Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #361
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
IT IS EARLY EVENING, AND SUPPER IS JUST STARTING TO BE SERVED.

THE WEATHER IS FAIR - A LITTLE RAIN HAS COME AND GONE.

THE EVENING STAR CAN BE SEEN PERCHED JUST ABOVE THE HORIZON.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-19-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #362
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Falowik

Falowik and Uien walked hand in hand along the roadside, as the stars came out. They came to the tree that both remembered as the place where things began.

"I sat at the base of this tree," Falowik said. Uien had come to him, wondering if he needed anything. He had needed so much, and had been afraid to receive it, afraid to ask for it, afraid of anybody coming near at all. Yet she had come, and touched him; no more than a touch of kindness, and it had been too much.

"I gave you blankets." Uien's smile was in her voice.

"You gave me much more than that."

"And you have given me far more than I dared to hope." She breathed deeply of the cooling air, and her eyes rose to the evening star. Falowik knew that this was her favorite time of the day. It was why he had brought her away from the inn.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:55 AM   #363
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Revelations

How to begin, Uien wondered as she gazed skywards at the emerging stars. She remembered a similar night, but this time he did not shrink away. Still, even as he had she had seen something else glimmer within, a hint of the spirit and man that shone beneath the recent years of toil and weariness. Blankets she had given him, and watched over his sleep from her vantage in the hayloft through the rest of the night. He had been bewildered then, and truth be told she too had wondered at what had moved her to cast aside years of wariness and safe reserve to approach him. The star she gazed at gleamed, a shifting dance of silver and Uien returned her gaze to the man she had named Lauréatan. The answer was written in his face.

"I do not think I could have guessed at what lay before us on that night, beneath this tree," she murmured softly. The corners of his eyes crinkled as Falowik smiled.

"Nor I, Fair One."

Did he guess now at what lay on the tip of her tongue? The words she would let free of her heart's hold? Uien gathered his hand in her own, cradling it's strength between her palms gently. A tremour ran through her.

"Are you cold," Falowik asked in concern. Uien smiled at his hand and shook her head. "I am not, yet," she replied mysteriously. The tremour was not one of chill, nor fear, though by no means could she foresee what would follow what she was about to say. She raised his hand to her lips and pressed a soft kiss to his knuckles. Uien raised her eyes to Falowik's and set the truth free, sending it out into the twilight.

"Not yet, but winter will come, Lauréatan and I will feel it's cold breath. The years will pass, season upon season, and I will mark their passing now. They shall not sped by in a blur, too fast for me to catch, bleeding one into another. I shall paint them, I think, now that I will be able to hold their passing in my life.

"My love, do you know of what I speak of?"

Falowik was very still, studying her intently in the velvet shadows of the evening. He slowly shook his head from side to side.

"There once was a time when years meant nothing to me. Either I willed them to pass me by, longing only for oblivion, or their passing made no difference to me. For what matter the passage of time to those who are immortal?

"My road, wherever it may lie, will take me not into eternity, either here or across the Sea. It lies with you, as does my heart and my joy. Such have I chosen, and joyfully."

Uien fell into silence, though the truth of her joy could not be quietened. It was writ upon her and leapt within her own starlit gaze. Falowik's brow furrowed a little.

"Do you mean to say," he started. Did he dare not finish his question, or wish never to ask it?

"A mortal life is mine now, Lauréatan. The years shall pass, and I with them." Uien's heart was racing. She could hear its gallop threading faintly through her. Falowik's eyes drifted to the bole of the tree they stood by, in deep thought. Uien released his hand and freed him to the paths of his mind. She watched the breeze ruffle his hair and wondered if she had troubled him. Perhaps he did not wish to pass the years with her and fretted now at the spectre of being fettered. Uien let the moments pass her by and clasped her hands before her. What would be, would be. She could not undo what had happened, and never would she regret her choice. She'd make it again in a heartbeat. That certainty steeled through her.

"Glad tidings, Lauréatan, or so I believe them to be... Yet if they are not so for you, I ask one thing of you only. To say as much, to speak freely. Please Falowik, my love."

His eyes drifted back to her own, which were large in the darkness. The expression upon her face was of a vulnerable shyness, yet she did not appear ready to pull away. Uien remained where she was, open to Twilight and whatever words the man she loved so much that she had chosen mortality might have to say.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 06-20-2004, 07:09 AM   #364
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Twylight

Twylight was now in a state of depression. She did not feel well being horrible to anyone, and Marcho was no exception. She set her head in her hands, her half-empty cup of tea cold and forgotten in front of her. The man next to her had neither moved nor spoke.

The door to the Inn opened slowly, and a figure entered, but she was too busy wallowing in her own feelings to notice. The figure circled the Inn slowly, looking around at everyone sitting or standing, talking or silent. He came to a stop behind Twylight, and stood there for a moment, studying her carefully. With work-hardened fingers, he reached out to tap her shoulder...

Twylight felt the fingers on her shoulder, and she jumped so much that she fell off the stool she was sitting on. A deep booming laugh sounded behind her. She stood up hurridly and whirled on the man standing behind her, laughing. Her face changed rapidly from anger to delight. To the surprise of everyone watching, she reached out her arms and pulled him into a deep hug.

Long ago, this unlikely pair had grown up together. They had found that Twylight's muteness was no stumbling block whatsoever, and they had invented a language with their hands, just between the two of them. Twylight now made rapid motions with her long, slender fingers, which the strange followed with large hazel eyes. What are you doing here so early? You weren't supposed to be here until tomorrow! she signed. "Well," he boomed, "I figured I'd been away from you for far too long! It's nice to see you again, Twylight!"

She pulled him into another strong hug. It's nice to see you again too, Marin. she thought with a smile.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #365
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Posco smiled shyly when Lily consented, and then became worried again. It seemed to him he had just said another thing you only said if a hobbit lass was your sweetheart. Isn't that was lads did? Ask the lasses to go riding with them? But Lily didn't seem at all offended; in fact she seemed pleased. He blushed a little and, attempting to ignore his seemingly awkward request, said, "Perhaps we might go tomorrow morning?"

"That would be very good," she said, smiling at him. Another silence fell between them, and Posco began to fidget in his chair. His nostrils picked up the hearty smell of supper coming from the kitchen, but it had not yet been served, so there would be no distraction from there. He would have to think of something to say once again.

"Please, Miss... er, Lily," he said, stumbling over the fact that he need not give her the courteous title, "would you tell me a little more about yourself? Do you have any family?" He felt he should know this. If she did have a husband he should more careful that he didn't tell her how lovely she was, even if he did think so. She might be offended, and he would not offend her. "I mean, as in a husband and children?"
Old 06-20-2004, 12:04 PM   #366
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Falowik

"A mortal life is mine now, Lauréatan. The years shall pass, and I with them." Uien's eyes captured the light of the stars; her spirit mingled with them and lent a living brightness to her eyes that took Falowik's breath away. But her words did so even more, and the effect of both together were more than he could hold inside, and he had to look away, to a bole of the tree they stood by. Uien released his hand. The moment she let him go, he felt cast adrift and unanchored, the world spinning at angles to how he stood.

