of them? Im sure thay would like the book if thay read it. I dont know how many people i know who dont like to read but loved the books. So if i like to read LOTR call me a geek. Your comment means nothing to me due to your ignorance.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:36 PM   #42
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dūm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

Labels are for jars.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:40 PM   #43
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

In some ways I do consider myself being a geek and some not. I always always ALWAYS talk about lotr. Hehe, some people think I'm "sick". I just say no, I'm obsessed hehe.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #44
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woah! I totally resent the whole "geek" thing! I may be a LotR fan, a Star Wars fan, a Trekkie, etc... but I'm no geek. I have nothing against geeks; I happen to have a crush on one, but I've worked hard to maintain my reputation, and I really don't apppreciate some newspaper trying to sterotype me.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:07 PM   #45
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

At our school its a lil different. "Geek" is attached almost as a badge of pride. A lot of us call ourselves geeks simply because we are and proud of it. This includes all those that are computer loving, tolkienites, and etc. If anyone watches shows like The Screen Savers, you'll get my meaning.

So Heck yes ima GEEK!
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:46 PM   #46
cassiopeia

Sting

I suppose I am a geek in the modern definition of the word, although I resent being stereotyped. I like the LOTR, Star Wars, Star Trek and The X files. I also like science and am studying math! But that means I'm smart, liking those things, doesn't it? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #47
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I AM NOT A GEEK!!!!

I'm a nerd.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:28 PM   #48
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liking mainstream movies does not make you a geek, knowing that Arwen messed up her elvish does.

(She did.)
Old 11-26-2002, 04:11 PM   #49
Lady_Artemis

Silmaril

I am a geek and darned proud of it. Being called geek is not a negative title. People just call us that because we are interesting in something far too complex for their little brains to comprehend. So come geeks! Form an alliance against those who are not and lets defeat them with our brain power! Well, I'm only joking about the whole part of the going against peeps because I am a tad bit pacifist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 04:34 PM   #50
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I too hate stereotypes, and agree with NN10 that labels are for jars.

But if:
  • liking films such as LotR and Star Wars etc
  • watching programmes like the X-Files and Star Trek almost religiously
  • reading books everyday (and the odd comic)
  • writing in fictional languages
  • spending hours on the computer
  • taking sciences and maths and enjoying them

Makes you a geek, then I guess I am one. I've been told so many a time.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:39 PM   #51
Maylin Talese
Pile O'Bones

Maylin Talese has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmmmmmm... well, I'm more a nerd then a geek....

I'm a self-proclaimed nerd, but jut because you read Tolkien doesn't make you a geek. I've found people wo read tolkien, but aren't considered geek....

and for the most part, if you DON'T read harry potter you're coonsidered a geek... THough I think it's sad that so many kids at my school limit themselves to reading Harry Potter.
Maylin Talese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #52
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
and for the most part, if you DON'T read harry potter you're coonsidered a geek... THough I think it's sad that so many kids at my school limit themselves to reading Harry Potter.
Well, it is sad, though I guess we all have to wait for mature opinions until we all get older, and the kids after us read HP... Like the way LotR has created nerds and Geeks out even one who has been reading all of Tolkien for about 10++years...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:36 AM   #53
Cśdae
Wight

Cśdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cśdae
Sting

If I need to like math and science to be a geek, leave me out of it! Hehe. I'm literary geek who tries not to refer to myself as a geek but rather as a Tolkienite or a Trekkie depending on who I am speaking with.

Hopefully, you don't need to like math and science to be a geek! I think I qualify for geek-hood because I do not argue with my sisters (of which I have another by the name of Haleth) over normal things (hair, clothes, etc.) but rather about the correct translation of correct translation of "Aragorn" and whether Sauron was truly destoyed at the end of the War of the Ring. Try arguing with a seven-year old about that.

And I need to correct a mistake I made in my last post: Aredhel is my cousin, not my sister. It's tough keeping names straight in my family. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 02:49 PM   #54
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes Gorothlammothiel, I agree, stereotypes are generally not very pleasent.

