The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
what if Sam had kept the ring?!!!!!

If Sam had kept the ring what would happen?
Mordor would be turned into a giant potato patch. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ummmmm... He would force everyone to plant a garden and give him seeds and cuttings for a tax??? How evil that would be! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And we all thought Sauron was evil! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 08:13 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that he would have just lain down by the side of the road before he got to the mountain. Remember Frodo? He would have just given out without Sam. I don't think that Sam is really that much stronger then Frodo. Most likely Sauron would have gotten the ring back, unless Sam got some help.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that he may have made it. After all, Frodo had had the ring for much longer and Sam had just gotten it. Even though it's stronger in Morder I still think that Sam would've given it every fiber of his being...
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:00 AM   #5
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I think Sam would have got to Mount Doom and i think he would have had the mental strength to throw it in.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:52 PM   #6
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting question. Giant potato path? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think Sam would have either died in the attempt, or tried to use the Ring and have been overwhelmed by it's power. Frodo needed Sam and Sam needed Frodo. Neither of them could have done it alone. For me, that was one of the main messages of the book.
Both of those hobbits had a special kind of grace about them, but they both would hav e failed if they hadn't the support of someone they loved.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:11 PM   #7
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting question. Giant potato path? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think Sam would have either died in the attempt, or tried to use the Ring and have been overwhelmed by it's power. Frodo needed Sam and Sam needed Frodo. Neither of them could have done it alone. For me, that was one of the main messages of the book.
Both of those hobbits had a special kind of grace about them, but they both would hav e failed if they hadn't the support of someone they loved.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:14 PM   #8
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think Sam could have used the ring better then Frodo, because in the end Frodo was so tired from keeping the ring under his command, so Sam looked stronger, but I don't think he was.

P.S. (I don't think Sauron would have liked the potato patch [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 09-09-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
akwhaman

Sting

it'll be Lord of the Rings all over again!!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:17 PM   #10
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Makes you feel sorry for Gollum though doesn't it what would Sam do to him for betraying frodo*shudder*
remember how angry Sam got when he thought Faramir was threatening Frodo *sigh* poor Smeagol.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

He'd be seen pretty quick and cowed before he could give a shout.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

Truly i dont think Sam could have made it to Orodruin alone Frodo barely made it and he was helped by Merry, Pippin and Sam(The Shire to Rivendell),the fellowship(from Rivendell to the Brown lands),Sam and Gollum(in Mordor and the Brown lands).
PS i really didnt need all those footnotes did I!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:45 AM   #13
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam with the ring, hmm he would be the worst tyrant gardener that ever lived, people would be forced into hard labour to grow the biggest veg ever! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #14
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Ring

If Sam had to take the ring alone he would most likely throw HIMSELF in the mountain with the ring. He'd be to upset to go one living without Frodo.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:15 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i like the compulsory gardening ideas [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

no more meat... giant flower houses... bill n' ben style clothes and hats... eating meals with trowels and forks...

sounds quite fun actually [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #16
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I know as a fact that Sam would have made it to the mountain and back.

Why?

Because Sam did everything for Frodo. He would have made it for Frodo. Everytime he was about to give up he would think of how Frodo would want him to complete the quest.

He also promised the uncontious Frodo that he would come back for him. Sam was not about to break a promise to his master. He would have gone all the way and back to Frodo.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #17
kaleidoscope
Pile O'Bones

kaleidoscope has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Sam would have made it to Orodruin but would fail to throw the ring in. Frodo couldn't throw the ring in by himself, he needed Gollum. Since Sam would have killed Gollum earlier, he would not be able to throw the ring in. Sauron would eventually get the ring back and take over the world [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 08:50 PM   #18
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

No, I agree with Rose Cotton, I think Sam would have made it for Frodo, or, if failing that he would have done it for the Shire and to stop the Gaffer being thrown out of Bagshot Row(Sharkeys end, heehee)!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:28 PM   #19
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting question! My first impulse is to say he wouldn't have made it. His character is different than Frodo, and he hadn't grown as much as Frodo had since the beginning of the quest. Frodo was the one who wanted to spare Gollum, while Sam didn't!

But I think it's a good point to say that he would have made it for Frodo. Very good point.