She was choosing his life over her own!

She would not stop being an Elven woman, but she would never go across the sea. And if Eodwine had the rights of it, she had set aside the society of Elves for that of his, which was until now meager company indeed!

"Glad tidings, Lauréatan, or so I believe them to be... Yet if they are not so for you, I ask one thing of you only. To say as much, to speak freely. Please Falowik, my love."

How could he not speak his heart to her? How could he not look to her again? She was his lodestone - he wondered what the elvish was for such a word - her eyes were large and luminous. She seemed like a frightened bird, feeling the need to take wing to safety among the trees, but she remained, as if ready to die with his arrow in her breast.

He took her hands in his.

"It is as if you are the fairest bird in the forest, and all that is within you tells you to fly from the hunter, but you stay, ready to be shot. And I, who am the hunter, have two arrows. One is to say you nay, leaving you to wither and fade in sorrow; the other is to wound you with myself, with the death that is part of being a man, walking with you in joy until I die, leaving you someday, to wither and fade with grief."

Uien shook her head and opened her mouth to speak, but Falowik put his hand to her soft lips, and she held her peace, her eyes watching his.

"I choose to give you all the joy I can, and so I must wound you with the arrow of my love."
Old 06-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #367
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril Niara

She was ready to die. He was there. Not quite smiling, but she knew he was pleased. Was it pride that kept her from flying into his arms? Perhaps. He caught her eyes with his own as he approached. The closer he came, the deeper she sank.... Deep in the liquid warmth of his clear gaze. Here she was safe, as long as he was here, as long as he could breathe; his presence was her immortality.

Slowly, softly, everything became clear. Shame, loneliness, cold. How had she fallen asleep? How long? Her eyes flitted open upon the bustling inn. The lovely elven lady with whom she had been speaking was gone. She was alone again.

Niara shivered. At least she had no embarrassing faults that showed when she slumbered. She had merely leaned into the soft back of her seat and closed her eyes. Her hair had fallen all about her in chocolate ringlets, tinged with red that showed in the glow of the firelight. What a perfect mess she must look.
She gathered her hair up into the knot again, shivering as the air touched the back of her seemly neck, and lifted her hood. Shrouding herself with the shadows in which she had so long survived.

She wondered why he haunted her so. Feeling his love in every gesture, yet knowing not whether she could return it, nor whether she were worthy of such noble affections as his own.

She wondered what was for supper, but the sun was leaving, and the stars were calling... Just as they always had. She rose, heading toward the door, needing a walk, and fearing that she might be noticed before she reached it....
Old 06-20-2004, 01:27 PM   #368
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
"Would you tell me a little more about yourself? Do you have any family? I mean, as in a husband and children?" asked Posco. The question caught Lily slightly off guard. Of all the things she might have expected to be asked, this was not one of them.

"Oh, no," said Lily. "I do not expect to be married for another several years yet. As for the rest of my family, I am the third child of six. I have lived in Bree for all of my life, where my father owned a shop. But when I was seven years old, there was a terrible thunderstorm. My father's shop was struck by lightning, and it burned to the ground." Here Lily faltered slightly, for she still could not abide rainstorms, but she kept going. "My parents, older brother and sister, and two younger sisters went to live in Archet, where my mother's family lived to start over. My brother, a year and a half younger than me, and I moved in with my Aunt Violet and Uncle Longo on the other side of Bree. You see, my older siblings were needed to help out my parents, and the youngest were two young. My aunt and uncle have been very much like second parents to me, and though I still see my real parents sometimes, I know my aunt and uncle much better. It was my uncle who taught me how to read and ride ponies. I got my pony from him four years ago." finished Lily.

"Now enough about me," she said. "What is your family like?"
Old 06-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #369
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

"My family?" Posco held back a deep, frustrated sigh. He wanted to tell Lily all about his family but he did not know how without speaking very much. He hesitated, glanced towards her, saw the encouraging look in her lovely eyes, and felt confidence seeping into him. Firmly setting his tea aside, determined to no longer hide himself behind it, he began to speak.

"My family, the Bramdybucks, have lived in Buckland for as long as can be recalled," he said, and realized with the very first sentence that he had made a dreadful mistake. Lily might think that all the Brandybucks lived in Buckland, not just his immediate family. "I do mean my family," he said. She smiled, and he continued more feebly as he realized that most of the Brandybucks did in fact live in Buckland. "My father is called Posco, for I was named after him, and my mother was called Primrose Brownlock before she was married. There aren't very many of us in my family... there's Blanco, who you have not met but have seen, and myself. We are twins. Our elder sister is called Peony, but she didn't come. My father grows crops and raises cattle, and I suppose I'll do the same as him."

He said this without bitterness; he did not mind that he would follow in his father's footsteps, but it was rather a joy to him. He found no greater peace and contentment than what he found watering plants and watching them grow, and milking the cows and laughing in delight over their clumsy, adorable calfs, and even feeding the few chickens they owned. He glanced at Lily and a passing thought came to his mind, and he wondered if she would enjoy living on a farm.

"But my sister," he went on, "didn't want to stay home and help mother, because mother didn't really want help. She didn't mind the help, of course, but she had always preferred to do things without. So Peony went to the nearest tavern to work as a maid there." He hesitated. "She's having trouble with the family now," he said, "and that's why she isn't here." He wondered if he should continue and elaborate upon the trouble his sister was in, and had just concluded not to do so when he saw Lily's eyes again, full of encouragement and kindness. He firmly made up his mind to tell her all about the family trouble. "My sister, you see, has fallen deeply in love with a young hobbit lad who calls frequently at the tavern, and she wants to get married to him. I can't say if he's asked her or not, but if he hasn't yet he will any day. My father doesn't like the lad, though... Hal Brandybuck is his name. As I was saying, my father doesn't like Hal and thinks he's a drunkard, though I assure you Miss Lily, he is not. My father doesn't care much for... er... poetry as you might say, and Hal is so often speaking of sunsets and sunrises and Elves that my father concludes it's because he is constantly drunk.

"Of course my sister is heartbroken about it because she wants more than anything in the world to marry this Hal Brandybuck, but she doesn't want to go against our father's wishes. Mother doesn't approve merely because father doesn't approve, and both of us feel dreadfully for her. Originally my mother wanted to send all three of us to visit my aunt but decided to keep Peony a little longer so my father could speak to her without us interfering. Peony will be coming tomorrow, if all goes according to plans. You see, we have always interfered dreadfully with the conversations between Peony and my father when it strays to the subject of Hal Brandybuck, because if we let them alone my father would surely grow quite angry and then Peony would be made stubborn and she might go off and do something... er... rash. In short, she might go right on and marry Hal without a second thought."

He paused, stared at Lily in amazement, and dropped his eyes. It was frightening to think he had said so much, and he could hardly believe it. If truth must be told, Posco had ever been one to talk to himself when he was quite sure he was alone, and he spoke at great length without considering. At this moment he had completely forgotten Lily was there, so absorbed was he in the troubles of Peony, and he had believed he was quite alone and so speaking to himself. When he saw this was not so he felt as though he should be embarrassed and humiliated, but he realized with a pleasant thrill that he did not mind. In fact, he rather liked speaking so to Lily.

