The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Similiar Beginnings?

When I first read Tolkien's Silmarillion, I was stricken by the likeness of Ainulindale to the beginning of Narnia series by C S Lewis. The beginning of world and life by singing, for instance, though of course the writing style is entirely different.

I am not sure if Lewis and Tolkien lived in the same century, but surely one of them must have been influenced by the other's eariler works. Or maybe this was chance.

Was Tolkien influenced by Lewis or was it the other way around?

But I'm not really knowledgeable on this point, and search program didn't load, so I would be grateful if someone gave me some links.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #2
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
The quick answer: JRRT and CSL were close friends. Do a google search for "the Inklings" if you want more info.

As for an Ainulindale v. Magician's Nephew comparison: I hadn't noticed it before. Now that I think about it, I can see fundamental similarities - they both, like the creation account in Genesis, are about purposeful creation rather than gods messing around and accidentaly making the world - and I can see some superficial similarities - singing - but there are also significant differences - eg: number of singers, the timing and nature of the entrance of evil into the world, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Tolkien probably wrote the first drafts (at least) of his stuff before Lewis wrote The Magician's Nephew (which wasn't written until the mid-50's, iirc). Whether Tolkien shared the Ainulindale with Lewis or the other Inklings, I don't know.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
He did (read it out to Inklings). Even more so to Lewis than to Inklings in general, what with Lewis being the closest friend at a time. It is often with and thanks to Lewis' approval and moral support Tolkien was plucking up courage to write on (since he was always sure that nothing of his writings will be ever published)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For more about Tolkien and Lewis and their influence on each other, take a look at Tolkien and Lewis, also Did CS Lewis influence tolkiens writings in any way??. Using the search function for both names yields many more interesting discussions to read.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

you may or may have not noticed the similarities to the bible, if any of you hav read it.