Here I how I measure up:

* liking films such as LotR and Star Wars etc YES!
* watching programmes like the X-Files and Star Trek almost religiously Yes!
* reading books everyday (and the odd comic)Yes!
* writing in fictional languages: Not usually
* spending hours on the computer Well, I am only allowed 1 hour a day so... ya
* taking sciences and maths and enjoying them: sorta, grade 11 Physics isn't allways what I would call "fun" however I did take it of my own free will so I really can't complain too much

Well, if that makes you a geek, I guesse I am one too! Oh well! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #55
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just out of curiousity, these are our reasons and lists for being geeks so are there certain "qualities" for the other stereotypes?

By that I mean ones like (excuse my lack of social skills, these may not be correct) trendies(?) townies(?) etc.

Another point, why is it that for a "goth", it is how they look that makes them a "goth"?. For a "grunger" it is how they look. For a "Skater" it is also how they look, so why is it that a "geek" or "nerd" are defined by characteristics, interests and intelligence? Does that make us more accurate to the stereotypes we have been given because they are deeper than face value?
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 01:32 PM   #56
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dictionary Defintions:

geek (gTk) n. Slang.
1. An odd or ridiculous person.
2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal geck, fool, from Low German gek, from Middle Low German.]
—geek2y adj.

and...

nerd also nurd (nūrd) n. Slang.
1. A person regarded as stupid, inept, or unattractive.
2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
[Perhaps after Nerd, a character in If I Ran the Zoo, by Theodor Seuss Geisel.]
—nerd2y adj.

WORD HISTORY: The word nerd and a nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: “And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo a Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!” (The nerd itself is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur.) Nerd next appears, with a gloss, in the February 10, 1957, issue of the Glasgow, Scotland, Sunday Mail in a regular column entitled “ABC for SQUARES”: “Nerd—a square, any explanation needed?” Many of the terms defined in this “ABC” are unmistakable Americanisms, such as hep, ick, and jazzy, as is the gloss “square,” the current meaning of nerd. The third appearance of nerd in print is back in the United States in 1970 in Current Slang: “Nurd [sic], someone with objectionable habits or traits. . . . An uninteresting person, a ‘dud.’” Authorities disagree on whether the two nerds—Dr. Seuss's small creature and the teenage slang term in the Glasgow Sunday Mail—are the same word. Some experts claim there is no semantic connection and the identity of the words is fortuitous. Others maintain that Dr. Seuss is the true originator of nerd and that the word nerd (“comically unpleasant creature”) was picked up by the five- and six-year-olds of 1950 and passed on to their older siblings, who by 1957, as teenagers, had restricted and specified the meaning to the most comically obnoxious creature of their own class, a “square.”

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 01:40 PM   #57
Lady_Artemis

Silmaril

Thank you Elven-Maiden. I had never acctually read the defenitions of those words. Now it all makes sense.......
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #58
FarathrimMaiden
Pile O'Bones

FarathrimMaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Im a geek if you wanna stereotypr like that, i like lotr, star wars, i play chess (im a girl and the only girl on our chess team), am studious, love comp games like diablo, i even like board games like risk and civilization. My friends ( i hang out with people i would consider non-geeks, although some do like board games and star wars) call me "geek" in the nicest sense of the word since they know that i dont mind. Then again i use dto p[lay basketball and volleyball and could have been called a jock or prep, basically i think stereotyping is dumb, cuz im still the same person (although i actually like being thought of as a geek, its awesome)

*Frodo most certainly does live.*

"Will you look into my mirror?"
"What will I see?"
FarathrimMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:17 AM   #59
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the person who wrote the article, is a bit angry, most probaly because he is a loser. Spiderman,Harry Potter, Star Wars and LOTR are adored by proablably around 1 billion (all together) people. So he/she thinks 1 bilion poeple are geeks just becuase he doesn't like that kind of thing? Yeah, um right. This guy (or girl) is just beign a stereotypicla twat. Ignore him. (Or her)

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:53 AM   #60
Peacepoet

Sting

I feel that there is nothing wrong with being a geek. It's the geeky type that bring us the literature and the movie that we enjoy and are fascinated by. I bet Peter Jackson was a geek....and look was he created. Those of us who enjoy these movies and books tend to be of the bookworm variety. I mean how many of you can just get lost in the history that Tolkien create? You have to read to know all that.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:34 PM   #61
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, from the moment I picked up my first copy of The Hobbit and scribbled all over the pages, I was a geek. I work at being a geek, because if what the people at my school apart from my mates) are "normal", then I sure don't want to be normal.

People call me a geek, among other things, on a daily basis. today I got it twice to my face and god knows how many times behind my back. But hey, I am a geek and darn proud of it too. It's cool to be different, and different is what I am.

I don't tally with any definition in the whole world of dictionaries, but who are the dictionary-writers to diffine us?

LOTR is a whole different world to submerge yourself in, and if you can't do that, then you just arn't living. It's not only Tolkien, but any book you can pick up. There are times when he real world just is'nt enough.

And I'll tell you one thing. When the people who call us geeks reach a low point in their lives; when everything goes wrong and the world seems to close in around them, they wont have LOTR to escape to. For them, there is no escape.

But even if LOTR suddenly disappeared, it would exist in our hearts, Something to pass on to our children and our childrens children.

so my message is: Jump on the bus to geek-dom. Middle-Earth; there is no place like home.

Sorry if I spooked anyone.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #62
Elvenstarr

Silmaril

Wow! I guess I consider myself a nerd..not really a geek. Hey, different strokes for different folks, right? I'm just a punk rock nerd girl. That sums myself up in one sentence. lol
Old 01-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #63
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I don't know what I would consider myself. Maybe I am a mix, part nerd, part geek. Though I don't really mind either. But I don't like being labeled.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #64
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Any one who wants to lable me as clever, witty, beautiful and such is free to, in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #65
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i'm a wannabe. i wear what i want, occasionally imitating other people, and ususally do what i want as well. i tend to pick up the traits of other people too - like what they like, etc. total social faliure, i know...*slap slap nuguer*
i do have a few things that are my own though - mainly LOTR, titanic, and alias. mostly stuff i found on my own and didn't steal from someone else's personality.
i don't consider myself a nerd or a geek, though other people probably do. i hate stereotypes, but i am a bit of a social outcast. i don't talk much. :P
i do love fantasy worlds, especially lord of the rings, the taliswoman trilogy, and the fantastically awesome book sabriel. i want to be an actor so i can be someone else regularly.
so...to sum up, i'm different but i'm not proud, and i'm forever trying to change myself. *sigh* thank god for legolas.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #66
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a geek and no one realizes it! What's wrong with people these days? Don't they know anything? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
But seriously; geeks, freaks, nerds, jocks, bookworms; the world is full of titles and it will always be. So I say, just have fun and live with it cause stereotypes are always gonna be there. So this month I'm a geek, next month I'll be a nerd, and maybe one day I might gather up the courage to step over the line a become a ditzy cheerleader! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
(I give everyone permission to shoot me if that ever happens *shudders*)
Old 01-08-2003, 10:08 PM   #67
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Everyone has some geek in them, some just don't want to give in to it. I gave in long ago, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:04 AM   #68
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
and the fantastically awesome book sabriel.
you know, I have that book currently sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust. I guess I should read it, get obsessed and have yet another claim to geekdom.

And by the way, today I got called Frodo 2nd and elf girl.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #69
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*gasp*
PICK THAT UP AND READ IT RIGHT NOW!!!
you'll love it, i promise.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:52 PM   #70
Luthien
Pile O'Bones

Luthien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am A Geek and Proud of it, although I enjoy nerd better, geeks are well respected and are true pleasure seekers, who else would love the lord of the rings, star wars, and Harry potter and not try to find some new way to call it gay. If you are not comfortable being a geek or associating with them, think of it this way, we love what we do and don't give a palantir what anyone else thinks.
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #71
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

I am thrice accursed, being a LotR geek, and anime geek and a band geek, lol.

But seriously why does the term geek or nerd seemed to be plastered to those who enjoy escaping the confines of reality through things like music, art, reading (especially that of fantasy or science fiction genre). I mean, aren't these the things tht enrich our culture and make it more beautiful and able to bear? I proudly bear the term geek, and even though I'm scorned for it. So in true geek fashion, i would just like to say...

~Frodo Lives!~ *waves nine fingers in the air*
Old 02-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #72
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is this article from Sci-Fi magazine showing what a geek-version of the Oscar would look like, Minority Report, Star Wars, Spider-Man, Signs and of course TTT leading the way!

Click Here!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 PM   #73
Eressiė Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressiė Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressiė Ailin
Question

Geek? Well, I'm more of a nerd. But yes I do consider myself a sort of geeky LOTR fanatic.

Eressiė Ailin= geek/nerd

YAAAAAYYYY!!!! I'm a Wight!!!!!!!! Go me!!! And I've only been on this site for two weeks!!!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!!!
Eressiė Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #74
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My family is definitely geeky, and so am I. We are trekkies, starwars-fans, bookworms, band-geeks, ect. I don't enjoy math but I enjoy it's "practical application": SCIENCE! I found LotR on my own, and if being a LotR fanatic makes me a geek then I really am! But in a way that's sad, because if I had gotten LotR from my parents maybe they would have named me Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, or something else, like Cśdae's family did. *Sigh* Well MY kids will get cool names [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I agree with all the people who said that geeks are labled because of how much fun we have. And I like Meela's alternative label: Children of Fantasy. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Well, this Child of Fantasy/ Geek is done!
Old 02-26-2003, 09:52 PM   #75
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've never been "geeky" as in math/science/computer overachievers, but I became a "bookworm" as soon as I learned to read. I've been a Tolkein fan and Star Trek fan since the 1960's. I've always been considered odd in my family and in recent years I've been considered odd at work as well (my screensaver cycles about 250-300 images from FotR & TTT and I carry a book with me where ever I go [usually Tolkein]). But at 52, other people's opinions don't matter much to me. I enjoy my books (and my screensavers) and get on with my life.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:45 PM   #76
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

im a geek and proud of it. i wear glasses, am very short, and am always always reading.
i have skipped a year at school and am extremely good at everything except drama and pe. so yes im a geek.
im gonna have a better job than the cool kids in my class, who cant even read. and whenever one of them "teases the boffin" to remain cool, i reach into my pocket and bring out a steel ruler with sharp points. i also hit 1 around the head with my boot bag once, so they know that geeks who have been touched by the violence in tolkien are not very easy targets. i now actually await scuffles with them, just for the chance to stab someone
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM   #77
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

my friends are actually fairly normal, and though i go around speaking elvish, they dont seem to mind. they are ot eeks, im afraid. but we geeks are of a higher order than the fools beneath us. why should we not form a great alliance, a geek club even?
we could have a britain, america and canada wide geek club, or better still, tolkienite group. we could be great in the world, but we are spread too far apart. geeks are etting harder and harder to find, and tolkienites are even scarcer. seems were never gonna rule the world...
Old 02-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #78
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Im glad to see that I'm not alone in my love of Trek and LOTR. Now if only I had a Holodeck, or was Q..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:28 PM   #79
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Im glad to see that I'm not alone in my love of Trek and LOTR. Now if only I had a Holodeck, or was Q.....

Yeah, I wish Q would answer my e-mails...he promised to send me to Middle-Earth for my birthday but now he's hiding!!
Old 03-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #80
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

just out of interest... is anybody else here planning to take over the world? its sorta a geeky thing to do. we could form an army and torture people to turn them into orcs... i have a few peoples names in mind...
and then we could squash people to make hobbits. and squash them if they have beards to make dwarves. and give em face lifts to make elves. and set them on fire to make balrogs. we could have so much fun if we ruled the world. we could make it more lotr like. come on, any other geks wanna help?

i am more of a boffin than a geek. my level of intelligence is stunning and i am very short.

i have made myself a bow out of 4 rulers and an elastic band. i also made myself 3 arrows by sticking pens together. now, this is not a particularly geeky thing to do. but then i gave them all names (the bows durin, the arrows are gimli, thorin and dain)

so, being a geek is a good thing, if we can take over the world.

p.s., extremely sorry that this message had no paragraph structure!