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 06-27-2004 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Posco is, in fact, a Brandybuck, and not a Cotton
Old 06-20-2004, 10:14 PM   #370
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Uien's eyes widened at the last, Falowik's finger warm over her lips. She peered at him from behind it, face alight with a happiness that was incandescent and rivaled the Evening Star in its glory. Falowik's finger shifted, tracing over the line of her jaw to come to the base of her ear.

"No bird has known such joy," she whispered in return. Uien placed a hand over his heart, feeling the steady beat beneath her palm. It matched her own. "No arrows, no wound is this, no life stolen.... nay, a grace and blessing you are Falowik Lauréatan. Such did I dare believe when first we met and so do I know now that we have returned to this place."

"Melindo..." she said softly, speaking the word at last as it had been spoken in her thoughts: Lover. Falowik repeated it after her and Uien smiled to hear it in his voice at last. Surely she could contain no more than what filled her now. The years would come and go, ice would melt and the summer grasses rise only to yellow and fall into ice once more. Leaves would turn golden, then red and then fall to leave branches bear only to spring small and tender green, again and again. But this would not change.

Uien had not thought to have glad tidings to tell of upon her return to her childhood home. But she looked now into the face of her future and her heart and knew that she had much indeed to speak of. No matter where her feet wandered, her heart and her home would remain with the man who had filled her life with his presence. She needed no other shelter bar that of his arms and to that she now went, tucking herself close. The wide world was before them both, but for now they had the stars. Uien's thoughts ran away into all the possiblilities the years would have for them until at last they ran away entirely, leaving her lost in Falowik and happily so. She did not have the gift of foresight, and if she had would she have still brought Falowik blankets on a chilly night?

Yes, for with him lay a future free of the dread shadow of her past, a chance to live as once she had before, full and free in life. But, more than that, quite simply Uien could sooner imagine life beneath the great weight of the ocean than she could life without Falowik. He had become part of each breath she took, each step she walked, each smile that found her her. For so long Uien had felt as though part of what was her own had vanished, lost in a dark den forgotten beneath a cruelly iced mountain.

"What is melindo," Falowik asked, his voice rumbling deep through her. Uien pulled back and tipped her face up to look into his.

"It is what you are, Lauréatan.... lover and beloved. In that shall we both find eternity." Upon those words, the two drew together beneath the early stars and met in a kiss.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 06-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #371
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan took a moment, he inhaled the air of the Green Dragon, it did not seem to smell as nice as it had since he learnt the truth of Aman’s thoughts. He looked around the inn, nothing seemed to be as it was when he first arrived. Everyone was laughing with one another, but instead of the mood making Bredan jolly, it made him feel an outsider among the people, but he would not leave, not yet.

Bredan decided to follow Aman, only to ask to borrow a horse and maybe some provisions, for he still intended to go after the wildmen that had attacked him. He went through the bar with big strides, trying to look as if nothing was wrong to anyone that may have took an interest into Bredan’s affairs. Bredan saw Aman near the stables.

“Lady Aman, may I have one more word.” Bredan called to Aman, and Bredan suddenly then felt the chill of the wind.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #372
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

It turned out Peony did not have to go wake Deva after all. When supper finally rolled around he had dragged himself up from his nap and came down to join her. The two found a table in the corner and Peony sat across from her dwarven companion.

"Get enough sleep today?" Peony asked as one of the hobbit lasses brought her some soup.

Deva grumbled and took a sip of his ale. "Leave me be."

Peony rolled her eyes and looked around the inn. She was hoping that a less grumpy companion would present himself so she would not be stuck talking to Deva all night.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #373
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman turned the corner around the stables...before hastily backtracking out of sight. Bathed in the soft twilight as the sun set over the hills, Falowik and Uien held each other close, arms entwined around one another. Aman smiled to herself, wondering at their beautiful perfection: from the way Uien and her Lauréatan had found each other right from their first few days together, when a few words of kindness had warmed so tender spirit inside the body of an outlaw, Aman knew that the elf would not pass away with her people to the Havens. And yet still, in this frozen, silent moment of perfection, a pair of lovers paused on the cusp of the night, Aman was sure there could have been no couple more beautiful in all of the history of the Fair Folk.

Turning back around the corner, Aman resolved to take advantage of the respite she had stolen for herself before the supper requests would begin to flow thick and fast, and so turned towards the great stable doors, resolving to visit Rochfalmar. Her beautiful stallion, a present, or maybe just a loan, from her good friend and the previous Innkeeper, an elf by the name of Piosenniel, had remained at the Inn since Pio had left with her children at husband to Minas Tirith. For Aman, previously a Rohirrim horsemistress, having a horse at the Inn was like regaining a lost part of herself, and despite her busy daily life running probably the most unusual Inn in Middle Earth (or so the grumbly older hobbits would think, anyway), Aman made sure that every day, or at least every two days, she would take some time to excercise the horse - and a strange sight she often must have made, skirt hitched up and sleeves rolled back, one of the Big Folk galloping across the countryside of the Shire! Smiling at the thought, the Innkeeper turned into the stables...before she was arrested by a voice.

“Lady Aman, may I have one more word.”

Aman froze. There was a slightly unplaceable note in Bredan's voice as he called after her, and she was suddenly very aware that there was no one else out, that he was a much larger man than she was a woman, and that he was likely to have been rather offended. Turning slowly, she forced all other thoughts away and smiled at Bredan, raising her eyebrows in polite askance and resisting the shiver that the chill night wind blew in. "Good evening again, Bredan. What is it that you wish to say?"
Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #374
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

"Well, I hope everything works out with your sister," said Lily. She fumbled about for what to say next. There had to be something that they could talk about. She realized that she was quite hungry, and the serving maids were starting to serve supper. It wasn't much, but it was something to save her from silence.

"Are you getting hungry?" asked Lily. "Because I am, I mean-" Lily felt very awkward. That wasn't quite how she had wanted to say it.

"I suppose so," said Posco. Lily waved the serving maid over; she was pretty sure it was the one called Buttercup. "Would you mind getting us our meals? Thanks," said Lily. Now she really had to think of something to say.

"How long do you think you will be in Bywater?" she asked finally. Just then the hobbit came around with their meals, and Lily happily began to eat.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:43 PM   #375
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Joyous Occassions-Return of a familiar face

SAVE for reworked post. Please check your PM's

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-21-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #376
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Posco stared at Lily in distraction. He realized now he did not know how long he was to be staying in Bywater before he went home. A few days previous he had been rather hoping it would be soon, but as he looked at Lily now he felt queerly that he decidely would not like to go. She was eating her supper now and waiting patiently for his answer. He fumbled with his thoughts and at last said in a stumbling voice, "I... I don't know. I don't think we'll be staying too much longer, but for at least three days. You would have to ask Blanco."

Her eyes travelled the Common Room and rested on Blanco with a look of inquiry. It was not difficult to tell that he was Posco's twin brother, though he was considerably tidier than Posco was. Posco set his supper to one side and got to his feet, murmuring that he would ask. Lily smiled at him though she said nothing.

Blanco appeared slightly annoyed that he had been interrupted in his listening of Falco Boffin and his friends, but did not refuse to answer the question. "Why, we'll be leaving very soon, Posco." He paused a moment and reflected, mentally counting how many days they had already spent at their aunt's house and then beamed as he came to the conclusion. "Peony is coming tomorrow, and so we'll be leaving the day after the day after tomorrow, I reckon. Two days, Posco."

Posco returned to Lily and sat down again, shyly beginning to eat his own meal. "We're going to leave in two days," he said, and when she nodded as a confirmation that she had heard, he ventured to ask, "When will you go back home, Lily?"

Bingo had been sitting in companiable silence with Tobias, caring watchfully for Iadarion, since Twylight had left, but glancing in her direction he saw that she had been joined by a man of the Big Folk. She had embraced him and seemed in deep delight at seeing him. Bingo stood, calling out her name, and when her head turned to him he beckoned her towards him, smiling the smile that disconcerted Marcho so. "Miss Twylight, I do beg you to introduce us to your newfound companion, and to invite him to dine with us this supper."
Old 06-22-2004, 05:17 AM   #377
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Lily watched Posco get up and go talk to his brother. She could see the resemblence between them easily enough, though Blanco was a good bit neater than his brother.

"Peony is coming tomorrow, and so we'll be leaving the day after the day after tomorrow, I reckon. Two days, Posco," Lily overheard Blanco say. Lily sighed. She had hoped it might be longer than that. Posco returned, and repeated the information. She nodded in acknowledgement. She was not smiling so broadly now for finding that he was leaving so soon, as were all the people she had met here. She supposed she wouldn't be staying for very long after everyone she knew left.

"When will you go back home, Lily?" asked Posco.

"Honestly, I don't have any real plans," said Lily. "I'll stay here for a few days, and when I have reason to leave I'll go on to the next place, which is, I suppose, wherever the road takes me. And when I'm done with the Shire, I'll go back to Bree. It could be a week from now, or a year from now."
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 AM   #378
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight & Marin

Twylight and Marin had hardly finished greeting each other when a call came from across the Inn. The speaker was Bingo, and he invited both of them over. He also asked Twylight to introduce her friend. She had left her piece of parchment over at the table with Lily and Posco, and the last thing she wanted to go was go over there and interrupt their conversation. Turning to Marin, she signed, These people are friends that I met earlier. I dare say they can introduce themselves, but they know I'm mute. Would you mind being my voice? "No problem!" Marin answered.

Both of them walked over and stood before the occupants of the table. "Hello, I'm Marin," Marin said without any prompting or hesitation. He then swept everyone a very deep bow. That was one of the things Twylight liked about him: he was always so comfortable around people.

"Bingo Cotton, at your service." He stood up and bowed. "Please, do sit down and join us for dinner!" Marin pulled out a chair for Twylight before sitting down himself. He was always so polite around company. Marin never acted like this when it was just them, and frankly, Twyligh preferred it that way. Marin and Bingo had already started on a conversation about something or other; she thought she caught the word "gardening," but she didn't know, and honestly, she didn't care. She was full to the brim with wonderfully happy feelings at seeing Marin again. How long had it been? At least twelve years! And that was far too much time, especially among friends. Her crystal blue eyes travelled over every inch of his face. The dark gently curly hair shorn about his ears; the long face with its large nose and full expressive lips, it's sparkling, shifting hazel eyes, unnaturally large.

He caught her looking at him from the corner of his eye, and winked slightly. You have very nice friends, Twylight, he signed under the table. I especially like this Marcho character. He seems quite nice! Twylight realized too late that Marcho had joined the table while she was wallowing in the happy memories she and Marin had once created. Twylight thought that Marin would have had sense enough to know Marcho for who he was. He was truely horrid to Posco. Though, I suppose Marin couldn't have known that. But she should have told him! Marin had turned back to his new "friend," Marcho. Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do about it now. Marin was very stubborn, and unless he got rock solid proof against him, he would remain friends with Marhco until his dying day.

All Twylight could do was stare helplessly while Marcho continued to chat with her good friend Marin.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #379
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Mira

Mira had been wandering around outside for hours. She had been through the rain and now the weather was rather pleasant. She had gotten quite far from the Inn, and now she was glad to see it up ahead, with lights twinkling in some windows. Trudging wearily up to the door, she pushed it open and was embraced by the warmth and merriness of the Dragon.

She stepped up to the bar and smiled at the barkeep. "May I have a cup of tea, please?" she asked, sliding a coin over the bar. The barkeep smiled and nodded, and in a few moments Mira was sipping a steaming cup. Her eyes roved over the room and saw Lily enjoying the company of a few other hobbits.

She wondered for a minute whether she should go and speak to them, then decided that it would do no harm. She stepped away from the bar, folding her hands around the hot teacup, and made her way over to where Lily and the other hobbits were.

"Hello again, Lily," she said softly, not wanting to interrupt anyone rudely.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #380
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

1420!

"Hello again, Lily," said a voice from behind her. Lily jumped and turned to see Mira there. Lily wasn't sure whether she was pleased or disappointed to see Mira there. She had been having such a good time with Posco, and it had given her a lot of pleasure seeing him come out of his shell, but she had always enjoyed being surrounded by friends.

"Oh, hello!" said Lily, feeling rather scattered. "I didn't see you come in. You can sit down if you like. This is my new friend Posco. Posco, this is Mira." Her smile faded away when she realized that Posco had retreated into himself again with the arrival of Mira. Mira did not seem to notice, and took a seat next to Lily.

"So what have you been talking about?" asked Mira.

"Nothing in particular," said Lily waving her hand vaguely. "We were just sitting down to eat supper" - here she indicated their plates on the table - "I don't know if you're hungry or not, but you can feel free to get some food, if you'd like." Lily tried to think of some way to include Posco. Mira must think her quite strange to be eating and talking with someone who didn't seem to talk! If only Posco would let other people know what a wonderful hobbit he is, she thought. She sighed, and being unable to think of anything to say, continued to eat.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #381
Audreidi
Pile O'Bones

Location: I'm not sure anymore, on account of my being dead and all.
Audreidi has just left Hobbiton.
The corner of the inn was dark, the way she liked it. Never was it occupied when she came in, never was it seized when she left. It was her haunt, and for some reason, no one ever noticed.

Diminuitive even for a hobbit and unusually thin and wiry, Clyryan Moresby ran fingers through her thick brown hair, tapping the edge of the wooden table with her other hand, wide brown eyes keeping a steady watch on the goings-on of the Green Dragon. The hidden sentinel.

She smiled wryly, and sang under her breath: "Green Dragon, Green Dragon, thine air is half-thick, with the breath of the lovers and burning candle wick." Her eyes rolled dramatically and she took up the half-emptied mug in her small hands, draining another quarter. The flavor of the ale lent a droll expression to her face whilst her eyes still burned bright and sharp.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #382
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Marcho felt the beginnings of a smile come to his face when he realized how amiably Marin was treating him, and he felt rather annoyed with himself for it. His annoyance increased when he realized that he was being oddly civil and had said no biting words yet. Bingo had been the only one he had ever been polite and kind to, and this man was a complete stranger yet...

A feeling of delight stole over him, a feeling of satisfaction. He suddenly did not care whether it was odd or not that he was friendly to Marin. He was being friendly to Marin and he was enjoying it. There was something about the friendly glint in those large hazel eyes that compelled Marcho to return the friendliness. Not one uncivil word passed his lips as he earnestly discussed the art of growing tomatoes with Marin.

At last the subject was well-worn and Marcho sat back, falling into silence for a moment to study Marin more thoroughly. There was no disgust in the man's eyes, no secret loathing or contempt... the only other one who had never cherished such looks in his eyes was Bingo. The way this man looked at him and smiled at him made him feel like he was a friend, not some hideous monster to avoid.

"Tell me a little more about yourself, Marin," said Marcho. "I know you're a friend of Twylight here." Marcho paused and struggled against the frown that threatened to come to his face when he spoke the name. Twylight had been disgusted with him as everyone else had. Twylight loathed him and hated him. Twylight thought he was terrible. Again the pained feeling stole over him, but he brushed it aside. "Where do you come from, and what brings you here?"

Posco stared at Mira out of wide, half-frightened and wholly shy eyes. He tried not to look at Lily... if he did he would be completely gone. To look at her pretty little face at a moment like this would be to let shyness completely conquer him. He murmured a few words of greeting to Mira and snatched up the teacup that he had set aside so he could once again devote himself to the study of its emptiness.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #383
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

A gray, tired horse trotted along the road. Its rider, an equally tired young woman, looked up at the Evening Star near the horizon. The soft light of the moon and stars, that she had traveled by for many nights, was for the moment, overshadowed by light from a congenial-looking inn.

Myrddin smiled. An inn! It had been so long since she had come accross one in her travels. Her first thought was of a bath, and then of a bed, and then of a meal that was not hunted and cooked by her alone.

She reached up and pulled her green hood from her head, revealing bound brown hair and a slightly ruddy face.

Her horse, tired though it was, picked itself up from a walk to a trot, anticipating a quiet night for himself as well.

Myrddin dismounted when she reached the stables, offering the young hobbit a large sum of money for the care of her steed.

"And now to care for myself," she said, as the now-jubilant hobbit walked away, leading her horse.

Inside the inn, Myrddin came upon another woman, who was bustling about in a manner that Myrddin found in most innkeepers. She bowed, and asked for a room.

"Of course," said the innkeeper,"But I am a bit surprised that you knew who I was!"

Myrddin smiled. "I have a knack. Thank you for speaking, because I now also know that you come from Rohan, as I do!"

The innkeeper smiled again, and obliged her by sending a hobbit-lass to show Myrddin a free room, and, much to her delight, a washtub that the hobbit-lass said she would fill as soon as she could.

In the meantime, Myrddin took herself back into the common room, where they seemed to be serving up dishes of hot food that set her mouth watering.

Seated at a small table in a corner, Myrddin set herself to eating, and followed it by the best brew she had had in a while.

It was a happy Myrddin that settled comfortably into her seat, to sip from her second flask and watch the passers-by.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #384
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

Bredan for the first time ever saw behind Aman’s guard, she normally had a look that he could not see past to see her true feelings. All was silent, Bredan could not find a word to say, transfixed by the beauty of the lady. A cold wind blew straight into his face, as if someone had sent it to him to get him out of his trance.

“Lady Aman, I was attacked on my journey here by some wildmen, they took all of my possessions and money, save my sword and this ring on this chain” Bredan said, with as little emotion in his voice as possible.

“I have decided to track them down and retake whatever they have, to steal all they have stolen. I will then come back and pay you for your hospitality. However my task would be easier and quicker if I had the use of a horse, as my dear steed was killed in the attack. If you lend me one I will leave you my chain as assurance I will come back and pay you.” He said this to Aman sensing the awkwardness between them. He added on.

“I will then decide whether to stay in the Shire or leave. I ask you one more favour, talk with me upon my return. Now I know your feelings I hope that we can continue a friendly relationship, with us both understanding each other.”

Bredan did feel upset from their last conversation, but he just wanted to get away to clear his head, but he was determined not to run away again.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:53 AM   #385
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

Mira noticed a very odd looking man coming towards her and Lily.

"Oh hey now! We have a new friend! Hello, they call me Iadarion! And you?"

Mira didn't know whether to laugh and be merry with this man, or fear him - it seemed Lily chose the way of fearing him. Mira glanced nervously over at her - but her spirits eased a little when the cool glint in the man's eye reminded her of the river, and the soft waters that meant no harm, only to sweep you away if you so decided to kick up your feet.

"Well...hello Iadarion, I am Mira." she said. He couldn't decide whether it was sincere or not, but it did not matter to him - it was another guest to join in the merriment! "We'll have another round of ales!" Iadarion yelled.

Twylight overheard this and sighed: here we go again , she thought to herself.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #386
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight and Marin

Marin leaned back in his chair and stretched his long legs out in front of him. Marcho was the first to break the silence. "Tell me a little more about yourself, Marin," said Marcho. "I know you're a friend of Twylight here." Marin was surprised to see a look resembling contempt at the sound of his good friend Twylight's name. He look curiously at Twylight, but she motioned, Not now. He respected her wishes and turned back to Marcho. His face was impassive again, and he continued what he was saying. "Where do you come from, and what brings you here?"

"Well, I was originally from Rohan. Born and raised. That is where I met Twylight. We grew up together, right next to each other. We were fast friends. Been inseperable since." He draped an arm playfully around her shoulders. She smiled. "Soon after that, I argued with my parents and stole a horse. I made my way to Gondor, but I found the city little to my liking. Too much stone. I could not go back to Rohan, so I made way to Bree. I have lived there for years, and just recently moved to the Shire. Twylight was just coming to visit me, but I met her halfway to my home, here at the Green Dragon! And that is my -- our -- story."
Old 06-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #387
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronume had noticed that the inn had recently welcomed several visitors, all of whom had sat either with friends or with a meal and or drink, both of which looked to be very satisfying. Soronume had finished his own drink and was once again nursing an empty cup whilst watching the inn's activity.

He began to stand, stretching his hands out in front of him over the bar as he did, narrowly missing his cup which he quickly took up in a grip and politely waited to ask the bar tender for another. Once his cup was full, Soroume turned and dusted down his tunic with one hand, which seemed to be a little more soiled than he had thought. What a sight he must of been to the inn keeper and the people of the Green Dragon. No wonder he had been left alone for such a long time.

Looking back up into the inn he caught the eye of a maiden sat at a meal on the far side of the room. Soronume thought her to be of the human race, he also thought he had heard her say she was from Rohan a while ago but he couldn't be sure. She quickly looked away from his gaze, perhaps it was his appearance, or just awkwardness. Either way, Soronume wasn't sure whether to approach her or not so turned away his stare and sat back on his stool still looking out into the room.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #388
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony looked around the inn, picking at her meal. Deva was inhaling his like he had not eaten in ages. Peony watched the various activities around the inn. She caught sight of a man who was looking at a woman sitting in the corner. He was slightly dishelved in appearance and seemed really interested in everything that was going on around him.