I guess I'll just have to say, I don't know!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:26 AM   #20
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It all depends on when Sam took the ring. If he took it at Cirith Ungol I would have to say yes, Sam would of been able to make it Mt. Doom and back. If he had had the ring for as long as Frodo had I don't think he would of faired any better.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:58 AM   #21
Saskia

Sting

lol! he would have tried to use it to plant farms everywhere and then it would have somehow gone horribly wrong!! nooo
but seriously, i agree with that last post that from the point where he'd taken it, he easily would have been able to take it to mt doom and back. maybe not if he had had it from the start. but i think sam is stronger than ppl think. his loyalty is so strong that if he had promised to someone that he'd throw the ring in the fire, he would not matter what.
oh yeah ps i'm new (:
-Saskia
Old 12-07-2002, 10:53 AM   #22
Alakhriveion TMA
Pile O'Bones

Alakhriveion TMA has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alakhriveion TMA
Pipe

Sam would destroy the Ring. That's all there is to it. He proved more apt and strong of will than Frodo on Mt. Doom, and he might even have been a better ring-bearer, if it hadn't come to Frodo first.

OK, OK, my name is Sam, So I'm slightly biased.
Alakhriveion TMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:57 AM   #23
Alakhriveion TMA
Pile O'Bones

Alakhriveion TMA has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alakhriveion TMA
Sting

To Aramacil-
"looked" nothing. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Alakhriveion TMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:11 PM   #24
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm inclined to agree with Rosie. Sam's good at keeping promises, and if he promised Frodo to come back for him, come back he would, come Mount Doom or high water. I don't think it would've been easy by any means for him, but I think that in the end he would've gotten rid of the Ring and come back for Frodo. He wasn't very tempted by the Ring--there was that one moment in RotK, but that was quickly gotten rid of by his good, plain ol' Hobbit sense. (Heaven knows we need more of that!) I think that he could've thrown the Ring into the Cracks of Doom, if nobody had physically stopped him.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-11-2002, 01:35 PM   #25
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It is my impression that Sam would have taken the ring all the way to the Cracks of Mt. Doom, and that he would have accomplished what Frodo could not. The one thing that amazed me most was that Sam handed the ring back to Frodo with no apparent fight. I think Sam was so preoccupied with Frodo and every thing and one back in the Shire that it would have allowed him to conquer.
Either that, or he would have died trying, which really would have been a bad thing.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:40 PM   #26
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

First off, let me be the first to welcome you to the Downs, Airehiriel! Enjoy being dead!

Quote:
The one thing that amazed me most was that Sam handed the ring back to Frodo with no apparent fight.
That impressed me about Sam, as well. His only hesitation came from his concern for Frodo's well-being, not wanting to burden him with the Ring again. It took a lot of purity of heart and, of course, good old-fashioned Hobbit sense to fight off so successfully the temptation of the Ring. He had enough sense to recognize the tricks of the Ring, and to realize that everything it had him imagining was fake. /sigh/ My Sam.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-12-2002, 11:31 AM   #27
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you,Orual! It is nice to be welcomed. So, have I found a fellow Sam devotee? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I tell everyone Sam is my favorite because of this exact topic, but most of the people I tell haven't read the book, so I can't give the ending away!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It is so frustrating sometimes. Hopefully I can learn my way around here and settle in. Again, thank you!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:52 PM   #28
Uruviel, Lady of Lorien

Sting

yeh i think sam is more of a hero than Frodo
Old 12-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #29
The Shadow In The East
Pile O'Bones

The Shadow In The East has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

why did frodo leave sam behind i would have smuggled him onto the ship! after all sam did for frodo he just left him behind!
The Shadow In The East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:19 PM   #30
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

No worries, Airehiriel! There are plenty of Sam devotees to be found. And yes, I do happen to be one of them. ^_^ I love hobbits, and above all Sam. His loyalty, dedication, devotion, and love for Frodo touched me in a way that no other character in any other book had been able to.