Peony saw a woman come in a sit by herself in the corner and she too watched the people moving about the inn. "What are you looking at?" Deva said as some ale trinkled down his beard.

"No one really. Just looking around the inn."

Deva leaned back in his chair. "A wonderful meal, left me quite refrshed." Deva took another large gulp of his ale and Peony continued looking around the inn. There was going to be little conversation between the dwarf and the woman the rest of the evening.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #389
Audreidi
Pile O'Bones

Location: I'm not sure anymore, on account of my being dead and all.
Audreidi has just left Hobbiton.
So many people entering. Clyryan tapped out an erratic-sounding rhythm on the rim of her glass before standing up on her seat and meticulously rolling up her long sleeves. She bent down to take the second last sip of her ale before straightening up and singing loud and clear to no one in particular: "Green Dragon, Green Dragon, a toast I propose, to all ye fair maidens with a gentleman's nose."

Raucous laughter sounded out from a few corners as Clyryan drained her glass along with a few before sitting back down and leaning against the wall, reveling in her paradoxical toast and the humor that followed. Tomorrow she might think up another bit of prose, as per her custom. They allowed her this small eccentric pleasure, as it usually provided for a bit of fun.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #390
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
A silvery horse trotted down the road, untiring, and bearing an elf. He was young-looking, just like all of his kin. His eyes were the classic silver, his hair classic ice blonde. He wasn't an extraordinary elf, just the sort you might expect to meet in one of the forests.

He rode over the crest of the hill and smiled as he saw the light from the windows of the Green Dragon spilling onto the ground, banishing the shadows from the pools of gold they created. He rode forwards, stopped, dismounted, and stared at the Inn for a few moments. It looked different somehow, to the last time he saw it. And there was something familiar about the carved dragon by the name on the front. He couldn't quite place it.

A familiar voice spilt from the shadows. He spun around, his grey elven eyes searching the dark.

"Cormamin lindua ele lle." The familiar, female, melodic voice called in greeting. There was a pause. "Brother." The elf's face cracked in a grin.

"So you are here!" Elkamia stepped out of the shadow of the nearby tree, and they embraced in a hug.

"Rouwenlar, do you come of your own will or sent?" She asked, pulling away from her younger brother's arms.

"A bit of both. Thranduril wanted to know where you were, and I voulenteered. It's a change from scouting."

"You're still on scouting duty? I thought they'dve switched you off that by now."

"Something like that. What took you so long? You said you've be back in six months, and it's gone nine now."

"The Inn burnt down the night I stayed here on my way back. I had to stay and fix it, of course. You might recognise the dragon." She nodded towards the carving. "Like in my room back home." Her eyes wandered back to years ago, to her home forest.

"Have you been back? Are you planning to?"

"Not until father sees that I don't want to rule." The two of them stabled Rouwenlar's horse in the stables, then headed towards the common room.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #391
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman nodded, smiling at Bredan. "Thank you, master Bredan. But please, a note - sometimes, of course, haste is the better course. But a swift running river can often miss the gems lying at the bottom." She smiled slightly, holding his gaze, then continued in reply to his request. "I am afraid we do not keep any spare horses here - the hobbits are not great ones for riding, in general, and besides, few of their horses would fit you, I think! Let's see...the nearest place you would be able to borrow a horse would be the stables of Brandybuck Hall, from Master Meriadoc Brandybuck."

Bredan's dubious look told Aman of his doubt about being able to simply appear on the doorstep of an evidently rich hobbit and ask to borrow a horse. Aman laughed at his expression. "Here, I shall write you a letter of recommendation - but Bredan, I must warn you now," she added, her face becoming more serious. "Whatsoever you borrow from Master Brandybuck, you must return, as you took it. He is a good friend of mine and a better...individual should scarce be found in Middle Earth."

Bredan nodded solemnly and Aman allowed herself a small smile. "I suggest you stay another night at the Inn and leave in the morning - by foot it is a fair walk to Brandybuck Hall and you will not make it at a reasonable time - although in these times, it is a fairly safe road to pass along. In the morning, we can settle payment and I shall give you the letter to Master Meriadoc."

Bredan nodded, then gave a small bow. "Thank you, Lady Aman." Bidding her good evening, he melted into the night.

As he left, the sound of a voice caused Aman to turn and she saw there the young hobbit lad who had taken to hanging around the stables. He was surprisingly tall for a hobbit, although he was still young, maybe 18 or 19, Aman would guess. At first the Innkeeper had eyed him with suspicion, for few hung around the stables so often without some motive, and most hobbits were not lovers of horses, save a few examples, like the good Master Meriadoc and Peregrin Took, Thain of the Shire. But it turned out that the case of the two of the Nine also applied to Merimac - oddly for a hobbit, he had a positive passion for the animals. Bearing in mind the boy evidently had little else to do with him time other than loiter unsurely around the stables, the Innkeeper had tenatively taken him on a few days previously...and was being rewarded with her very own prodigy. In the past few days, Merimac was beginning, slowly, to fill the groove of stablehand that Derufin had left open but which hadn't been filled, although, of course, if The Green Dragon's stable master reappeared, he would always have a job.

"Evenin', Miz Aman." The tenor voice of the young hobbit was soft and rich, always kind but usually with undertones of mirth running through it. He was always courteous to Aman as well - some sort of admiration for the Rohirrim woman seemed to have sprung up due to her affinity with horses.

"Merimac," she smiled, her smile widening. "I wonder if-"

The sound of hooves, suddenly loud, caused Aman to turn mid-sentence, and she saw a hooded figure on horseback approaching through the settling mist that preceded this night. The newcomer pushed back her hood to reveal a weary but satisfied face, careworn but nonetheless young face. The woman seemed maybe a few years older than Aman herself.

"Good evening, madam," she called. The rider smiled and dismounted as she reached the stables, a hand disappearing into her cloak and rifling around for a moment before a small pouch was produced. The woman took from this four or five gold coins and held them out to Merimac. "Can I ask you to take care of my horse?"

Merimac nodded maturely, as if this was an exchange he had been part of all of his life rather than a sparse few days, but Aman saw the excitement and surprise in his eyes. She, too, was more than a little shocked - certainly the amount of money offered was a little excessive. A very valuable steed, it seems...

The woman nodded cordially to Aman the started towards the Inn. Aman followed, slipping inside the door and holding it open for her before attending to a drinks order that was sprung upon her immediately. Bustling towards the bar, she felt a hand touch her arm lightly and turned to see the woman, who actually bowed to her. Aman's surprise and curiosity grew - evidently the woman was from nowhere near these parts - and she asked if she could help.

The rider revealed her name as being Myrrdin, and asked for a room, after a brief exchange, Aman assigned the woman into Ruby's care, to take her up to a room before she keeled over in exhaustion. "And if you wish for a meal, supper is being served...well, now, actually. If you wish to sleep, I can arrange for something to be taken up to you later on."

The woman simply smiled wearily, her tiredness very obvious, and Aman inclined her head before turning to the room in general.

"Ladies and gentlemen, supper is being served now!"

To the sounds of cheers from the hobbits and the sight of several others perking up visibly, Aman nodded over to Buttercup, and the pair scurried away to the kitchen to begin the task of serving the food.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #392
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Strangely enough Posco felt slightly comforted when Iadarion approached their table. Perhaps it was because he had already made the faint acquaintance of the strange man, or perhaps it was because Iadarion was so frightening he was almost not so. It did not matter, for Posco did feel comforted and he could not deny it. A small smile came to his face, and a few words to speak to Mira came to his head, though he dared not speak them, or at least not to her. He did not know who she was at all. He wanted to look to Lily for encouragement but he knew her eyes were on him and he could not meet those eyes... not now.

Marcho raised an eyebrow slightly as Marin finished his story. Surely this amiable man could not be the childhood friend of Twylight, who loathed him (that is, Marcho)? It was too absurd to be true, but apparently it was true. He realized it was his own fault that Twylight hated him; he had been terribly impolite to all members of their company, but still he regretted it. He regretted it more because it had been his fault. Pride kept him from flashing a truly friendly smile in Twylight's direction to show he was not the monster she thought, and so he merely smiled at Marin and continued to scowl at everyone else. "What is it like in Rohan?" he questioned Marin. "Are they all Big Folk there? No Hobbits?"

"Not one that I've seen, except in the days of the War," replied Marin. Marcho immediately felt suspicious of the land of Rohan. If it had no Hobbits it must be a truly terrible place. But of course he had known of the lack already; he merely couldn't believe anyone could live in a place without Hobbits without being sooner or later wholly abolished by the lack of them.

Supper was being served then, and Blanco had turned away from the table of Falco Boffin to sit once again with his friends and twin brother. The way Ruby had made such eyes at Falco had thoroughly aggravated him; it reminded him of a sweet lass by the name of Marigold Hilldweller who lived just down the road from him and he felt a sudden desire to go back to Buckland and see her again. And he had to wait two more days... at least he remembered her fair golden-brown hair and eyes near the same color, her rosy cheeks, her red, full lips, and her gentle little hands. But he wanted to see her again. How odd that just because Ruby was making eyes at Falco he should remember that little flower back home. He had taken a notion into his head awhile ago to marry her, and now he took one into his head to actually ask her as soon as he was home.

Posco was farther away from the company than he had been before, sitting with Iadarion and two others. Blanco came a little closer, angling himself a bit so he could see the faces of the strange two. How ridiculous it was that Posco avoided meeting their eyes so. There, he could see them now, and... Blanco stopped and suddenly felt himself reeling. The hobbit lass sitting across from Posco, the one he seemed so determined not to look at... Blanco stared it stupefied awe and then stumbled over to Bingo. "Bingo, Bingo," he said in an urgent whisper. "Who is that lass over there?" He gestured towards her.

Bingo followed his hand and then, with his smile, said promptly, "Her name is Lily, Blanco."

"Lily..." said Blanco, and he stared at her more. She was the most beautiful Hobbit girl he had ever seen. Why, why didn't Posco look at her? How could he keep from it? She was so beautiful. Marigold Hilldweller flitted out of his mind and heart like a passing dream and this lass, this Lily, filled him as he gazed at her. He suddenly realized he would give anything if she would just speak to him once, nay, even if she would only give him a brief glance. But she was not looking at him. She was looking at Posco. Why was she looking at Posco? Why didn't Posco look back?

Posco was looking at him and gesturing for him to come. He wanted assistance in dealing with all his companions for his shyness was overcoming it, but Blanco forgot to be annoyed at it. Posco was giving him the opportunity to come and sit there and perhaps even meet this Lily. He walked as though he were in a dream and stood before them. Now she was looking at him as Posco introduced him to the others in a burst of desperate boldness. Now she was smiling at him as he swept a low bow without taking his eyes off her, saying, "Miss Lily, I am more than honored to meet you."
Old 06-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #393
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It was all Lily could do to keep a nasty look off her face when Iadarion came over to the table. She was now confident that she did not like him, whether for a particular reason or no. She kept her eyes off him, and politely declined when he called for a round of ales. She didn't mind that other people drank beer, as long as they didn't get drunk, but she herself could not stand the taste.

She kept her eye on Posco. She was feeling slightly protective of him, now that he seemed to have completely retreated into himself with the arrival of the other people. He kept his eyes trained on his empty coffee cup. She wished he would look up at her, give her a small smile to let her know he was all right. That, and if she would admit it to herself, she was starting to like him. A lot. He was so different than every other hobbit she had ever met.

She was distracted when she noticed Posco was looking away at something. Or someone, rather. She followed his gaze to another hobbit, his brother. His name was... Blanco, yes that was it. He walked confidently over to the table, smiling at her. She was sure of it. Posco had made him sound like a nice enough hobbit, and she was curious to meet his brother. He was a good deal neater than Posco, but other than that their looks were about the same.

"Miss Lily, I am more than honored to meet you," he said, bowing low. She blushed slightly, and the corners of her mouth quirked upwards. How different from Posco he was!

"It is nice to meet you, Blanco," said Lily. "And please, just call me Lily. I am not accustomed to being called 'miss'." The words seemed very familiar in her mouth; it had not been that long ago that she had told Posco the same thing. She had never liked formalities much, because they seemed to get in the way of really getting to know someone. Blanco beamed, as if she had just awarded him something. He took a seat across the table. Lily guessed that it was mostly because Posco was on one side of her and Mira on the other, for he had only introduced himself to her and not to Mira or Iadarion.

Then she turned her attention back to Posco. He seemed somewhat comforted by his brother's presence, and she smiled. As far as Lily could tell, he would only say more than two words at a time if he was comfortable, and Lily wanted him to be comfortable so that she could get to know him better.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:21 PM   #394
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Why wasn't she loooking at him? There she was looking at Posco again, who seemed to devote himself wholeheartedly to the practice of avoiding her gaze. Why didn't she look at him? Blanco bit his lip. She had smiled at him so briefly and then she had immediately turned back to Posco. Annoyance surged up in him. At least Posco could show some courtesy, whether he was shy or not, and look back at her. Blanco nudged his twin brother furiously and murmured as much. Posco gazed helplessly at him, and then shifted his eyes to meet Lily's. Immediately he was drowned deep, deep inside them. Those two lovely eyes began to sparkle when he looked at her, and her lips turned up in a smile.

Blanco suddenly regretted that he had urged Posco to look back at Lily. Frankly he didn't like the way his brother was looking at her. He was looking at her with too much earnestness; he was looking into her eyes too hard, too long. And she seemed quite content to look back at him. Why didn't she look at him? Blanco smiled to himself and realized he didn't care. He would fly up on wings of joy if she looked at him again, but it was enough to just look at her.

Something was nagging him in the back of his mind. He recalled a time he had brought flowers to a brown-eyed, brown-haired girl who had blushed sweetly and taken them with downcast eyes. And then she had lifted her eyes and gazed into his with a charming, timid smile that had made his heart beat furiously. It had been Marigold Hilldweller, and he knew that she had loved him very much. Something was telling him he was a traitor, but he tossed it aside with scorn. It was a pity if Marigold loved him; he couldn't love her, not with this beautiful lass sitting in front of him. He wanted to admit it to himself yet at the same time he did not. He knew it was true. He was head over heels in love with Lily.

Posco pulled himself away from Lily's gaze and looked about at Mira and Iadarion, suddenly realizing that they might be feeling distant and apart. Nobody had spoken to them much. Blanco should be speaking to them but he was oddly quiet. Posco could not think what to say to Iadarion. Bingo was the only one who knew how to do that with ease and grace, so Posco instead turned to Mira and, in a voice barely audible, murmured, "Miss Mira, tell me... us... more about yourself." He instantly crimsoned and, hoping to make things better but instead causing himself more embarrassment, whirled on Lily and stammered out in a voice a little too loud, "Lily, have you finished your supper? Do you want anything more?"
Old 06-24-2004, 03:20 AM   #395
Daysleeper

Bassiste

The Inn door swung open as a tall, gawky youth with unkempt hair and large feet shuffled in. His muddy cloak swung awkwardly about his knees as he navigated the tables. He was surrounded by a timid air, his eyes nervously roving around the room, but deftly avoiding the eyes of the people at the tables. He made his way slowly to the bar and dropped down on one of the vacant stools.

Leaning over the old wood of the counter, he gently traced patterns with his index finger, his head bowed, chunks of dark hair falling over his face. Summoning up all his strength, he lifted his face up.

"Excuse me?" he said, in a scratchy whisper. His face reddened. "Excuse me?" A loud female voice announced "Supper is being served!" It seemed like the voice was right by his ear and he flinched. Must be the Innkeeper he thought, and he got up from his seat, pushed past a knot of people and went to approach her.

"Excuse me," he began again, in his quiet way. "I'd like to..uh, I would like a room for the night, um, please, miss..." The woman seemed completely pre-occupied with someone else, and so he screwed up his courage and tapped her on the shoulder. "Excuse me miss..."

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-24-2004 at 09:09 AM.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #396
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

Bredan walked away glad of how well the conversation between him and Aman had gone, but it did not stop his ponderings on what he would do after his ‘quest’, and now he had the added worry that the steed he would hopefully borrow from Master Meriadoc must come back perfect, and he did not want to start off on a bad foot with the legendary Hobbit. Bredan obviously already knew of the hobbit as he loved the story of the fellowship and felt that he had asked so many questions and listened so many times about the whole story that he knew the characters better then he knew himself. Bredan was ultimately excited that he would be meeting one of the nine that set out from Rivendell, and there may be a chance that Master Took will be there also. Maybe he could get employment from one of them. Bredan took a breath of air and steadied himself.

“Calm Down” he said to himself aloud.

Bredan started to walk up the path to the Inn when he decided that he would lay out for a minute and watch the Stars. Laying on the lush grass of the shire he stared straight up and saw the twinkling of the stars that seemed as if they were right in front of his face. Bredan did not feel alone as he was, the noise of the inn was just piercing the air that it left a sound in Bredan ear’s. And right there on the ground Bredan drifted off to sleep, already in his dream.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #397
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Lily had welcomed her gladly, it seemed, yet her eyes had said something else. Mira suddenly felt shy and rude for interrupting her conversation with Posco, and Posco seemingly felt the same, except for the rudeness. He sat quietly, examining his empty cup, glancing up every so often. Mira sat silently, toying with a lock of chestnut hair, until the arrival of a man startled them all.

He introduced himself as Iardarion and at first Mira was uncomfortable as she sensed Lily stiffen beside her. Then she grew more at ease, as the man did not present any immediate reason to dislike him, and introduced herself. He grinned and suddenly shouted for a round of ales. Mira noticed that the others at the table seemed annoyed with the man's presence, and she wondered why.

The man quietened down and now Mira felt rather detached from the others. She, a newcomer, had no idea what they had all been chatting about when she had appeared. Posco suddenly said, almost inaudibly, "Miss Mira, tell me... us... more about yourself." He turned a deep scarlet and whirled around, saying to Lily, "Lily, have you finished your supper? Do you want anything more?"

Mira felt sorry for Posco. He was obviously uncomfortable with her arrival and he seemed to be shrinking with embarassment. "Well, Posco, my whole name is Mirabell Baggins. I come from a hole in Hobbiton, and I came here for the grand re-opening party of the Inn. I am rather fond of the Dragon...it's quite a lovely place. But...would you like to tell me a little about yourself?" she asked. Her green eyes looked at Posco questioningly, hoping she hadn't embarassed him even more.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #398
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Blanco leaned over and whispered something to Posco. Then Posco looked up at Lily, much to her delight. Her brown eyes sparkled as she looked into his, almost losing herself in them. Then he dropped his gaze into his teacup again. He mumbled, ""Miss Mira, tell me... us... more about yourself." Then he spoke up a little, turning to her, "Lily, have you finished your supper? Do you want anything more?"

Lily almost did not hear the question, for she could still remember his dark brown eyes looking at her. She missed Mira's answer, but she didn't mind because she had probably already heard it. The part she did hear was, "But...would you like to tell me a little about yourself?" Lily wondered if he would answer or not. In the mean time, she felt it would be a good idea to answer his question.

"Yes, I have quite finished, and I am full. I don't need anything more," she said. She felt rather uncomfortable eating while the others at the table had no food, and pushed the now empty plate towards the middle of the table.

She noticed that Blanco was watching her. She shifted in her seat and gave him a small grin. She wondered why he was staring at her so, and wished he would say or do something, anything, it didn't matter much. She looked around the table, first to Iadarion, who was entirely too merry. She wondered if he was still drunk. Then to Mira, who was watching Posco and waiting for an answer. Finally her eyes rested on Posco and found herself wishing that he would look up at her again...
Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #399
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Posco cast a desperate look towards Blanco, and Blanco realized it was being asked of him to tell about their lives. And so he did, trying to fix his attention on Mira as she had been the one to ask the question. His gaze kept wandering back to Lily and he swallowed hard.

He told the story as he had done before. They came from Buckland, though they did not live in Brandy Hall, and they were in Bywater visiting an aunt of theirs. Marcho was a relative of theirs and Bingo was a friend. He pointed Marcho and Bingo out to Mira, wondering what Marcho would say if he knew how much he cared for Lily.

Things were growing quiet again, and it was not to Blanco's liking. "Come, come now!" he cried. "This silence is so quiet it's loud! Let us speak and be merry. Does anyone propose a song or a tale? Or maybe we could make plans for the morrow. We all seem to enjoy the company of each other - " and he smiled as he thought of Lily " - and so perhaps in the morning we could do something exciting together. What say you?"
Old 06-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #400
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

Vinca Bunce, widowed, Inn Cook (character played by Piosenniel)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

No violence is allowed in the Inn or on Inn grounds.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-28-2004 at 02:41 AM.