Quote:
why did frodo leave sam behind i would have smuggled him onto the ship! after all sam did for frodo he just left him behind!
Well, Shadow, I have to disagree with you there. Frodo didn't "smuggle" Sam aboard because Sam still had responsibilities in the Shire, and, as Bilbo said of Frodo in the movie, Sam was still in love with the Shire. They had saved the Shire, but Frodo had been too wounded by the Ring to be able to live in comfort anywhere in Middle-earth ever again. Sam was a different story. The quest had, of course, changed him greatly, but not in the same way that it changed Frodo. Besides, Sam had Rosie, Elanor, and twelve other children to come. He was the Mayor, and had the responsibilities thereof. So, despite the fact that in all likelihood any plot to smuggle Sam to the West would've been found out, Sam still had things to live for in the Shire. And besides, eventually Sam followed Frodo, after Rosie's death. So in the end, it turned out as happily ever after as it could, though I won't deny that I cried for hours after I finished Return of the King.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #31
EAM

Pipe

Personally, I think that Sam would have thrown it into the mountain...except I bet Gollum would've followed HIM and fallen in THAT way. So Sam would've had his revenge AND the job would be done.
I bet he would've felt awful, though, when he learned that Frodo was still living!
I don't think Sam would've made Mordor a 'giant potato patch', actually. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2002, 01:41 PM   #32
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I agree with Orual and Rose, Sam would have made it for Frodo if not for other reason too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm another Sam devotee [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . As a side note, Orual , did you get your name from "Till We Have Faces"?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #33
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Sam devotees unite! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #34
Till Hardbottle

Shield

I'd have to agree with everyone who said he'd make it because of his love and devotion to Frodo. 'Good-bye, master, my dear! Forgive your Sam. He'll come back to this spot when the job's done - if he manages it. And he'll not leave you again ... And if the lady could hear me and give me one wish, I would wish to come back and finde you again. Goodbye!' And even if Frodo didn't give Sam the strength to do it, he would be able to make it much easier than Frodo because the ring had no hold over him yet, he would only need food and water for himself, and the purity of his heart would urge him on.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #35
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

If Sam has kept the ring, I agree with Rose Cotton, he would have done all he could to keep his promise to Frodo, that cannot be denied. But stout-hearted as Sam is, not even he could have stood under the power of the ring. It would have crept into his heart and mind and would have played the same games and tricks as it had all other ring-bearers. Yes, even Sam would have fallen. It might have not had such a hold on him as it had Frodo, Bilbo, and the like but he still would have been tempted. He may have in the end been tempted worst of all. The ring would have completely worked him over, trying to get back to it's Master, since Sam was already in Mordor. It probably would have broken him in the end, so I think it best that he never had to be tested. I like my Sam as he is: sweet, innocent, and loving.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #36
ElberethVarda
Pile O'Bones

ElberethVarda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't make up my mind! I'm a Sam fan myself. I think that he would have tried his very best to throw the Ring away, for the love of Frodo. But, would his best have been enough? I think he needed Frodo as much as Frodo needed him and neither could do well w/o the other.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:40 PM   #37
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

There is no one in Lord of the Rings more devoted and loyal than Sam. However, even he could not have destroyed the Ring.

Tolkien is absolutely clear on this point in his Letters. He stated that no being within Arda could have escaped the corruption of the Ring. He blankly stated that Frodo was given an impossible task, one that no one would have been able to accomplish.

I can imagine the Ring working on Sam's mind, taking positive attitudes and turning them inside out. I can almost hear it whispering to him: Sam, go on and put it on. What harm can come of using it? You can make life much more comfortable for Mr. Frodo who has been so deeply hurt. Just use it to ease his pain.

Gandalf understood that someone could take up the Ring meaning to do good, and that it would corrupt all those good intentions. Sam's situation would have been no different.

Child

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #38
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam would have made it. look at the facts. Sam was the only hobbit to resist the magical powers of the Old Forest and after the incident w/Shelob Sam had The Ring and was essentially unharmed, his loyalty to Frodo apparently shielding him from it's evil influence. Sam is just as strong as Aragorn, Frodo or Gandalf in the books, only he is sometimes underrated because he's an everyman's man. Don't amke the same mistake, kids!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:08 PM   #39
Mooncalf
Pile O'Bones

Mooncalf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only thing that really kept Sam going throughout Mordor was the knowledge that he had to take care of Frodo. Without Frodo, he would have been utterly lost. So no, I don't think he would have made it. He wouldn't have had anything to cling to.

Sam was the Perfect Sidekick. I think he knew his role. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #40
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Tolkien is absolutely clear on this point in his Letters. He stated that no being within Arda could have escaped the corruption of the Ring. He blankly stated that Frodo was given an impossible task, one that no one would have been able to accomplish.
Actually, that's not quite right. The Ring had no power over Tom Bombadil.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote